watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy Hodgson - LEgend

Started by samv10, April 05, 2013, 01:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samv10

Roy Hodgson - The Best Fulham Moments everyone take a look at this video, such a great videos, shame about the end though...

Holders

Someone send it to him, please.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

A Humble Man

He did not improve our away form we just looked more disciplined in defeat. He is far from being a Legend.  In our long history we have never had a legendary manager. 
We Are Fulham, Believe.

LondonFulhamWhite

Quote from: A Humble Man on April 05, 2013, 07:18:57 AM
He did not improve our away form we just looked more disciplined in defeat. He is far from being a Legend.  In our long history we have never had a legendary manager. 

I agree he was crap.

It's not like he saved us from relegation by coming in and installing a new system, as well as bringing in Brede Hangeland at the same time, before going on to create a top 10 team the following season out of mid-air,and mostly with players from the last years team.

Oh, and then there was that Europa League run. That was prettty crap.

It's not like he set the foundations for everything that Fulham is today-top 10, classy, traditional and respected.

Nah, he's FAR From being a legend.

Some people are just clueless on this board...

b+w geezer

In our long history we have never had a legendary manager.  
Interesting. You set the bar high, but the L word ought to indeed to require that.

Hodgson is the closest shout since he did a far more remarkable job than you imply.  But while he re-established his domestic credentials with Fulham, he won't go down in history as overwhelmingly associated with us. So any L. status is essentially inhouse.

Other eminent managers in my time, apart from him, have been Stock, Keegan and Tigana, but again that's only partially-to-tangentially for what they achieved with us. And while Robson went on to be a L. elsewhere, he flopped horribly as a rookie manager at Fulham.

Adams was a (basically) one-season wonder for us, and rightly remembered as having done a great job here, and the same goes for Macdonald over two seasons. But neither really disproves your original point. Maybe someone prior to [where I came in] Vic Buckingham does, but the history books don't really imply so.

Holders

I think that a win at Man City from 2-0 down and at Portsmouth on the last day of the season is certainly an improvement in away form.

cmg

In our long history we have never had a legendary manager.

...or have we?

Jimmy Hogan came to Fulham from his native Lancashire and scored four goals in the 1906-7 Southern League championship winning season. He only played four games in our first ever Football League season, but he must have been impressed with the passing   game favoured by Fulham, because it informed his footballing philosophy for the rest of his life. He returned to Fulham as manager in 1934, but his coaching methods, involving passing, ball retention and skills training proved unpopular with the players and he was soon sacked. In between these brief Fulham interludes his life was something of an adventure and he became, arguably, the most influential coach in the history of the game.

He worked originally in Holland, where he is still regarded as one of the pioneers of the game and a distant originator of the modern Dutch game. He had moved on to Austria by the time WW1 broke out and was interned as an Alien. He was released to Hungary where he sowed the seeds of Hungarian football's later glory, but on return to his England was insulted by the FA so returned to continental Europe. He ended up coaching the Austrian national team, with the great Hugo Miesl, in the period of their greatest success. He continued his work in Hungary and then moved on to Switzerland where he continued his success and then brought his methods to Germany with Dresdener FC. Reading some recent histories of the development of the European game, one common thread emerges, Jimmy Hogan's name is revered everywhere (except in his own country).
When, in 1953, the Hungarians finally debunked the myth of English supremecy by winning 6-3 at Wembley, the following two quotes were noted. The President of the Hungarian FA said, "Jimmy Hogan taught us everything we know about football." And their great manager, Gustav Sebes said, "We played football as Jimmy Hogan taught us. When our football history is told, his name should be written in gold letters." Isn't that something, from the team that were then (and, arguably, remain) the best ever seeen?

So, Fulham's greatest ever manager...who many people have never heard of.

Pity us Brits thought we knew better.

Fulham1959

Jimmy Hogan  -  most interesting, cmg.  Thanks !

Holders

Interesting to read about Jimmy Hogan and sounds similar to Roy who, until recently, was also better known on the continent than here and is certainly still more respected there as a leading coach and thinker on the game. Look how many foreign managers come up to him and greet him with genuine warmth - he knows them personally and probably speaks their native tongue.

Of course he wasn't good enough for Liverpool for the simple reason that he came from Fulham and he was a "surprise appointment" for England because the media wanted their darling.

RaySmith

I think Roy will have legendary status because of that dramatic escape from relegation, and  helping Fulham to their only European cup final, apart from the  Inter Toto!; as well as the high  Prem  finishes. He  is by far our most successful manager, surely?

Other legendary Fulham managers might be ex-players who became managers, such as Bedford Jezzard, Chris Coleman and Malcolm Macdonald, though Bobby Robson is a legend as a player rather than manager. Also, Alex Stock, who took us to our only , so far, FA Cup Final.

Holders

Malcolm Macdonald could have been a legendary manager, so unlucky and was let down.

What do we rate as the greater achievement - to reach an FA Cup final when in the old 2nd or to get to the Europa Final?

b+w geezer

Quote from: Holders on April 05, 2013, 09:48:06 AM
Malcolm Macdonald could have been a legendary manager, so unlucky and was let down.

What do we rate as the greater achievement - to reach an FA Cup final when in the old 2nd or to get to the Europa Final?
The first was a really big deal at the time, since the Cup Final had so much more prestige than now (when it's just one of a zillion live games on-screen). However, in retrospect, only the win at Goodison was actually remarkable -- plus our second tier team did contain Moore and Mullery. The Europa seemed even more  amazing at the time, and is going to seem every bit as much to historians.

God The Mechanic

I wasn't around for the FA Cup run, but surely getting to a European final having beaten the likes of Shakhtar with all the money, Juve with all the... Juve, the German champions and the host city in the semis is one hell of a run?

Every team has legends, and not every team is "successful" in the trophy sense.  Hodgson saved the club from nearly guaranteed relegation, got a top 7 finish the next season and then took the team to a European final.  That's pretty damn legendary.

Holders

I remember the '75 Cup Final and we didn't really turn up that day. In the Europa Final at least we made a game of it, were just 4 minutes from penalties and who know what might have been with a fully-fit Zamora?

Artful Dodger

It's also about how we view certain people, as much as achievement. To me, Simon Morgan is a legend but it was only in the last couple of years he was associated with success. Hodgson is / was loved unanimously by all Fulham fans and not many achieve that - even Berbatov seems to split opinion! To close my argument, I give you three words - Europa Cup Final. Hodgson is a legend - no debate.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

alfie

Quote from: Artful Dodger on April 05, 2013, 11:17:45 AM
It's also about how we view certain people, as much as achievement. To me, Simon Morgan is a legend but it was only in the last couple of years he was associated with success. Hodgson is / was loved unanimously by all Fulham fans and not many achieve that - even Berbatov seems to split opinion! To close my argument, I give you three words - Europa Cup Final. Hodgson is a legend - no debate.

He achieved a lot here at Fulham but i hated his football style, seemed to me that his philosophy was try not to loose rather than try to win, very very defensive minded manager, but that is purely my own opinion, and i never call anyone a legend the word is thrown around by David Hamilton on a match day whenever any past players turns up.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Vinnieffc

:plus one:

A Humble Man

When we have a manager who win us a few titles, the FA Cup a number of times and at least one European Championship then we may be a legend.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: alfie on April 05, 2013, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: Artful Dodger on April 05, 2013, 11:17:45 AM

He achieved a lot here at Fulham but i hated his football style, seemed to me that his philosophy was try not to loose rather than try to win, very very defensive minded manager, but that is purely my own opinion, and i never call anyone a legend the word is thrown around by David Hamilton on a match day whenever any past players turns up.

I'm not suggesting for a second that any past player that turns up is a legend. Hodgson achieved something that none of us thought possible, far beyond the 'status' of Fulham. Half of us - myself included - didn't even think the Europa league was a good idea and concentrating on the league would have been better. But I tell you what - I went to Juve and then to the final and the latter was the best football day of my life, despite the result.

We scored 3 away at Basel and 5 against Juve in 2 games, so we weren't just about defensive football. But if you rather we went out 4-3 in the first round, then fair enough!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

A Humble Man

I think you will find Jol has a better points won per game ratio than Hodgson.

The word legend has been cheapened, examples of legends are:

Atlantis
The founding of Tenochtitlan, Aztec Capital
Big Foot
Cenodoxus, or the Damnation of the Good Doctor of Paris, told as an event justifying the sanctification of St Bruno
Celtic Legends
El Dorado
Fountain of Youth
Helen of Troy and the Trojan War
King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
Legends of Africa
Loch Ness Monster
Odysseus
Philosopher's stone
Robin Hood
Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome
Shangri-La
Táin Bó Flidhais
Vlad the Impaler; stories of his cruelty have attained legendary status, most likely spread after his death by his enemies.
William Tell
We Are Fulham, Believe.