watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riise to quit

Started by Lighthouse, May 06, 2013, 12:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

OSLO (Reuters) - Fulham left back John Arne Riise, Norway's most-capped player, has called time on his international career at the age of 32.

OSLO (Reuters) - Fulham left back John Arne Riise, Norway's most-capped player, has called time on his international career at the age of 32.

"After a lot of thought I've decided not to continue with international football," he said in a Norwegian FA statement on Monday.

"I am going into the final stage of my career and I'm at an age where I have to take a clear decision if I want to achieve my final goal, to play another four or five years in Europe."

The former Liverpool, AS Roma and Monaco defender has won a total of 110 caps since making his debut against Iceland in 2000.

Riise, a Champions League winner with Liverpool eight years ago, is in his second season with English Premier League club Fulham.

"John Arne has shown great enthusiasm and was always the first man at training and player meetings. I respect his decision and wish to thank him for his contribution," said Norway coach Egil Olsen.

Norwegian FA president Yngve Hallen also praised Riise's efforts for the national team.

"John Arne has had a fantastic history in international football. He has been a decisive player in many matches. His contribution on the pitch has been formidable," said Hallen.

Norway are fourth in World Cup Group E qualifying, four points behind leaders Switzerland and two adrift of Iceland and Albania with five matches to go.

(Reporting by Philip O'Connor in Stockholm, editing by Tony Jimenez)

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Berserker

That's a naughty title Mr Lighthouse  :005:
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

jarv

He wants to play more years in Europe.....maybe he will just about be good enough for the Norwegian league. If not there is always Luxembourg. Does San marino have it's own league.???

Admin

One typical player that hasn't help our cause this season. Came to us at the end of his career when he was past his sell by date and never had any better options. I personally wouldn't have signed Riise due to that fact that we wasn't good enough the first time around. Since joining he's been lazy and not to particualy bothered about Fulham.

mangoputney

Riise to quit.... kicking players shins instead of just waking up and clearing the fricking ball
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Matt Inglis

Hopefully he will quit our team too. I have to say he is the man I want gone most from our first team squad.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

Danitar

Quote from: Matt Inglis on May 06, 2013, 02:24:35 PM
Hopefully he will quit our team too. I have to say he is the man I want gone most from our first team squad.

+1

PaulJ123

Harsh to say he hasnt been good...last season he had a cracking run of form near the end of the season.

Saying that, he's been utterly dreadful this season and would love to see him move on.

Buffalo76

Quote from: Admin on May 06, 2013, 12:50:32 PM
One typical player that hasn't help our cause this season. Came to us at the end of his career when he was past his sell by date and never had any better options. I personally wouldn't have signed Riise due to that fact that we wasn't good enough the first time around. Since joining he's been lazy and not to particualy bothered about Fulham.

Waste of time now. Need to get a replacement over the summer.

EJL

Burt

He is not the most attacking left back going... The difference between him and Riether has been noticeable.

ron

Quote from: jarv on May 06, 2013, 12:44:17 PM
He wants to play more years in Europe.....maybe he will just about be good enough for the Norwegian league. If not there is always Luxembourg. Does San marino have it's own league.???

perhaps some mountain air will do him good....Andorra perhaps?

JackyFulham90

Have to admit I'm not impressed with Riise he is so slow, move him on this summer

Stefano Okaka Chuka

He was okish in his first season, but now he's just dead wood...If, and it's a massive if, Richardson is fit I'll play him anyday of the week instead of the norwegian.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Matt Inglis

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on May 06, 2013, 10:02:34 PM
He was okish in his first season, but now he's just dead wood...If, and it's a massive if, Richardson is fit I'll play him anyday of the week instead of the norwegian.
...and the massive question is, why didn't Jol agree come team selection for Saturday.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

EJL

Overall I think Riise has been a failure. He was average for the first half of last season; in scintillating form for the second, and he's been awful this campaign. So the club has got roughly five good months out of someone who reportedly cost around the £1.5 million mark.

Hmmm