more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 12, 2013, 06:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Dejagah blow for Fulham as midfielder is ruled out for remainder of season

Injured Fulham midfielder Ashkan Dejagah will miss the rest of the Barclays Premier League season, manager Martin Jol has confirmed.

Dejagah requires an operation to repair ankle ligament damaged suffered when he collided with an advertising hoarding in Fulham's 3-2 victory over QPR on April 1.

Game over: Dejagah requires surgery on his ankle and is out for the season

The Iranian will go under the knife next week and he will not play again this campaign.

'Ashkan Dejagah needs an operation on his ankle ligament. That will be next week and I think he will be out for the rest of the season,' Jol said.

Down and out: The Iranian will undergo surgery next week

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2307463/Fulham-midfielder-Ashkan-Dejagah-ruled-remainder-season.html#ixzz2QE1iPdkA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham sweat on Enoh injury for Aston Villa trip

Fulham's Eyong Enoh leaves the field after picking up an injury at Newcastle.
Photo: Owen Humphreys/PA

Fulham manager Martin Jol is waiting to discover whether Cameroon international Eyong Enoh will be fit for Saturday's Premier League trip to Aston Villa.

The midfielder limped off in the west Londoners' defeat at Newcastle last week.

Jol said: "We will do an assesment tomorrow. He could probably play but we are not sure yet."

Fulham head to Villa Park with the Dutchman believing the club need one more win to guarantee their top flight place for next season.

The Whites face a Villa side battling for their own survival, with Paul Lambert's men just two points above the relegation zone.

"I feel we need another win because you never know. Realistically we are fine but if everyone else starts winning in the last six or seven matchesthen you could have a problem," Jol said.

"Hopefully we will get a couple of results in the next week or so.

"Overall we have done well away from home. There have maybe been too many draws and even at Newcastle we could have done better. It is disappointing to concede in the 93rd minute.

"They [Villa] have got quality. They have [Christian] Beneteke, [Gabriel] Agbonlahor, even (Darren) Bent on the bench. If you look at their results, especially at home, they are OK."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_sweat_on_enoh_injury_for_aston_villa_trip_1_2014991

WhiteJC

Lambert wary of Berbatov threat

Paul Lambert says Aston Villa will need to keep a special eye on Dimitar Berbatov as they aim to continue their climb up the table when they host Fulham on Saturday.

Berbatov has been one of the Premier League's players of the season since leaving Manchester United in the summer and is likely to represent the visitors' main threat at Villa Park.

"He has had a fantastic career," Lambert said of the former Bulgaria forward. "He's an international player and a fantastic footballer. His record speaks for itself.

"He makes things happen. You have to pay attention to him but they have a good team and probably don't get the recognition they deserve. They're a very good side."

Lambert thinks Villa were hard done by when losing 1-0 at Craven Cottage in October.

"We played well at Craven Cottage and lost to a goal near the end, but Fulham are a good side," he said. "We would want the crowd to be the same as they have been and to get right behind us. They have always been there behind us to be fair. Saturday is a pressure game and the stadium will be bouncing again."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1408871?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Martin Jol aware of Aston Villa threat

Fulham manager Martin Jol has insisted that he will not be taking Aston Villa lightly when his side face them at Villa Park on Saturday.

The Cottagers currently occupy 10th place in the Premier League table, but they are eight points ahead of the relegation zone with eight games of the season remaining.

Paul Lambert's Villa have eased their relegation fears over the last month, winning three of their last four games to move out of the bottom three, and Jol believes that the Midlands outfit will provide tough opposition.

"If you see Villa's results, they have got quality," Jol told Sky Sports News. "They have got Christian Benteke, Andreas Weimann, Gabriel Agbonlahor, even Darren Bent on the bench.

"People keep telling me that they are young but I think they changed their system as well. They've had some fantastic results - if you think about Liverpool away from home a couple of months ago, for example.

"They've had some disappointing results, too, because it's a tough league but I still feel that if you look at their results, especially at home, they're okay. I think they are in the same situation as a lot of other clubs - if they pick up the points in the next couple of weeks, they will be fine."

Fulham ran out 1-0 winners when they last played Villa in October.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/jol-aware-of-villa-threat_78976.html

WhiteJC

Mesca's New Deal

Highly-rated Fulham winger Buomesca Tue Na Bangna has signed a new three-year contract, with the option of a further year, with the Club.

The 19-year-old, who arrived at the Cottage in August 2011 after two terms on the books of Chelsea, told the official website: "I don't know what to say – I'm very happy. I've been waiting for this and it's a great moment for me. I can't stop smiling. Fulham have been very good to me, I've made a lot of friends and there are good people here."

Known around the Club as Mesca, the starlet impressed for the First Team in last summer's pre-season campaign – including notching his first goal for the Club in the 4-0 victory over OGC Nice – but suffered a knee injury which ruled him out of action until the New Year.

However, he is now fighting fit and was delighted to be rewarded with the new deal which will keep him in SW6 until at least June 2016.

"I feel much better, I feel fit," he stated. "It was very frustrating to be injured. I'm a young player and I was involved with the First Team in pre-season and had done well, but then picked up this injury. But everything is good now."

Martin Jol is a big fan of the skilful wideman and included him in his matchday squad which travelled to Newcastle United last weekend.

"I went with the squad to Newcastle which was a good experience for me," said Mesca, who was born in Guinea-Bissau and has represented Portugal at youth level. "I didn't get on the bench but hopefully I will in the future.

"It's nice to hear that the Manager rates me. I think he likes the way I play but I need to keep working hard and trying to impress him. He's given me a lot of confidence.

"I'd love to play before the end of the season but we will have to see. If I'm given the opportunity I will take it. I'm ready if the Manager wants me."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/new-deal?

WhiteJC

Bees boss pays tribute to Fulham frontman

UWE Rosler praised Marcello Trotta after the youngster got back amongst the goals in Brentford's vital 2-0 victory at Crewe last night.

The on-loan Fulham frontman came off the bench to score a stunning volley – his first strike for the Bees since February and only seventh all season.

Trotta had fired blanks in his past seven outings, but rediscovered his shooting boots at Gresty Road as the visitors boosted their automatic promotion hopes.

And Rosler has paid tribute to the young Italian's persistence.

He said: "Young players go through spells like this sometimes.

"Marcello had been playing at a very high level and had played most of the games for us.

"He's not used to playing that intensity. Marcello's looked very good in training and showed the right attitude. I always believed in him."

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/allsport/2013/04/11/109642-33157409/?

WhiteJC

Keep calm and hang onto Berba

GettyImages
Dimitar Berbatov: Without his strikes Fulham would be 12 points worse off

When Mladen Petric scored two goals and set up another in an opening day 5-0 victory over Norwich, it seemed, right away, as if Fulham had found an instant replacement in the goalscoring department for the Tottenham-bound Clint Dempsey. Then, less than two weeks later on transfer deadline day, the purchase of Dimitar Berbatov seemed rather unusual, though there was of course no doubting the Bulgarian's credentials and potential to improve the Cottagers. Berbatov is now a key cog in Martin Jol's Fulham machine and, as WhoScored.com's statistics tell us, when Berbatov performs, results mirror his efforts.

Berbatov has always been a rather controversial figure. He is not your typical footballer, though he certainly has the arrogance that is often associated with players of the game. He sulked at Tottenham until he was allowed to leave for Manchester United and he has been also pictured smoking a cigarette, also retorting critics of his low-intensity playing style with an incredible show of that arrogance: "If someone has great qualities, they don't need effort".

His most recent outburst came after scoring against Southampton, when he revealed a shirt with the message "keep calm and pass me the ball". In a country where fans laud strikers who track back to help out defensively and show a desire to earn their place in the team, it is an indictment of Berbatov's quality that he has been so successful here.

In his latest career move, he has been reunited with Jol and to great effect. Berba was an instant hit, scoring twice in the 3-0 win over West Brom in early September, before scoring three and setting up three more in his next five appearances as Fulham found themselves eighth in the table after 11 games. At that stage they were most certainly looking up the table, with fans hopeful of continental qualification and another foray into the Europa League, the competition in which they had such an impressive run to the final only three years ago. At that point in the season, Fulham had only lost three times - two of which came in comeback defeats to the Manchester clubs - and only Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez, Marouane Fellaini and Juan Mata had directly contributed to more Premier League goals than Berbatov (8), who had played fewer games than any of those above him in the rankings.

Then Berbatov hit a drought. And Fulham hit a rough patch.

In seven matches between November 11th and Christmas Day, Fulham scored only four times, winning only once and losing five times. Berbatov played every minute, yet managed not a single goal or assist. By the time Christmas rolled around, Fuham were 13th in the league and only five points off the relegation zone. At the start of that run of games, Bryan Ruiz was injured, and Berbatov was forced into playing a more withdrawn 'number 10' role, which would arguably suit his gameplay more. However, in the five games that Berbatov has started in an attacking midfield role behind a lone striker, Fulham have won none and scored only two goals. That might well say more about Mladen Petric's inefficiency in front of goal, as well as the importance of Bryan Ruiz in creating the Cottagers' chances, but more than anything, it shows that Berbatov is needed as their frontman.

Ruiz returned around the turn of the year and so did Berbatov's goalscoring touch. He netted on New Year's Day in a Man of the Match performance in an impressive win at West Brom, which was at the time only their third home loss in the league all season. Confidence was building again and Berba and Ruiz were finding their feet once more.

The Bulgarian netted the first in a 3-1 win over West Ham to begin a run in which he has scored six goals in his last seven outings, including the only goal in wins at home to Stoke and at Tottenham. Fulham's improved form when Berbatov scores has continued. In fact, in 2013, Martin Jol's side have only lost three Premier League games, two of which came against the Manchester clubs (and Berbatov missed the United loss). Meanwhile, since the turn of the year, only Christian Benteke (10), Luis Suarez (9) and Gareth Bale (8) have scored more goals in England's top flight than Berbatov.

The latter two are likely to go head-to-head for the player of the year award, while Benteke is certainly up there for many people's signing of the season, with his goals looking likely to keep Aston Villa in the Premier League. Given Fulham's lofty position in the top half of the table, few would place as much importance on Berbatov's goals.

However, without his strikes Fulham would be 12 points worse off and therefore in the relegation zone above only QPR and Reading. When Berbatov has scored for Fulham, they have never lost, winning six times and drawing four. In fact, even when Berbatov sets up a goal, his side do not lose, with Fulham picking up two draws and a win in those games he has provided assists. All of this can be seen on his WhoScored match history page.

Dimitar Berbatov is widely regarded as good enough to play for one of the Premier League's bigger clubs. While Sir Alex Ferguson deemed him surplus to requirements at Old Trafford, he was expected to become the main man at Fulham and he is now just that. It is pleasing to see a player of his ilk enjoying playing regularly and not happy to be a bit-part player at England's biggest club. If he can keep up his rich vein of form, Fulham should manage a top-half finish. Hopefully they can build on that for next season and hang on to their number 9 for at least another year. All they need to do, is keep calm and pass him the ball.

All statistics courtesy of WhoScored.com, where you can find yet more stats, including live in-game data and unique player and team ratings.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/1178?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

An Interview With A Fulham Fan

Crucial game at the weekend again, then again aren't they all with where we sit in the league! So it's over to Vital Fulham I go.

With thanks to Andrew and Putney!

1) What are you now expecting from the season following your start?

In one word, consolidation!

Back in the summer transfer window it felt as if we`d been asset stripped when Spurs purchased Dembele and Dempsey. Having also waved goodbye to Murphy and Etuhu we were looking a little light in the middle of the park and there were fears we`d be involved in a relegation struggle. But we`ve ploughed on and we`re now looking to pick up some more points, to ensure that we finish amongst the top half of the mid-table pack!

2) What are the highlights and lowlights from the season so far?

Lowlights - I`d say losing Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey before the season had even kicked-off, gut-wrenching!

As for a highlight, can things get any better for a club like ours than signing the brilliant Dimitar Berbatov? Every time he plays he does something that brings a smile to your face, a class act!

3) How do you feel your club did in the transfer window?

In the summer window, we hit the jackpot signing Berbatov, after losing Dempsey and Dembele it felt as if we`d won the lottery jackpot only days after believing we had the winning numbers (in Dembele and Dempsey) but had forgotten to buy a ticket!

As for the January transfer window, I think we panicked! We brought in four players and only one, Emanuelson, has actually featured with any regularity. The others, including the highly rated Frimpong, have more-or-less made up the squad numbers.

4) Who has turned out to be your signing of the summer?

Obviously Dimitar Berbatov ranks at the very top but I`d also like to mention Sascha Riether, a full-back who we`ve taken on loan from the Bundesliga. He`s been consistent and reliable and if we don`t make his loan permanent at the end of the season then something is seriously wrong!

5) Who is going to be your main dangerman when we play?

Dimitar Berbatov, capable of the unexpected, the unusual and the sublime.

6) What are your weaknesses, any clues for the game will be appreciated :-)

Generally, I`d say our away form. We`re poor travelers and struggle to pick up many victories on the road.

7) Will you have anyone out who would otherwise play?

One person who will be missing is somebody you may be familiar with. Steve Sidwell, Who I believe wore your colours, is serving the second game of a three game ban; he`ll be missed in the centre of our midfield.

Now with a slightly more Claret and Blue angle...

8) Have Villa performed how you expected in the first half of the season, and do you see us continuing to improve or are we going to drop down the table again?

When Paul Lambert took over, I thought he`d take you up the table. But it`s been a hard season and only, just recently, have you looked like staying up. I reckon Reading and Queens Park Rangers are doomed but you`ll be safe.

9) Do you have any thoughts on Paul Lambert?

I was puzzled why he left Norwich after doing so well. Perhaps he perceived Villa as a bigger club. If so, he needs to start showing he`s the man for the long term future. I can`t believe your board would be happy for a repeat of this season, next season.

10) What have you made of our youth promotions last/this season, anybody caught the eye for you?

Some might say you`ve over-relied on youth. It`s great to see youngsters being brought through but is there an inherent danger of their progress being hampered if you`re struggling in the Premier League?

As for someone who has impressed me, I`ll go for that lad Lowton who scored that screamer against Stoke (my favourites for that third relegation spot) last weekend.

11) Who has stood out most from our summer signings for you?

Christian Benteke - a class act who I think you just might struggle to hold onto in the summer.

12) If you could take one of our players, who would it be and why?

Christian Benteke! Could you imagine him alongside Dimitar Berbatov?

(MF - No, and I won't thank you very much!)

13) Who do you see as our main threat in the game?

It`s that man again, Benteke. His power pace and finishing could see us returning home empty-handed, something we`re used to on our travels.

14) Where would you say our current weaknesses are in terms of how you will approach the match?

Perhaps we could take advantage of your fragile confidence on your home patch. Liverpool beat you on it last time out and if we can get off to a solid start we may be in with a chance. Mind you we had a solid start at Newcastle last time out, 90 minutes of solid start, until Papiss Cisse undone us in stoppage time!

15) Finally, a prediction please kind person...

I`d like to suggest a Fulham win but I reckon it`ll be a draw, 1-1!

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7514908#ixzz2QE49RywY

WhiteJC

U21s 1-0 Boro

Cauley Woodrow scored the only goal of the game to hand Kit Symons' side all three points on Thursday evening.

The Whites took the lead after just 12 minutes, with the talented striker (pictured) latching on to Sean Kavanagh's lofted pass and finishing confidently.

Fulham had chances to further their lead with both Ryan Williams and Mesca creating opportunities from out wide, and Danish youth international Lasse Vigen Christensen pulling the strings from the middle of the park.

Omri Altman and Woodrow both went close, while Ronny Minkwitz tried his luck from distance with visiting Connor Ripley the busier of the two goalkeepers.

Altman also tested the Boro goal in the second half as Fulham looked to add a second. However, as the half wore on, the visitors began to push Symons' side back with Josh Passley and Jack Grimmer making two key interceptions.

The Whites held firm, and as a result, leapfrogged Middlesbrough to move up to third in Group One of the Barclays Under-21 Premier League table.

"It wasn't our best performance," said Symons to fulhamfc.com. "To be honest it was a bit of a scrappy encounter. We got an early goal and probably should have added to that following a few good opportunities in the first half.

"We didn't pass the ball as well as we should in the second half, and at times Boro put us under pressure. We'll go away and work on a few things, but at the end of the day, a win is a win.

"But these boys have enjoyed a good run of form of late, and have set very high standards. Nine of the starting 11 were part of the Under-19 squad that won the Dallas Cup, so it's a young group – and one that is learning and developing every day.

"Games like this are all part of that process, and hopefully we'll address a few of my concerns and be ready for the next match. I have to say, though, that it was very pleasing to keep a clean sheet and the boys at the back were very resilient tonight.

"Cauley took his goal well too, and it came from a move that we had been working on in training so that was good to see."

Fulham U21s: Bettinelli; Passley, Grimmer, Arthurworrey, Kavanagh; R Williams (David 60), Minkwitz (Banya 72), Vigen Christensen, Mesca; Altman, Woodrow (Islamovic 45)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/11/u21s-10-boro?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Aston Villa v Fulham

Mid-table finish for Fulham

"Fulham finished ninth in Martin Jol's first season in charge at Craven Cottage and they are going to be there or thereabouts at the end of this campaign too. They had a sticky spell either side of Christmas when they looked like they might be sucked into trouble but they are absolutely safe now, which is a decent achievement at a club with limited resources.

"Jol has had another good season and he is clearly a very good manager, particularly at identifying talent - he is putting his own imprint on that team. They are solid and in Dimitar Berbatov they have a player with an X-Factor too."

Villa's performance in their win over Stoke last week was the best I have seen them play all season.

They have had some other good results this season, like winning at Anfield in December, but on that occasion they were good for an hour but were battered for 20 minutes or so when Liverpool should have scored.

On Saturday, I thought they were good over the entire 90 minutes and looked very composed defensively. They had all the answers and played very well.

Villa will not find it easy against a Fulham side who are deservedly well clear of relegation trouble but Paul Lambert's players will be full of confidence, not just because they won but because of the way they played.

Fulham have shown recently that they are a good side on the road, not just at Craven Cottage, but they are still without the suspended Steve Sidwell on Saturday. They will miss him because he is exactly the sort of player they need at Villa Park.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22087052

WhiteJC

Villa v Fulham: In-form Agbonlahor "at the top of his game"
Paul Lambert hails in-form Gabby Agbonlahor.

Paul Lambert believes Villa have a player "at the top of his game" in striker Gabby Agbonlahor.

Agbonlahor goes in to Saturday's clash against Fulham on the brink of breaking Dwight Yorke's club record of 60 Premier League goals.

The 26-year-old endured a lean spell in front of goal in the second half of last season and in the first half of the current campaign.

But he has been back to his best recently with three goals in his last four games.

Lambert reckons Agbonlahor is relishing his current role in a four-pronged Villa attack.

"There's no doubt he's at the top of his game," said the manager.

"His goalscoring at the minute has been excellent and I know he's equalled Dwight Yorke's goal tally.

"Given time he'll surpass it because he's playing really, really well. I think he enjoys that role where he's playing."

Lambert insists there are still few players in the top flight who could outrun Agbonlahor.

The Erdington-born ace has always been known for his devastating pace and Lambert says "you need to be the Road Runner to catch him".

"I've not seen anybody out run him," he said.

"I haven't seen anybody beat him in a race. He's only mid-20s.

"He's a strong, powerful boy as well. His strength is very good. When he gets going and gets motoring he is definitely a handful.

"He'll make mistakes like everybody else, but his form since I've been here has been really high.

"You won't catch him. When he goes on a run I think you need to be the Road Runner to catch him with the speed that he's got.

"When he's on a run there's not many people can catch him.

"When you have a player with pace coming at you and he keeps coming at you then you know you could be in for a hard time.

"The first time I saw it for us was up at Newcastle when he came on as a sub after his knee injury and he ran through the middle of the pitch in the second half."

Lambert also believes Agbonlahor's special affinity with Villa is an important quality.

He hopes the academy graduate will go on to become a one-club man like AC Milan legend Paolo Maldini and Manchester United's Ryan Giggs.

"It's a unique thing that, a guy staying at a club for that length of time," the boss added.

"I don't know who was the last one to do that - Maldini maybe at Milan, Stevie Gerrard at Liverpool, Ryan Giggs at Manchester United.

"There's not who many stay at a football club for the length of time that those guys have.

"Gabby's only in his mid-twenties so he's still got a lot of football left in him and a lot of time to try to do well.

"It's a good thing if you can get that type of player."

Snap up match tickets for our clash with Fulham.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3140918,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham legend signs off

GettyImages
'Diddy' David Hamilton will leave a lasting legacy at Fulham

It comes to all of us at some point. The trick is not to outstay your welcome, but to bow out at the top. Consummate showbiz professional that he is, Fulham's matchday compere 'Diddy' David Hamilton feels it's time for him to hang up his microphone come the end of the season.

Next Wednesday's derby with Chelsea provides David with a fixture he relishes more than most, as his final few appearances before the dug outs herald the end of the road. This particular matchday tradition however was inaugurated with an altogether more humble backdrop in December 1996. And I was there to see it.

"I grew up in very modest surroundings, a damp shabby block of flats by Putney Bridge tube station. As a small boy I was conscious of the matchday buzz in the late 1940's as huge crowds swarmed over the bridge and through Bishop's Park on their way to the Cottage. In 1949 Fulham had gained promotion to the first division. Trouble was, the first game I was taken to by my father was actually at Chelsea! But they had a greyhound track around the pitch, I didn't much care for the atmosphere or the view.

My parent's marriage was breaking up and my Chelsea following father moved out to Wimbledon. The man my mother then took up with, though from Liverpool, used to take me to Fulham (I was then 9) and I just fell in love with the place. Standing on the old open riverside terrace staring at the gable end atop the main stand above halfway, well, it to me remains just such a magical vision to this day. I'd had a very narrow escape, but Fulham was the team for me."

I quote the above from David's must-read book, A Fulhamish Tale, 165 pages of unadulterated joy for followers of our club. In the book, David mentions, as if there were already latent forces suggesting the teenage Hamilton's future career path, "some intangible showbiz aura" surrounding the club. On the pitch of course, though top flight status had been lost in 1952, Fulham were a growing force with a reputation for style, panache, characters and goals as the 50's progressed.

What youngster's enthusiasm would not have been fired by the presence of Haynes, Robson, Jezzard, Leggat, Langley, Macedo and Cohen?

David's career in the limelight has made him a household name, having hosted some 12,000 hours of radio and appearances on countless television shows. He was of course one of the regular DJ's on Top of the Pops at the very height of his game, and also heavily involved in organising the Showbiz XI celebrity football team, being no mean little right-winger himself. Get hold of the book and you will see for yourself how Diddy's love for all things Fulham has never diminished in more than 60 years devotion to the badge (he even served for a while on the board of directors).

"Show business allows you a wonderful lifestyle and affords you splendid opportunities to meet people. I don't run the Roller anymore, nor bump into Miss World that often or get to broadcast on Radio One, but of all the things I have achieved, matchday announcer at the Cottage in the al Fayed era has given me as much joy and satisfaction as anything. And I certainly don't do it for the money!"

So how did it come to pass?

"In hindsight, although we dared not quite believe it at the time, 1996 was the turning point in the club's fortunes under Mickey Adams. With zero expectations, major concerns over security of the ground and no money to build, we actually had the makings of a decent side, the one that would see us gain promotion from the bottom tier. Prior to that, there was little effort really being put into anything done either before kick-off or at half-time over the P.A. – the mood of the place was just too depressing.

Announcements were still traditionally made from a disembodied voice stuck up on the Cottage balcony. Calling a 'goal' from that distance if scored at the Hammersmith End could be problematic! The directors approached me and asked if I would put myself out onto the pitch at the interval, supervise some kick-in competitions, and give the crowd a bit more of the 'big match atmosphere'. Why not, I thought – at least thanks to Mickey we actually started having something positive to shout about again!"

When I asked him, David could not quite recall when he first began using the "It's Showtime" shout-out in the build-up to kick off, but do buy his book and gain all the inside knowledge yourself.

"Will I miss it?" He gives me that twinkling smile that belies his 74 years. "It is my decision to go now, and I made that decision a year ago. Yes, of course I will miss it initially, as you do whenever a radio station lets you go or something comes to an end. But I'll still get my Fulham fix and be down at the games whenever I can, don't worry about that."

I query the lack of scandal or juicy gossip within the book. For a very short period while the club were playing at Loftus Road an overzealous marketing 'initiative' inside the club's commercial department unceremoniously dumped David for someone with a 'younger image'. An error the club chairman quickly corrected when he was alerted to the howls of protest.

From an industry notorious for back-biting and scurrilous talk, Hamilton knows to keep his guard up. "Well, there have been people along the way I didn't always see eye to eye with – inside the club too, of course. Maybe you'll have to wait for volume II for more on that!"

The Chelsea game on Wednesday 17th will be David's final match in charge of proceedings with the 'old enemy', his very last Fulham game as club announcer and matchday host is v Liverpool on Sunday May 12th.

He will be a tough act to follow.                                                                                   

Twitter@fulhamphil

David Hamilton – "A Fulhamish Tale"

Ashwater Press £15.95 and post free within UK

http://home.btconnect.com/ASHWATERPRESS/davidhamiltonbook.htm

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/884?&cc=5739

Stefano Okaka Chuka

I am gutted he is leaving, I really love his voice and his "it's showtime" is part of the matchday experience...
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Roberty

He is going to be more difficult to replace that any of the players
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

WhiteJC

Fulham boss reveals Aston Villa secret

MARTIN Jol knows this weekend's opponents better than most – having watched Aston Villa lift the European Cup in Rotterdam in 1982.

The Fulham manager was playing for Villa's arch rivals West Brom at the time but went along to the final in his native Holland and watched from the stands.

It was a brave thing to do given his Baggies connection but Jol kept a low profile as he saw his old club Bayern Munich defeated 1-0 by the English side.

He said: "I went to the final against Bayern Munich in Rotterdam. I was at West Brom, so I kept a low profile. I was there and saw Aston Villa win the European Cup. It's a big club, probably the number one club in Birmingham.

"I kept my head down with a cap on. They didn't recognise me and I was a player then so maybe it was not that easy for them. I was at the back as well. I bought a ticket because Rotterdam was near my hometown. It was a good experience."

Fast forward more than 30 years and Villa are a far-cry from their European conquering days in the 80s.

Paul Lambert's team are fighting for their lives in the top-flight ahead of this weekend's visit of Jol's Fulham.

Fulham are still looking to extinguish any lingering relegation fears this season and the Whites boss says it will be a clash of youth and experience at Villa Park.

He added: "Maybe the philosophy has changed there and they want to play with young players. They will develop and be better and better. We've probably got the oldest squad in the Premier League and it's still not easy. We've got experience.

"I always liked Aston Villa.  It's a tough league. If you stay up then you do well. Unfortunately with Fulham they look at us with different eyes. They probably think that we're a top 10 club, so we have to be in the top 10."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/04/12/82029-33157594/?#ixzz2QGcZsX5L

WhiteJC

Brede Targets Villa

Brede Hangeland is out to put a dent in Aston Villa's fight for survival when Fulham head to Villa Park on Saturday (3pm).

Three wins in their last four Barclays Premier League games have seen Villa move out of the relegation places to 16th in the table – two points clear of safety.

But, after Fulham saw a five-game unbeaten run come to an end at Newcastle United last weekend, Hangeland is looking to help the Whites get back on track against Paul Lambert's side.

"Every game in this league is tough but Villa are desperate for the points as they're trying to avoid relegation," he told the official website. "They've come into a bit of form lately so they will be hoping for that to continue. But we want to win as well and, up until the Newcastle game, we'd been getting some good results. So if we can get back to the form we've shown this year, then we have to be in with a shout."

Despite Villa's struggles, Belgian striker Christian Benteke has hit 15 league goals for the Midlands outfit this season. And while he's a player Hangeland admits the Whites will have to be wary of, the skipper insists Fulham won't be making any special plans for the forward.

"He's a good player and he's scored the majority of their goals this season," said Hangeland, who recently signed a new contract to stay in SW6. "But we don't make special plans as such, as every team in this league has an abundance of talent who all require equal attention. We'll just try and play our game and let them deal with us."

Last weekend, Papiss Cisse's stoppage-time strike earned Newcastle all three points at home to Fulham after the Whites had seemingly held on for a draw.

Hangeland admitted the defeat was tough to take but is keen not to dwell on the loss at St James' Park.

"It's the worst way to lose a game," he said. "We thought we'd done enough to get a draw so to lose it with virtually the last kick was tough. We'd defended pretty well – they'd had quite a few chances but it didn't look like it would be their day.

"So to lose in the manner we did certainly hurts but we have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and forget about it now as we look ahead to the Aston Villa game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/12/brede-targets-villa?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder could join absent trio for Aston Villa clash

Fulham midfielder Eyong Enoh will undergo a late fitnesstest ahead of tomorrow's Premier League game at Aston Villa after injuring his ankle against Newcastle last weekend.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol is already without midfielders Steve Sidwell (suspension), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Mahamadou Diarra (knee).

Dejagah will undergo ankle ligament surgery next week, joining Diarra on the sidelines for the remainder of the season.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Somogyi, Etheridge, Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Baird, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Frimpong, Davies, Richardson, Frei, Mesca, Enoh, Berbatov, Duff, Ruiz, Emanuelson, Rodallega.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_midfielder_could_join_absent_trio_for_aston_villa_clash_1_2015849

WhiteJC

Csaba's Clean Sheet

Csaba Somogyi kept a clean sheet as Dartford drew 0-0 with Braintree Town in Kent on Thursday evening.

The Blue Square Bet Premier clash was something of a dead rubber, with both sides safe from relegation and without the possibility of reaching the Play-Offs, so it perhaps came as little surprise that the match was low on intensity.

Braintree were the better side in the opening 45 minutes as they saw a shot blocked and a header cleared off the line, although the Darts improved after the break and went close when Charlie Sheringham hit the post with a long-range effort.

The result leaves Dartford in eighth position, with three games remaining of the season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/12/csabas-clean-sheet?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa v Fulham

By Jonathan Pearce
BBC Match of the Day commentator
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Villa Park Date: Saturday, 13 April

Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark is back in training and hopes to be available after missing the last two matches with a shoulder injury.

Jordan Bowery could keep his place on the right side of Villa's attack after earning praise from manager Paul Lambert for his display against Stoke.

Fulham midfielder Eyong Enoh is a doubt with an ankle injury he suffered against Newcastle last weekend.

Steve Sidwell is suspended, and Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) is out for the season.

MATCH PREVIEW

For Villa fans it must be just like that scene from The Great Escape film. Steve McQueen is nearly there. The Swiss Alps are just across the barbed-wire fence. The motorbike is revved. "Jump it this time! Get there!" We've all shouted it. It never happens.

Villa are so close to safety they can almost smell the pound notes of next season's big TV handout. After four league wins in seven games, they mustn't let the momentum drift now.

It's an astonishing turnaround. They'd won just four of their previous 35 league games and looked doomed last month.
Their young players were shell-shocked, stumbling wrecks. Now they're full of confidence and goals.

Christian Benteke has 10 in his last 11 games in all competitions and needs just one for 20 this season. But Gabby Agbonlahor and Andreas Weimann also deserve credit.

Agbonlahor will create a club record with his next and 61st Premier League strike for Villa. Weimann is now fulfilling his potential and netted the last-minute winner in this fixture last season to make it 13 home games unbeaten against the Cottagers over 40 years.

But another victory here is far from certain. Fulham deserved something at Newcastle last weekend and if Dimitar Berbatov is in the mood, that inexperienced Villa defence could concede for the 17th league game running - a Premier League record for this season.

The Bulgarian has netted 33 goals in his last 44 league starts and five in his last five. He tends to fade in the second half though, especially away from home, and if Villa can hold him early on then another precious victory can be theirs.

It's been another highly creditable season for Martin Jol. But they must finish strongly. Otherwise a poor last few weeks could linger on to become an ominous start to next season. His veteran squad, which has an average age of just under 30, needs rejuvenating in the summer.

In the meantime Berbatov seems to be a man on a mission. He could yet threaten Villa's improved escape chance. Don't forget Steve McQueen was on a clear home run...

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last 13 home games against Fulham in the league, spanning 40 years since the London club won 3-2 in the old Division Two on 3 March 1973.

Fulham did, however, knock Villa out of the FA Cup fourth round in 1999 with a 2-0 away win.

Aston Villa
Villa have won three of their last four league matches, and four of the last seven.

However, only QPR have a worse home record than Paul Lambert's side, who average a point per game at Villa Park.

They have conceded in each of their last 16 league games, equalling the longest top-flight run without a clean sheet this season (first set by Everton).

The next goal they concede will establish an unwanted club record of 60 goals against in a Premier League season.

Villa have conceded more goals after half time (40) than any other club.

Gabby Agbonlahor needs one goal to eclipse Dwight Yorke's club record of 60 in the Premier League.

Christian Benteke has scored 10 goals in his last 12 league appearances. He is two goals away from equalling Yorke's club record Premier League tally of 17 in a single season.

Fulham
Fulham's stoppage-time defeat at Newcastle last Sunday brought their five-match unbeaten run to an end.

The Cottagers have won only 10 of their last 72 Premier League away games.

They would be fifth if matches ended at half-time. Aston Villa would be sixth.

Martin Jol's side have only recouped four points (all draws) from losing positions this season - the worst record in the division.

Fulham's goalframe has been hit 18 times this season, more than any other Premier League team.

Dimitar Berbatov has scored five goals in his last five Premier League appearances. Ten of his 13 goals for Fulham have come before half-time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22049631?

WhiteJC

U18s Take On Bolton

Fulham's Under-18s will look to strengthen their position at the top of the Barclays Under-18 Premier League Elite Group on Saturday with Bolton Wanderers making the trip to Motspur Park (11am).

Steve Wigley's side returned to the summit following last weekend's 4-2 defeat of Southampton, with George Williams (pictured) scoring a hat-trick and Moussa Dembele adding the other.

It was a return to winning ways for the Whites domestically, following two straight defeats in the league against Reading and Manchester United.

Opponents Bolton are currently enjoying a decent run, and enter the game on the back of two consecutive victories – a 2-1 defeat of Crystal Palace and a 1-0 win against Southampton. The Trotters' game against Fulham will be their first league match since the end of March.

In the reverse encounter, Fulham claimed a comprehensive 4-1 victory, with Solomon Sambou, Muamer Tankovic, Patrick Roberts and Jordan Evans on target. Bolton's Under-18s, who reached the Quarter-Finals of the FA Youth Cup this season, are overseen by former Wanderers favourite David Lee.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/12/u18-v-bolton?