https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (27/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 27, 2013, 04:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Urby Emanuelson open to Fulham return and enjoying London life

Urby Emanuelson: On-loan AC Milan defender enjoying time with Fulham

Urby Emanuelson is looking forward to impressing in Fulham's last four games of the season and admits he is enjoying life in London.

The AC Milan defender has put in some consistent displays in recent weeks and has not ruled out a return to Craven Cottage, even though boss Martin Jol expects him to return to Italy to continue his career.

Emanuelson hopes to continue his run in the first-team against Everton on Saturday and take his momentum through to the summer, when a decision about his long-term future will be made.

"I am enjoying it here. London is a nice city and Fulham is a great football club - it is very warm, everybody is positive, everyone has helped me a lot," Emanuelson said.

"Now I am finding my way, I am starting the matches so I am happy here and hopefully I can go on in the last four games of the season.

"I would like to get a goal and end the season on a good note and then we will see what happens in the summer. I just want to perform well and show everyone at Fulham my qualities.

"It is good to play here and it is a nice team. Also, the stadium and the fans are fantastic, so I just want to show them my quality.

"After two defeats we really want to get a good result, but we know Everton are a strong team and still hoping to get into Europe. Our team is very positive because we played well against Arsenal and now it is time to get a good result again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8673447/?

WhiteJC

PSV defender Stanislav Manolev hopes to make loan move to Fulham permanent

Stanislav Manolev: On-loan Fulham defender would be happy to extend stay

PSV Eindhoven defender Stanislav Manolev hopes to make his loan move to Fulham permanent this summer.

The Bulgaria international has made just four appearances for the Cottagers since joining in January due to the recent form of fellow full back Sascha Riether.

The 27-year-old has remained positive with Fulham, who have the option to make his deal permanent in the summer, and he would relish the opportunity to remain at Craven Cottage.

"I'm really enjoying it - this is the best competition in the world," Manolev told the Fulham Chronicle.

"I like London too, so of course I would like to stay, but it depends on the clubs.

"I still have one more year left at PSV, so the clubs have to talk."

The 27-year-old, whose natural position is right-back, has played on the wing for Fulham in recent weeks.

Manolev insists he's happy to play anywhere on the pitch and has complete confidence in manager Martin Jol's decisions.

"It's important to play, it doesn't matter where," he added. "The coach makes the decision where he's going to use me, so I don't have any problems."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8673431/?

WhiteJC

Emanuelson targets strong finish
On-loan defender Urby Emanuelson intends to make the most of Fulham's final four games of the Premier League season.

Urby Emanuelson: Wants a strong finish to the season

The AC Milan player has slowly produced some consistent displays for the Cottagers following his January transfer, to force his way into Martin Jol's starting XI.

With Fulham now safe from relegation ahead of Saturday's trip to Everton, Dutchman Emanuelson, 26, hopes to continue to enjoy a run in the team before a decision is made on his long-term future.

"I am enjoying it here. London is a nice city and Fulham is a great football club - it is very warm, everybody is positive, everyone has helped me a lot," Emanuelson said on the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com.

"Now I am finding my way, I am starting the matches so I am happy here and hopefully I can go on in the last four games of the season.

"I would like to get a goal and end the season on a good note and then we will see what happens in the summer.

"I just want to perform well and show everyone at Fulham my qualities.

"It is good to play here and it is a nice team. Also, the stadium and the fans are fantastic, so I just want to show them my quality."

Fulham have never won at Everton since their return to the top flight in 2001.

Jol's men were unfortunate to lose 1-0 at home to Arsenal last weekend, having played most of the match with only 10 men following the sending off of midfielder Steve Sidwell.

Emanuelson is hoping for some improved fortune this weekend.

"After two defeats we really want to get a good result, but we know Everton are a strong team and still hoping to get into Europe.

"Our team is very positive because we played well against Arsenal and now it is time to get a good result again."Jol would like to retain Emanuelson, but suspects the defender will be keen to return to Italy with some valuable match experience.

"Urby is on loan here and is one of the few players whom we have not talked about the future, because I know it won't be easy to get a player like him," said Jol, who will be without Sidwell for the rest of the season because of a four-match suspension.

"He wanted to play, that was his first priority, it was not to go to another club, because AC Milan is a fantastic club for him.

"He wants to go back and then try to get into their team."

Jol knows his side will face a stern test at Goodison Park as David Moyes' men look to recover from last weekend's disappointing defeat at Sunderland.

"Everton are a very consistent team and, of course, rely on the big players. Marouane Fellaini, for example, if he is there they have got a little something extra," said Jol, who could have winger Damien Duff back from a thigh injury.

"Of course they have got that style with these full-backs, being very compact and very organised, so I feel that they have had a season that is more consistent than before probably."

Jol added: "Everton are always in the top eight - the top seven sometimes - but now they are getting stronger and stronger.

"I think that Everton could end up in the top five - they were even in contention to be in the top four."

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/8673478/-?

WhiteJC

Last Available Game

With our final home match of the 2012/13 season against Liverpool already sold out, there's only one more home match available. Make sure you cheer on the Whites one last time before the summer.

Fulham v Reading - Sat 4th May (3pm)
Join us for our Official Charity Match for the season in association with Shooting Star CHASE, the Club's Official Charity Partner.

There will be a number of free activities for supporters to get involved in throughout the day, including the return of our popular Family Fun Day in Bishops Park from 11am.

We've got plenty going on, including the EA Sports DUGOUT, a five-a-side inflatable pitch, Kicking Distance Monitor, and the Chipperoo. You can find out more about what we have planned here.

Tickets can be purchased online today or by visiting or calling the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (option 1).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/26/last-available-game?

WhiteJC

Premier League team news: Everton v Fulham

Fulham are likely to have winger Damien Duff back in the squad for their trip to Everton. Photo: PA

Everton manager David Moyes is hopeful defender Phil Jagielka and midfielder Darron Gibson will be fit for the visit of Fulham.

Jagielka missed last weekend's defeat at Sunderland after aggravating an ankle problem while Gibson was substituted at half-time, although Moyes said his injury was not related to his long-term thigh problem.

Forward Victor Anichebe should be fit after complaining of a tight hamstring last week.

Fulham expect to have winger Damien Duff back from a thigh injury for Saturday's trip to Everton.

Steve Sidwell begins the first of a four-match ban following his red card against Arsenal last weekend, while fellow midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong will be available having missed out against his parent club.

Defender Sascha Riether (ankle) is doubtful. Midfielders Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Simon Davies (hip) are sidelined.

Everton team news to follow.

Provisional squads

Everton: Howard, Baines, Jagielka, Heitinga, Distin, Coleman, Gibson, Osman, Pienaar, Fellaini, Mirallas, Anichebe, Mucha, Neville, Duffy, Oviedo, Barkley, Jelavic, Naismith.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Richardson, Hangeland, Senderos, Manolev, Emanuelson, Frei, Kacaniklic, Petric, Enoh, Ruiz, Berbatov, Frimpong, Duff, Etheridge, Riise, Karagounis, Rodallega, Hughes.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-04-26/premier-league-team-news-everton-v-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Redmond Link

Newspaper speculation has Fulham showing an interest in a talented teenager.

The teenager in question is the nineteen year-old Birmingham City winger Nathan Redmond

However, the same newspaper speculation infers that we have competition for his signature with West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City also showing a keen interest.

We`ll issue a follow up if and when anything concrete materializes.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=317613#ixzz2RdAPdTD4

WhiteJC

Stekelenburg - Just Speculation?

Several news sources have implied that Martin Jol has identified the AS Roma keeper, Maarten Stekelenburg, as a major summer transfer rtarget.

However, if that is the case, then it appears to be news to Stekelenburg`s agent, Rob Jansen, who commenting on any impending move has rather bluntly remarked,

"There are no negotiations."

So could it all be a case of tabloid speculation?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=317615#ixzz2RdAawfTo

WhiteJC

Fulham leading Arsenal in hunt to sign Aston Villa defender Matthew Lowton

FULHAM are fending off the challenge of Arsenal in the race to sign Aston Villa defender Matthew Lowton.

Matthew Lowton is attracting the attentions of Fulham and Arsenal

The 23-year-old is being watched by Craven Cottage scouts and boss Martin Jol is understood to be keen to bring him to Craven Cottage.

Villa are embroiled in a relegation battle but Lowton has showed enough pedigree to suggest his future lies in the Premier League.

Arsenal are also interested in Lowton - who will cost around £5million - but it appears that the lure of first-team football at Fulham puts Jol in pole position to sign him.

Lowton signed for Villa from Sheffield United in July and has made 34 Premier League appearance this season.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/395025/Fulham-leading-Arsenal-in-hunt-to-sign-Aston-Villa-defender-Matthew-Lowton?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29

WhiteJC

Everton v Fulham: The Always Dreaded Trip to Merseyside

It seems like beating a dead horse recalling Fulham's record when traveling to Merseyside.  Overcoming that record is their next step in their quest to secure a finish as high in the table as possible, and generate as much revenue for the summer window as possible.  The Goodison faithful are having a fantastic season, one that unfortunately may seal David Moyes future away from Everton after his enviable work making the Toffees consistent contenders for the top 7 and even now pushing for top 4.

It will be a battle for table position this time around, with both teams looking to improve on the 2-2 draw back at Craven Cottage in the reverse fixture from November.  It seems Everton's Champions League push this season is just a little too far out of reach, but nonetheless the effort was nothing but commendable, and means Moyes' bunch have finished top 7 all but 1 year dating back to the 2006/2007 season, that 1 was an 8th place finish.  Fulham are a step behind in terms of consistency, and are looking to secure top 10 for the 4th time in 5 years, although it's an uphill battle as the Whites are in 11th, 2 points behind Swansea and West Ham with 4 to play, and Swansea holding a game in hand.

State of Fulham:

The Whites have hit a real rough patch recently as this streaky season comes to a close.  That's not too shocking considering the tough schedule through April, but trips to Newcastle and Aston Villa netted just 1 total point, and Fulham couldn't even muster a single goal at the Cottage against Arsenal or Chelsea, losing a combined 4-0.  In fact, a Fulham player hasn't found the back of the net since the 3 against QPR back on April Fools Day, which put the Cottagers at 39 points and all but ruled out relegation, giving merit to those who question their motivation once survival was secure.

Don't expect the points to come flying out of Goodison Park, as Fulham's struggles there are well documented.  At some point they will buck the trend, but for now it's 0 league wins at Goodison since Fulham returned to the Premier League in 2001, and they've only grabbed 4 points from the 24 league fixtures ever played by the two sides at Everton's fortress.  4 points, that's at least a little promising, right? Nope. The last of those 4 points came way back in 1959; it's been a whole lot of nothin' since then.  The only two times Fulham have ever won at Goodison were in the FA Cup fifth round in 1948 and 1975.

Now that that's out of the way, we turn to the squad.  Obviously Steve Sidwell has put his feet up for the season, having been banned for 7 of the final 8 matches thanks to two consecutive straight reds.  Martin Jol had a discussion with the midfielder, saying it's his style but he can't continue to hurt the team with his actions.  Emmanuel Frimpong will return to the selection pool after sitting against his parent club Arsenal due to loan restrictions.  Damien Duff has also returned to full fitness, although Sascha Riether is still having ankle issues, so Stanislav Manolev will most likely continue filling in. As usual, Mahamadou Diarra, Ashkan Dejagah, and Simon Davies are all out the rest of the season and therefore will not make the trip.

State of Everton:

It's been a bit of a rough go for the Toffees recently as well.  They were in a fierce competition for the final Champions League spot or even fifth, something which in and of itself should be commended.  However just 1 point out of a crucial 0-0 draw with Arsenal and a subsequent loss to Sunderland has seen their prospects become quite faint.  Like Fulham, their defense has performed well as of late, but the goalscoring has dried up a bit.  There's been nothing in the net in the last 2, although they did get 4 total by QPR and Spurs.

Also in the back of every Everton fan's mind is their manager.  David Moyes has turned 50 this week, and has taken Everton to new heights with little funds relative to those just above them in the table.  It's not about fleeting success at Goodison, it's about a model of consistency with slow growth, something many Premier League clubs can be both envious of and look to emulate.  However, Moyes's contract is up at the end of this season, and there is much talk of his desire to move up a step.  There is no doubt that he would achieve major success with Everton eventually, with the club continuing to make strides, but how long that would take is anyone's guess.  If he desires more immediate success as he continues to age, the answer may lie outside Merseyside.  Much of that may depend on how Everton finish the season, giving these final four matches much more significance.  If they allow archrival Liverpool to catch them in the table down 5 with 4 to go, he may consider other options much more heavily, especially with Phil Neville already having said he'll do just that.

As far as their squad is concerned, Phil Jagielka (gash) and Darron Gibson (thigh strain) will both need to pass fitness tests in order to play, but Moyes says there is a chance that happens.  Tony Hibbert also could possibly play for the first time in a while, giving the Toffees the possibility of a full bill of health.

EA Sports Stats of the Match:

-Fulham have not recorded a win from a losing position all season, and just 5 points all year from losing positions, so the first goal will be crucial.

-Everton have only lost one of their last 21 Premier League matches at Goodison (2-1 vs Chelsea in December).

-Last year Fulham were 6 points and 2 places ahead of where they are now at the same time.

-Everton have lost just 6 matches all year – better than all but the two Manchester clubs.

-Kevin Mirrales has a 73% shot accuracy rate from 57 shots this season, highest in the Everton squad, according to the EA Sports Player Performance Index.

888sport.com Lines of the Match:

-Draw: 10/3
As you'll see in my prediction later, this isn't how I think the match will end up, but given that both clubs are struggling and the two teams drew in the reverse fixture, 10/3 odds are quite good for a pretty realistic result.

-Nikica Jelavic to score: 11/10 OR Nikica Jelavic first goalscorer: 5/1
I would be hesitant to tab the Croatian as the first goalscorer, as he's come off the bench in eight of Everton's last 11 matches. I like this pick though because Jelavic has 7 goals on the season, scored twice in this match last season at Goodison, and Everton has only scored 3 goals in the last 5 matches since Jelavic last made the starting lineup.  I'd think David Moyes would be tempted to include his name this time around, especially since the pressure of making the top 4 has now been relieved a bit.

Prediction:

As I said earlier, Fulham will buck the trend at some point.  However, it won't be tomorrow.  The squad is too weak and in poor form at the moment to provide much of a challenge.  The goalscoring is something of a mystery and Martin Jol has plenty of holes to fill in the summer.  I see a comfortable 2-0 win for Everton to keep their home form in tip top shape and move slightly closer to making a push for 5th.

Of note:

I appeared on the Everton blog The Gwladys Street Preacher to discuss Fulham's season and Everton's American exposure among other things ahead of the match.  Hope you enjoy!

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2013/04/26/everton-v-fulham-the-always-dreaded-return-to-merseyside/?

WhiteJC

Fulham U-21s 2-2 Sunderland U-21s

Fulham's young charges were denied a win in their final game of the Barclays U-21 Premier League season as they were held 2-2 by Sunderland at Craven Cottage on Friday night.

The Whites, unable to win the title and place in the Play-Offs that ended up in Everton's hands, can still finish second in the Group One table – with Aston Villa playing Everton on Monday – as an own goal and a Chris David penalty were pegged back by Ryan Noble's effort and a wonder strike in the last minute by Alex Gorrin.

Fulham started brightly and had a good chance early on as Chris David chipped the ball back in to Jack Grimmer after an Omri Altman free-kick had hit the wall. The cross was good, but Dino Islamovic strayed just offside as it arrived and the assistant's flag

Sunderland almost broke through after a flowing move ended with Alex Gorrin sneaking in from a tight angle, but goalkeeper Jesse Joronen did just enough to put him off when diving at his feet to force a corner.

Up the other end, Altman released Williams down the right and his cross found Islamovic in the box. The Sweden striker was surrounded by defenders but did well to chest the ball down and hammer in a shot that was deflected over the bar. The Altman/Williams combination was at it again a few minutes later, but Williams' shot was straight at Jordan Pickford in the Sunderland net.

Billy Knott forced a good save from Joronen as Sunderland continued to find their best attacks on the counter, but it was Fulham who had the better of the first half and they broke the deadlock on 18 minutes as a fine cross from Kavanagh was turned into his own net by defender Tom Beadling.

Fulham then had a great chance to double their lead after a great passing move between Kavanagh and Charles Banya ended with Altman being tripped as he burst into the box, but the Israeli's 21st minute penalty was turned around the post well by Pickford.

Hearts were in Fulham mouths just seconds later as a long heave up the pitch saw Ryan Noble beat Joronen to the ball just outside the box. The Finland goalkeeper escaped with a yellow card as he took out the striker just outside the box and the resulting free-kick was wasted by the opposition.

Sunderland wasted another couple of chances to go level before the half as Liam Marrs slotted a ball through to Noble who beat the offside trap, but saw his tame shot easily held by Joronen. Then Knott found himself through on goal again, only to fire well over the bar.

After the break, a wonderful crossfield effort found Kavanagh free again on the left but the ball in just evaded Islamovic before he could get his head to it. Then Fulham found themselves on the backfoot and a cross in found Noble in the box – the Sunderland striker turned and curled it over Joronen and into the net for a 62nd minute equaliser.

Sunderland piled on the pressure and Jordan Laidler fizzed a shot past the post from 25 yards; then it was Fulham's turn to get forward as Chris David then Jack Grimmer had shots blocked.

As the game entered the final 15 minutes, Fulham snatched the lead. A ball in from the corner was cleared high into the air and as Pickford raced out to chase it he clattered into Williams. David stepped up to place the penalty into the left corner and the Whites were in front again.

But they had Joronen to thank for keeping them there. A ball in found Mikael Mandron free in the area on 80 minutes and his header was tipped expertly onto the bar. Fulham held firm and Noble's shot was well held at the near post by Joronen. David had one more chance to add to the Fulham lead as his curled effort flew just wide, but there was nothing that the boys could do as Gorrin hammered an effort from 35 yards into the top corner to snatch a last-minute draw.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/26/u21sunderland?