watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Barry Mealand

Started by GorgeousGus, April 05, 2013, 08:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GorgeousGus

Just read on the Club Site that he had passed away - RIP - a player from the era where you spent nearly 7 years at the club and played less than 40 games. He was the reserve full-back to either Cohen or Langley and there were any number like him, Willie Watson, Reg Stratton, Ken Hewkins, Willie Stapleton who stayed at the club for ages, with both the player and the club content with their role - nowadays if you haven't made it at the end of your first year as a professional off you go cos there's 20 others waiting to take your place!
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."

bill taylors apprentice

I think he had his chance when Langley left but Brian Nichols took over.

RaySmith

I do remember him , though not very clearly. I also remember well South African,Ken Hewkins , out of the names you mention - the understudy to the great Macedo.

I remember getting their autographs rather than seeing them play - though I did see them when they came in  through injury.

A good servant to the club.

RIP.

TonyGilroy

He took over from Langley but broke his leg after only a few games at Arsenal. In truth he wasn't looking like an adequate replacement. Ultimately that was the always wonderful Fred Callaghan moving back from left half.

For me Jim Langley is by a mile the best left back we've had in my time. The reason we were relegated was that we simply couldn't replace players like Leggatt, Lowe, Cohen and Langley.