News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol says the players don't need motivation at home ......

Started by Riverside, May 06, 2013, 07:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Well, what motivation can Jol give them - they are mature , highly paid pros players - and know  that Fulham's recent results are unacceptable to fans,and can also see the  perils of Fulham's postion re relegation.

I'm not sure what Jol can do to motivate then, apart from remind them of these facts, and the fact that their places at Fulham and as top players will be jeopordised by their poor performances. 

Do you mean by motivation that he should make a speech like Churchill, or Henry V at Agincourt? I suppose this helps in some cases.

I think Ferguson creates an 'us' and them 'them ' attitude amongst his team - after ensuring that he has the very best players available to play for him of course!

Berserker

I wonder if it is the shortism of the club this year that has come back to bite them in the bum. Loan signings, short term contracts, not renewing contracts promptly etc. Alot of the players are probably thinking why bother as i'm probably not going to be here next season, or they just feel agrieved. We don't know what goes on behind close doors at Fulham FC but alot of fans felt this shortism wasn't a good thing earlier in the season and could cause problems further down the line.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...if Jol doesn't think the players need motivation at home that must include away also - or does he have a special mantra for away games?

"Pass sideways a lot, slow the game down, pass to Berbatov whenever possible, but make sure it is right to his feet, and in attacking positions make sure you pass the ball back to our trainee centre back Mark Schwartzer, and defend deep to invite the opposition on to ultimately break down our defence - you know, what we do at home"
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cebu

HatterDon

Anyone who believes that it isn't a KEY responsibility of ANY boss to motivate and focus his subordinates should never be given the role of supervisor.

What Jol is actually doing, here, is deflecting any of the blame due to him on to the players -- something else no quality boss should ever do.

This reminds me so much of the last days of Sanchez. Jol's next step is to tell the press that the players are colluding to get him fired.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 06, 2013, 10:41:33 AM
I think we need to sack Jol and employ Al Pacino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_iKg7nutNY

Great stuff however,the downside is that we would see 11 Sidwells run onto the pitch & be down to 3 by half time!
Still we might get a point,backs to the wall (aka goal) in the second half & all that

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: HatterDon on May 06, 2013, 03:28:11 PM
Anyone who believes that it isn't a KEY responsibility of ANY boss to motivate and focus his subordinates should never be given the role of supervisor.

What Jol is actually doing, here, is deflecting any of the blame due to him on to the players -- something else no quality boss should ever do.

This reminds me so much of the last days of Sanchez. Jol's next step is to tell the press that the players are colluding to get him fired.

Bet Jol NEVER spouted "no need for me to motivate the team" @ his interview!

Enter the Frei

he doesn't say that really though, he's just saying what he thinks everyone wants to hear.

EJL

Clearly, Martin, the players do need motivation at home.

We've only lost more home games than that once since being in the Premier League. Funnily enough, we stayed up on goal difference that year.

RaySmith

If the players need motivating to give their all for Fulham , on the wages they're getting - home and away, then I don't think they should be playing for Fulham.

Count Berbatov

I only read the title, so I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. But are you f kidding me?! That's the manager's most important job. Home or away. What difference does it make.
Sir Alex is the master at that. I remember Berbatov commenting on that, saying SAF always knows what to say, how to talk to the players
Jol puzzles me from time to time. He's obviously a good manager and in fact, a good tactician. Even if his starting XI are not always the best, his subs are spot on and his formation changes on the fly always improve the play
I think he was simply defending himself and the players. Sir Alex does that all the time. Unlike J. Mourinho, who is the exact opposite...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

HatterDon

Quote from: RaySmith on May 06, 2013, 05:34:42 PM
If the players need motivating to give their all for Fulham , on the wages they're getting - home and away, then I don't think they should be playing for Fulham.

which always raises the question for me. At which salary does an individual no longer need motivation? At which level of average salary of his charges, does a boss no longer need to concern himself with keeping his subordinates motivated?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

alfie

That is a sort of yes and no thing, i manage staff who know what they are doing, they do not need me to motivate them, equally i do not need my boss to motivate me, if a highly professional footballer cannot get off his backside to do his job to the best of his ability without someone telling them to is a mystery to me. I wonder mr HD who motivates you in your band?
By the way this is not a personal attack on you, i just get so fed up with all this motivation stuff.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Count Berbatov

The difference though is, that yours is an everyday common job. We're talking about athletes and high performance

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

RaySmith

Exactly! Elite athetes are by their very nature highly competitive and self motivated, probably since a young age - just to make the grade in a profession where few manage to make it.

True motivation comes from within, even though affected by outer things  like threat or reward - which could be to gain approval- of manager, fans,etc, not just financial success. The desire for approval is a powerful inner drive that motivates athletes.

Winning top trophies is the ultimate  appproval, and  thus it must be fairly easy to motivate players in teams which have a chance of these things. Harder, i suppose in a team like Fulham - but there are  still goals to be aimed at, especially playing in the Prem. Just staying in the Prem is a major goal for many clubs.

yes, the manager has a major role to play - in organising in players into a successful team, and offering encouragement and creating confidence, and  also sanctions against those who don't give their all. Good results and success breed confidence, and thus motivation  because success seems achievable.

But fans expect highly paid player to always , at least, play at the best of their ability every game, and i think most players have an inner motivation to do this - though it isn't always apparent to fans that they are doing this, and this is a major  complaint of modern fans - 'they are not giving of their best - they don't care'.

But I would expect a modern player, with all the rewards of his profession, to generally be a highly motivated, competitive individual.

If a player doesn't have a basic motivation to do well and play at his best for  the team he is in, i don't think there is much a manager can do about it. If someone couldn't  care less, then i don't think there is much someone can do to motivate them.

Though, perhaps a manager might get in a sports psycholgist, or someone like that , to speak to the player concerned, if he feels that the player has a problem that is making him unmotivated.

But the reality in the modern game is, for most players - 'if you don't perform  you're out' - it's a results driven business for managers and players - a financially rewarding, but also very harsh and competitive environment, in which  strong inner motivation is needed to make the grade.

BarryP

I am a certified public accountant.  I have worked with highly motivated and highly successful businessmen for the better part of my life at this point and one thing I can tell you factually speaking is that even the most highly motivated and highly successful people I have worked with need and rely on someone to keep them focused on the job at hand from time to time and in particular when things are not going well. That is where a manager is needed otherwise you could just throw eleven well payed professionals on the pitch and be done with it.  Jol needs to insure that all these highly motivated professionals are all singing from the same hymn sheet and that is not as easy as it sounds when you are dealing with large egos. None-the-less he is the person responsible for seeing that it happens and last week I am not sure the squad were in the same song book much less the same song sheet.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

RaySmith

Jol is an experienced  and successful manager.

The team has suffer from injuries and suspension, just when Jol semed to have a settled team that was beginning to play well together - look at at home to Arsenal.

the team has a makeshift look about it a the moment, with all the loanees - but where would we be without these Jol loan signings with the injuries and suspension? On saturday we seemed  tense and unconfident compared to reading, and also without the  team cohesion of the settled team of a few weeks ago.

Of course, the manager  provides orgnisation and focus, but the basic inner motivation needs to be there in the first place, and i think top elite athletes must surely have this to get in that position in the first place.

QPR's players have been criticised for lacking motivation,just being there for the money and even Harry- the great motivator (motivation of players is always cited as his strength -'putting an arm round players'), couldn't motivate them- but I don't think that this accusation can be levelled at Fulham's players who  aren't getting silly money thrown at them, and , I think do want to do well for the club.