watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This season's away form myth

Started by HammyH3, May 02, 2013, 12:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HammyH3

I keep reading on here and in the press about our continuing 'shocking away form' It is lazy journalism and a hangover from previous seasons.
So far this season we have amassed 16 points away from home, that is 11th best in the league, exactly where we are in the table. :clap_hands:

Lighthouse

Whatever the stats say we are shocking away from home. Yes we have had some good games. But on the whole we are dreadful with little intent to go forward. I remember Hughes tried to make us a more forward thinking side away from The Cottage. But other than that we have been very poor to watch away whatever the stats say.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rhyspabsolom

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 02, 2013, 12:11:38 AM
Whatever the stats say we are shocking away from home. Yes we have had some good games. But on the whole we are dreadful with little intent to go forward. I remember Hughes tried to make us a more forward thinking side away from The Cottage. But other than that we have been very poor to watch away whatever the stats say.

fp.gif

Like everyone else in the league is Bayern away from home.

Lighthouse

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on May 02, 2013, 12:15:19 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 02, 2013, 12:11:38 AM

fp.gif

Like everyone else in the league is Bayern away from home.

1500.gif Sorry I have no idea what this means. I wonder what the stats say about shots on target on average in our away games.

rhyspabsolom

The post was about why there's no reason to moan about away form and the first thing you do is moan about away form.

Few sides play well away from home. It's the whole reason you play twice.

Logicalman

Well, here are the stats for our Away form for the past few seasons

Season - L/D/W - pts
2006-07   11-7-1   10
2007-08   10-7-2   13
2008-09   8-8-3   17
2009-10   11-7-1   10
2010-11   7-9-3   18
2011-12   11-5-3   14

So, it appears that Woy did a pretty poor job in his second full season here, and Sparky was a genuine hero.

Seriously, we all moan about something, and stats can be made to say whatever you want, but our away form, over a period of 6 seasons, really hasn't changed that much, with up and downs each season like a bloody roller-coaster. Come to think of it, that's just like our want in supporting Fulham, how Fulhamish, eh?

Lighthouse

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on May 02, 2013, 12:49:45 AM
The post was about why there's no reason to moan about away form and the first thing you do is moan about away form.

Few sides play well away from home. It's the whole reason you play twice.

Oh I see sorry I missed the point. I don't agree with it and the way we play at QPR and Newcastle and Everton etc are worth moans. I really don't go along with the idea that few sides play and and have as few a shots as we do. Still if fans are happy with our form at Everton and QPR and all the other games we never turned up for then it really is down to what you want from Fulham. I just don't understand the 'no reason to moan'. So we just ignore it? Which are what the travelling fans ARE doing.

jarv

Many teams have poor away form (in terms of points collected). The changes that have taken place (all seater, moving game dates/times) have resulted in fewer travelling fans. (Add in the costs) The football authorities were complicit in the plan and hope of reducing away fans attendance to combat hooligans back in the 80s.

However, I am in the camp that I wish Fulham would try to make more of a game of it for entertainment value. Mind you, away Reading, Southampton and Newcastle, 5 dropped points in the last minute would have made the stats look excellent.

simplyfulham

Quote from: HammyH3 on May 02, 2013, 12:02:41 AM
I keep reading on here and in the press about our continuing 'shocking away form' It is lazy journalism and a hangover from previous seasons.
So far this season we have amassed 16 points away from home, that is 11th best in the league, exactly where we are in the table. :clap_hands:

:plus one:

Plus 1,000,0000

It's just dumb people who can't be assed to research facts who still claim our away form is bad. If Lighthouse wants to have a pop at the effort/mentality away from then fine. But we have begun picking up points which is a flipping good start if you ask me.

simplyfulham

N.B. on the away attendance debate.

What comes first? The performance/results or the attendance?

.. I don't know the answer but I'd be curious to know how Fulham stack up in away attendances in comparison to other prem clubs.

Burt

Thing is, we may be 11th in away form, but that may be against 16 or 17 other teams who are just as mediocre away from home.

I think over the course of a season:
- 3 or 4 wins away is not good enough, if we want to push on.
- Most teams view us as a 3 pointer when they host us.

The Equalizer

Quote from: simplyfulham on May 02, 2013, 06:29:34 PM
Quote from: HammyH3 on May 02, 2013, 12:02:41 AM

:plus one:

Plus 1,000,0000

It's just dumb people who can't be assed to research facts who still claim our away form is bad. If Lighthouse wants to have a pop at the effort/mentality away from then fine. But we have begun picking up points which is a flipping good start if you ask me.

Judging by our away results, I'd agree with them. 3 wins all season is poor. 3 wins all season away from home is the most we've had for years too.

The fact of the matter is that our away form is UTTERLY TERRIBLE.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

HammyH3

Get a grip. We have only lost 8 games away from home this season, only the top 7 teams in the league have lost less games away than us.

The Equalizer

I'm getting fed up of 'getting a grip'. Our away form is and has been shocking for years. 3 away wins out of 19 is poor form, no matter what kind of slant you put on it.

You tell me to get a grip, yet there are other people who are telling me that we're still doomed because we only have 40 points. Why have we only got 40 points?

Exactly.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Aaron

The statistics make much better reading than the views of a lot of us would lead you to believe, but it does have to be said we rarely look anything other than disorganised and frankly plain bad away from home..  Even if we do end up taking some points.

Looking forward to remedying that next season :)

Jack Fulham

The difference is that other teams with bad away form usually get relegated eventually. Our away form has been bad for 10+ years so the media notice it.

HatterDon

The latest in the continuing series: Stop Complaining! We're not the Only Club that Sucks.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

I did a post on this and gave some stats about it last year. We do have apoor away form but not as bad as its made out.
We are on avaerage have about the 13/14th best away form each season. But around the end of Colemans time and end of the Great Escape season it was dreadful. Thats where the view we are crap away really comes from.
We also tend to get away results in little groups of 2/3 games and then nothing for like 10 games. So we always seem to be on longs runs of failing to win.

I dont blame the press on their view because we as fans (who know are club better than any fleet street reporter)go on about it as well.
Its the performances away thats piss poor. You can almost call the result/performance before every game and for some reason it does not matter which manager we have its the same.

Everton next year...just play the U21's because 12 years of the first team have failed.

General

So our home form must be abysmal then...