more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (07/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 07, 2013, 09:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Krul vows to take frustration out on Fulham

NO HAPPY RETURN ... Tim Krul is dispirited after Oscar Cardozo's penalty in the 3-1 defeat against Benfica.

TIM Krul says Newcastle United are ready to take their Europa League frustration out on Fulham – and take another step towards top-flight safety.

Krul and his team-mates left Lisbon disappointed to have lost 3-1 to Benfica in the first leg of their quarter-final.

Papiss Demba Cisse – who opened the scoring at the Estadio da Luz – struck the post twice, and the Portuguese side were gifted their second and third goals.

And Alan Pardew's players felt the scoreline didn't reflect their performance in the game, which has taken a physical and mental toll on them ahead of tomorrow's Premier League match at St James's Park.

However, Krul's confident relegation-threatened Newcastle will be ready to face Martin Jol's side, which is quickly followed by the return leg against Benfica and the Tyne-Wear derby.

"I think we can take confidence out of this. I think we'll be fine, but Fulham are a good team," Krul told the Gazette.

"They've got massive quality – we know that – but with 52,000 behind us, they'll push us on to win.

"The next three games are massive. We need to get three points off Fulham. We know that.

"We're still down the bottom in a dogfight.

"I think we can take a lot of confidence out of the game. We have to recover quickly and work really hard on Sunday."

Krul was making his comeback from ankle injury against Benfica, and he was kept busy on his return to Pardew's starting XI.

Whatever his frustrations at the result, the Holland international – who made a series of a stunning first-half saves – was just glad to be back on the pitch after difficult few weeks on the sidelines.

"It's hard to just watch games – I can't watch games very easily," he added. "I'm glad to be back on the pitch.

"It's horrible. I don't like watching games. It's a shame that I had another injury. Last season I played every game. It's something I have to cope with and learn from.

"I feel good. I don't feel any pain in my ankle. I've been training a week now."

Reflecting on the game, Krul went on: "Mixed feelings. Personally, I'm happy I'm back, but it was just a shame we gave them a leg up, really.

"It's a good cushion for them, unfortunately.

"We survived the first half, and had some great chances as well. Don't forget that. We hit the post twice, and on another you walk away with a draw, or even a win.

"Had we gone 2-0 up, it's a totally different story.

"Benfica are a top team. It's a shame we walk away with 3-1, because we didn't deserve that. On another night, we could have walked away with a better result.

"But it was a great Europa night. These are the nights you play football for. I can't wait for Sunday to come."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/krul-vows-to-take-frustration-out-on-fulham-1-5561182

WhiteJC

Alan Pardew: This is a vital week for us

ALAN Pardew has told his players to embrace the pressure of tomorrow's critical clash with Fulham, as he hailed the next seven days as the most important of his Newcastle career.

United touched down in the North East yesterday stressing the positives that emerged from their Estádio da Luz clash with a vibrant Benfica. Despite a 3-1 defeat, Pardew does not believe the tie is over by a long chalk, and feels that elements of their performance should give them real hope and belief ahead of a weekend game which is of major importance in the relegation battle.

Newcastle's presence in that struggle is a surprising development given their New Year form, and they remain 16/1 outsiders to go down.

But this is a huge week for the club, with Fulham preceding the return leg against Benfica and a potentially powder keg

Tyne-Wear derby against Sunderland looming on the horizon.

The result and performance tomorrow will go a long way to setting the tone for the next seven days, and Pardew says that his team must live with the fact that the pressure is on.

He said: "We will have to cope with the pressure on us against Fulham. Can we? We are going to have to and I am confident we have the ability in the squad to get ourselves into a position in the league where we are a Premier League side next season.

"That is the focus for Sunday and then we switch back to Thursday to try and climb what will be a difficult hill, not what I would call a mountain but a decent hill, to try and get up it."

Pardew (pictured below) has rigorously defended his initial assessment that the Benfica game is still in the balance, and says the performance gives him hope ahead of the second leg – and Fulham tomorrow. "I think we have actually gained confidence from the way we played," he said.

"When you go away from Benfica, beaten 3-1 and you are really disappointed because we have gifted them two goals, you have got to take that into the next game. We caused them some problems and Papiss (Cissé) in particular was a threat all night.

"Momentum will be key for the whole of next week. It is important we get ourselves in a real positive place. It is a big week in terms of the season for sure, and we need to win. It is one of the biggest weeks in my period here."

Fulham are traditionally troubled travellers but have enough devilment to cause problems for Newcastle. They have a good record against the Magpies and in Dimitar Berbatov, possess one of the Premier League's most talented players.

Pardew thinks the game against Benfica was decent preparation for his squad. "It was a tough game on Thursday but just as tough as the others we have had and there is no reason why we can't show our strength on the pitch on Sunday," he said.

"It is an important game for us. And we want to set ourselves up for Thursday and to do that, we need to go and win against Fulham.

"They are a good team. Berbatov caused us a lot of problems at their place and is a great player. We have to make sure we take care of him.

"I thought Benfica had good strikers in Lima, Cardozo and Rodrigo, real quality, especially with their little one-twos on the edge of the box, playing around you and round the corner. They had a great little spell just before half-time – that was their best period and that is the kind of quality we will get from (Bryan) Ruiz and Berbatov."

Meanwhile, United will continue to soldier on without Fabricio Coloccini, Cheick Tioté and Massadio Haïdara.

But Yoan Gouffran will come back into contention tomorrow.

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/04/06/61634-33125319/?#ixzz2PlMF8K2W

WhiteJC

Pardew – Newcastle Must Win Against Fulham

Newcastle will play a crucial league game tomorrow against Fulham at St. James' Park, and most Newcastle fans will be expecting a win in the game.

Newcastle have lost three games in a row, and two of them have been in the Premier League, so the last time we had a league win was the 2-1 over Stoke City, when Marveaux carved out the chance for Cisse in stoppage time and Cisse banged the ball home.

This game reminds us a bit of the home game against Reading in January, and we were doing OK in that game before we managed to concede a couple of late goals and the impossible happened – Reading beat us after losing all seven previous  encounters against Newcastle, and we were in big trouble.

This is another big game for us, and Alan Pardew is aware of the importance of the game:

"It was a tough game on Thursday but just as tough as the others we have had and there is no reason why we can't show our strength on the pitch on Sunday." "It is an important game for us. And we want to set ourselves up for Thursday and to do that, we need to go and win against Fulham."

"They are a good team. Berbatov caused us a lot of problems at their place and is a great player. We have to make sure we take care of him." "I thought Benfica had good strikers in Lima, Cardozo and Rodrigo, real quality, especially with their little one-twos on the edge of the box, playing around you and round the corner."

"They had a great little spell just before half-time – that was their best period and that is the kind of quality we will get from Bryan Ruiz and Berbatov."

After the Reading defeat, it  was followed by Loic Remy joining QPR, but then we got Yanga-Mbiwa, Gouffran, Haidara and Sissoko through the door, and they have made a big difference to the side.

But we have to do the job with the players w have available now, and we're not sure about the fitness of Cheick Tiote and Massadio Haidara,  and we should get to know the injury status at Alan Pardew's press conference today.

We need our players back for what looks to be eight games to go in what has been a traumatic season,  and seven of those are in the league.

That assumes we cannot pull off the miracle on Thursday night and get through to the last four of the Europa League. – but it's not impossible.

Let's know how you think the game will go tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Fulham?

Win
Lose
Draw

http://www.nufcblog.com/2013/04/06/pardew-newcastle-must-win-against-fulham/?

WhiteJC

The Goalscorer Gamble: Berbatov to punish tired Newcastle legs

The cold stare of a goalscoring assassin.

Dan Fitch is tipping the in-form Dimitar Berbatov to be the quickest out of the blocks when Fulham face a tired Newcastle side.

Last week's Goalscorer Gamble tips once again culminated in a trip to the corner shop and the purchase of their finest sparkling win.

Sadly the first and last goalscorer tips failed to come in, but all three of our anytime selections delivered. Christian Benteke, Edison Cavani and George Boyd all delivered and a £10 treble on those three would have returned £191 and 40 pence, which can buy a rather good vintage of Lambrini.

In fact, I'm so enamoured with that goalscoring trio right now, that I'm going to back one of them again.

Benteke's Aston Villa are desperate for points as they look to escape the relegation zone and face a Stoke side that seem to hold the mistaken belief that the season ended around the same time that they finished their Christmas dinners.

Back in the good old days of 2012, people started idly debating whether Stoke's defence was one of the best in Europe. That illusion was somewhat shattered when they then conceded 13 goals in four games.

From Boxing Day onwards, Stoke have kept just one clean sheet in 13 games. That sounds like easy pickings for Benteke, who has scored 9 goals in his last 11 Premier League outings. I like the odds of 3.2 for the Villa penalty taker to add to his tally.

We stick to the Premier League to examine another defence with more holes in it than Kim Jong-un's claims that he can nuke the Yanks. Newcastle United last kept a clean sheet back in January and even that was against a Norwich side who boast an attack that is even less threatening that the North Koreans.

On Sunday they face in-form Fulham, who are unbeaten in their last five. Newcastle are likely to be fatigued after their Europa League exploits on Thursday night and will have their work cut out handling Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian has scored five goals in his last four games and can be backed at tasty odds of 7.8 to grab the first goal.

Last week I tipped Sevilla's Alvaro Negredo to score the last goal for Sevilla away at Levante, only for the home side to pull off a 1-0 win.

This week Sevilla have a home game against an Athletic Bilbao side who have conceded the third highest amount of goals in the Spanish league.

Sevilla have been in great form at home lately, scoring 22 goals in their last seven games at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. Prior to his blank against Levante, Negredo had scored five goals in three matches and looks a safe bet at odds of 1.9.

Next we go to Italy and Monday Rome derby. The player we're interested in is Roma's Argentine attacker Erik Lamela, who has scored 13 goals in 24 games this season.

Lamela has scored two of those goals in his last three games and with Lazio having failed to keep a clean sheet in their last five matches. This includes a 2-0 Thursday night Europa League defeat, so let's back Lamela to score the last goal against the tired Lazio defence at likely odds of 7.0.

Finally we turn our attention towards the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final between League 1 side Crewe Alexandra and League 2 outfit Southend United.

I'm very tempted to tip the superbly named Britt Assombalonga of Southend, but my head has to rule my heart and go with the top scorer of the League 1 team.

That man is Mathias Pogba, who has scored 16 goals for Crewe this season. The Guinean international is likely to be priced at around 2.8 to score at any time and is our final pick of the weekend's fixtures.

Recommended Bets:
Best Bet: Back Benteke to score at 3.2
Back Berbatov to score first at 7.8
Back Negredo to score at 1.9
Back Lamela to score last at 7.0
Back Pogba to score at 2.8

http://betting.betfair.com/football/daily-tipping/the-goalscorer-gamble-berbatov-to-punish-tired-newcastle-legs-060413-629.html?

WhiteJC

Berbatov, Kara, Riether? Just Who Is Fulham's Player Of The Season?

At the time of writing, Fulham sit comfortable in 10th position and ought to be very pleased with their campaign. Having made a number of new signings, manager 'Big' Martin Jol should be satisfied with their season. They have had a number of great performers, with lanky Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov being the first name that pops into my head. But German full-back Sascha Riether and Greek midfield terrier Giorgos Karagounis have also had great first seasons at the club.

Let's start with the Bulgarian. A deadline day transfer for a measly £4m from Manchester United, he has certainly lived up to his billing as a regular goalscorer, leading to bigger teams – namely Tottenham and Arsenal – left scratching their heads as to why they didn't try to sign him. Berbatov is 32 years old, but when you don't run around very much age doesn't really matter, and he clearly hasn't lost his eye for a goal, netting 13 league goals this season. His beautifully crisp and technically glorious volley at home to Stoke was a particular highlight, reinforcing his status as one of the most graceful player in the league.

Fulham's right-back, Sascha Riether, on a season-long loan from relegated FC Koln in Germany, has been a superb temporary acquisition for the Cottagers. Accomplished defending has gone hand-in-hand with effective attacking prowess, and his remarkable consistency is highlighted by the fact that he has started 29 league games for Fulham this season. He has instantly become a fan favourite and has stated that he would love to make a permanent switch to West London.

The Greek midfield bulldog Giorgos Karagounis is 36 years old, but what he may lack in pace and agility he makes up for in sheer doggedness, determination and commitment. Incredibly, this man was a free signing from Panathinaikos, but he has quickly bedded into the heart of this Fulham line-up and epitomises the effort that Martin Jol loves his players to put into every game. He scored his first goal for the club in an FA Cup match against Blackpool, with a stunning 25 yard volley - and the Fulham faithful truly appreciate his work rate and guts on the football pitch.

The fact that these men cost a total of £4m to bring in is a testament to Martin Jol and the Fulham scouts' know-how in the transfer market; they have ensured a comfortable season for Fulham, reinforcing their place as one of the top sides in the country. Berbatov is the star-man on paper: but the German and the Greek have both had excellent first seasons and deserve praise.

http://www.sport.co.uk/football/berbatov-kara-riether-just-who-is-fulhams-player-of-the/3964939/?

WhiteJC

Sissoko and Gouffran To Take Different Roles v Fulham

While January's French revolution has undoubtedly improved the quality of both team and squad, against Fulham there could be a significant double change.

Gouffran and especially, Moussa Sissoko, have done well since arriving at St.James' Park but I would argue their effectiveness has diluted over time.

To be honest it was an unbelievable bonus how quickly both they and the other new recruits settled, so I don't see it as a major negative/surprise that their effectiveness has dimmed to a degree.

(To feature like Jim, send in your letters/articles for the magazine/website to [email protected] - write about anything NUFC related – past, present or future )

I think a combination of the players Alan Pardew will have available and a need to freshen ideas/tactics up, will lead to a change in the way Sissoko and Gouffran (the 15/2 price on Gouffran first goal could look very good) are utilised against Fulham.

I predict that Gouffran will be moved into a more central position to play in and around Papiss Cisse, with Marveaux on the left and Jonas on the right.

I then expect to see Moussa Sissoko alongside Yohan Cabaye in midfield.

I think other clubs have taken note of how Newcastle play and now is the time to mix things up and re-energise the players and the system.

I think with Sissoko running from deep and the added threat of Gouffran in a more central position, Newcastle will give Fulham plenty to think about.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/sissoko-and-gouffran-to-take-different-roles-v-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Lee Clark: Massive week for Newcastle – but this Fulham match as big as any

Lee Clark insists Newcastle United's Premier League game with Fulham is the crunch clash of a huge week for the Geordies

Lee Clark has pinpointed Newcastle United's clash against Fulham as a "crucial" encounter tomorrow at St James' Park – even though mammoth battles with Benfica and then bitter rivals Sunderland are just around the corner.

The popular Geordie has had a foot in both camps at Fulham and United.

And although the former Newcastle star needs no reminding of the enormity of the Europa League game with the Portuguese giants or the Tyne-Wear derby, Clark feels tomorrow's fixtures involving the Magpies and his other old club Sunderland, who visit Chelsea, will be key games.

With the derby build-up certain to gather pace after the visit of Fulham, Clark told the Chronicle: "A lot depends on this weekend and whether Newcastle can get a result against Fulham.

"It could be a massive three points for them.

"Even the staunchest Sunderland fan won't be expecting anything at Chelsea even though they went there under Steve Bruce a couple of years ago and got a great result.

"So it builds it up nicely.

"This weekend is huge for Newcastle United against one of my old clubs Fulham.

"If they get three points against Fulham it would make it even more tense than a normal Tyne-Wear derby, that's for sure."

Sunderland could finish the weekend in the relegation zone if Aston Villa or Wigan pick up a win at either Stoke or Queens Park Rangers.

That is, if Sunderland's predicted collapse by the bookies unfolds in the capital.

Clark – currently working his managerial magic with Birmingham City – said: "It is massive for Newcastle more than Sunderland this weekend.

"I don't think many people are expecting Sunderland to get anything at Stamford Bridge.

"Newcastle are playing at home and have a chance.

"Their results have been mixed after Europa League games. A lot of teams seem to struggle after they get back from Europe."

Clark will know how Newcastle boss Alan Pardew feels going into one of the biggest weeks of United's recent history.

Premier League safety could be assured, while progress in the Europa League and local pride are also on the agenda.

Clark, who has had no money to spend at Birmingham but guided a team full of youngsters into the Championship's top 10, said: "It's how Alan uses his experience when it comes to the squad. He may not play his same XI, but the games are all as important as each other."

However, he insists that Newcastle can take a giant stride towards safety by seeing off the Cottagers.

He said: "Tomorrow is crucial because if Newcastle get the win and others lose it gives them breathing space.

"Then they can go into the derby with only the normal pressure.

"If it ends up being a relegation battle, it adds extra tension as well."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-clark-massive-week-newcastle-2522894?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Key man out of Newcastle trip

Fulham will head to Newcastle on Sunday without Steve Sidwell as he starts a three-match ban after being sent off against QPR.

The Cottagers did lodge an appeal in an attempt to get Sidwell's red card overturned, but without success and he will now sit out games against Aston Villa and Chelsea in addition to this weekend's clash with the Magpies at St James' Park.

Manager Martin Jol is also set to be without Ashkan Dejagah for at least a week after he sprained his ankle in the 3-2 victory over Harry Redknapp's side.

Dejagah joins Mladen Petric, who is looking to overcome an adductor problem, in the treatment room and Mahamadou Diarra, who has already been ruled out for the season with a knee injury.

Jol said: "We've got the suspension of Steve Sidwell and that's quite a big blow for us because he was playing well.

"He was a leader in midfield and appeared to have a very good combination with Giorgos Karagounis, so we have to come up with another solution now."

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/fulham/fulhams-key-man-out-of-newcastle-trip

WhiteJC

Ruiz: Fulham can play with no pressure

The 25-year-old says the Cottagers can now relax and approach their game against Newcastle without fear, knowing their Premier League status is almost certain for next season

Fulham attacker Bryan Ruiz believes Martin Jol's side can play their final games of the season without any pressure after winning their last two Premier League fixtures to give them 39 points with eight games remaining.

The Costa Rican has scored three goals and provided six assists in his 18 Premier League games this season, helping Fulham to push for a top-half finish.

The attacker is cautious that Sunday's fixture against Newcastle might not be the gamewhich pushes them past the 40 point mark, but feels his side can get a point or all three if they keep up their recent form.

"It's going to be a very difficult game as Newcastle really need the points," Ruiz told the club's official website. "But they have the pressure; they need to win.

"We are playing well so if we do the things we've been doing, then we will be fine and can play with no pressure.

"We really want to win on Sunday as it will put us in a very good position to try and catch ninth, eighth or even seventh place. We're looking forward to the game.

"The season started very well. We had a difficult period but now we are back in the game again. It shows how tough the Premier League is but the fact it is so competitive is what I love about playing in England."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/04/06/3882498/-?

WhiteJC

Southampton U18s 2-4 Fulham U18s

There was no sign of jetlag on Saturday as George Williams' hat-trick and a late Moussa Dembele strike saw Fulham Under-18s defeat table topping Southampton 4-2 on the south coast.

In their first match since returning from Dallas, it was the Whites who took the lead following a fairly even opening 15 minutes when Williams finished after being found by Muamer Tankovic, before the Welshman doubled the advantage following good work by Patrick Roberts.

The Saints pulled a goal back but Fulham's two-goal lead was soon restored as Williams completed his treble. Dembele made sure of the victory late on – Emerson Hyndman with the assist – and another strike from Southampton gave the home side little consolation.

Fulham: Rodak; Baba (Della Verde 65), O'Reilly, Burgess, Evans; Roberts (O'Halloran 70), Sambou, Hyndman, Williams (Richards 80); Tankovic; Dembele

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/06/u18s-southampton?

WhiteJC

After three defeats in a row, Pardew knows it's vital to get back to winning ways

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew sees it as vital that his team get back to winning ways in Sunday's Barclays Premier League home clash with Fulham.

The Magpies go into the contest off the back of Thursday night's 3-1 Europa League quarter-final first-leg defeat at Benfica - their third successive loss, after they were beaten 4-0 at Manchester City and 2-1 at Wigan before that in the league.

Those top-flight reverses have left the Tyneside outfit just three points clear of the relegation zone.

Vital: Alan Pardew's Newcastle have a must-win match with Fulham on Sunday
And Pardew is in no doubt about the importance of Newcastle making the most of their return to St James' Park - both in terms of their league position, and with a view to the second leg against Benfica which follows on Thursday.

'The Fulham game is an important one for us, there is no doubt about that,' said Pardew - whose side complete a hat-trick of home fixtures by hosting derby rivals Sunderland after the Benfica return leg.

'We want to set ourselves up for Thursday - probably to do that, we are going to need to win.'

Streak: The Magpies have now last their last three matches
Although Newcastle have had to travel to Portugal and back this week, recent evidence would suggest that fatigue within the camp is not something Pardew needs to worry too much about.

Key man: Dimitar Berbatov (centre) has scored six goals in his last six matches
In February, the Magpies beat Southampton 4-2 on the Sunday that immediately followed their Thursday night Europa League last-32 clash with Metalist Kharkiv in Ukraine.

And last month they repeated the trick, defeating Stoke 2-1 three days after playing in Russia against Anzhi Makhachkala in the last 16.

It is a pattern Pardew is hoping continues.

'We had a tough game against Benfica,' the 51-year-old said.

'But it was just as tough as some of the other games we have had, and there is no reason why we can't show our strength on the pitch on Sunday.'

Newcastle are facing a Fulham side enjoying some good form of late, the Londoners having put together a five-game unbeaten run and won three of their last four matches.

Key to their success has been striker Dimitar Berbatov, who has scored six times in his past six appearances, and Pardew is well aware of the Bulgarian's threat.

'He caused us a lot of problems at their place (in Fulham's 2-1 win over Newcastle in December),' Pardew said.

'He is a great player and we need to make sure we take care of him.'

Pardew has Yoan Gouffran back available for the Fulham encounter, but there remain doubts over Mathieu Debuchy and Cheick Tiote.

Mountain: A 3-1 defeat in Lisbon left Newcastle with a mountain to climb in the Europa league
Like forward Gouffran, Debuchy was ineligible for Thursday's match, but he has also been nursing a hamstring problem and Pardew is unsure whether or not the defender, or midfielder Tiote (hamstring), will be fit enough to feature this weekend.

The manager does not expect Massadio Haidara (knee) to be ready to make his return to action against the Cottagers and has ruled out Fabricio Coloccini (back) doing so, while fellow defender Danny Simpson says he should be fit to play despite suffering a knock to his ankle in the Benfica game.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2304951/Newcastle-need-to-winning-ways-Fulham-Says-Alan-Pardew.html#ixzz2PlQg9R6u
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Newcastle v Fulham – Premier League match preview

The visit of Fulham to St James' Park signals the start of a week of destiny which will have a large bearing on the rest of the season for us.
Three home games within the space of a week will ensure that, one way or another, we know whether we'll be safe or not.

Next Sunday the Mackems visit SJP. On Thursday Benfica travel to the North East with United needing to overturn a first leg deficit, but first off it's Fulham who rock up at the cathedral on the hill in decent form. Positive results in the two league games are a must and if we can win both we should be pretty much clear of any relegation worries. Turning it round against Benfica would be the icing on the cake but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and take things one game at a time, starting with Fulham.

Newcastle:

Yoan Gouffran will return after sitting out the defeat at Benfica due to being ineligible to play for United in the Europa League. Cheik Tiote could return after a muscle strain although he is officially listed as "doubtful" so we'll have to wait and see on that one. Danny Simpson should be fine to feature after picking up a knock in Lisbon.

Unavailable for us are Mathieu Debuchy, Fabricio Coloccini, Massadio Haidara, Ryan Taylor, Haris Vuckic and Hatem Ben Arfa.

Fulham:

Steve Sidwell will miss the match after having his appeal for his red card against QPR last weekend overturned. Ashkan Dejagah is out with a sprained ankle, Mladen Petric is missing courtesy of an abductor problem and Mahamadou Diarra is sidelined for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

Previously...

Fulham have a good record against us to be fair. At St James' Park we edge the results but there isn't much in it. In total 29 games have been contested between the two sides on home soil with United clocking up 13 wins compared to 8 for Fulham. The other 8 games have seen the points shared between the two sides.

Overall though it is Fulham who have the edge in the head-to-head stakes. Out of the 59 matches played between the two sides in all competitions, Fulham have won 26, United have won 20 with the other 13 meetings ending in a draw.

Our most recent encounter saw Fulham run out 2-1 winners at Craven Cottage in December with goals from Steve Sidwell and Hugo Rodallega either side of a cracker from Hatem Ben Arfa proving to be enough to earn victory for Martin Jol's side.

Match stats and facts:

Fulham are on their best run since 2010 and are unbeaten in five games.

Mike Williamson could make his 100th appearance for United.

Newcastle have a 50% win ratio in games contested immediately after a Europa League match. Of the six games played after a Europa League outing, United have won three and lost three.

United now can't match the points tally earned from home games last season. However if they win their remaining four home fixtures we'll have managed to accrue the most home Premier League wins in a season since the 2002/2003 campaign.

Newcastle have managed just four clean sheets this season in the Premier League. Only Reading have managed fewer.

Final thought:

I can't stress the importance of this game. To put it simply we need to win and nail Premier League survival at the earliest opportunity and grabbing three points against Fulham should be part of that plan.

We're the home side and the onus is on us to go out and get the job done. We can't approach this in a half-hearted manner. We need everyone performing and for everyone to know what is at stake in what is a crucial week for us that gives us an opportunity to effectively banish thoughts of relegation.

Howay the lads!

Date: Sunday, 7th April, 2013

Time: 3pm

Venue: St James' Park

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2013/04/06/newcastle-v-fulham-premier-league-match-preview/?

WhiteJC

Pardew Confirms Five Players To Miss Fulham

At today's pre-match press conference for the Fulham match on Sunday, Alan Pardew has confirmed that five first team players will miss the game through injury.

A crucial match both in terms of Premier League safety and setting United up for the Europa League game on Thursday.

The manager has confirmed that Mathieu Debuchy, Fabricio Coloccini, Hatem Ben Arfa, Massadio Haidara and Cheick Tiote will all miss.

This is what he had to say about the situation;

"So we are missing four or five really big players, which we have done all year if I'm honest, with the injuries we have had one way or another.

But I still think we have a good side to put on the pitch tomorrow."

When asked whether this left him short of room to manoeuvre, Alan Pardew replied;

"I think that is fair to say but at this stage of the season and the positions we are in, in both competitions, we need to play our best team and I'll play my best team on Sunday regardless of resting anybody."

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-wire/pardew-confirms-five-players-to-miss-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz targets Liverpool's spot in league and says Newcastle are under pressure

Bryan Ruiz has set his sights on helping Fulham equal their highest ever finish of seventh in the Premier League.

The Cottagers head to Newcastle tomorrow knowing a draw will bring them to the all-important 40-point mark with seven games to spare.

A mid-season slump had led to fears that Fulham could be dragged in to their first relegation battle in many a year, but outstanding performances from Mark Schwarzer, Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov mean Martin Jol's men now have their eyes trained on the top half of the table rather than the bottom.

And a recent five-match unbeaten run has propelled Fulham up to 10th in the table.

Roy Hodgson guided Fulham to their record highest finish of seventh in 2010, and with just nine points separating the west Londoners and the current occupants of that position - Liverpool - Ruiz thinks he and his team-mates could equal that achievement this term.

Speaking ahead of the trip to Newcastle on Sunday, the Costa Rican said: "We really want to win on Sunday as it will put us in a very good position to try and catch ninth, eighth, or even seventh place."

In years gone by Newcastle-Fulham would have been seen as a home banker due to the Magpies' strength at St James' Park, and the Cottagers' poor away record.

This season has been a different story, however. Fulham have shaken off their away-day blues and Newcastle sit just three points above the relegation zone after a disappointing season.

Ruiz, who is likely to line up alongside Berbatov up front in the north-east, is wary of the damage that the likes Moussa Sissoko and Papiss Cisse can do, however, and he thinks it would be foolish to under-estimate a team that has reached the last eight of the Europa League this season in spite of their domestic troubles.

"Newcastle are doing well in the Europa League which shows they are a good team," added Ruiz on Fulham's website.

"They had a bad period this season but they still have some very good players and we'll need to take care of them.

"It's going to be a very difficult game as Newcastle really need the points.

"But they have the pressure; they need to win. We are playing well so if we do the things we've been doing, then we will be fine and can play with no pressure."

Fulham manager Jol will be without midfielder Steve Sidwell tomorrow after his three-match suspension for a red card against QPR on Monday night was upheld.

The Dutchman, who led Fulham to ninth in his first year in charge, has been delighted with Berbatov's goal scoring form since he joined from Manchester United on a free transfer.

Jol was also impressed with Berbatov on Monday night when he suggested he did not deserve the man-of-the-match award he won for his double against QPR.

The 32-year-old, who is often labelled as a selfish player on the ball by some pundits, said Schwarzer deserved the gong instead for saving Loic Remy's penalty.

"I think Dimitar must be fed up with all the praise because it makes us look like a one-man team and if you look at all the players we have got, we aren't," the Fulham boss said.

"We have a good 'keeper, a good defence, then you look at players like Giorgos [Karagounis]. He is 36, and he has been fantastic, as has Damien Duff. He is getting older, but he looks younger.

"Dimitar was the main man in the first half [against QPR], but you need the team as well. I am happy that he recognises that and came up with the praise for his team-mates after the game."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/ruiz_targets_liverpool_s_spot_in_league_and_says_newcastle_are_under_pressure_1_2007040

WhiteJC

It's Friend Against Fulham

Kevin Friend will take charge of Newcastle's Premier League home game against Fulham on Sunday.

It is only the second Magpies match of the season for the Leicestershire-based official, who officiated the 1-0 win over Queens Park Rangers in December.

He has refereed 29 games in all competitions this term, handing out 100 yellow cards and three reds - although only one since August.

Friend was the man in the middle for the 2012 Community Shield, which saw Manchester City triumph 3-2 over Chelsea in a thriller at Villa Park.

On Sunday, Friend will be assisted by Andy Halliday and Simon Bennett, with Craig Pawson the game's fourth official.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130406/its-friend-against-fulham_2281670_3134872?

WhiteJC

Fulham Deny Dimitar Berbatov Exit Speculation

London club keen to hang on to Bulgarian striker.

Fulham boss Martin Jol has denied speculation linking Dimitar Berbatov with a move away from the club according to The Daily Mail.

The Cottagers pulled off something of a coup last summer when they announce they had signed the Bulgarian striker from Manchester United.

Jol knows Berbatov well from their time together at Tottenham and the Dutch boss is keen for the pair to continue working together.

Berbatov has been in fine form for Fulham this season leading to speculation that the player could be set for a summer move to a bigger club.

But Jol has poured cold water on the speculation insisting the club are keen to retain the services of the enigmatic forward.

Jol pointed out that Berbatov claims to be enjoying his football and he sees no reason why the player would want to leave Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers' boss went on to say that he would be happy to keep hold of the 32 year old forward for at least another three years.

Jol insisted that even if a club were to bid for Berbatov this summer, the club are in good financial health and would have no reason to consider selling their prized asset.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04/06/fulham-deny-dimitar-berbatov-exit-speculation/?

WhiteJC

Alan Pardew seeking momentum as Newcastle face crucial period of the season
Alan Pardew remains confident his Newcastle side are too good to go down despite slipping back into relegation trouble.

Newcastle United have an unenviable task in the Europa League quarter-finals, in which they trail Benfica 3-1 following Thursday's first leg in Lisbon, but it is their league position that is sparking more serious concerns among supporters.

The Tyneside club entertain Fulham today before their second leg against Benfica, which is followed by the arrival of bitter rivals, and fellow strugglers, Sunderland at St James' Park next weekend.

"Momentum will be key for the whole of this week," said Pardew, who is still without his captain Fabricio Coloccini and star player Hatem Ben Arfa because of injury.

"It is important we get ourselves into a real positive place. It is a big week in terms of the season, for sure, and we need to win against Fulham. It is one of the biggest weeks in my period here.

"We will have to cope with the pressure against Fulham. Can we? We are going to have to and I am confident we have the ability in the squad to get ourselves into a position in the league where we are still a Premier League side next season.

"That is the focus for Sunday and then we switch back to the Europa League to try and climb what will be a difficult hill.

It's not what I would call a mountain, but it's a decent hill to try and get up."

Despite the defeat in Portugal against a side which has gone 29 games unbeaten, Pardew saw enough in Newcastle's performance to believe they can still reach the semi-finals.

"I think we have actually gained confidence from the way we played," he explained. "When you go away from Benfica beaten 3-1, and you are really disappointed because you have gifted them two goals, you have got to take that into the next game."

Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz, meanwhile, believes his side can take advantage of Newcastle's jitters to help push on towards their highest ever Premier League finish of seventh.

"Newcastle are a good team but they have all the pressure; they need to win the game," Ruiz said. "We are playing well, so if we do the things we've been doing, then we will be fine and can play with no pressure."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9976785/Alan-Pardew-seeking-momentum-as-Newcastle-face-crucial-period-of-the-season.html

WhiteJC

Art collector Jol wants another master-class from Berbatov to brush off drop fears

Art collector Martin Jol hopes another Dimitar Berbatov master-class against Newcastle will guarantee survival.

The 32-year-old was in scintillating form in Monday's win over QPR, scoring two first-half goals and producing moments of magic.

Brushed aside: Dimitar Berbatov hopes to keep Fulham up

When Jol was manager of Tottenham in 2006, he brought Berbatov to England and, in 2008 when he was linked with Manchester United, he said he would rather die than sell the Bulgarian - but his hand was forced and they parted ways.

'I wouldn't have said that if I had known everything at the time, but I really thought he would stay and then he went,' said Jol.

'He didn't care by the way about that - he didn't care - he just went!'

A win over Alan Pardew's side today would all but guarantee Fulham Premier League survival for another year and Jol is clearly proud that he has been collecting points this season as voraciously as he collects paintings.

'If you look at us, we have three more points than we had at this stage last year, we have more points than in almost all the other years over the last 10 years,' said Jol.

And he added: 'I have 350 paintings, so I'm fed up with it now! I can't sell them any more. I have them in Holland and in the loft, it's not great but it's an obsession.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2305124/Martin-Jol-hails-Fulham-striker-Dimitar-Berbatov.html#ixzz2PlU6x333
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham Home Preview 12/13

ANOTHER CRUCIAL GAME AS MAGPIES LOOK TO STAY ABOVE DROP ZONE

In a season of what seems to have been full of must win games here is another one as Newcastle look to keep their heads above the Premier League relegation water.

There was talk a few weeks back from people including the manager that we were pretty much safe but we are well in the relegation mix and wins today for Aston Villa and Southampton make victory in this one even more vital.

With the way our season has gone so far I can't realistically see us picking up any maximum points hauls on the road so we have to do the business at home and this game coupled with next weeks derby game gives us the opportunity to bag 6 points which I think would all but see us safe.

Not only would 3 points tomorrow help the cause I think it would help us go into the Benfica and Sunderland game in particular with more confidence and under slightly less pressure.

Tomorrow certainly won't be easy, Fulham are in good form and are unbeaten in 6 and I think their star man Berbatov could give us some problems especially if we defend like we did at times in the 2nd half on Thursday.

Again injuries prevent us from putting out our strongest team with Fabricio Coloccini, Hatem Ben Arfa, Mathieu Debuchy, Massadio Haidara, Cheick Tiote, Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic all out and Danny Simpson rated very doubtful.

Gouffran comes back into contention after being ineligible on Thursday but other than that we are going to be relying on the same bodies.

Simpson's injury I would pressume will maybe see Anita come into contention, whether that be in the midfield or at fullback. With Fulham having two pretty large and dominent centre halves their could be an argument for Ameobi to play but I am guessing the manager will probably stick with the 4-2-3-1 he favours with Cisse as the 1 so unless Shola comes in and plays wide then that is maybe unlikely.

I would go with the above formation with Jonas filling in at left back and Anita playing in the midfield and Gouffran coming in ahead of Perch, so something along the lines of this: Krul, Santon, Taylor, Yanga, Jonas, Cabaye, Anita, Gouffran, Marveaux, Sissoko, Cisse.

A point is no good in this for me, has to be all 3 to once again just give us a bit of breathing space. Hopefully we can do what we did on Thursday and come out and get at Fulham quickly but obviously maintain that, take our chances and not suddenly start defending like idiots like we did on Thursday!

http://www.toonarmyblog.co.uk/news/2013/April/6/fulham-home-preview-12-13.php?

WhiteJC

Terry Butcher on Newcastle vs Fulham: Why it's not too Dim to see a Toon win

PLUS: Find out who my Champ and Chump of the Week are and why Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt don't impress me much

Beware the Bulgarian: Berbatov has been in fine form this season
Clive Rose

Newcastle return to ­domestic action this afternoon against a Fulham side sitting comfortably in mid-table.

The Geordies need the points more than the ­Cottagers, but will have to contain an in-form Dimitar Berbatov, who has scored in four consecutive matches for the first time in his ­Premier League career.

In their previous five League encounters, Alan Pardew's side have claimed only one victory, but the
last three home fixtures at St James' Park have yielded three successive wins.

Newcastle seem to enjoy playing on Tyneside in the Premier League, especially after away ties in Europe during the week, winning an impressive eight times this season but Martin Jol did mastermind a great ­victory at Tottenham ­recently while managing to keep Gareth Bale and Co. goalless.

Fulham are undefeated in five whereas ­Newcastle have lost three in a row, conceding nine goals in the process.

And with next week's ­terrific games against ­Benfica and Sunderland to come, Pardew will see ­today's clash as one he simply cannot ­afford to lose.

Champ of the week

Roberto Mancini (Manchester City)

The table doesn't lie Roberto
Getty

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk Newcastle vs Fulham preview: Why it's not too Dim to see a Toon win by Terry Butcher - Terry Butcher - Mirror Online
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August