News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How long can Berba play at this level for?

Started by jelmo, April 03, 2013, 05:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelmo

Berba recently turned 32. THis is usually the age where top players careers start to wind down and they become less effective.

However, with Berbatov's energy conserving style (which some commentators/fans wrongly class as lazy) I think he can play the way he is doing right now for 3 more years.

His game relies on skill, touch, vision and power as opposed to pace and extreme fitness levels. His best qualities are the last to leave a player whereas his lesser qualities eg pace are the first.

This may be just wishful thinking on my part though!

BarryP

I don't believe it is wishful thinking at all to believe that Berbatov could play several more seasons with the same effectiveness.  I could be wrong but with today's focus on fitness and the improved medical care that players receive it seems the average age that players are able to maintain their top playing ability to is rising.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Admin

I think he'll only remain at Fulham for another season though.

JackyFulham90

He has 3 years in him still for sure as he has never relied on pace, he will stay at Fulham for aslong as Jol is manager as soon as he goes Berbatov will go

shnlwswlkr

He has said he wants to play until 40 so he must have some belief that he can go on for a while yet!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

MaxxiM

I think his goal is to stay for another 3 years at Fulham and join the 100 PL goals club. Then he will go back to CSKA Sofia for a year or two, but I believe he can play at least another 5 years on top level.

Riverside

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on April 03, 2013, 05:33:45 PM
He has 3 years in him still for sure as he has never relied on pace, he will stay at Fulham for aslong as Jol is manager as soon as he goes Berbatov will go

Agreed
So one more season at least

JackyFulham90

I genuinely hope Jol is here long term, look at Everton & Utd you only get success when you have a settled set up, Jol can attract big names, he loves football we won't get a better manager & I hope he is here long term

MaxxiM

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on April 03, 2013, 07:21:48 PM
I genuinely hope Jol is here long term, look at Everton & Utd you only get success when you have a settled set up, Jol can attract big names, he loves football we won't get a better manager & I hope he is here long term

.... and Arsenal although I am not sure if that is a good example :D

Oiseau

If we play him as a number nine and he stays up top on-the-shoulder, he won't need to rely on his speed (which will continue to deteriorate over the years.) His tricks and ball control shouldn't deteriorate as he ages. It's the players who rely on their speed and sprinting who tend to fade as they get older.

For this reason, Berbatov could keep on playing for quite some time, I think. It really depends on how he manages his fitness. There was a really great interview with Giggs by Gary Neville where he talks about the way in which he maintains his fitness at this stage in his career. It's extremely rigorous.

jelmo

I too hope Jol is here long term. Attracting players like Berba is a huge plus point. Lets hope they both stay for a while.

db9

The languid one can play at this level for (at least) another 5 years, if he wishes to.
I don't agree that he "never relied on pace" though. In recent years he had to adjust his style of play to best suit him and his teammates. In Tottenham and then Man Utd he was surrounded by pacey players and he acted like a playmaker for most of the time there. Here's a goal he scored against Charlton in his first year in the Premier league:

berbatov vs charlton

CanadianCottager

Has a touch of Zizou to him Berbatov, you get the feeling he could keep playing at a top level until he's 40. An intelligent, technical footballer like him will always be able to find a role on the pitch. Hope he stays at Fulham for much longer.

RaySmith

I'm sure  Berba has a few years in him left - but not sure how long he will want to stay at Fulham, though. Hopefully next season, anyway.

Count Berbatov

Fellas, he'll stay for as long as you reach Europe again. Which will be next year. After that, wherever Jol goes.
The question the OP asked was, how long he could keep up. I'd say his game will adjust in 3 years, to a more withdrawn forward, behind someone quick like Rodallega. Might as well be at Fulham in a 4-4-2. 
Fulham with a bit of luck, could be doing what Everton is doing. On a regular bases. Even this season, without the last min goals conceived and with the points dropped, you could have been ahead of Pool, Toffees, Le arse even..  can't believe you don't see or recognize the quality you've got.
You're a central midfielder away from being a real force.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Delboy

As long as Fulham offer him Prem football and Jol is here then there is probably no reason for him to change clubs. MJ will always play him and that seems to be his criteria for being at FFC. As said above he will eventually end his days in Bulgaria, possibly at Sofia, where some of us visited three years ago. COYW

ron

Quote from: db9 on April 03, 2013, 09:06:52 PM
"The languid one...."

I like that epithet .... it suits his silky skills perfectly.....

...and it's a lot more flattering than "The Lazy Bulgar" *    that he has been called in the past.

* At least, that's what I think they were saying.  :022:

earlbeatty

Let's hope he can play on for a few more years yet.

At times it is a privilege to see him on a football pitch and in the black & white of Fulham!!

I think we've been very fortunate.

EB