watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Footie Fans of the 80's and 90's Programmes on Casuals tonight

Started by Mr-ska, April 06, 2013, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr-ska

To all my Casual/Dresser/ Footie Fans from the 80's and 90's a programe about Casuals.. how we dressed.. what we wore... Labels...Sky 539 • Virgin Media 233 • Freeview 87 • BT Vision

CASUALS Dir: Mick Kelly
Saturday 6 April at 21:00
TV PREMIERE: During the 1980s, a working-class subculture established itself in the UK, taking grip of cities and leaving a lasting legacy. This started after the mod revival of the late 1970s, when notorious football firms from cities like Liverpool, Manchester and London stole expensive designer sportswear from countries they visited.

High-street giants didn't tell these lads what to wear. It was they who set the trends before the high-street stores caught up. As the 1980s began in the UK, 'casual' had already arrived under the radar. From Barcelona to Berlin, Milan to Moscow, teenagers today are copying fashions and a culture that started on the streets and terraces.

How did the subculture start? What did it stand for? Why is the legacy is still being felt in today's fashion industry? This insightful documentary contains interviews and archive footage to find out the answers to those questions and to ask if the 80s casual phenomenon has proved to be the last working-class subculture to emerge in the UK.
http://www.communitychannel.org/featured/buff-presents-spring-2013/

SouthfieldWhite

Great days for football fashions , wouldn't be able to afford them these days but had all the clobber back in the day, have to make do with a plain blue jumper these days ;-)

Travers Barney

Never seen more casuals at a game than Leicester had at our place in 83.

coyw
We are the whites

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: Travers Barney on April 06, 2013, 07:18:07 PM

coyw

Remember that game well, remember loads of their lot crammed in backs of lorries and everything, Pompey fans had loads of casuals too with all the gear on

Travers Barney

Derby too...especially at the infamous game at the Baseball...hordes of em pringle'd up to their eyeballs...dreadful day allround.

Bit off topic but I know its close to your heart Neil great to see the footage of the lads out in Dallas...we should all be very proud.

Hope to catch up soon.

coyw
We are the whites

SouthfieldWhite

Cheers mate, been with a lot of the academy staff today and told them that the fans are really behind the youth team and quite a few will start going to a few games, they think it would be brilliant

brightster

I remember it well, left school in early eighties and worked in a very well know spurs players sport shop for seven years, ended up managing the 3 shops in Hayes Middlesex, even had to meet with all the sales reps, great fun, had the pick of all the new gear before it went on sale! I was always Pringled up, with Lyle and Scott roll neck, with Farrah,s and Addidas Gazzell trainers, Fila track suit top! sad thing is still wear Gazzells and even Sambas now!

Cheers mate for the tip, record button pressed!

Travers Barney

Quote from: brightster on April 06, 2013, 08:25:45 PM
I remember it well, left school in early eighties and worked in a very well know spurs players sport shop for seven years, ended up managing the 3 shops in Hayes Middlesex, even had to meet with all the sales reps, great fun, had the pick of all the new gear before it went on sale! I was always Pringled up, with Lyle and Scott roll neck, with Farrah,s and Addidas Gazzell trainers, Fila track suit top! sad thing is still wear Gazzells and even Sambas now!

Bought some new gazelles last week...wife's comment was 'mutton dressed up as lamb'
coyw
We are the whites

brightster

Quote from: Travers Barney on April 06, 2013, 08:42:01 PM
Quote from: brightster on April 06, 2013, 08:25:45 PM

Bought some new gazelles last week...wife's comment was 'mutton dressed up as lamb'
coyw

That's harsh, love my black and white Gazzells! COYW

Mr-ska

Still wear Gazelles...  abit of sergio...  really into Fred Perry

TheDaddy

Those were the days ! cor farrahs,pringles,lyle n scott and i never played golf  fp.gif

Loved my pale blue jumbo cords but most importantly was me wedge hair do ,black plastic comb in me back pocket "WHAT A TART !"

FILA track suits still in vouge,My fault played darts in a boozer in Shepherds Bush afew months back took it off and some barstool had pinched it not suprised really ,Whilst outside having a smoke i was offered a Car Jet wash to baby clothes all in the space of five miutes ! Trainers for me were either white sergios or black mambas..
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

premFlem

London Casuals wore straight jeans/trousers , Northern casuals wore drainpipes they stuck out like sore thumbs the silly so n so's.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

manxman

Got a few pairs of sambas and gazelles etc, Fred perry, fila track tops and lyle & Scott. Love wearing them still

"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

Harold Shand

coyw

coyw

To the untrained eye, because they were still in Italian sportswear.

Fulham had a considerably larger contingent of Dressers* that day outside but it was the start of the "Anti-suss", "No labels on show" era, so we would slip under the radar.

*Sorry never use the "Casuals" moniker as it's a media invention - circa 1983 - The Face.

cheerupjimmyhill

Work around soho still quite a few casuals still around including the odd girl. Couple of weeks ago I ordered from a millwall can get anything guy a black, red and white cashmere diamond pringle, not got yet though.

Mr-ska

I considered myself as a Dresser...   Lois jeans  with slits up the side..  Kicker boots (still wear)    had a nice pink pringle..