https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (31/03/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 31, 2013, 07:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chelsea target Wilfried Bony set for summer exit from Vitesse Arnhem

Wilfried Bony: Set to leave Vitesse in the summer

Wilfried Bony's agent has refused to confirm reports of interest from Chelsea but admits the striker will leave Vitesse Arnhem in the summer.

Bony has scored 26 goals for the Eredivisie side so far this season and agent Dalibor Lacina is convinced the time has come for the player to test himself at a higher level.

"The most important thing is for Bony to keep his form and reach the best possible position with Arnhem," said Lacina, quoted in Czech newspaper Blesk.

"But at the same time we have been negotiating his exit, which we must make happen in the summer.

"It is a sensitive matter and the Arnhem management have asked me not to make any comments.

"All the pieces of information that have been published are, for the most part, speculation which I do not want to comment on.

"We have been in talks with some specific clubs and as well as that there is a group of big clubs which are waiting in the wings."

The Ivory Coast international has been linked with a move to London in recent weeks with Chelsea, West Ham and Fulham all reportedly targeting the 24-year-old forward.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8606862/?

WhiteJC

Jol's QPR Preview

Martin Jol is looking forward to Monday evening's (8pm) local derby against Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage.

It is a fixture that is eagerly awaited by the Fulham faithful and our Manager is no different, despite the lack of meetings between the two sides over the years.

"Our supporters will always tell you that this is a very good and big derby," Jol said in his pre-match press conference on Saturday afternoon. "Although I didn't see a lot of matches against QPR over the last 25 years, they are in the Barclays Premier League now so this will be only the fourth time we've played them [in the Premier League].

"But it's our neighbours, like Chelsea. I always like to play against Chelsea - that's a nice derby game for us. Spurs was nice for me, hopefully for the fans as well, but that was North-East. QPR is in the area, like Chelsea, so we will look forward to it.

"I said to Giorgos Karagounis this morning 'do you know this is a derby game?' He said 'of course I know!' So that is the only thing, to make them all aware that this is an important game for everybody at this Club, especially the supporters.

"We played an awful game away from home against them but that was one of our worst games in the last two years, so we want to put that right."

Easter Monday is likely to see ex-Whites forward Bobby Zamora return to Craven Cottage for the first time since his departure in January 2012.

Zamora has struggled with injuries this term and while Jol admits his former player has been hampered by his fitness, he acknowledged the threat he poses when firing on all cylinders.

"Bobby wanted to move and he thought he could help QPR and for them, after our game, hopefully he will help them," he explained. "I think that if Bobby is fit and sound then he can help any team, because he's a good striker.

"When he played [for Fulham] he did ever so well but I think he missed 30 or 40 per cent of the games. He's got all the qualities but, at the time, I had players like Andy Johnson and Orlando Sa, who was third choice, so when Bobby was not there we had a problem up front and that was why we changed it. Now we've got Mladen Petrić, Hugo Rodallega and Dimitar Berbatov and, touch wood, most of the time they are fit to select.

"Don't forget that he [Zamora] wanted that move and we got Pavel Pogrebnyak in and we were very lucky as he scored six goals, so everyone was happy. Bobby was happy with his move and we were happy with Pogrebnyak."

Rangers are currently seven points from safety at the foot of the Premier League – a gap which may well have widened come kick-off on Monday – but our Manager insists that they still have time to get themselves out of trouble.

"If you look at Wigan Athletic, they were bottom of the table in the past and every year they seem to get out of it," Jol said. "You couldn't say that QPR did everything wrong but they had to transform their team and they bought a lot of players – 12, 13 players when Mark Hughes was there.

"You need to play with a settled team – that is what you need at any level if you want to do well. Harry Redknapp had to change again but if they get two wins then it will be exciting again, so it's not over.

"In England you can't say that it is over eight games before the end. I agree with Harry that if they manage to win four or five, then they could still survive."

Jol also revealed some disappointing news regarding Mahamadou Diarra's fitness in his press conference, before explaining that two of his players will require late assessments before a decision is made regarding their involvement on Monday.

"Team news is that of course Diarra had an operation so he won't be available this season," he stated. "Eyong Enoh will have a fitness test on Sunday and we'll have to make an assessment on Bryan Ruiz – so it's just the three of them."

Fulham go into the local derby on the back of hugely positive news, with Captain Brede Hangeland extending his stay in SW6.

The influential centre back signed a new two-year deal (with the option of a further year) this week and Jol was delighted to see the 31-year-old commit his future to the Club.

"We are ever so satisfied that he signed his contract because you never know," he admitted. "It was quite challenging to try to keep him but I always knew that he wanted to stay here.

"He was a tower of strength this year, last year, before I came, so you never know [what would happen] because he was on a free at the end of the year. It took a long time so we did everything we could and it was a happy ending for us last week and the start of this week when we knew that he would sign his contract. Then he came up on Thursday to sign it and that was quite a relief."

The Dutchman was also quizzed on the future of Sascha Riether and the Fulham boss gave an answer that will please Whites fans immensely.

"It's the same as with my contract," he explained. "They took that option with me in October and they [the press] still talk about it. With Sascha Riether, we've got an option on him, so it's an easy one. I'm very keen to keep him – we've got an option, as I said, so if we want to keep him, we will keep him. And we want to keep him."

There are a limited number of tickets still available for Monday's showdown with Queens Park Rangers.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/30/jols-qpr-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham forward is major doubt for QPR derby clash

BRYAN Ruiz is a serious Fulham doubt for the derby clash against QPR on Monday after picking up a hamstring injury during international week.

Martin Jol reckons he will give his forward (pic) every chance to recover with an assessment due tomorrow (Sunday) – but the manager sounded none too confident.

He said: "Bryan played two games – one in unbelievable snow and one in 30 degrees of heat.

"His hamstring is a bit of a problem, and we may have to come up with a solution for a different forward line."

On loan Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh is also out as is Mahamadou Diarra, but everyone else reported back fit for Monday night's test Jol insists will prolong the relegation battle all the way to the wire.

He added: "QPR are desperate for points – but we need them as well.

"I remember a couple of seasons back teams like Blackpool and Birmingham were mid-table but they still got relegated.

"We need a couple of wins, because I think one of the teams around us (in mid-table) will go down."

However, Jol was delighted Brede Hangeland has signed a new contract that sees the central defender and captain staying until 2015 – with a year's option after that.

The manager said: "I thought I could lose him, because he was on a free (transfer) and it took a long time."

"You never know what might happen, but I always knew he wanted to stay here."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/03/30/82029-33089514/?#ixzz2P69gc9OG

WhiteJC

The Return Of Bobby Zamora
by LRCN on MARCH 30, 2013

I remember feeling genuine shock when Bobby Zamora's transfer from Fulham to QPR was announced. In fact I was so disappointed I treated the situation at the time with complete apathy. It really was a demoralising blow to lose a striker who had been so key to our success over the last few seasons and won who earnt a lot of adulation, if not love, for his stunning 19 goal season during that incredible Europa League run – to our most vicious rivals, no less! But hindsight is a wonderful thing; we've gone from strength to strength since he left, and his immediate replacement, Pavel Pogrebnyak, coincided with a fantastic run of form, demonstrating that actually Zamora was maybe more of a hindrance to the team than a help by the time of his departure. Monday marks the first time Zamora will line up in QPR colours since his switch, and as such it's a good opportunity to have a look at a player who I appreciate, but can probably never really respect again.

The supporter-player dynamic between the fans on the Cottage terraces and Zamora himself was fascinating however. There was a genuine love-hate relationship, with fans wanting him to score goals for the good of the team and demonstrate limited appreciation without ever really warming to a player who visibly disliked them.

After a catastrophic goal return over his first few months at Fulham – after a goal on his debut in August he didn't score again until we beat non-league Kettering in the FA cup – a number of fans were on his back. The supporters were split into two camps: those with him (responsible for the "his hold up play" cliché which became a running joke) and those against him. It was a huge shame though that there was even an "against him" camp for a player who did genuinely contribute significantly on the pitch to our highest ever league finish despite his lack of goals, and who showed little negative contribution really (you could never question his work rate and he didn't say anything out of turn). The abuse was vicious and unnecessary and I do have some genuine sympathy for him.

However, there were two paths Zamora could have gone down after this. He could have risen above it and taken the one Chris Baird has since travelled; the Irishman has certainly undergone a remarkably transformation from boo-boy to cult hero. Instead, Zamora took the other and responded in kind. After Kettering he scored twice more in the 2008-09 season, both in front of his home crowd and both celebrated with a hand cupped to his ear as if to say "So what're you saying now?" before hurling a few choice comments of his own at the stand.

This was the start of a frosty acquaintanceship, whereby Zamora would generally celebrate as if he just discovered his wife was being unloyal before cupping his ear to the crowd. There were a couple of extreme episodes between the striker and the infamous Babygrow Man, a fan at the front of the Hammy End who did not like Zamora nor think much of his ability and let it be known too, so when Zamora scored against Sunderland at home at the Putney End he turned, pointed, mimed himself eating a burger (presumably in reference to Babygrow man's large belly) before quite clearly yelling "f*** off" in Babygrow's direction. A surreal moment but a very real demonstration of how Zamora felt.

Then there were his inexcusable actions while he was managed by Martin Jol. The two clearly didn't get on and Jol implied as much in his press conferences, once saying "He does't like crosses, he doesn't like defending, he doesn't like the fans.", but in that situation both parties must remain professional. Zamora instead leaked information to the press about players discontent in what really amounts to slander. Zamora's exit was inevitable and clearly motivated, even if he tried to cover it up with a false impress of QPR's ambition.

As I said, it was a real shame that this is how Zamora chose to behave. While I do not, and would never, condone malice from the stands – and would even go as far to say as if you give some then you should expect some back – I believe Zamora could have been a genuine legend in the same ilk as McBride had he chosen to behave differently. Strong, hard-working and possessing genuine guile and quality following a rocky career carved in the lower leagues, when on song Zamora was undeniably supreme (just ask Cannavaro!) and just the sort of player we love to support. Instead, we are left unfortunately disliking someone who fired us to a European final and unable to celebrate a forward's 19 goal season.

So when Zamora returns on Monday, expect a chorus of boos and a player utterly determined to bite back. A crying shame indeed.

LRCN

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/03/the-return-of-bobby-zamora/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol relieved to retain Fulham captain Brede Hangeland for another two years

Martin Jol has described Fulham captain Brede Hangeland as the club's "tower of strength" after the defender signed a new deal.

The 31-year-old ended speculation over his future by agreeing a new two-year contract earlier this week following months of negotiations.

Hangeland would have been eligible to leave Craven Cottage on a free transfer at the end of the season, but Jol is delighted he has committed until the summer of 2015.

Jol said: "We are ever so satisfied that he signed his contract because you never know. It was quite challenging trying to keep him.

"It was quite exciting because I thought I could lose him. He was a tower of

strength this year, last year and before I came here.

"He was on a free at the end of the year. It took a long time. We did everything and in the end it was a happy ending for us. He came in to sign it on Thursday and it was a relief.

"I don't think it is extraordinary that a player like Hangeland wants to stay here. All the players want to play here in London for Fulham.

"He can be grateful and we are happy he is staying. He is a very good player, one of the best players in the division in his position."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8607368/?

WhiteJC

Jol relieved to tie Hangeland down to new deal and admits he feared an exit

Fulham manager Martin Jol goes into tomorrow's west London derby against QPR admitting he is relieved to have secured the services of the club's "tower of strength".

Jol persuaded captain and central defender Brede Hangeland to sign a new two-year deal this week which he believes could be the platform for mid-table Fulham to progress next season.

The 31-year-old Norwegian, who has been in contract talks for months, has been the rock at the heart of Fulham's defence this season and could have left Craven Cottage on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Jol said: "We are ever so satisfied that he signed his contract because you never know. It was quite challenging trying to keep him.

"It was quite exciting because I thought I could lose him. He was a tower of strength this year, last year and before I came here. He was on a free at the end of the year. It took a long time. We did everything and in the end it was a happy ending for us.

"He came in to sign it on Thursday and it was a relief."

Jol believes keeping the club skipper is a measure of the progress of the London club who have established a secure base in the middle of the Premier League while attracting players such as Hugo Rodallega, Bryan Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov.

Jol said: "I don't think it is extraordinary that a player like Hangeland wants to stay here. All the players want to play here in London for Fulham. He can be grateful and we are happy he is staying. He is a very good player, one of the best players in the division in his position."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_relieved_to_tie_hangeland_down_to_new_deal_and_admits_he_feared_an_exit_1_1997525

WhiteJC

Fulham did well out of losing Zamora claims boss

MARTIN Jol reckons losing Bobby Zamora to neighbours QPR was good business for Fulham. The Whites made a reported £7million out of the deal that sees the striker (pic) returning on Monday night for the first time since the switch in January 2012.

And the Fulham boss insists it was Zamora who wanted to quit the Cottage, even if it conveniently freed up room for new players less injury prone.

Jol explained: "If Bobby is fit and sound he is a great player, and played in the national team.

"But when Bobby was not there we had a problem up front, and that was why we changed it.

"Now we have Petric, Rodallega and Berbatov – and most of the time they are fit."

Jol hopes Zamora doesn't come back to haunt him in the derby clash, but has a lot of sympathy for the neighbours up the road who need a minor miracle to escape the drop.

Jol said: "QPR had to transform the team with 13 or so new players. There was a lot of getting out and getting in. We had the same problem, and it was only two or three players.

"We played with a settled team after January and that has made all the difference. But I agree with Harry (QPR boss Redknapp) that if they get four or five wins they will escape."

Jol has demanded his team right the wrongs of a 2-1 defeat to Hoops at Loftus Road in December – a reverse that was also a first win of the season for Rangers.

The manager said: "That was a different team but we played an awful game, one of our worst games, and we want to put that right."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/03/30/82029-33089771/?#ixzz2P6B12Hbf

WhiteJC

Brede winner: Fulham relieved Hangeland snubbed QPR to stay at Craven Cottage

PLUS: Harry Redknapp gets away from Rangers' relegation worries by taking his dogs for a walk

Tower of power: Hangeland has agreed a two-year contract extension
Julian Finney

Fulham boss Martin Jol admits he is ­ relieved that captain Brede Hangeland has signed a new contract in time to face derby rivals QPR – who were at the front of the queue to buy him, writes Chris Hatherall.

Hangeland was heavily linked with a move to Loftus Road, but agreed a new two-year contract to keep him with the Cottagers until at least 2015, with an option to extend it a year.

"We are ever so satisfied that he signed his contract because you never know," said Jol prior to tomorrow's match between the sides.

"It was quite challenging trying to keep him. I thought I could lose him – and he was a tower of strength this year, last year and before I came here. I always thought he wanted to stay, but you never know.

"He was on a free at the end of the year and it took a long time. But we did
everything and in the end it was a happy outcome.

"He came to sign it on Thursday and it was a ­relief. He is one of the best players in the division, he is our skipper and a very nice man. So, we're very pleased to keep him."

Hangeland's decision is in stark contrast to Bobby Zamora, who quit ­mid-table Fulham for a relegation battle at QPR, tempted by a bigger ­contract. But Jol feels the deal has worked out well.

"Bobby wanted to move," he insisted. "He thought he could help QPR and, if he's fit, he can help any team as he's a good striker."

Ruff time: Redknapp gets away from relegation worries by walking the dog

It's a London thing: Redknapp hopes to pick up points against capital clubs
Ross Kinnaird

It's a dog's life for Harry Redknapp right now as the QPR boss tries to save his side from relegation.

The Rangers boss takes his rock-bottom side to west London rivals ­Fulham ­tomorrow, desperate for a victory to give them the slightest chance of ­survival.

Away from the grim ­relegation battle, the former Tottenham manager is ­keeping his cool by walking his dogs.

"If I didn't enjoy it, I would pack up, but I do enjoy it. I love it," Redknapp said.

"I go and walk the dogs. One of them only wants to walk for five minutes.

"He looks at me as if to say, 'Harry, I've had enough'.

"That's what you have to do. I never turn off, I am ­always on the phone or thinking about football and the team, but you have to handle it.

"If I had stayed out of the game longer, then I might not have come back.

"I started to enjoy my life. There's a lot of other things I could do."

Redknapp's team is desperate for a victory tomorrow to give them a glimmer of hope of beating the drop.

And the former Spurs and West Ham boss believes solid form in the capital could be his saving grace, after getting wins at home to Fulham and at Chelsea ­already this season.

"Three points could be so big for us if we can get them. It will be a good game," Redknapp said.

"We drew with Tottenham at home and we drew at West Ham, so I think we are ­unbeaten in London – and I hope that continues."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-vs-qpr-preview-martin-1793693?

WhiteJC

Hannover cure: Fulham enter chase for former Manchester United striker Diouf

Senegal striker has scored 10 goals in the Bundesliga this season but has rejected a contract extension

The Mame man: Diouf spent three years at United
Joern Pollex

Fulham are chasing former Manchester United striker Mame Diouf.

Diouf has rejected a ­contract extension at ­Hannover, where he has scored 10 Bundesliga goals this season.

The 25-year-old Senegal international spent three years at Old Trafford, ­scoring just one Premier League goal.

Diouf's current Hannover contract expires in 2014 and he is also being watched by Borussia Dortmund.

Meanwhile, Martin Jol is relieved that Brede Hangeland has signed a new deal.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-transfer-news-mame-diouf-1794348?

WhiteJC

Redknapp: Keeping QPR up would top taking Spurs into the Champions League

Harry Redknapp has two mobile phones of a vintage none of his players would recognise on his desk at the old-fashioned training ground Queen's Park Rangers rent near Heathrow Airport.

Behind him the names of those players are scattered randomly on a magnetic board, offering little clue as to the team Redknapp will pick to play a crucial London derby against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday night.

He reads out a message from one of his phones. 'Someone from Ghana has told me I have to read Psalm 91 every day, as this is highly important if Rangers are to stay up,' he said. 'It's signed, Bismarck. Of all the names to have I've got someone called Bismarck offering me help to stay afloat!'

The great escape: Harry Redknapp says keeping QPR up would be a great achievement

It is unlikely that the sinking of the German battleship in World War II will resonate with the likes of Chris Samba, Loic Remy, Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend, all signed in the January transfer window to reinforce the squad Redknapp inherited — along with just four Premier League points — from Mark Hughes five months ago.

But Redknapp's sense of humour, as well as his fierce pride in his abilities as a manager, are to be vital elements in Rangers' do-or-die approach to the final eight games of the season.

At 66, Redknapp's lifetime in football has immunised him from fear of the future. 'I want to do well for QPR, the club and the fans, but I don't worry about getting the sack or about how I'm going to make a living,' he said. 'Whatever happens, it's not going to change my life now.

Going through the emotions: The relegation battle has seen highs and lows for Redknapp this season

'Don't get me wrong, your pride's at stake and I still get knocked for six when we lose games we could have won, like our last match at Aston Villa. I still have nothing much else on my mind other than trying to think how we can get out of this situation.

I am always thinking about the team, the way we have to approach games. Without a doubt, keeping Rangers in the Premier League would top taking Tottenham into the Champions League.

Managing a football club is a big job and your life is consumed by it. But I was speaking with a friend today whose wife has been taken to hospital and it doesn't look very good. When you hear things like that, how important is what we do? It really ain't that important, is it?'

Redknapp has watched panic spread through the Premier League as Nigel Adkins lost his job at Southampton, only to resurface last week at another relegation-threatened club, Reading, after Brian McDermott was sacked.

Down and out: QPR's Park Ji Sung, Stephen Mbia, Clint Hill and Jermaine Jenas look dejected after defeat to Aston Villa

Uphill struggle: Redknapp must lift players like Jenas for the remaining games of the season

Both Adkins and McDermott had taken their respective clubs into the Premier League but became victims of foreign owners anxious to secure a £60million windfall from Sky for those avoiding relegation.

'Managers in the Championship must wonder if winning promotion is worth it in the long run,' said Redknapp.

'If they don't do well straight away in the Premier League, there is a real chance they will lose their jobs. You are only a few games away from being under pressure. It's crazy. These owners make a big  success of their businesses, then don't understand why their football team is not top of the league.

'You didn't need to be a genius to predict Reading would be near the bottom and that Wigan would be down there again.'

Sticking together: QPR need to maintain their team spirit to get out of trouble

Redknapp, however, excludes Wigan chairman Dave Whelan from his critique. 'I am big fan of Dave Whelan,' he said.

'He's an ex-footballer who built a successful business and he runs a club that do fantastically well without having big sums of money to spend. People like Dave deserve all the credit in the world.'

Redknapp is also quick to praise Wigan manager, Roberto Martinez, and can even see an England role for the Spaniard.

'If we want to talk about playing on the world stage, and keeping possession of the ball, really playing like the Spanish, we should look at Roberto,' said Redknapp. 'We never control games, do we? It would be interesting to have someone like Martinez involved with England, whether on a part-time basis with the Under-21s, or with the full team after Roy (Hodgson) has retired. 

Big fan: Redknapp praised the work of Wigan owner Dave Whelan and manager Roberto Martinez

'Right now, though, I have to try to push Roberto and his club closer to relegation by beating them Wigan at Loftus Road on Sunday.'

Redknapp claims he was growing accustomed to living outside football's incestuous village after being fired by Tottenham at the end of last season, shortly after Hodgson had been appointed England manager when the public clamour to put the national team under the control of Redknapp had been deafening. 'The longer I was out of the game the more I was quite enjoying my life,' said Redknapp.

He hates being away from his wife, Sandra, and their home in Dorset for more than a night. 'It's true, I like being home,' he said. 'I get rid of any stress I might be feeling by taking my dogs for an hour-long walk; even if the older one looks at me and groans because he only wants to go out for five minutes! Me and Sandra are pretty quiet. If I have to go to a function, they usually have to drag me there and I guarantee I'll be first out the door.'

He did attend a dinner in Suffolk on Thursday night for a friend but, during the drive back to Dorset, Redknapp would have been thinking of the game with Fulham. 'We need 14 points from somewhere and the games with Fulham and Wigan are massive,' said Redknapp. 'It was always going to be difficult to stay up but I think we will do it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2301608/Harry-Redknapp-says-keeping-QPR-Premier-League-biggest-achievement-career.html#ixzz2P6CLf07r
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz an injury doubt

USA TODAY Sports

Bryan Ruiz has been revealed as an injury doubt for Fulham's Monday clash with Queens Park Rangers.

Fulham forward is major doubt for QPR derby clash - Fulham FC - Fulham Chronicle

BRYAN Ruiz is a serious Fulham doubt for the derby clash against QPR on Monday after picking up a hamstring injury during international week.

Martin Jol reckons he will give his forward (pic) every chance to recover with an assessment due tomorrow (Sunday) – but the manager sounded none too confident.

He said: "Bryan played two games – one in unbelievable snow and one in 30 degrees of heat.

"His hamstring is a bit of a problem, and we may have to come up with a solution for a different forward line."

This is going to be a problem for Fulham, and for Dimitar Berbatov's fantasy owners. The Bulgarian has returned to form as he's been returned to the tip of Fulham's attack. Without Ruiz behind him, he's not as effective. In fact, he'll likely be the player to drop deeper, with Hugo Rodallega or Mladen Petric playing as the number 9.

http://www.nevermanagealone.com/2013/3/30/4165802/bryan-ruiz-an-injury-doubt?

WhiteJC

DIMITAR BERBATOV AND MARTIN JOL SMILES BETTER

FULHAM boss Martin Jol admits the ­Cottagers will never win the title – but he's happy.

And so is the usually sour-faced Dimitar Berbatov.

"We must be doing something right. Even he smiles these days," said Jol.

The Dutchman reckons Fulham have spent 14 years in the Premier League by doing everything right.

He said: "We don't punch above our weight. We punch our weight. We have a package that doesn't make it hard to sign good players.

"Berbatov is a good example. We have to thank Manchester United here for allowing him to leave but once we started talking, Dimi was keen to join.

"We are a reasonably successful side, we are based in London and have a famous history. Players like to join us. The Premier League should never be under-estimated. We accept we will never win the title, we can dream but we also need to be realistic.

"We are London's Everton, solid, ­dependable and with a fair wind blowing we might have a chance of a Champions League place one day.

"We also unearth decent players now and again and manage to keep them. Brede Hangeland is an example. He is wanted by many clubs and could have gone for nothing in the summer.

"But he decided to stay with us, sign a new contract and we have another happy ending."

Fulham meet QPR today anxious to move closer to Jol's 40-point safety mark.

"Two wins will do it, then I hope we can climb higher," he said.

"But I have warned my side it is not achieved yet. I agree with Harry Redknapp and say a decent run can ensure Rangers' safety."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/306625/?

WhiteJC

Football: Hangeland extends with Fulham

Norway international and Fulham captain Brede Hangeland has signed a two-year contract extension with the London Premier League club.

The 31-year-old's new deal also includes an option for a further year.

A statement on Fulham's website confirmed the extension: "Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce that captain Brede Hangeland has signed a two-year extension to his current contract, with an option for a further year, which will keep the defender at the club until at least the summer of 2015."

Hangeland, whose existing deal was due to expire at the end of the season, joined Fulham from FC Copenhagen in January 2008 and has since made 233 appearances for the club in all competitions.

"I'm so happy, delighted," Hangeland said on fulhamfc.com, and continued: "I've loved my time with Fulham. It's been a little over five years and I've felt right at home from the very first game."

Hangeland has played 70 matches with the Norwegian national team.

(NRK/Aftenposten)

http://www.norwaypost.no/index.php/sport/ball-sports/28351-football-hangeland-extends-with-fulham?

WhiteJC

QPR boss insists ignored ace has part to play ahead of Fulham clash

Queen's Park Rangers boss Harry Redknapp insists Adel Taarabt he has a major part to play in the club's Barclays Premier League survival fight as they prepare to head to Fulham on Monday.

The mercurial Moroccan was left out by Redknapp as Rangers boosted their hopes with two recent wins, before returning as a substitute in their 3-2 defeat to Aston Villa last time out.

But Redknapp rejected suggestions that his decision to leave Taarabt out of the side had anything to do with his belief that the player lacks the stomach for a tough survival fight.

Redknapp said: "Adel was fantastic when he came on against Villa and he is still very much in the frame.

"We need Adel for the last eight games to be a part of what we are trying to do. People look at him and think he doesn't care but he does - I think he cares very much about we do.

"It's up to him. If he works hard with the ball and without the ball and does his job for the team, he's still got a big part to play."

Redknapp insists the defeat at Villa has not knocked his belief that the club can clamber to survival, and says his side's performance in the 3-2 loss gave him extra confidence.

Redknapp added: "Obviously ourselves and Reading are in a difficult position but there are seven or eight other teams involved in it.

"I still feel we can get out of it and nothing has changed my belief. We played so well at Villa we could have come in at half-time three or four up. We've got to go on a little run now and get the results we need.

"If we were in bad form we'd be more worried. We're playing very well, we're in a good form so it gives us a chance.

"At least we're going into the last eight games knowing we're playing well. If we were going into it playing very poorly I'd be more worried. I still think there are four or five wins left in us."

Redknapp has no more injury concerns following the international break, with striker Bobby Zamora back in contention after using the break to rid himself of his problematic knee injury.

http://www.london24.com/sport/qpr/qpr_boss_insists_ignored_ace_has_part_to_play_ahead_of_fulham_clash_1_1997591