more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (11/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 11, 2013, 04:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Chelsea: Tickets still available for London derby clash
Fulham v Chelsea: Tickets are still available for this west London derby clash at Craven Cottage next week at viagogo!

Chelsea travel to Fulham next week knowing that they cannot afford to slip-up in the race for Champions League qualification – and tickets are still available for the clash at Craven Cottage at viagogo!

Rafael Benítez's men make the short trip to Fulham next Wednesday as they look to keep on course for a top-four finish this season.

The Blues are currently third in the Premier League table after they came from a goal down to beat Sunderland 2-1 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

However, fourth-placed Tottenham are level on points with their London rivals and Arsenal are only a further two points behind them as the race for a top-four finish hots up.

Chelsea will be hoping to finish third and secure a direct route into Europe's elite club competition, rather than having to navigate their way through the play-off stage should they end up fourth.

Fulham, meanwhile, will be looking to climb the table after the west Londoners all but secured their Premier League safety with that dramatic 3-2 win over Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road earlier this month.

Martin Jol's men went down 1-0 at Newcastle on Sunday and face a tricky trip to Aston Villa at the weekend before hosting Chelsea and Arsenal in consecutive games. They may be in 10th place in the table but a tricky run of fixtures could well drop them down the ladder.

So with so much at stake for both sides heading into this game, why not book your seat at Craven Cottage for this Premier League encounter today?

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/04/fulham-v-chelsea-tickets-still-available-for-london-derby-clash/?

WhiteJC

Villa v Fulham: Ever-present Lowton keeping his feet on the ground
Man of the moment Matt Lowton staying humble.

Matt Lowton's objectives were clear and simple when he arrived from League One Sheffield United.

"I set my stall out to work as hard as I could in the summer and to get into the team as soon as I could," recalls the 23-year defender who has played every minute of every Premier League game for Villa this season. "To be picked for the first game [at West Ham] was unbelievable but once I was there I set my stall out again to stay in the team and to continue to work hard.

"Growing up, I wasn't always blessed with a lot of talent but I was never afraid to work hard and put the effort in. You saw people going home straight away when you're working hard and, even though they were better footballers than you, they're not doing it now. I've always had it in my mind that if you work hard you'll get repaid for it. I've been lucky enough to avoid injuries and stuff like that as well."

Humility rooted deep in his Chesterfield upbringing and a real sense of earnest purpose are defining features of family man Lowton's determined, plain-speaking, appealing nature. The first thought that crossed his mind when he scored and celebrated with his team-mates a genuine contender for goal of the season on Saturday against Stoke was indicative of an attitude that is steeped in the ethics of 'team'.

"I was thinking to myself, 'We need to hold on and win the game.' That was the only thought in my head," he reflects. "A goal like that and the timing and significance of it, it's nice when the points are so crucial. But the main thing is the three points and, as I keep saying, that the team takes the momentum and the confidence into the next game."

Inevitably, manager Paul Lambert will take Lowton into the next game, too. Hungry and ambitious, he embodies a commitment to the cause which has marked him down as one of the most consistent and reliable performers in a team which, over time, is finding its feet.

"The manager has a really good way of communicating with the players and getting his message across," Lowton reveals.

"He'll take you aside and he won't just say, 'You're doing it wrong', he'll say, 'This is how you do it right'. We watch videos and I like to think that it's helped me, being told where we went wrong and where we did things right and how to improve specific areas of your game.

"I switched off in a game at the start of the season and the gaffer showed me and said, 'You're in a good position here,' but then I switched off. It wasn't even a major thing but he caught it, pointed it out and that's how you learn as a player and improve your game. He's been very good with me and all of the players really in terms of instilling confidence and belief.

"The goal I scored against Swansea - it was my weaker foot! The ball got headed out and I just concentrated on my first touch. When it sat up I thought, 'Why not?' Same against Stoke, the ball was there to be struck and, thankfully, I just caught it right. That's partly down to the gaffer as well, the confidence that he's put into me since I've come here - don't be afraid to try things. Luckily, it flew in.

"This season has been a bit of a rollercoaster for everybody, we know that. There's been a new manager who has come in and a lot of new players as well but, like I say, we've all stuck together and morale has been high all season. That's been a constant and so has the support of the fans, which is just phenomenal. The passion in the away end on Saturday - it was electric and, home and away, the fans have been fantastic, 100 per cent behind the team and what the manager and the club are trying to do and achieve.

"The performance levels have been consistent over the past several months and the results are coming now as well. Like you say, the last few results have been fantastic for us. They've been massive games and we knew we had to beat the teams in and around us. We know we have a job to do still but we can take great confidence from the way we've been performing. We just need to keep doing it now over the remainder of the season. We're growing and coming together as a team, no question, so we believe we can."

In his formative years, Steven Gerrard was one of Lowton's idols and he is humbled now to be mentioned in the same breath as the Liverpool captain, having featured this season - like Gerrard and Everton and England defender Leighton Baines - in every passage of Premier League play for his team.

"It's crazy for me to think that I'm in the same sentence as Steven Gerrard," he says, smiling sheepishly. "He's been one of my idols growing up, watching him in Champions League finals and playing for England, so to be mentioned in the same breath as him is remarkable. But he's been doing it for years now and that's the challenge for me. That's what I need to do, not just one season but doing it for 10 or 12 like he has. Like I say, I've watched him for years and hopefully I can keep learning from him."

Lowton credits his girlfriend, Abi, and children Alexa and Harry for helping him to adjust to life in the Premier League - and also a loan spell at Hungarian club Ferencvaros [then a sister club to Sheffield United] when he was 18.

"I went abroad for 10 months and I had to grow up fast living on my own out there straight away," he relates. "For the first time in my life I had to do everything for myself, things like washing - I even dabbled in a bit of ironing! I didn't learn much Hungarian though - it's the hardest language in the world! I tried, I picked up a few words here and there like you do but it's a really hard language to learn. But it was great, the environment, a different culture ... the fans of Ferencvaros, they were a crazy set of fans! We had one game called off because we were losing 3-1 and the fans set the stand on fire! Unbelievable!

"But it's all a part of the learning experience. Having kids, too, has helped me grow up and Abi helps me an awful lot as well. And having a lot of lads in and around my own sort of age in the team, that's been great with settling in. It's been easier to get to know people as the lads are fantastic and we all have a good laugh away from it all."

On the pitch, however, it is all business and the challenges of this season have been helped a great deal by the contribution of Christian Benteke who has scored 15 Premier League goals and 19 in all competitions.

"He's fantastic. On his day he's unplayable," Lowton emphasises. "You've seen the different types of goals that he scores, the one at West Brom where they stood off him, then they try to tackle him when he runs at them and he's smashed it in the top corner. Then there's the one at Liverpool where they've done the opposite and tried to get the ball off him and he's beaten them and put the ball in the back of the net. Like I say, on his day he's unplayable and he's great to have in the team."

As it is to have Matt Lowton - just ask the man who has picked him in every Premier League game.

"Like I said at the weekend, I don't think you will see a better goal in Europe let alone anywhere else than Matt Lowton's," says Paul Lambert. "The technique, chest control and volley were just outstanding. He has played every minute of every game in the league and there's a reason for that - he has been outstanding."

Snap up match tickets for our clash with Fulham.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3139515,00.html?

WhiteJC

Diarra's Fulham future in doubt

MARTIN Jol will wait until midfielder Mahamadou Diarra returns to fitness before deciding on his Fulham future.

The Mali international has made just eight appearances all season due to a niggling knee injury, which has brought a premature end to his campaign.

Diarra, 31, is out of contract in the summer, and Jol wants to see if the former Real Madrid star makes a full recovery before offering him a new deal at Craven Cottage.

"Diarra is injured, so unfortunately he's not in a strong position," said boss Jol.

"We will look after him and hopefully he will be fit again. Like [Zdenek] Grygera last year, we will have to make a decision."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/04/10/82029-33152503/?#ixzz2Q7dsalQ5

WhiteJC

Philippe Senderos: I could have been a basketball star before turning to football

Fulham and Switzerland centre-back Philippe Senderos, 28, recently signed a one-year contract extension, tying him to Craven Cottage until 2014. Fulham travel to Aston Villa on Saturday.

Dimitar Berbatov is on fire for Fulham at the moment. How much of a difference has he made this season?

'We have a different team to last year and we had a lot of goals then from Clint Dempsey. This year Berba has done a lot for us – he can pull off something special and if you keep it tight, he might just score you a goal. A lot of people say we rely a lot on his goals but I think we have a very balanced team.'

You met Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele at Tottenham when you won there recently, of course.

'It's weird – it was strange to see them. I was quite close to Clint and Mousa and was really pleased that when they moved on, they went to a good club and are playing in Europe.'

And it helped your old club Arsenal out too, in the race for the top four.

'Arsenal was a big part of my career so I have a soft spot for them but first of all I wanted the three points for Fulham.'

Do you still speak much to their manager Arsene Wenger now?

'Arsene was very important in my career and I speak to him every time we play against them and also once in a while. He has been a big influence on me and I have a lot of respect for him.'

After signing a new deal, you must be glad that you have some stability.

'Stability is right. I'm happy here and happy to be playing Premier League football. We've had some good results recently, which shows we're doing something right. Hopefully we can push on and make sure we finish in the top ten.'

Can Fulham build on that and qualify for the Europa League again next season?

'This is what we're aiming for. We know we can beat every team we play but if we could do this on a regular basis, we'd be a lot higher up.'

Has inconsistency been an issue this season?

'There have been a few opportunities we have missed in away games. We had a bit of a dip around Christmas but picked ourselves up and the coach seems to have found a team he is comfortable with.'

But next season you must be looking for better.

'I think so. I'm an ambitious person and a lot of people are at the club too, so hopefully with some more good performances, we can take some consistency into next season.'

You speak six languages. I bet that comes in handy with the many nationalities you have played alongside.

'People in Switzerland speak a few languages and sometimes I've acted as the translator in the dressing room. Although it's not my job, I'm happy to do it!'

You're 6ft 2in. Did you fancy basketball as a career, like your brother Julien?

'My brother was a basketball player but he's retired now. I used to play but my dad wanted my brother to play football. When that didn't happen, it worked with me the second time around.'

Fulham 2013-14 season tickets are on sale with early bird prices starting from just £399 for adults, £95 for juniors – fulhamfc.com/seasontickets

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/10/philippe-senderos-i-could-have-been-a-basketball-star-before-turning-to-football-3592000/?

WhiteJC

Trotta seals crucial Brentford victory

Crewe 0 Brentford 2

Marcello Trotta's late goal, scored less than two minutes after he came on as a substitute, sealed a victory that keeps Brentford in the race for automatic promotion.

Uwe Rosler's side, who took an early lead courtesy of Bradley Wright-Phillips, moved back up to third in the table – only two points behind second-placed Bournemouth.

Wright-Phillips, on loan from Charlton, struck after 12 minutes at Gresty Road – and the goal was a beauty.

Clayton Donaldson met Sam Saunders' pass with a back-heel to Shaleum Logan, whose first-time cross was headed in by Wright-Phillips at the near post.

The Bees almost doubled their lead when Harlee Dean headed against the bar, while Wright-Phillips, Adam Forshaw and Jonathan Douglas all had chances to make it 2-0 before the interval.

They continued to create openings after the restart and top scorer Donaldson missed two great chances to score, heading over free-kicks from Saunders and Forshaw.

At the other end, keeper Simon Moore made a good save to deny to deny Harry Davis.

But Brentford were deserved winners and their fine display was capped when on-loan Fulham striker Trotta fired home seven minutes from time after being set up by Douglas.

Brentford: Moore, Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell, Forshaw (Hodson 73), Douglas, Adeyemi, Saunders (Diagouraga 71), Donaldson, Wright-Phillips (Trotta 82).
Subs not used: Gounet, O'Connor, Reeves, El Alagui.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/brentford/trotta-seals-crucial747742-brentford-victory?

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 11, 2013, 04:34:30 AM

Diarra's Fulham future in doubt

MARTIN Jol will wait until midfielder Mahamadou Diarra returns to fitness before deciding on his Fulham future.

The Mali international has made just eight appearances all season due to a niggling knee injury, which has brought a premature end to his campaign.

Diarra, 31, is out of contract in the summer, and Jol wants to see if the former Real Madrid star makes a full recovery before offering him a new deal at Craven Cottage.

"Diarra is injured, so unfortunately he's not in a strong position," said boss Jol.

"We will look after him and hopefully he will be fit again. Like [Zdenek] Grygera last year, we will have to make a decision."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/04/10/82029-33152503/?#ixzz2Q7dsalQ5

Why is his future in doubt? Certainly nobody believes that he'll ever play for us more than 5 or 6 games over 2 seasons.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

Villa v Fulham: Lambert encouraged by Bowery progress
Paul Lambert hails Jordan Bowery's potential.

Paul Lambert has urged Jordan Bowery to build on his encouraging display against Stoke after hailing the forward's potential.

Bowery was handed a surprise start - only his third since joining from Chesterfield in August - in last Saturday's 3-1 win at the Britannia Stadium.

And the 21-year-old repaid Lambert's faith by producing a lively performance.

As well as playing a big part in the build-up to Gabby Agbonlahor's opening goal, he went close with two opportunities of his own.

In the first half Bowery brushed the side-netting with a 25-yard shot and after the break he forced Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic into a fine near-post save.

Lambert was impressed with Bowery's efforts on the right hand side of Villa's four-pronged attack.

"I get great satisfaction seeing footballers doing well, it's never about myself," said the Villa boss.

"Jordan was excellent at Stoke. He hasn't played for a long time. He's a young lad, but he's another one who has got a lot of potential.

"I thought he was outstanding on the right side for us. He did brilliantly for the first goal with Matty Lowton. His general performance was excellent.

"He was a threat during the time he was on and one bit of skill was outstanding."

Snap up match tickets for our clash with Fulham.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3139641,00.html?

WhiteJC

Trotta Seals The Win

Marcello Trotta's superb strike sealed a 2-0 win for Brentford at Crewe Alexandra on Wednesday evening.

The Bees were already a goal to the good through Bradley Wright-Phillips' early header when Trotta was introduced as an 82nd=minute replacement for the striker.

And it took the Italian less than two minutes to double his side's advantage with an exquisite goal. Jonathan Douglas chipped a ball into the penalty area and the Italian executed a pristine first-time volley which flew beyond Crewe's substitute goalkeeper Alan Martin to the delight of the visiting fans.

It was a big win for Uwe Rosler's side, who leapfrog Dan Burn's Yeovil Town to move up to third in the npower League One standings.

They are two points behind AFC Bournemouth and four behind leaders Doncaster Rovers, but they have a game in hand on both as the season approaches its conclusion.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/trotta-seals-the-win?

WhiteJC

Chelsea on General Sale

The Whites welcome Chelsea to Craven Cottage on Wednesday 17th April (8pm) and tickets are available to buy on General Sale now!

Fulham have not lost a Barclays Premier League match to our South-West London rivals since November 2010, with the last four clashes all ending in draws. Join us as we aim to extend our unbeaten run against the Blues in Wednesday's derby match under the floodlights by purchasing your tickets today.

Season Ticket Holders, Members and Supporters with a Booking History can buy their tickets online today. All other supporters can buy their tickets directly from the Ticket Office by calling 0843 208 1234 (Option 3).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/chelsea-on-general-sale?

WhiteJC

U21s Take On Boro

Fulham Under-21s play their second game in four days on Thursday night when they take on Middlesbrough at Motspur Park (7pm).

Kit Symons' side drew 1-1 with Everton on Monday, with Muamer Tankovic scoring the Whites' goal, and, with just one defeat in their last five matches, Fulham will be looking to extend their impressive recent run.

In the reverse fixture, played at Rockliffe Park in early February, Boro and Fulham had to settle for a share of the points following a 2-2 draw. Cauley Woodrow opened the scoring for the Whites, although goals from Curtis Main and Luke Williams would put the home side in front before Ryan Williams levelled for Symons' charges.

Boro last played a Barclays Under-21 Premier League fixture in mid-March, a 2-0 home defeat of Chelsea with Ryan Brobbel and Muzzy Carayol on target. Going into Thursday's encounter, Boro occupy third spot in the table – a point in front of fourth-placed Fulham.

Meanwhile, the Under-21s' home clash with Aston Villa has been moved to Sunday 21st April (2pm). The game was originally due to be played on Monday 22nd April but has been rescheduled due to Villa's first-team commitments.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/fulham-u21-v-boro?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol is hoping to keep Giorgos Karagounis at Fulham next season

Giorgos Karagounis: Fulham midfielder out of contract at end of season

Fulham manager Martin Jol is hoping to keep Giorgos Karagounis at the club next season.

The 36-year-old Greece international joined the Cottagers on a free transfer from Panathinaikos in September but is out of contract in the summer.

Jol told the Evening Standard: "Time is on our side, of course, because he will not go for £5m or £6m to another club.

"But, on the other hand, I do not want to see him go to other clubs. He is happy here."

Karagounis appears to have settled well in London and added: "Fulham is a great team to play for. The club have impressed me.

"To compete in the Premier League is a joy for every footballer. It is one of the toughest leagues in the world. It is better than I imagined."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8630795/?

WhiteJC

Berbatov not the be all and end all - Senderos

Philippe Senderos has praised Dimitar Berbatov's impact with Fulham this season but insisted they are not totally reliant on his goals.

The 28-year-old Switzerland central defender, who recently put pen-to-paper on a new deal extension to keep him at Craven Cottage until summer 2014, has spoken out on Berbatov's influence on the side since he joined from Manchester United last summer. The Bulgarian striker has taken on the job of replacing Clint Dempsey's goals, with 13 in the bag for Martin Jol's men this term, which has helped the Cottagers up to mid-table and eight points clear of the relegation zone. However, Senderos has dismissed suggestions that the Londoners would be in trouble if Berbatov was not in the team. He said: "We have a different team to last year and we had a lot of goals then from Clint Dempsey. This year Berba has done a lot for us - he can pull off something special and if you keep it tight, he might just score you a goal. "A lot of people say we rely a lot on his goals but I think we have a very balanced team."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/berbatov-not-the-be-all-and-end-all---senderos-1574337.html?

WhiteJC

Inside Villa Park

Aston Villa supporter Nick Sandy gives us the lowdown on his club ahead of Saturday's meeting with the Whites.

Looking back on the 2012/13 campaign, has the season met your expectations in terms of what you had initially outlined for Aston Villa?

The campaign has been disappointing with our involvement in the relegation battle. My expectation was never that Villa would be challenging at the top end of the Barclays Premier League but I was hoping for a season without the drama experienced so far! 

We know it's been a tough season so far at Villa Park – but in many ways Paul Lambert should be applauded for what he's trying to achieve with the club's younger players – do you share that opinion?

Yes, Lambert has done a good job with fairly minimal resources. He has looked to give young, hungry footballers an opportunity and I think, for the most part, they've performed well. This season should stand the young players in good stead and allow them to really kick on next term. The season has been a steep learning curve for a number of the younger players and particularly those who have been signed from the lower leagues. But, with a year's worth of top-flight experience under their belt, they can only get better next season.

Against Stoke City last week, eight of the starting XI were 23-years-old or younger, which is an incredible stat.

I think this reflects Lambert's intention to find hidden gems in the lower leagues that can go on to perform in the Premier League. Ashley Westwood is one good example of this paying off. Villa have a good reputation for bringing young players through and that's something we have seen for a while now. The Under-19s recently won the NextGen Series too, so hopefully we'll see a few more step up and do well.

When Stoke levelled on Saturday, heads could have dropped. But the team fought back to win 3-1 at the Britannia and showed real character. How important is that at this stage of the campaign?

It's really important at this stage of the competition, particularly as it's not a trait that Villa have shown too much this term! All too often we've taken the lead in games only to concede and draw or lose the match. We appear to have started a winning habit at just the right time!

That said, Villa are still very much involved in the relegation battle aren't they?

We're still involved and lots of the teams in and around the bottom three are collecting points. Villa just need to keep going and hopefully not leave ourselves with too much to do away at Wigan Athletic on the last day of the season. In our current form I'm confident that Villa can do the job and stay in the division. We just need to continue playing the way we currently are.

Indeed, and nine points from your last four matches certainly suggests that Villa could well have turned the corner.

It seems so; we've won some massive games recently against Queens Park Rangers, Reading and Stoke. I can accept losses at some of the teams higher up the league as long as we beat our close rivals – recently we appear to be achieving this.

Christian Benteke's goals have also been crucial haven't they? How much of an impact has he made this season?

Benteke (pictured) has been a revelation this season; for a 22-year-old who's new to English football, he has been superb. Hopefully, he'll go on to score 20 goals in the league which will be a massive achievement and something not seen at Villa Park for some time. I've also been really impressed with the contribution of Andreas Weimann.

Next up is Fulham at Villa Park – how do you see that game going and what's your assessment of the Whites as visiting opponents?

Fulham are known for not being the best travellers and hopefully this won't change at Villa Park on Saturday! Villa matches are never straightforward, though, and there will be plenty of nervous moments. Fulham definitely have the players to exploit any slip ups, particularly Dimitar Berbatov.

For those Fulham fans making the trip to Villa Park, what are the best things about visiting the Villans' home?

The best thing about Villa Park is that it retains the feel of a traditional football ground as well as being modern and comfortable. Hearing the Holte End in full voice cannot be beaten.

And what's the one song that the Fulham fans are bound to hear?

Holte Enders in the Sky.

Score prediction:

I'm going for a 2-0 win for Villa.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/inside-villa-park?

WhiteJC

Reading on Sale

The Whites welcome Reading to Craven Cottage on Saturday 4th May (3pm) and tickets are now available for Season Ticket Holders to buy.

The sides played out an enthralling 3-3 draw at the Madejski Stadium back in October, where Dimitar Berbatov's late effort looked set to give Fulham three points, only for Reading substitute Hal Robson-Kanu to bundle home an equaliser in the dying seconds to ensure the home side took a share of the spoils.

The last time these two teams came up against each other at the Cottage was back in the 2007/08 season, when Fulham ran out 3-1 winners over the Royals. 

Tickets for our penultimate home game of the campaign are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders, with tickets due to go on sale to Members on Tuesday 16th April, and on General Sale from Thursday 18th April.

Find out more at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/reading-on-sale?

WhiteJC

Benteke will outshine Berbatov and see Villa past Fulham
The big Belgian can win the battle of the in-form strikers and give Paul Lambert's men a huge win in a game featuring over 2.5 goals at a very tempting 13/5.

Aston Villa moved out of the bottom three and two points clear of the relegation places last Saturday courtesy of an impressive 3-1 win away at fellow strugglers Stoke City, giving Paul Lambert's side a major boost in their bid to beat the drop.

It was their third victory in four Premier League matches, having secured vital wins over Reading and QPR before a narrow 2-1 home defeat to Liverpool on Easter Sunday – a game in which they will count themselves unlucky not to have gained at least a point.

Next up is the visit of Fulham, who saw their run of five league games without a loss brought to an end at the very death away at Newcastle on Sunday afternoon, as Papiss Cisse pounced in injury time to secure a 1-0 win for the Magpies.

The Cottagers currently occupy tenth spot, eight points above the drop zone with a game in hand on most of the sides below them, with their Premier League survival all but secure given there appears to be just one more relegation spot to be decided.

It's the hosts that have been priced as favourites to secure back-to-back wins and move further away from trouble at 6/5, with the draw at 11/5 and Fulham at 23/10 to put last weekend's defeat firmly behind them by collecting all three points at Villa Park.

It was a tight encounter when the sides met at Craven Cottage earlier in the season as a Chris Baird strike five minutes from time proved the decisive goal as Fulham ran out 1-0 victors, ending a run of six games without a win against the Midlands club.

Another low-scoring match this time around looks unlikely, with 14 of the 16 matches following Villa's goalless draw at home to Stoke back in mid-December involving at least three goals, so over 2.5 goals at 91/100 should not be ignored.

The match also sees two of the league's in-form strikers come head-to-head, with the home side's Belgian international Christian Benteke having notched 15 league goals this term, while Dimitar Berbatov has found the net 13 times for the Londoners.

Benteke, who has scored in each of his last four outings, can be backed at 7/5 to notch at any time, with Berbatov, who has five in five and opened the proceedings in four of those games, looking a great price at 13/2 to score the first goal of the game.

Trips to Villa Park haven't proved very fruitful for Fulham since they gained promotion to the Premier League in 2001, as they've failed to win on any of their last 11 visits, losing on seven of those occasions.

In fact, the Cottagers have a far from enviable record on their travels since moving up to the top flight, securing maximum points just 33 times in the 244 games they have played on the road since, with three of those coming this term.

With this in mind, and the fact that Villa are on a good run of form and fighting for their survival while their visitors sit fairly comfortably in mid-table, a home win in a match involving over 2.5 goals combined looks a great bet at 13/5.

Punters registering with bwin can claim a free £20 bet and placing this on Villa to win a game of over 2.5 goals would return a cool £62 if successful – get on it now.

Top bet: Aston Villa to win and over 2.5 goals @ 13/5

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/expect-goals-villa-park-home-side-picking-vital-win-bid-survival,39257.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Ashkan Dejagah out for rest of season with ankle injury

Askhan Dejagah: Freak ankle injury ends Fulham midfielder's season

Fulham will be without midfielder Ashkan Dejagah for the rest of the season with an ankle ligament injury.

Dejagah was hurt colliding with an advertising hoarding against QPR on 1 April and he will need surgery to correct the problem.

The Iranian will go under the knife next week and Jol does not believe he will be available again until the start of the new season.

"Ashkan Dejagah needs an operation on his ankle ligament," Jol said.

"That will be next week and I think he will be out for the rest of the season."

Jol is also unsure whether Cameroon midfielder Eyong Enoh will be available for Saturday's trip to Aston Villa after hurting his ankle against Newcastle.

The Dutchman added: "We will do an assesment on Friday. He could probably play but we are not sure yet."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8631142?

WhiteJC

Jol's Villa Preview

Martin Jol has revealed that Ashkan Dejagah is likely to miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury.

The winger suffered the problem in the first half of our 3-2 victory over Queens Park Rangers at the start of the month, but it was hoped he would make a swift return to the Fulham squad.

However, Jol, speaking to the media on Thursday afternoon ahead of the weekend's trip to Aston Villa, has now confessed that we're unlikely to see Dejagah again during the current campaign.

"Ashkan Dejagah needs an operation on his ankle ligament," he explained. "That will be next week so I think he will be out for the rest of the season.

"Mahamadou Diarra still has a problem with his left knee because he had surgery on it so that will take another five, six months. And Eyong Enoh, we will do another assessment on Friday and he could probably play [against Villa], but we are not sure yet."

With Paul Lambert's men currently sitting 16th in the Barclays Premier League on 33 points, their relegation fears are far from allayed, but Jol insists he has seen enough from the Villans this season to know his side are in for a stern test on Saturday afternoon.

"If you see Villa's results, they have got quality," he said. "They have got Christian Benteke, Andreas Weimann, Gabriel Agbonlahor, even Darren Bent on the bench.

"People keep telling me that they are young but I think they changed their system as well. They've had some fantastic results - if you think about Liverpool away from home a couple of months ago, for example.

"They've had some disappointing results, too, because it's a tough league but I still feel that if you look at their results, especially at home, they're okay. I think they are in the same situation as a lot of other clubs – if they pick up the points in the next couple of weeks, they will be fine."

Fulham go into the match just a draw away from reaching the much coveted 40-point marker. And, while Jol is keen to look up the table rather than over his shoulder, he admits that he is keen to get a few more points on the board sooner rather than later.

"We tend to tell each other that we are okay because it will be quite negative if we were to say that we have to look down the table every day," he said. "I feel that we need another win because you never know.

"Realistically we are fine, but if everyone were to start winning in the last six or seven matches then you could end up with a problem. But hopefully we will get a couple of results in the next week or so.

"Overall we have done well away from home – maybe too many draws but, on the other hand, even at Newcastle United I think we could have done a bit better. To concede a goal in the 93rd minute is disappointing."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/jols-villa-preview?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol says improving Aston Villa will provide a tough test this weekend

Martin Jol: Fulham boss knows Aston Villa will pose a stern test

Fulham boss Martin Jol will not be taking Aston Villa lightly when he takes his side to the Midlands on Saturday.

The Cottagers go into the game one point shy of the 40 usually regarded as enough to avoid relegation and Jol is keen to put to bed any doubt over the club's Premier League future as soon as possible.

But Villa have improved significantly over the last month, with three wins from their last four games to move out of the bottom three, and Jol expects them to provide a stern test.

"If you see Villa's results, they have got quality," Jol said. "They have got Christian Benteke, Andreas Weimann, Gabriel Agbonlahor, even Darren Bent on the bench.

"People keep telling me that they are young but I think they changed their system as well. They've had some fantastic results - if you think about Liverpool away from home a couple of months ago, for example.

"They've had some disappointing results, too, because it's a tough league but I still feel that if you look at their results, especially at home, they're okay. I think they are in the same situation as a lot of other clubs - if they pick up the points in the next couple of weeks, they will be fine.

"We tend to tell each other that we are okay because it will be quite negative if we were to say that we have to look down the table every day. I feel that we need another win because you never know.

"Realistically we are fine, but if everyone were to start winning in the last six or seven matches then you could end up with a problem. But hopefully we will get a couple of results in the next week or so.

"Overall we have done well away from home - maybe too many draws but, on the other hand, even at Newcastle United I think we could have done a bit better. To concede a goal in the 93rd minute is disappointing."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8631228?