watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

10 games for suarez

Started by Zu-Meister, April 24, 2013, 03:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zu-Meister

nice boost for us. another thing for liverpool fans to be indignant about.

Jimpav

That's fantastic news. Liverpool have already released a statement saying they are shocked and disappointed. Shocked? Really?!

Hopefully we will play them within the first 6 games of next season as well.

Tempest

Classless by LFC once again, shocked and surprised by severity of the ban. Just hold your hands up and take the punishment. Genuinely an awful club these days.
Live in Falmouth!

FFC1987

I think it's an unjustifed ban personally. Far too lengthy considering what pitiful bans given for racism and serious bodily injury bans (punches, head butts and career threatening two footed challenges). Yes it shows what a horrible human being Suarez is and the ban might reflect his reputation but I can't get over the fact you get 10 matches for banning someone and barely anything for racially abusing someone. I'd like some consistency, if it means the next ban for racism/head butts etc are given far greater bans than so be it. However I'm very happy he won't be playing against us.

MJG

Well its a pretty unique thing he did (in English football, apart from Defoe has it happened before?) and pretty disgusting as well.
Also to compare it with the racism ban is to think that there is a set rule for length of bans, well not in cases that go to a tribunal. Also I remember that some thought that the ban he got last time was too short. So i dont think you can compare one with the other.

Also he's a scumbag and deserves everything that gets thrown at him.

beijing ben

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 24, 2013, 03:44:12 PM
I think it's an unjustifed ban personally. Far too lengthy considering what pitiful bans given for racism and serious bodily injury bans (punches, head butts and career threatening two footed challenges). Yes it shows what a horrible human being Suarez is and the ban might reflect his reputation but I can't get over the fact you get 10 matches for banning someone and barely anything for racially abusing someone. I'd like some consistency, if it means the next ban for racism/head butts etc are given far greater bans than so be it. However I'm very happy he won't be playing against us.

You beat me to it FFC1987. I completely agree. I can't believe that this has got a longer ban than his racism. The only way the FA could defend it is by saying that they considered his past misdemeanours in this ban and that is why it is longer. I'm not saying 10 games isn't right for this incident but the ban for racism should have been much worse. In fact, if he had any other job i'm sure he would have been instantly sacked..

God The Mechanic

Anything less than the ban he got in Holland would have shown the FA up, wouldn't surprise me if that had a part in the length of the ban.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: beijing ben on April 24, 2013, 04:05:16 PM

You beat me to it FFC1987. I completely agree. I can't believe that this has got a longer ban than his racism. The only way the FA could defend it is by saying that they considered his past misdemeanours in this ban and that is why it is longer. I'm not saying 10 games isn't right for this incident but the ban for racism should have been much worse. In fact, if he had any other job i'm sure he would have been instantly sacked..

The guy would have been sacked about 5 times over if he wasn't a footballer.

FFC1987

I was comparing because I think you have to. What would I rather see abolished from the game racism or a biting? I think Racism (if not both). The point here is, if we give 10 match ban to Suarez then a 4 match ban for a player calling a player an (insert racist unpleasantry), you can clearly see that there is a preferance agenda. Nothing against the FA etc just that I want to see consistency rather a than a few old charlatans pretending that they want rid of these things and just stuck in a rut allowing it to happen with barely any accountability. Defoe didn't get 10 games did he? Regardless if we try to keep these incidents separate you will always get comparsions just like politics and thats human nature. As for the set rules, there should and have to be, otherwise its open to prejudice. Even if the guy is a scumbag and deserves this (which he does) there should be criteria befalling judgements which spread equally across the board fitting the crime just like our justice system.

beijing ben

Quote from: God The Mechanic on April 24, 2013, 04:06:38 PM
Quote from: beijing ben on April 24, 2013, 04:05:16 PM

The guy would have been sacked about 5 times over if he wasn't a footballer.

Exactly! (Say in a kids Liverpool accent)..

LordNelson

That's not an argument that Suarez's punishment doesn't fit the crime--a repeat biter, and known diver & cheater who previously received a 7 GAME BAN for biting and an 8 game ban for racial comments.  It's argument that Racists should receive a more just punishment.

Looks like he's a race baiter and a wanna be zombie.  He got off light.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

FFC1987

Quote from: LordNelson on April 24, 2013, 04:23:17 PM

That's not an argument that Suarez's punishment doesn't fit the crime--a repeat biter, and known diver & cheater who previously received a 7 GAME BAN.  It's argument that Racists should receive a more just punishment.

That was my point Lord Nelson. Fair bans for all. No preferences for offence. If we want it out of the game, act seriously about it.

BarryP

I am not sure that 10 matches is enough for assault.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

DiegoFulham

Suarez ban for racial abuse - 7 games + 1 game ban for directing the finger to us

Joey Barton 11 game ban for - Punching, Headbutting and Kicking

Suarez ban 10 games - for biting

can anyone tell me where the consistency is, i'm not defending suarez but how can someone who racially abuses someone only get 7 game ban whereas if he bites someone he gets a 10 match ban, excluding all the stuff Joey Barton did on the final day of the season.
@DiegoFulham follow for a follow back

Joe McDonald

football has long since lost it's moral compass.  money will over-ride everything.

Logicalman

Quote from: DiegoFulham on April 24, 2013, 04:36:31 PM
Suarez ban for racial abuse - 7 games + 1 game ban for directing the finger to us

can anyone tell me where the consistency is, i'm not defending suarez but how can someone who racially abuses someone only get 7 game ban whereas if he bites someone he gets a 10 match ban, excluding all the stuff Joey Barton did on the final day of the season.

I sympathise with the view here, and those that went before in this thread, but who does a ban really hurt?

The player? Perhaps if he doesn't get paid, though, after his club provided a paltry fine I would guess to fail to pay him might be seen as taking two bites of the same cherry.
The Club? Perhaps more likely, depending on the usefulness of the player (if this was Spearing in comnparison, then the impact would be less)
The Fans? Just as likely, as they go to see their team do well and the start players perform.

Overall, I would prefer, not only for the player to be sanctioned, but it should also equate to a points loss for the club, as that is all they worry about, because position = money, and money is what football is all about these days.

Comparing what punishment is metered out for what offence, biting vs racism, is a little unfair on the surface, because the injury and victim affect needs to be taken into account, and, without demeaning the importance of getting racism out of all sports, I would rather be upset by being racially abused than be unable to play due to an physical injury suffered due to an assault. Just mho.

westcliff white

Quote from: DiegoFulham on April 24, 2013, 04:36:31 PM

I think going forward you will see a lot stiffer bans for racial abuse if it happens again and is proven that is
Every day is a Fulham day

Bassey the warrior

Liverpool will appeal though, so he'll definitely play the next game. Hopefully the appeal process won't take long and he'll be banned for our game.
Pleased to see the FA have some b***s, hopefully they won't reduce it on appeal.

The Bronsons

Deciding which of two offences is "worse" is purely subjective, whether it's in football or in real life. Is being mugged "worse" in itself than being burgled? - there is no objective way to decide.

So the only consistency you can hope for is in how you treat the same offence, and how you increase the penalty for repeat offenders. Suarez was banned for seven matches the last time he did this. Now he's got a ten-match ban, for a repeat offence. Sounds pretty consistent to me.

Bassey the warrior

Having thought about it again I realize my earlier comment about him playing this weekend is wrong. He will definitely serve at least 3 games suspension. Phew.