News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MARK SCHWARZER dropped a clear hint he would not be signing a new deal at Craven

Started by Riverside, April 15, 2013, 11:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

who do you think will be our number 1 goalkeeper next year ?

Schwarzer
11 (15.9%)
Stockdale
14 (20.3%)
Begovic
9 (13%)
Stekelenburg
11 (15.9%)
A.N Other
24 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

jmh

I don't see anything of the sort (i.e. "a clear hint he would not be signing a new deal") in Schwarzer's quote.  What I see is a continued statement that he wants to be first choice so he can play in Brazil next summer, and will leave Fulham if he needs to in order to be first choice, which we already knew to be the case.

Ruiz11

It looks like Schwarzer will not sign a new deal and will leave in similar circumstances to AJ, Danny Murphy and Gera before those two.

However, Jol doesn't seem to trust Stockdale as number one judging by comments made in the past. Stockdale will probably move to Hull permanently, where he is more likely to play regular first team football. However, I doubt we are a big enough name to compete in the race to sign Begovic, and would be worried that Stekelenburg cannot get into a very average Roma side. A new keeper beckons.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: IranianCottager on April 15, 2013, 03:24:11 PM
How do you guys rate some of the goalkeepers of teams likely to relegate and will surely look for new clubs?
Cesar, Federici, McCarthy, Al Habsi, Mignolet are all possible candidates.
Out of the lot only Mignolet would be of interest and could be within our budget.

Danitar

Mignolet for me but what about schmeichel he's playing well and he's young

yannickm27

Come on you whites !

filham

Schwarzer has been magnificent in recent matches and it is dificult to see why we can't  settle on him for another season and if Hull buy Stockdale bring in a good number 2 who in a season could develop into a number 1.

jmh

Quote from: Danitar on April 15, 2013, 09:03:13 PM
He's 26, barely younger than Stockdale.

Danitar

Quote from: jmh on April 15, 2013, 10:01:05 PM

But who would you rather have schmeichel whose played every minute for his club or stockdale whose hardly played. Stockdale hasn't exactly been mr safe hands this season has he

FFC_17

Stekelenburg won't come to Fulham. He was only a candidate because he was on the bench at Roma under Zeman. Zeman has been sacked and since then Stekelenburg has been first choice. He has indicated he no longer wants to leave.

Reports in Holland keep linking us to FC Twente's Nikolay Mihaylov, who was at Liverpool earlier. He should be available relatively cheap, because his contract runs out next season. Mihaylov is a fairly good keeper, athletic, talented, but also a little error prone and he's injured quite a lot. Would be a huge gamble if you ask me.

I think we should give Stockdale a chance. He has done reasonable when called upon and is impressing at Hull. He deserves it. Maybe we could keep Schwarzer as a number two or sign another experienced back-up in case Stockdale doesnt improve.

jmh

Quote from: Danitar on April 15, 2013, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: jmh on April 15, 2013, 10:01:05 PM

But who would you rather have schmeichel whose played every minute for his club or stockdale whose hardly played. Stockdale hasn't exactly been mr safe hands this season has he
What do you mean "hardly played"?  Stockdale has been the starter for Hull basically the entire time he's been there (i.e. at the same level as Schmeichel is currently playing).

SmithyFFC

Quote from: HatterDon on April 15, 2013, 05:16:02 PM
Once again, the Friends of Fulham logic train is chugging along the tracks with Stockdale.

Moving from relatively extended periods in two seasons replacing Schwarzer that included [if my memory serves] three MOtM selections and Fulham Player of the Month, the logic train concluded that what he needed was more time in the Championship playing regularly. Now that he is playing regularly for a club that's promotion-bound [and the upgrade he brought them is significant], the logic train holds that this success is proof that he's not good enough for Fulham. Instead, the Friends of Fulham logic train prefers either:

Schwarzer -- despite his visibly deteriorating skills -- or
Keepers who are about to be relegated from the Prem -- or
Keepers who have never played in England -- or
Keepers from the Championship who are not playing as well or as successfully as Stockdale.

By the end of next season, Stockdale will be starting for a Premier League club and, most likely, be second choice to Joe Hart for England. I REALLLLLY hope he's doing that for us and will be for the following 8-10 seasons. Sadly, those of us who like that idea are in the minority here, and can't find  even a place to stand on the FofF Logic Train.

Probably one of the most sensible things I've seen on this forum in a long time, 100% agree
FTID

FulhamElite

I think if we don't back Stockdale he will think he's wasted the last 4-5 years of his life. We can't keep asking him to be No 2. I say give him until January as well and if he's too inconsistent then look at someone else.

Luffy86

It's gotta be Stockdale for me! He's definitely improved in quality and from what I've seen of him in the past he deserves his chance!! People can talk about his mistakes, but tell me a keeper that has never made a mistake!? In general he is a top, English keeper!

TonyGilroy

If Stockdale's as good as some posters think you have to wonder why Jol hasn't pencilled him in as our first choice for the next 10 years.

If Jol thinks that we need better then you have to at least consider that there's a fairly high probability that he's right.

SaltfordWhite

I can't wait for this debate to be over once and for all.  Whether Schwarzer goes, Stockdale gets a chance or whatever the outcome is.

It's ridiculous, full of utter hyperbole, invention and most of all it's dull.  Really, really dull.

RaySmith

I'd like to stay with Schwarz as number 1, and Stockdale as number2 next season - I think Mark is still a top keeper, as seen by his recent displays - how many points has he saved us this season?

I don't think Stockdale will stay if he is no.2 though - probably sign for Hull, and, with Jol looking for another keeper - who probably won't want to be no.2 - then it seems Mark might leave too.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if Jol can't get anyone, and Mark is still  no. 1 next season - and I would be happy with this.

Riverside

General conclusion coming out from this one is that as a Forum we have no consensus idea or who will be goalkeeper next year !!

Stockdale slightly ahead of Schwarzer but even more thinking A.N Other !!