watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Mike Denness

Started by Peabody, April 22, 2013, 03:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

For those of you who like a bit of cricket. Mike Denness passed away last week. Whilst he never won much as England captain, he was the first Scotsman to captain England and was a good batsman as well.

jarv

As I recall, the theory was, there were better batsmen around but tactically he was an excellent captain and had good leadership skills. Always sad when a sportsman from our day goes.

MJG

Quote from: jarv on April 22, 2013, 03:55:57 PM
As I recall, the theory was, there were better batsmen around but tactically he was an excellent captain and had good leadership skills. Always sad when a sportsman from our day goes.
same as Mike Brearley when he was captain.
The most skillful XI in cricket(and football) does not always make the best team.You need that leadership and fight.

ron

Sad. A fond memory I have of him was watching his innings of 188 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground when we won the 6th test of the 74/75 series by an innings and some, having been hammered in the previous 5 . Walker and Dymock replaced the unavailable Lillee and Thomson, which made the difference!
I was working in the airlines at that time with Pan Am at Heathrow, and free tickets were fairly easy to come by. Great Times.

Denness was a flash bloke. A newspaper report before the tour started showed him with the 24 suits he was about to pack for the tour (I have to say I haven't owned 24 suits in my life!).

RIP Mike, thanks for the entertainment and the memories.

Travers Barney

We are the whites

HatterDon

I remember him well. I thought he was a fine player.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel