watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Left back

Started by domprague, April 02, 2013, 05:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domprague

Please, Martin, get a Reither equivalent on the left flank. We've tried Riise, Briggs and Richardson there and none has convinced. Second half last night QPR were doing what they liked down our left side.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

God The Mechanic

Sammyffc

richardson should be starting over rise in my opinion

Fernhurst

Quote from: domprague on April 02, 2013, 05:01:04 PM
Please, Martin, get a Reither equivalent on the left flank. We've tried Riise, Briggs and Richardson there and none has convinced. Second half last night QPR were doing what they liked down our left side.

Yes, very apparent from my seat.... but Mr Emanuelson was not carrying out his part of the duty load.
Riise should have been screaming for help
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I don't think we need a new left back, I think we need to integrate Richardson. His best game in a Fulham shirt was against Wigan when he played left back but wasn't allowed a run after picking up an injury and Riise hit some alright form when he came back.

As said in another post, to give our left side the same effect that the right has, we should think about playing Richardson and Frei.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on April 02, 2013, 05:11:29 PM
I don't think we need a new left back, I think we need to integrate Richardson. His best game in a Fulham shirt was against Wigan when he played left back but wasn't allowed a run after picking up an injury and Riise hit some alright form when he came back.

He's been injured a fair few times already though.  I'd see that as part of the problem, not part of the solution.  A LOT of work is gonna need to be done his summer in my opinion, and left back is one of those positions that I hope will be looked at.

JackyFulham90

Riise has done well he has plenty to offer still but I agree we should be looking to move Richardson to be a regular there

Riverside

All about combinations
Riise is fine with Duff in front of him
But Urby , Kaca , Frie do not give the defensive cover .

But agreed we need to look at left back
Riise has at best one more season
Briggs . Jury is still out .
Richardson not fit enough

Jamie88

To be honest, from what I've seen I'd give Kavanagh a go ahead of Briggs..just throwing it out there.

Barrie

Quote from: Jamie88 on April 02, 2013, 06:31:34 PM
To be honest, from what I've seen I'd give Kavanagh a go ahead of Briggs..just throwing it out there.

I'd go with this.  Briggs' defending scares me.  I like what I saw of Kavanagh, he looked capable defensively (admittedly only playing young opposition) and seemed to be competent supporting the left sided midfielder too. 

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Jamie88 on April 02, 2013, 06:31:34 PM

He was superb in the Dallas Cup, got a great cross and a first class dead ball on him but I wouldn't chuck him in yet. See how he progresses throughout next season.

domprague

I agree on Richardson, looked good when he was fit but that hasn't been often enough.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

JackyFulham90

I think in Riise, Richardson & Briggs we have enough quality at left back, would rather see us sign a centre midfielder & centre back with pace they should be priority

Stefano Okaka Chuka

I am afraid Riise, Richardson and Briggs are not the answer. We have a problem in that role since Konchesky left us...
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

SKSW6

Richardson hasn't played enough for everyone to be saying he should be our number one left back imo. He played well for the very short time he was there and should be given a chance, but there's no telling that he'll be that much better than Riise.

HatterDon

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on April 02, 2013, 11:52:47 PM
I am afraid Riise, Richardson and Briggs are not the answer. We have a problem in that role since Konchesky left us...

All three of the players you mentioned were upgrades on Konchesky. I'd have payed Liverpool to take him from us.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

twang

Quote from: HatterDon on April 02, 2013, 11:58:33 PM

All three of the players you mentioned were upgrades on Konchesky. I'd have payed Liverpool to take him from us.

It's funny how people see things so different, IMHO Konch probably is the best left back we've had since Bonissell.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on April 02, 2013, 11:58:33 PM

Briggs above Konch??? I didn't think Konchesky was that bad but it seems Hodgson knows how to get the best out of shite full backs if you look how Konchesky's and Pantsil's careers have gone. He was a decent player but his football IQ was not always there.

MasterHaynes

If we beat Newcastle I'd like to see a few of the dallas cup winners given 10-15 minutes against Arsenal and Liverpool so we can see what they can do and also to give real encouragement to all the youngsters that this is the club where they will be given an opportunity.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: MasterHaynes on April 03, 2013, 09:08:46 AM
If we beat Newcastle I'd like to see a few of the dallas cup winners given 10-15 minutes against Arsenal and Liverpool so we can see what they can do and also to give real encouragement to all the youngsters that this is the club where they will be given an opportunity.

Definitely wouldn't chuck them in against teams like Arsenal and Liverpool.  If it goes badly it could absolutely crush them!