watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham and discipline

Started by HatterDon, April 30, 2013, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

The last time I looked at the stats, Fulham were the 7th nicest bunch in the league based on paucity of  063.gif and  096.gig cards.

Interestingly, the player with the WORST record in the league in this category is none other than Steve Sidwell. Sad, really, because without his last two matches for us this season, he probably wouldn't be in the top 50.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

domprague

Maybe Martin told him to get flying in so that the team would have a summer holiday instead of reaching Europe through the Fair Play League.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Lighthouse

I really like the idea that we are not all nice and friendly and can get  067.gif stuck in.

We miss Steve Sidwell with our present set up and its a shame he felt he had to dive in to tackles.

There is a growing diving and pretending a foul has happened in our game and Fulham have become a small part of that. Far sadder to me than the odd booking and sending off. However we have non British players in our team, some who are new to the Prem. Players like Ehou seemed to be pulled up for non existant fouls while others seem to get away with much more.

I am confused about bookings and what deserves a sending off. I am not sure when our game became so hard to understand. So no wonder the players look confused.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

The players shouldn't be confused because it's the clubs role to explain what refs will and won't alow and referees themselves talk directly to club squads about this.

There's no doubt that tackles that were fine a few years ago now lead to sendings off but if players like Sidwell can't or won't adjust to the new regeime then they're no bloody use to us.

I absolutely agree that within the limits of what's allowable we need to be less friendly to the opposition. We can be a soft touch.

RaySmith

It must be difficult for players to be expected to be  in the face of the opposition, and to give their all - but on the other hand 'be careful and don't go in too hard'.

I agree that it has become a bit ridiculous - any tackle can be penalised these days, even the slightest contact - and is, much to the detriment of the  flow of the game; whereas, another player gets away with a definite foul.

If the game here had too much rough play before, now it's gone too much the other way. It all contributes to the increasing sanitisation of our football for a global tv audience.

Snibbo

Both of Sidwell's reds were for the type of tackle that refs are well known to punish these days. You can argue about whether they should or shouldn't, but any player with a bit of brain would know that he is at high risk of a red with tackles like that.

As Tony says, if he can't figure that out, then he's no use to us. He's probably cost us 3-6 points with those two stupid fouls.

M i c K Y x FFC

Its very strange with Sidwell, he is not normally a rash player, and times his challenges well. If we keep hold of Enoh, I think we need a more creative player than Sidwell, that person who can play that killer pass, like Murphy did.

Burt

I  067.gif like  067.gif this new smiley thingy.

Whilst I love Sidwell's commitment, I must admit I always wince when he is going in for a tackle. He is not a dirty player as such, but in making robust challenges there is a fine line between getting the timing right and fluffing your lines. As we have seen...

Berserker

I think out of all our players Sidwell has been the one for the last couple of years that looked like he might be sent off. I've always liked Sidwell but thought he was a Red waiting to happen.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Logicalman

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 01, 2013, 12:30:38 PM

The players shouldn't be confused because it's the clubs role to explain what refs will and won't alow and referees themselves talk directly to club squads about this.

There's no doubt that tackles that were fine a few years ago now lead to sendings off but if players like Sidwell can't or won't adjust to the new regeime then they're no bloody use to us.

I absolutely agree that within the limits of what's allowable we need to be less friendly to the opposition. We can be a soft touch.

:plus one: