more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (06/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 06, 2013, 07:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

No Pressure

Bryan Ruiz believes Fulham can play with 'no pressure' at Newcastle United on Sunday (3pm).

The Whites' 3-2 win over West London rivals Queens Park Rangers on Monday night extended our unbeaten run to five and took Martin Jol's troops to the 39-point mark for the season.

In comparison, Newcastle sit just three points above the drop zone after two straight defeats. They were also beaten 3-1 by SL Benfica in their UEFA Europa League Quarter-Final First Leg on Thursday night.

"It's going to be a very difficult game as Newcastle really need the points," Ruiz told the official website. "But they have the pressure; they need to win. We are playing well so if we do the things we've been doing, then we will be fine and can play with no pressure."

Last season's surprise package, the Magpies may have failed to hit the same heights this term but Ruiz is still wary of the threat Alan Pardew's men can pose.

"Newcastle are doing well in the Europa League which shows they are a good team," said Ruiz. "They had a bad period this season but they still have some very good players and we'll need to take care of them."

The Whites are now just a point behind ninth-place Swansea City with a game in hand on the Welsh outfit. But Ruiz is looking even further up the table, stating: "We really want to win on Sunday as it will put us in a very good position to try and catch ninth, eighth or even seventh place. We're looking forward to the game."

The victory over struggling Rangers was hard-fought; Fulham had to defend heroically towards the end of the match having initially raced into a 3-0 lead.

"They were important points but we made it more complicated that we should have done," reflected Ruiz. "We had it at 3-0 but then at the end of the first half we gave away one ball and it cost us and they made it 3-1.

"When they got it back to 3-1 they started to believe and it was difficult. We started sloppily in the second half and it was very hard.

"But we got the win and we take confidence from every game we play well in and take points. Then you will play better and it's good for the team."

He added: "The season started very well. We had a difficult period but now we are back in the game again. It shows how tough the Barclays Premier League is but the fact it is so competitive is what I love about playing in England."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/05/no-pressure?

WhiteJC

Leading By Example

Fulhamfc.com caught up with Jack Grimmer – one of the Club's brightest prospects and captain of the Dallas Cup-winning squad.

Jack, first of all congratulations on the recent Dallas Cup success. How would you sum up the experience?

Well, the win itself was fantastic, but I have to say as well, that the week in general was just brilliant. The Dallas Cup is one of the best tournaments that I've played in as a young footballer – on and off the pitch, it was superb. A lot of big teams and big players have taken part in the competition over the years, so to come out on top as winners is a great achievement.

You guys turned heads in the process as well didn't you?

The stats look good; we didn't go behind once, we didn't concede too many goals and, at the other end, we scored for fun. That may suggest that it was easier than it actually was, but the reality is that we worked extremely hard and played some quality football. At times, I don't think our opponents could cope with that. We reacted well to the different styles and tactics, and always stuck to the game plan. Every player performed to the top of their game, and as a result we came home with the trophy.

A trophy you lifted as captain – did that make it even more special?

Of course, for me personally anyway. Throughout the whole week, I hadn't really thought about lifting the trophy, but then when the whistle went at the end of the Final it really sunk in. It was a nice experience and a great honour. That said, it isn't one player that wins a tournament – it's the whole squad and coaching staff. From the off, we had such a good team spirit and I think that helped us through.

Academy Director Huw Jennings picked you out as one of the tournament's standout players, highlighting your leadership qualities as vital components of the team's success. That must be great to hear?

It is yes, it's very pleasing. I felt a lot of pride when Steve Wigley named me as his captain, and with that role comes a lot of responsibility. I think all of the older players tried to lead by example, but perhaps we do have a little more experience than the younger boys and it was important to pass that on. I've always been a vocal player, and will talk to my teammates throughout a game. Playing at the back allows you to see the bigger picture of a match – it unfolds in front of you. It's nice to receive praise, but at the same time, I'm happy to take criticism too – it's part of the learning process. I was happy with my performances out in Dallas, but I'm also someone that thinks that they can always improve. I think it would be difficult to pick one player out, though, as there were so many that stood out.

The team's philosophy is all about being creative and moving the ball. But at the same time there was also a real steeliness about the way Fulham played. Alongside the likes of Stephen Arthurworrey, Josh Passley and Sean Kavanagh the defence provided a great platform for the rest to play from...

Well I've played with those three a lot for the Under-21s, so that helps. We're familiar with the way we all play, and know how to work as a defensive unit. We didn't give a lot away, and when you don't it always gives your team a chance. I think Solomon Sambou also deserves a special mention too - from the centre of midfield he offered the team great protection. Forget winning 50/50s, he wins the 70/30s that aren't even in his favour! Our young goalkeeper Marek Rodak was outstanding as well, he made some terrific saves. I like to think that the players in front, the more creative minded, know that they have that safety and freedom to go forward. That said, I think the defenders can play a bit too, I don't think there were too many players that produced more assists than Sean. Josh, Stephen and myself can bring the ball out from the back as well, so it was a very fluid team. Of course, though, first and foremost, we're there to keep the ball out.

As an individual, what did you take from the tournament in terms of your own development?

Although I have captained my country (Scotland) at youth level, I've never been a captain for that length of time before. After an international game, you can possibly step away a bit, but in Dallas it was 24/7. I needed to be a leader on and off the field, so I learned a lot about communicating with my coaches and teammates. It gave me a lot of confidence, and in many ways, I feel like the experience matured me more as a person. On top of that, I have never played so many matches in such a short space of time – so you had to cope with your recovery, and things like eating and sleeping habits. It's quite a full-on experience, it was a challenge. But I think we all came away better players for it.

You've been at the Club for little more than a year now, joining from Aberdeen last January. How would you assess your time at Fulham so far?

That time has really flown by, in fact, it feels like I have been at the Club for years. I think that's a good thing, though, it means that I feel settled here. I've tried to keep my head down, listened to what my coaches have told me and worked as hard as possible. There's no doubt that I've improved as a player in that period, and I just think the environment at Fulham is so beneficial to young players. I feel like a young man now, rather than a boy, living away from my family and on my own certainly makes that happen. But I've coped well. I've played a lot of football too, which is good and I'm very excited by the prospect of developing further.

That development and subsequent form for the Under-21s also saw you named on the First Team bench for the trip to Blackpool in the FA Cup with Budweiser Third Round replay...

That was a massive moment for me, and something that I've been working towards since I came in. Although I didn't feature, it was still brilliant to be with the First Team squad. This is a club that gives young players an opportunity and it was a very special occasion. I've worked really hard and that was a nice reward, and a sign that my performances are being noticed which is also very pleasing.

Finally Jack, having not long celebrated your first year at the Club, what are your targets for the following 12 months?

More of the same really, I appreciate that I still have a long way to go and that there's a lot of hard work ahead. It's been an enjoyable season so far, and there's still plenty of football to be played – so it would be nice to end the campaign strongly. As I've said, the first year went very quickly, and funnily enough it was something that I discussed with Luis Boa Morte recently. He just said that the career of a professional footballer is a short one and that I should make the most of it. That's exactly what I want to do; I don't want to look back with any regrets, I need to savour every moment.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/05/jack-grimmer-dallas-cup?

WhiteJC

Fulham trio missing for Newcastle trip

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell is suspended for Sunday's trip to Newcastle following his sending-off against QPR on Monday night.

Midfielder Ashkan Dejagah is out for a week with a sprained ankle while striker Mladen Petric is unavailable because of an adductor problem.

Midfielder Mahamadou Diarra is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Somogyi, Etheridge, Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Baird, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Frimpong, Davies, Richardson, Frei, Mesca, Enoh, Berbatov, Duff, Ruiz, Emanuelson, Rodallega.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_trio_missing_for_newcastle_trip_1_2003971

WhiteJC

Martin Jol hoping goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer will extend Fulham deal

Martin Jol: Seeking goalkeeping reinforcements

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists he retains faith in Mark Schwarzer despite admitting he is scouting for a new goalkeeper.

Jol has managed to persuade Fulham stalwarts Brede Hangeland, Damien Duff and Philippe Senderos to sign new contracts, but Schwarzer has yet to extend his deal beyond this summer.

The 40-year-old remains Jol's first choice, but the Cottagers boss needs to bring in new back-up as David Stockdale and Neil Etheridge are not happy to stay as understudies.

"I don't deny that we are looking for a goalkeeper," Jol said. "There is a lot of speculation in the press. I have a young goalkeeper in Neil Etheridge, he is out on loan, and so is David Stockdale.

"He doesn't want to be number two so that could be a little problem, so of course we are always looking for a goalkeeper," added Jol, who is confident of talking Schwarzer into a new deal.

"We are talking to Mark Schwarzer like we did with Brede and the other players," he said. "He is a fantastic goalkeeper so you would have to be very good to fill that space.

"We have made him an offer so we are waiting. If he accepts he will stay, if not we will talk again like we did with Brede."

Meanwhile, Jol will be without Steve Sidwell as Fulham look to guarantee Premier League safety with victory at Newcastle on Sunday.

Fulham appealed against Sidwell's red card for a late challenge on QPR's Armond Traore on Monday, but the midfielder's three-match suspension was upheld.

"It's quite a big blow because he was playing well in midfield," Jol added. "He was playing well with Karagounis, but we will have to come up with a different solution now."

Jol also says he is not concerned that Dimitar Berbatov's scoring exploits will lead to a flurry of offers for the forward this summer.

Berbatov took his tally to six in his last six games on Monday night as Fulham moved to within one draw of the 40-point mark with a 3-2 win over local rivals QPR and Jol appears to have pulled off one of the deals of the season by signing him from Manchester United.

"Last year I lost Bobby Zamora and then Pavel Pogrebnyak came in and scored a lot so there always is a solution if something happens, but you want to keep your best players," said Jol, who brought the best out of Berbatov during a prolific two-year spell for the Bulgarian at Spurs.

"Dimitar is 32 and I think he is happy here. I can see him stopping here for the next two or three years."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8619423/?

WhiteJC

Newcastle v FULHAM: Sidwell banned following straight red card against QPR

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell is suspended for Sunday's trip to Newcastle following his sending-off against QPR on Monday night.

Midfielder Ashkan Dejagah is out for a week with a sprained ankle while striker Mladen Petric is unavailable because of an adductor problem.

Midfielder Mahamadou Diarra is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Somogyi, Etheridge, Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Baird, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Frimpong, Davies, Richardson, Frei, Mesca, Enoh, Berbatov, Duff, Ruiz, Emanuelson, Rodallega.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2304582/Newcastle-v-FULHAM-Steve-Sidwell-banned-following-straight-red-card-QPR.html#ixzz2Pf5C334H
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Get Ready for the Biggest Week of Newcastle's Season

Newcastle are facing a monumental task and perhaps the three biggest games of the season. The unenviable task they face sees them come up against Fulham, Benfica and Sunderland at home.

With football's unpredictability never failing to amaze, Newcastle have found themselves pulled back into the scrap at the bottom of the league. A win against Fulham is vital and will calm many nerves. It's importance should not be overlooked, because if they win and the three sides in and around them lose, theoretically United will be in a  much better position to push out from the struggle.

However, a win is not a certainty, although Fulham's away record is infamously diabolical they have won their previous two games and as Newcastle proved last season, momentum is everything.

They'll have to be cautious and will need to eradicate the sloppiness that cost them dearly in Lisbon on Thursday. As well as being cautious, the Toon must nullify the threat of pantomime villain Damien Duff who seems to have a taste for scoring goals vs Newcastle. Newcastle need to come out fighting  and they need to be sharp, they cannot afford to be wasteful in front of goal like they were against Benfica.

But Pardew has his part to play, he needs to get his players fired for this game in particular, naturally one would assume that they'd be up for the glamorous European tie on Thursday and one would hopefully assume that they'd understand the significance of the derby. Fulham at home is the least glamorous of the three ties but one of vital importance nevertheless.

As a devout Newcastle fan I want to win something. I'm glad that in the last few weeks Pardew has targeted the Europa League for silverware but now I want him to stick to his guns. On Thursday in front of a packed cathedral I want to see guts, I want to see passion and I want to see us win. 3-1 isn't the end of the world.

Newcastle have proved in the last two years that they can beat anyone at St James' Park; they've defeated Chelsea and Manchester United when they've been up for it and when they've wanted it.  Therefore defeating Benfica 2-0 is achievable especially if they play that suicidal high line again. For the most part of Thursday's defeat we restricted and frustrated them to long shots before tiredness and preventable mistakes allowed them into the game. We need to do the same in the second leg.

Furthermore, we need to be sharper in front of goal. Cisse was agonisingly close against the Portuguese outfit but he will know that he should have scored. Hopefully Cheick Tiote will be back in contention – he may not have been in the best of form this season but Toon fans are aware what he is capable of. We need steel and we need goals. We can do it.

The lads have to pick themselves up win, lose or draw vs the mackems. Form counts for nothing in the Tyne-Wear derby but the players have to put in the performance of their lives three days after Benfica. Sunderland have one fit striker and are in a horrendous run of form, yet with the introduction of the fiery Di Canio we're in uncharted territory.

North east pride is at stake, we can't lose. Key players such as Cabaye and Cisse have to be firing on all cylinders, Tiote needs to keep his head, Shola needs to sparkle and the new acquisitions have to understand what it means to the people of Newcastle. Whoever wants it, wins it and I want it.

It's no easy task but then again this is Newcastle United. Anything could happen.

http://thespectatorsview.com/2013/04/05/get-ready-for-the-biggest-week-of-newcastles-season/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Eye Former Man United Striker Diouf

Craven Cottage side keen on Bundesliga ace.

German side Hannover 96 are trying to convince star striker Mame Biram Diouf to stay with them in the face of interest from Fulham, TalkSport reports.

The 25-year-old joined the Bundesliga club in 2011 from Manchester United and has been a resounding success scoring 24 goals in 42 games for Die Roten.

Hannover are trying to convince the Senegalese striker to stay beyond his current deal, which ends next summer, but their plans of keeping him in place has been thrown into doubt following interest from Fulham and Borussia Dortmund.

The club's sporting director, Joerg Schadtke, told reporters that Diouf had already rejected a new deal with improved conditions. Diouf apparently wanted a buy out clause inserted into his new deal but the club couldn't agree to do that.

Diouf is already well known on these shores having spent two unsuccessful seasons at Manchester United that saw him bag just one goal in nine appearances. A season long loan a Blackburn Rovers in between those two years at United was marginally more productive as he managed to notch six goals in 29 games.

Although he never managed to fulfil his potential with the champions, he's managed to rebuild his career in Germany and Martin Jol believes that he's matured enough to try the Premier League again as he looks to add more fire power to his frontline.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04/05/fulham-eye-former-man-united-striker-diouf/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Newcastle v Fulham match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at St
James's Park

With the intense glare of the media spotlight relentlessly beaming down upon Sunderland throughout the past week, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew may well be thankful to Paolo Di Canio and the Black Cats for shifting the local focus away from his side's Premier League struggles.

2012/13 has been a long and arduous campaign for Newcastle, whose impressive progression to the last eight of the Europa League has been largely overshadowed by poor domestic form that sees them languish in 15th place and just three points above the relegation zone heading into Sunday's clash at St James's Park. A persistent injury crisis has undermined the hosts' season thus far, and Pardew has been quick to blame those fitness issues on their continued involvement in Europe's second most prestigious club competition. Pardew's recent frustrations came to the fore after Newcastle's last Premier League fixture, a dismal 4-0 defeat to Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium last Saturday. Thursday's latest European clash away to Benfica will have done little to improve his mood, after inexplicable errors from Davide Santon and Steven Taylor gifted the hosts a 3-1 win after Papiss Cisse had given them an unlikely early lead.

Barring a collapse of almost catastrophic proportions, Fulham should be assured of Premier League football next season. Monday's 3-2 victory over relegation-threatened QPR left Martin Jol's side in 10th position in the Premier League, a comfortable nine points clear of any immediate danger. A spate of masterful showings from Bulgarian talisman Dimitar Berbatov have been a particular highlight in what has been an otherwise uneventful campaign at Craven Cottage. The former Tottenham and Manchester United striker, who joined Fulham for an undisclosed fee in August 2012, has 13 goals in all competitions this season, including a brace against QPR.

KICK-OFF: Sunday, 3pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS...

Fulham 2 (Sidwell, Rodallega) Newcastle 1 (Ben Arfa), Premier League, December 2012

Fulham 5 (Murphy, Dempsey, Zamora) Newcastle 2 (Guthrie, Ben Arfa), Premier League, January 2012

Newcastle 2 (Best) Fulham 1 (Dempsey), Premier League, August 2011

STATS...

Newcastle and Fulham have previously met 59 times in League action. Fulham have won 26, Newcastle 20 and there have been 13 draws.

Newcastle's home form has been strong this season. Only eight of their 33 points have been claimed away from St James's Park in 2012/13.

Despite traditionally being associated with a rather poor away record in the Premier League, Fulham are unbeaten in their last five games away from Craven Cottage.

Despite their four consecutive clean sheets in the Europa League prior to Thursday's defeat to Benfica, Newcastle are without one in the Premier League since January.

ODDS...

Newcastle to win: 2.1

Fulham to win: 3.5

Draw: 3.4

CLASSIC MOMENT/MATCH

A superb performance from American international midfielder Clint Dempsey inspired Jol's men to a resounding 5-2 triumph in January 2012. The Texan was in unstoppable form at Craven Cottage, constantly terrorising Newcastle's back line and netting a second-half hat-trick. Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora also scored for Fulham.

TV: Highlights on Match of the Day, BBC1 at 10.25pm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-newcastle-v-fulham-match-preview-8562258.html

WhiteJC

Opta Stats: Newcastle v Fulham

Newcastle United are being sucked back towards the relegation zone. Will they get they result they need against in-form Fulham?

Fulham have won five of the last seven matches against Newcastle in the Barclays Premier League (D1 L1). The Cottagers are 4.0 to grab an away win.

The Cottagers have lost just one of their last five league games away from home (W2 D2). You can back Fulham in the draw no bet market at 2.88.

However, Fulham have scored only five times in their last six on the road. Under 2.5 goals is 2.1.

Newcastle have won three successive home league matches for the first time since April last year when they won four. Alan Pardew's side are 2.08 to win a fourth successive game.

The Magpies haven't kept a clean sheet in the Premier League since January, conceding 17 goals in nine games. Fulham are 1.42 to score a goal.

Mark Schwarzer is the only goalkeeper to save as many as three penalties in the Premier League this season. Kelvin Davis (2) is the only other goalkeeper to stop more than one. A Fulham clean sheet is available at 5.2.

Dimitar Berbatov has scored in four successive Premier League appearances for the first time in his career. The Bulgarian is 2.8 to make it five in a row.

10 of Berbatov's 13 Premier League goals for Fulham have come before half-time. Berbatov is 7.8 to score the first goal.

25 of Newcastle's 33 points in the league this season have been claimed at home. They are 1.48 in the draw no bet market.

Brede Hangeland has made more headed clearances than any other player in the Premier League this season (175). Fulham are 6.5 to win to nil.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-newcastle-v-fulham-050413-629.html?

WhiteJC

'Why would we sell him?' Jol says Berbatov loves it at the Cottage and could hang around for THREE more years

Martin Jol wants to keep striker Dimitar Berbatov at Fulham for the next three years and sees no reason why his star man would want to leave.

Fulham are unbeaten in five matches and that has in large part been down to the scintillating form of the Bulgarian, who has four goals in his last five.

Jol brought Berbatov to the Premier League when he arrived at Tottenham in 2006 and the pair were reunited last summer. And now Jol wants to extend his stay in West London.

On form: Berbatov has scored 13 league goals this season, and Jol is confident the Bulgarian will stay

Happy days: Jol insists Berbatov is loving his time at the West London club

'Of course you want to keep your best players,' said Jol. 'Dimitar is 32, I think he's happy here and I can see him staying here for the next two or three years.

'I don't know if other teams will be interested in him. Maybe they will come up with that idea but for us there is no situation. We are very healthy, so why would we sell him?

Friends reunited: Jol managed Berbatov at Tottenham, and believes he can have another three years with the striker at Fulham

'I think he's had an impact over the whole season. He loves it here, he likes playing here.

'He's telling everyone he's happy, he's scored goals from the start. He can play in the hole, which is not his natural position, but he can do that for the team. He's good to have around.'

Berbatov will lead the line as Fulham take on Newcastle on Sunday, hoping to extend their unbeaten run in the Premier League to six matches.

But Jol feels the away defeat to Benfica in the Europa League last night may harm Alan Pardew's side in the relegation battle.

He said: 'I've been in the same situation a couple of times and it's not easy. You to focus on the Europa League, you have to focus on the League, and that combination can cost you.

'I can remember when I was managing in Germany I played in the Europa League semi-final and I was really happy to drop out of that because we went out on goal difference against Werder Bremen.

'We had to play other games and in the end we achieved in what we wanted and were in the top five. But I can see us playing in that final on the Thursday before we had to play in the league on the Saturday and I think we would never have won that game if we were in the final.

'Birmingham won the Carling Cup and went down. Maybe you can ask them know what they would have preferred, to stay in the League or win the Carling Cup. It's not a perfect combination.'

Fulham must face Newcastle without Steve Sidwell, who is suspended after being sent off against QPR on Monday while Ashkan Dejegah is also out after picking up an ankle injury in the same match. Mladen Petric misses out with an abductor strain while Mahamadou Diarra remains on the side lines with a long term knee injury.

Absent: Steve Siwell (left) is suspended for the clash with Newcastle on Sunday, while Mladen Petric (right) is out with an injuree alongside Ashkan Dejagah and long-term absentee Mahamadou Diarra

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2304659/Fulhams-Martin-Jol-issues-Dimitar-Berbatov-hands-warning.html#ixzz2Pf74Yted
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Newcastle United v Fulham: match preview
Read a full preview of the Premier League game between Newcastle United v Fulham at St James's Park on Sunday April 7 2013, kick-off 15:00 BST.

Thumbs up: Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov celebrates his latest goal, against QPR. The Bulgarian has never lost when he has scored in a Fulham shirt
Photo: REUTERS

Sunday, April 7 2013
Newcastle United v Fulham
St James's Park
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT.
TV: Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day 2.

Newcastle (Probable, 4-4-2): Elliot; Simpson, Yanga-M'Biwa, S Taylor, Cabaye; Sissoko, Anita, Gutierrez, Obertan; Cisse, Gouffran.
Out: Haidara, R Taylor, Vuckic (all knee), Coloccini (back), Perch (knock), Ben Arfa (hamstring).
Tests: Debuchy, Tiote (both hamstring), Simpson (ankle).

Fulham (Probable, 4-2-3-1): Schwarzer; Riether, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise; Frimpong, Karagounis; Duff, Ruiz, Emanuelson; Berbatov.
Out: Sidwell (suspended), Dejagah, Enoh (both knocks), Petric (adductor), Diarra (knee).
Tests: Ruiz (hamstring).

Referee: Kevin Friend. Matches: 17, R1 Y62.

Team News Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has Yoan Gouffran back available for Sunday's Barclays Premier League home clash with Fulham, but there remain doubts over Mathieu Debuchy and Cheick Tiote. Like forward Gouffran, Debuchy was ineligible for Thursday's 3-1 Europa League defeat at Benfica, but he has also been nursing a hamstring problem and Pardew is unsure whether or not the defender, or midfielder Tiote (hamstring), will be fit enough to feature this weekend. The manager does not expect Massadio Haidara (knee) to be ready to make his return to action against the Cottagers and has ruled out Fabricio Coloccini (back) doing so, while fellow defender Danny Simpson says he should be fit to play despite suffering a knock to the ankle in the Benfica match.

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell is suspended following his sending-off against QPR on Monday night. Midfielder Ashkan Dejagah is out for a week with a sprained ankle while striker Mladen Petric is unavailable because of an adductor problem. Midfielder Mahamadou Diarra is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Match Notes Swiftly back into action following their Europa League defeat against Benfica, a fourth consecutive home league victory for Newcastle would match their best run at St James's Park for a year, and with it ease any lingering relegation fears. To do so, they must negate the threat of Dimitar Berbatov, the in-form forward, who has scored in his last four appearances for a Fulham side who enjoy their trips north to Tyneside, having won three of their seven previous visits.

Betting: Home 11-10, Away 12-5, Draw 5-2.

Stat of the game: Dimitar Berbatov has scored in 10 games for Fulham this season and never lost.

Prediction: Newcastle United 1 Fulham 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9961688/Newcastle-United-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

It could be the perfect time for Fulham to take on Newcastle

Fulham are 8/11 to finish the campaign in the top 10 (evens bottom half) after their derby win over Rangers and they travel to Newcastle on Sunday.

Newcastle are 16s for the drop and need three points but it could be a good time to meet the Geordies.

Alan Pardew's side are 11/10 to win, with Fulham 27/10 and the draw 5/2.

Dimitar Berbatov has scored in his last four league games for the first time in his career and is 7/1 to score the opening goal and 85/40 to score at any time.

Paolo Di Canio brings his Sunderland side to Stamford Bridge on Sunday with Chelsea (6/4 to win the FA Cup) desperate for the points to cement their place in the top four.

The Blues are 1/3 with the Black Cats 19/2 and the draw at 22/5.

Chelsea are 4/11 to finish in the top four and 6/5 to finish top London club, but they need three points against relegation-threatened Sunderland, that's for sure.

Rangers gave it a good go in the second half on Monday night but their defensive inadequacies meant it was another loss and the Hoops are now 1/16 the be playing in the Championship next term.

They entertain FA Cup semi-finalists Wigan on Sunday and it goes without saying they must win.

Loic Remy was wasted wide on the right in the first 45 minutes at the Cottage but looked sharp in the second half when playing down the middle and is 5/1 to score first and 6/4 to score at any time.

Rangers are 7/5 with the Latics (5/2 for relegation) 21/10 and the draw at 12/5.

For all your weekend odds check out betvictor.com

Be lucky

Charlie

http://www.westlondonsport.com/football-2/bv

WhiteJC

Taylor Calls For 12th Man Against Fulham

Nobody needs to tell Steven Taylor about the importance of Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash against Fulham.

He was in the starting XI when ten-man Newcastle lost 1-0 to the Cottagers in May 2009 - a result which had huge ramifications the following week when United were relegated at Villa Park.

Now the Magpies once again find themselves at the wrong end of the table as the same opponents visit St. James' Park for arguably the Club's most crucial home game since Alan Shearer's side fell to a Diomansy Kamara goal almost four years ago.

But this time around, with the backing of their loyal supporters, Taylor believes the team can get the right result and go a long way towards securing their top-flight status.

"That game's in the past now," said the 27-year-old defender who is one of only three survivors from the team which took to the field that afternoon.

"It's a new team with new players and for us it's all about what we do as a team. We just need to make sure we perform.
"The players are going to go into the Fulham game with massive belief and confidence. It's going to be a difficult game but we believe in ourselves.

"I think every game from now until the end of the season is going to be important. We have to win games, it's as simple as that.

"You want three points on the board as players - and we can get them."

In the league, Newcastle have won only once away from Tyneside this term so their home form is key to their hopes of staying in the top flight.

And while the upcoming Tyne-Wear derby against Sunderland sold out within six hours of tickets going on sale, Taylor is also hoping for a big crowd to roar the Magpies on against Fulham.

"The next few games are vital for this football club," he told nufc.co.uk. "But as long as we stick together, we won't go far wrong.

"We'll need energy, loads of that, and to be powerful and we've got to keep pushing and pressing them.

"And we're going to need our home crowd behind us every single game now - lively, loud and horrible for the other team.

"The atmosphere against Anzhi (Makhachkala last month) was the best I've heard in a long time. We need that and we'll need the fans behind us.

"Even if we go a goal behind we need them to keep going and going and going because playing in front of them can really benefit us."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130405/taylor-calls-for-12th-man-against-fulham_2281670_3134033?

WhiteJC

Newcastle v. Fulham: Down the Home Stretch

Hugo Rodallega's header secured 3 points for Fulham at Craven Cottage in December. Can they do the double over the Magpies?

With the nail-biting victory over their rivals last weekend, Fulham have all but put the relegation zone in their rear view mirror and will be looking to bolster their finishing position with some difficult fixtures on the horizon. April is busy for Fulham, who at one point were 2 games in hand on the Premier League table after just 5 matches in the last 2 months. They have some catching up to do in that department, and are on the road for the next two.

State of Fulham:

The Whites have gone on a tear in the recent weeks which has seen them only jump a few positions in the table, but they've narrowed the gap between 10th and 9th from 9 points all the way down to 1 and still have a game in hand. They are unbeaten in 5 matches, and are 5th in the form table. In fact, only Fulham and Manchester Untied are unbeaten in their last 5 matches. Even away matches haven't given Fulham as much trouble as they usually do, having won 2 and drawn 2 in their last 5 matches on the road.

Fulham will be a little less than full strength this week with Steve Sidwell seeing red last week in the closing minutes of the QPR match. He lost his midweek appeal, so his 3-match ban begins this weekend. Injury-wise, the club has a few new additions to the list as well. Ashkan Dejagah's sprained ankle needs another week according to Martin Jol. The Iranian suffered his knock in the first half of the win over Rangers. Candidates for his replacement include Urby Emanuelson or Kieran Richardson. You may see Damien Duff switch over to the right, as Richardson is typically a left winger. Emanuelson was horrid in his substitute appearance against QPR, being himself subbed off after Sidwell's red card. Alex Kacaniklic would normally have seen a chance, but he's been sent out on loan to Burnley. Mladen Petric has also picked up a hamstring injury and Jol said he'll be out for a few weeks. Mahamadou Diarra and Neil Etheridge are out, both long-term absentees who's names we've seen on the injury list for a while.

Jol said in his match preview this week that something Fulham need to really improve on is holding a lead, particularly the issue of not being able to exit their own half when under pressure. If they can pick up an early goal or two against Newcastle, expect this to be a point of concern for the club – keeping possession while being pressed.

State of Newcastle:

Much like the days leading up to the bigtime win at White Hart Lane, Fulham will head to St. James Park with their upcoming opponents having been pushed to the brink midweek in the Europa League. Spurs were brought to extra time by Inter in the Europa League just 2 days before our match, and here Newcastle were picked apart by Benfica. A 3-1 defeat on the road at the hands of high European competition just 3 days before could certainly have an impact on the club's performance.

Their Premier League form hasn't been much better. Newcastle found themselves 4-0 losers at the Etihad against Manchester City in their last League fixture, and have lost 3 of their last 4 overall. Not only that, but the club is just 3 points ahead of the drop zone – this being weeks after Alan Pardew declared Newcastle safe from relegation. One bright spot for Newcastle in this match is that they've been significantly better at home. The Magpies have won their last 3 home matches, and have secured 12 points in their last 6 home matches. Meanwhile, they've just won 1 of their last 6 road matches and only have 4 points in that stretch, losing their last 4 straight.

Injury news is mixed for the Magpies in this match. They will receive a boost at goalkeeper, as Tim Krul will stay in goal after returning in Lisbon against Benfica, and Davide Santon returned in the match from an injury absence as well. However, Frenchman Moussa Sissoko, who has burst onto the scene since moving to Newcastle in the winter, may have picked up an injury and is questionable for this weekend. James Perch is in the same boat as Sissoko, and Mathieu Debuchy and Cheick Tiote are both battling hamstring injuries, and are question marks as well. Hatem Ben Arfa, Fabricio Coloccini, Ryan Taylor, and Massadio Haidara are all long-term injury victims.

EA Sports Stats of the Match:

-25 of Newcastle's 33 points this season have been secured at St. James Park.

-Yohan Cabaye is the only player on the Newcastle roster to register triple digits for both offensive and defensive contributions, according to the EA Sports Player Performance Index.

-Fulham have won 5 of the last 7 meetings between these clubs, with Newcastle registering just 1 win in that time. One draw was recorded as well.

-In addition, Fulham have won 3 and drawn 2 in their last 7 visits to St. James Park.

-Newcastle are second in the Premier League in two dubious categories. They've kept just 4 clean sheets in the league this year (2nd to Reading) and have conceeded 37 second-half goals (Aston Villa have 39).

-Fulham would be 5th in the Premier League table if matches ended at halftime.

888sport.com Lines of the Week:

-Dimitar Berbatov first goalscorer – 5/1
Why not? Berbatov has scored in his last 4 matches (5 goals in that span), and 4 of those 5 goals came in the first half. In fact, 10 of his 13 goals this year were scored in the first half of matches. One last nugget, Berba's scored in 10 matches this year; Fulham have not lost any of those matches.

-Over 2.5 goals – 4/5
Not great odds, but considering Newcastle's defensive issues recently, their injuries, and Fulham's inability to hold leads late in games, you have to expect goals to come flying in at St. James Park. There are definitely goals to be scored in this match between Berbatov and Cisse, and I think asking 3 or more goals out of this match isn't too much really.

-1st Half with more goals – 2/1
Fantastic odds, given Newcastle and Fulham have both been great starters and poor finishers. Especially since the second half is even, this is a way better purchase.

Prediction: Given the two clubs' form, it's hard not to expect Fulham to come out of this one with 3 points. They seem to have (temporarily, at least) put their dreadful away form in the trash can, and once again their opponent played outside of England just 3 days ago. Besides their good home form recently, Newcastle don't have much going for them in this match, and they'll have to be at their best to put the injuries and such behind them. Going for a hard-fought, physical 2-1 victory for Fulham, which finally allows Martin Jol to admit they're safe to look ahead of them in the table rather than over their shoulder.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2013/04/05/newcastle-v-fulham-down-the-home-stretch/?

WhiteJC

Fulham to decide Stockdale's future

Fulham will make a decision on the future of goalkeeper David Stockdale this summer.

The 27-year-old is currently on loan at Hull City and has indicated he does not want to stay at Craven Cottage unless he becomes the club's number one.

With current first choice Mark Schwarzer having been offered a new contract and the Whites looking for a new keeper, Stockdale's future may lie elsewhere.

Fulham boss Martin Jol admitted: "I can't see David coming back here and being a number two again.

"Whether or not to make Stockdale the number one is a decision we've got to make.

"Either I get another keeper who is number two and get Stockdale back, or Schwarzer will be the number one and we get another keeper, or I get another number one – there are a few scenarios.

"David is a terrific keeper. He wanted to play and he wants to be a number one and he is probably a number one.

"We want to be better and better. We want to keep our best players but we will have to do something if they don't want to sign – it's not always in our hands."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-hull-city-david-stockdale928484?

cebu

Giorgos Karagounis talks to Fulham TV about adapting to the Premier League and how it feels to score at Craven Cottage. Part one of two.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/06/karagounis-interview

cebu

Watch all the goals as Fulham U-19s stormed to glory at the 2013 Dallas Cup.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/06/road-to-glory