watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FA CUP FINAL

Started by Lighthouse, May 08, 2013, 11:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Fans and players still love the FA Cup final. But we often say it is not the competition it once was. There are all sorts of reasons for that. The Prem and Champions League are the big ones now. However why has the Cup Final been relegated to an also run?

It is only on one tv station and kicks of at gone five in the evening and Villa and Chelscum play on the same day. Plus there is still two weeks Prem matches to go and the playoffs.

What have they done to our Cup Final?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JHunter_Fulham4Life

I'm afraid a lot of it has to do with my country. Thanks to Sky's North American outlet, Fox Soccer Channel, plus interest generated by ESPN and NBC's new cable network, there is big demand (both viewer and advertiser) in the Prem -- and, by extension, the FA Cup. That means it has to run at a time where it won't be dawn on the U.S. west coast at kickoff. And I'm afraid it's only going to get worse as NBC takes over U.S. ownership of all Premiership 'casts. Sorry, lads. This is what we get for making noise over here.

Mind you, at least the FA Cup has two Premiership clubs in it. (I think Wigan will survive -- again! It's what they do.) If you ask me, though, it's the League Cup that's become the real "who cares" competition. I mean, Swans and Brentford? Really?  090.gif

Roberty

The reason why the FA Cup is not the last match of the season this year is that Wembley Stadium will host the UEFA Champions League Final on 25 May. The agreement for hosting the final always includes a condition that no other matches will be played in the stadium during the 2 weeks prior to that game.

This means that if the game is not played there this weekend the next available weekend date would be after the International Break" at the beginning of June, which would mean that it would have to be played 3 weeks after the PL season has ended. 
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

RaySmith

It's a complete fiasco.

Burt

A number of factors:
1. TV (i.e. money) dictates the schedules.
2. The big clubs don't take it as seriously any more.
3. As the semis are played there, it devalues the final.
4. It used to be the season closer. Not any more.

I guess you could argue it all goes back to the first point.

filham

Good, sounds as if next season the FA Cup Final may revert to the proper place at the end of the season.
Great if Fulham could be there .

FFC1987

ffc73

Quote from: Roberty on May 09, 2013, 05:56:13 AM
The reason why the FA Cup is not the last match of the season this year is that Wembley Stadium will host the UEFA Champions League Final on 25 May. The agreement for hosting the final always includes a condition that no other matches will be played in the stadium during the 2 weeks prior to that game.

This means that if the game is not played there this weekend the next available weekend date would be after the International Break" at the beginning of June, which would mean that it would have to be played 3 weeks after the PL season has ended. 

That was the reason given for the season Barca beat Man Utd at Wembley but since then it has stayed 'in season' due, in my opinion, to the reasons given by Burt

Jimpav

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 09, 2013, 01:44:05 PM
I blame Senderos.

I blame the board for selling Dembele and Dempsey

King_Crud

Quote from: JHunter_Fulham4Life on May 09, 2013, 01:46:39 AM
I'm afraid a lot of it has to do with my country. Thanks to Sky's North American outlet, Fox Soccer Channel, plus interest generated by ESPN and NBC's new cable network, there is big demand (both viewer and advertiser) in the Prem -- and, by extension, the FA Cup. That means it has to run at a time where it won't be dawn on the U.S. west coast at kickoff. And I'm afraid it's only going to get worse as NBC takes over U.S. ownership of all Premiership 'casts. Sorry, lads. This is what we get for making noise over here.

Mind you, at least the FA Cup has two Premiership clubs in it. (I think Wigan will survive -- again! It's what they do.) If you ask me, though, it's the League Cup that's become the real "who cares" competition. I mean, Swans and Brentford? Really?  090.gif

I can't imagine the US market is as big as the Asia market, and the late times are rubbish for Asia

Alan_C

Sadly it is degraded and the 5:15 kick off is a nonsense. Simply the 'big clubs' would rank the FA Cup as their third priority.

It surely would be good to have another crack at the final.

I see no link what so ever to this binge influenced by America if it was surely it would be at 8pm.

MOR :

I'm well chuffed this Season as I'll get to watch it for once because the Filth are not in the final...

In the last 6 seasons I've only seen Portsmouth v Cardiff and Man City v Stoke...

Can't wait for it...