watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Red Card Injustice

Started by filham, April 26, 2013, 07:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Now that we have had a few days to calm down from our unfortunate and unlucky defeat by Arsenal let us think about the awful effects and injustice of sendings off in football matches.

Surely we all pay to see a fair contest  between matched teams and while we all want to see our supported team win when the match is reduced to ten men against eleven we generally either have to accept a bitter defeat or a hollow victory.

The severity of the punisment is unbalanced and dependent on the time into the match when the offence occured. Look at the Arsenal game, we lost a player for over 8o minutes play , Arsenal lost a player for 5 minutes play for committing identical offences.

Should we not adopt a similar system to that used in Rugby and perhaps allow a sustitute after ten minutes of a player being sent off.
Remember Referees can make mistakes and it is not impossible for a player to be sent off in error.

Bassey the warrior

Never gonna happen so why bother getting worked up about it?

Burt

I think the ref should just nip over to the nearest TV, watch the umpteen Sky replays from every conceivable angle, and then a minute later make his decision.

Rupert

Quote from: Burt on April 26, 2013, 07:55:47 PM
I think the ref should just nip over to the nearest TV, watch the umpteen Sky replays from every conceivable angle, and then a minute later make his decision.

Which, in the case of both Sidwell dismissals, would be to still show a red card. Even as a diehard Fulham fan, I am struggling to see where we have faced any injustice over this. I would have sent him off both times. I did not join in the applause for him as he trudged off the pitch, either. Sidwell did not deserve our applause.

To the OP, you do, of course, have a point in that the dismissals had a greater effect on us as ours happened a lot earlier in the game, but that is not the problem of the referee or the rule makers, it is the fault of the idiot who lost his head and twice failed to keep on his feet. You need a tough enough sanction, otherwise anarchy could rule.
Imagine we brought in your idea of a sub being allowed after ten minutes of a red card. So, we are up against Chelski, for sake of arguement, and one of our lot is having a blinding game, whether it be Ruiz or Dejagah or whoever, so our illustrious opponents send their most expendable player in to take him out of the game. We lose our best payer and enjoy a mere ten minutes with one man advantage, after which Chelski bring on a £30 million substitute. Not very fair, is it?
The rules of the game have evolved over a long period, and they have lasted because, by and large, they work. One thing for sure at Everton tomorrow, all our players will have been told to not make two-footed lunges with studs showing. If they do, and another walks, it will not be injustice, just stupidity.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

bulgariawhite

TheDon

McBridefan1

well argued Rupie... 065.gif