News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Guillem Balague says Fernando Amorebieta to Fulham is a DONE DEAL.

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, May 07, 2013, 08:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

For those that don't know, Guillem is a Spanish football reporter for Sky Sports with all kinds of inside scoops with his many contacts. We should take this as confirmed.

"Fulham have agreed a deal for the 28-year-old defender that will see him arrive at Craven Cottage on a free this summer, and if he can overcome his disciplinary issues, Amorebieta could be an excellent signing.
Those who claim that attacking players like Lionel Messi get an easy ride in the Spanish first division have perhaps never seen Fernando Amorebieta play, with the Athletic Bilbao defender notorious for taking no prisoners on the pitch.

The Venezuelan international but Spanish born centre back's disciplinary record has been the main blemish on his time at Bilbao, and the eleven red cards he has received whilst at the Basque club have been part of the reason why a big move has not materialised for Amorebieta, who has been linked with Arsenal and Liverpool in the past.

In the end Fulham are the club that have taken the risk of bringing Amorebieta to the Premier League, and if he can keep his rash side in check, there is no doubt that the Venezuelan is an accomplished centre back.

The 28 year old was a key part of the Athletic Bilbao side that reached the Spanish Cup and Europa League final under Marco Bielsa last season, particularly impressing in their fantastic win over Manchester United.

With Brede Hangeland recently agreeing a new two year deal, Fulham's back line is looking in fine fettle for next season, and Amorebieta brings an element of class on the ball to go alongside his sterner side.

Comfortable carrying the ball forward on playing long passes, and excellent in the air, Amorebieta has all the attributes required to be a real success for Martin Jol's side next season.
However the worry will always be that he will end up missing 5-10 games through suspension, especially as he looks to settle in a new division. Amorebieta is no doubt aware of his disciplinary record, and perhaps this move might spark a new, more restrained approach. If he does rein himself in, Amorebieta could well be a superb addition to Fulham's ranks. "

grandad

I just hope he & Sidwell don´t feature in the same side. We will end up with 9 players after 15 minutes.
Where there's a will there's a wife

jarv

I was thinking the same. We should be good at playing with 10 men now.

Danitar

To be fair to the lad, Spanish football is a lot easier to get cards you can't touch someone without getting a card. This move to premiership could be the making of him and he gives us that steel we've needed at the back which we've needed.

F(f)CUK

If you want to see differences then you should watch a re-run of the Big Match from 1979. Chelsea vs Liverpool. Ron Harris playing as No.9 kicked a Liverpool player without the ball and the Stamford Bridge crowd were astonished that he was booked. Brian Moore's commentary was brilliantly understated.

Jack Fulham

A left footed centre half. Looks like Hangeland will switch to the right and Senderos will drop to the bench. Accident waiting to happen replaced by red card waiting to happen :54:

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Well, refs in la liga are much more happy to whistle for fouls compared to those in the premier league, so he should be fine. Excellent transfer, especially considering it is on a free...
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

ScalleysDad

I like the line about a back four in fine fettle. I must have missed that one.

Rhys Lightning 63

A South American (where they don't play defence) defender, used to playing in Spain (where they don't play defence)?

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

YankeeJim

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 07, 2013, 10:14:05 PM
A left footed centre half. Looks like Hangeland will switch to the right and Senderos will drop to the bench. Accident waiting to happen replaced by red card waiting to happen :54:

Not directing this at you Jack but "being Fulhamish" is alive and well.   fp.gif
If you expect the worst, the worst will happen.

Come on people, this year has been bad ONLY because it started so brightly. Otherwise it would have been business as usual. Settle left back, make Senderos the spot starter he naturally is and a bit of pace and Europa here we come. That, or get that check book that made Red Nose the legendary gaffer he is.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 07, 2013, 11:42:29 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 07, 2013, 10:14:05 PM

Not directing this at you Jack but "being Fulhamish" is alive and well.   fp.gif
If you expect the worst, the worst will happen.

Come on people, this year has been bad ONLY because it started so brightly. Otherwise it would have been business as usual. Settle left back, make Senderos the spot starter he naturally is and a bit of pace and Europa here we come. That, or get that check book that made Red Nose the legendary gaffer he is.

haha, my comment was firmly tongue in cheek. Having said that, I reckon Rodallega is a goal waiting to happen...

CanadianCottager

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on May 07, 2013, 10:40:51 PM
A South American (where they don't play defence) defender, used to playing in Spain (where they don't play defence)?

A Venezuelan (who are the most defensive team in South America barring Paraguay) who's played his entire career with Athletic Bilbao, the most English of Spanish teams. Sounds fine by me.

Enter the Frei

barring the disciplinary issues he's had he is a very good defender. Lovely signing if we've picked him up on a free IMO and a definite improvement on what we already have. I really don't get why some people get so negative about a signing we make.

SmithyFFC

So this guys definitley left footed? Anyone else HATE the idea of Hangeland playing on the right side of centre?
FTID

cottage expat

Quote from: Danitar on May 07, 2013, 09:54:54 PM
To be fair to the lad, Spanish football is a lot easier to get cards you can't touch someone without getting a card. This move to premiership could be the making of him and he gives us that steel we've needed at the back which we've needed.

+1. He should fit right into the PL.

HatterDon

I'll take it as official when I see it on the official site.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on May 08, 2013, 12:13:14 AM
So this guys definitley left footed? Anyone else HATE the idea of Hangeland playing on the right side of centre?
No, for 6 years I have been saying he would be better as a right sided CB, but of course H & H as a team have been good no need to change it to now.

Cravenawin

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on May 08, 2013, 12:13:14 AM
Not at all. Brede is naturally right footed so no problem.

EJL

I think Amorebieta plays on the right side of the defence anyway.

I can just see it now: "Raaaaa, why are we playing with inverted centre-backs!?"

SaltfordWhite

Why on earth is it an issue which side of the centre he plays?!