hawkeye goal line technology

Started by spikey norman, April 11, 2013, 01:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

is to be introduced into Prem League next season
interesting to see how this works

Rhys Lightning 63

Not good enough for me.

Yes it will decide on whether or not a ball has crossed the line, but if somebody handballs it in the process, or is offside in the buildup, they'll get away scotfree.

Video replays are the only option in my book
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

TonyGilroy

It'll work very well but will be needed about once every 500 games.

Even then TV cameras will do about as good a job. Serious investment in technology would be transforming but this very minor change that they're agonising over is rarely going to be used.

I really don't understand why, when there are tv cameras at the ground, a ref who isn't sure about something couldn't be allowed to have a look at the pictures.

elgreenio

Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 11, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

Even then TV cameras will do about as good a job. Serious investment in technology would be transforming but this very minor change that they're agonising over is rarely going to be used.

I really don't understand why, when there are tv cameras at the ground, a ref who isn't sure about something couldn't be allowed to have a look at the pictures.

it would end up turning into rugby or american football if we were to stop the game every time the ball gets remotely close to the goal to take a look at a video replay. I'm personally all for it and hope we're on the right end of some decisions from it.
touch my camera through the fence

spikey norman

all valid points  but most prem grounds have large tv screens and it would only take a few seconds to play footage of the incident for ref (and whole crowd) to see and then make correct decision

TonyGilroy

But when did you last see a game live where that happened?

Occasionally I've seen it on TV but the commentators know there's a problem immediately. I simply don't understand why that can't be communicated to the referee or let him ask to see the evidence.

A referee can't always know - let him ask for help if it's available. This expensive technology for this one single problem is an unnecessary expense.

LondonFulhamWhite

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on April 11, 2013, 01:49:31 PM
Not good enough for me.

Yes it will decide on whether or not a ball has crossed the line, but if somebody handballs it in the process, or is offside in the buildup, they'll get away scotfree.

That's like buying an Iphone and being disappointed when it doesn't make you a cup of tea.

Forever Fulham

Once they start using it, the camel's nose is in the tent.  It will only be a matter of time before certain plays are declared eligible for video replay challenge.  For instance, I wouldn't be surprised to see every goal eventually reviewed for offsides.  Is that a good thing?  Will it be too big of a break from the tradition of the game?  Each generation will put its own stamp on the game.
One of the beauties of this game is the way it flows through near-constant movement.  
They will have to find that sweet spot where such interruptions and stops don't become  too annoying for the fans and players.

MJG

Not good enough for me.

well this is for a decision based on a matter of fact. The ball did or did not cross the line.
Other incidents are an opinion and open to interpretation.

fulhamben

Quote from: Forever Fulham on April 11, 2013, 02:28:17 PM
Once they start using it, the camel's nose is in the tent.  It will only be a matter of time before certain plays are declared eligible for video replay challenge.  For instance, I wouldn't be surprised to see every goal eventually reviewed for offsides.  Is that a good thing?  Will it be too big of a break from the tradition of the game?  Each generation will put its own stamp on the game.
One of the beauties of this game is the way it flows through near-constant movement.  
They will have to find that sweet spot where such interruptions and stops don't become  too annoying for the fans and players.
Not good enough for me.

how could that be a good tging. its will turn football boring. like american football.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Forever Fulham

At one time players could throw the ball onto the pitch with one hand, generating greater distance.  And they've tweaked the offsides rules over the years.  So, it's not as if the public will refuse to accept changes in the game.  As to whether stops for video replays would make the game boring, Ive watched how overrulings of key plays which changed the outcome of a game in other sports were quite dramatic, not boring at all.

timmyg

oh dearie me technology and finally accepting it's the 21st century, lets all go back to our pre-industrial agrarian life and throw out DNA testing in the courts and all that other modern stuff in society because it breaks from this nebulous notion of tradition.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 11, 2013, 02:04:40 PM
But when did you last see a game live where that happened?

Occasionally I've seen it on TV but the commentators know there's a problem immediately. I simply don't understand why that can't be communicated to the referee or let him ask to see the evidence.

A referee can't always know - let him ask for help if it's available. This expensive technology for this one single problem is an unnecessary expense.
Sky can have a replay from all angles in about 20 seconds that the ref could view on a pitch side monitor, how long does all the protesting and mobbing the ref take, all this prattle about slowing the game, a free kick near the goal takes two minutes to organise now! agree Tony this is a very expensive bit of kit just to please the tv companies, ps got your invite for the big do on Wednesday?

epsomraver

Quote from: spikey norman on April 11, 2013, 02:01:03 PM
all valid points  but most prem grounds have large tv screens and it would only take a few seconds to play footage of the incident for ref (and whole crowd) to see and then make correct decision

Incidents are never shown on big screens.

cmg

Doesn't need any complicated technology. Just two extra dedicated and non-comatose individuals to police the goal-lines. It's worked fabulously well in the European competitions - just ask Brede Hangeland.

I suppose it's a good idea. But as a crotchety old fogey it drives me to dispair with all the faffing about that goes on in cricket and rugby while some joker with a video screen views interminable replays to eventually come up with (the still sometimes wrong) descision.

It is one of the very, very few advantages for me of having had a career (such as it was) when I did, that I didn't have to stand around freezing my wotsits off while a bloke in a studio forensically examined every pixel of a super-slomo of an indistinct image taken from a distorting angle, or (while we are about it) collecting splinters in my backside from the sub's bench or twiddling my thumbs during a half-time of sufficient duration to take a short winter holiday - any cessation of play for longer than five minutes my body took as a signal to head to the bar.

That's it - not a bad rant for such a non-contentious subject.   092.gif

filham

Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 11, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

I think you may be about right with the once in 500 games which means that the system may not be used in anger all of next season. Love to know the total cost of installing and maintaining and training operators in premiership grounds. I am sure the money could be put to better use, a few quid of the price of a season ticket for instance.