more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 11, 2013, 04:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FULHAM v Liverpool: Riether and Petric return from injury for Cottagers

Sascha Riether and Mladen Petric will be available again when Fulham tackle Liverpool in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday.

Right-back Riether is back following an ankle problem and forward Petric has recovered from his hamstring injury, but midfielder Steve Sidwell is again suspended.

Fighting fit: Mladen Petric (right) has overcome a hamstring injury

Midfielders Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Simon Davies (hip) are out for the rest of the season.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Richardson, Hangeland, Senderos, Manolev, Emanuelson, Frei, Kacaniklic, Riether, Enoh, Ruiz, Berbatov, Frimpong, Duff, Etheridge, Riise, Karagounis, Rodallega, Hughes, Petric.#

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2322582/FULHAM-v-Liverpool-Sascha-Riether-Mladen-Petric-return-injury-Cottagers.html#ixzz2Sx1p5YUD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham v Liverpool match preview
A
look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at Craven Cottage.

Fulham can ensure that the 2013/14 season will be their 13
consecutive campaign in the Premier League by beating Liverpool on Sunday.

Following Wigan's 3-2 defeat to Swansea, the Cottagers now lie five points clear of the relegation zone with just two games to go and as a result of their superior goal difference over the Latics, a point may well also be enough for them to head into the final day with no worries.

When Fulham beat QPR 3-2 on April 1 they had 39 points from 30 games and must have felt safety was virtually guaranteed but a run of five defeats and one draw from their last six games may well have given manager Martin Jol a few worries.

Liverpool, on the other hand, have only tasted defeat once in their last ten league matches which came in a 3-1 defeat at Southampton.

That run has included some emphatic wins with a 5-0 win at home to Swansea, a 4-0 victory at Wigan as well as a 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle at St. James Park.

After the 0-0 draw in the Merseyside Derby last week, the Reds have little left to play for as they are seven points clear of eighth place West Brom although mathematically they still have to a chance to overtake Everton who have a five point gap on their neighbours.

KICK-OFF: Sunday, 3pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS...

Liverpool 4 (Skrtel, Gerrard, Downing, Suarez) Fulham 0, Premier League, December 2012

Liverpool 0 Fulham 1 (Skrtel og), Premier League, May 2012

Fulham 1(Dempsey) Liverpool 0, Premier League, December 2011

STATS...

Fulham are without a win in their last six games having lost five and drew one of those. Their last win came against QPR on Monday April 1 with a 3-2 victory.

Dimitar Berbatov's 13 Premier League goals this season make him Fulham's clear top goalscorer with both Mladen Petric and Bryan Ruiz next with just five.

Liverpool's 3-1 loss at Southampton is their only defeat from their last ten Premier League games.

Only Manchester United have scored more goals than Liverpool on their travels this season having scored 36 compared to Liverpool's 35.

ODDS...

Fulham to win: 4.1

Liverpool to win: 2.04

Draw: 3.65

CLASSIC MOMENT/MATCH

Liverpool's victory over Fulham in the 1986/87 League Cup Second round allowed them to break the records of both the biggest win and biggest aggregate win in the history of the competition.  The Reds ran out 10-0 victors at Anfield with four goals coming from Steve McMahon, two from Ian Rush and John Wark, with Ronnie Whelan and Steve Nicol also getting on the scoresheet. They also won 3-2 in the second leg to progress 13-2 on aggregate.

TV: Highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-fulham-v-liverpool-match-preview-8611402.html

WhiteJC

Martin Jol demands Fulham end run of four straight Premier League defeats

Boss Martin Jol is demanding Fulham finish the season strongly after suffering four straight Premier League defeats.

The Cottagers are still not guaranteed survival - though they will be safe if west London neighbours Chelsea beat Aston Villa on Saturday.

Fulham finish their campaign with matches against Liverpool on Sunday, and Swansea on the final day.

"It was early April that we had 40 points; we had that point against Aston Villa (on April 13)," Jol said.

"I knew it was very important to be on 40 points, when you saw the schedule ahead of us with Chelsea and Arsenal, Newcastle, away games, Everton.

"Of course, you can imagine we were a bit concerned, but the 40 points gave us a bit of a cushion.

"It still is a little bit of a cushion, but mathematically we're still not safe yet.

"We will focus on ourselves to try to get a result to be safe. The Wigan result helped and of course we need a result, but you depend on other games as well.

"We will look at other results and even when the results are going for us we have to try to finish the season on a very good note."

Jol is expected to perform major surgery on his squad this summer - a number of players will be out of contract or returning to their parent clubs after loan deals expire.

One loan star he wants to stay is Cologne right-back Sascha Riether.

"Sascha is my right-back and if he's fit he will play," said Jol. "Sascha was one of the better players this season. Of course we would like to keep him."

Jol says striker Dimitar Berbatov will also be staying: "That is not the worry I've got. He's got another year on his contract. That is not a concern at all.

"You need a lot of money to buy four or five players. If eight or nine or 10 players are leaving a club, you need at least five or six to come in.

"Hopefully we're able to do that. Otherwise we have to be very creative again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8703546/?

WhiteJC

Jol reveals transfer plan for Fulham duo

Fulham's Sascha Riether. Photo: Nigel French/EMPICS

Transfer news: Martin Jol has hinted that Fulham will take up their option to sign Sascha Riether but insists Dimitar Berbatov is going nowhere despite speculation around his future.

A summer of change is expected at Craven Cottage, with numerous players out of contract or returning to their parent clubs.

The manager hopes on-loan Cologne right-back Riether, who is available for Sunday's visit of Liverpool following an ankle problem, is not among them and is back at the west London club next term.

"Sascha is my right-back and if he's fit he will play," said Jol, adding: "Sascha was one of the better players this season. Of course we would like to keep him."

Striker Berbatov has again been linked with a summer switch and Jol dismissed the prospect once more.

The Dutchman said: "That is not the worry I've got. He's got another year [on his contract]. That is not a concern at all."

Jol plans to meet with Fulham owner Mohamed Al-Fayed to discuss recruitment plans for next season.

He said: "You need a lot of money to buy four or five players. If eight or nine or 10 players are leaving a club, you need at least five or six to come in.

"Hopefully we're able to do that. Otherwise we have to be very creative again."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_reveals_transfer_plan_for_fulham_duo_1_2189052

WhiteJC

Preview: Can Fulham End Rotten Run At Home To Liverpool?

Although Fulham have never been in particular relegation trouble, they did and still are putting their fans through a tough time - all Fulham have needed is 3 points to mathematically confirm Premier League football next season, they've been trying to get them 3 points for the last 6 games (D1, L5). The Cottages have been placing their hand too close to the fire in their fans opinion and desperately need 3 points to 100% guarantee safety.

The Cottages have been on a dire run of late and although they have had some pretty tough fixtures, they haven't performed to the standard that we've come to expect from a Martin Jol team. There are 3 things that I think could buoy Fulham; firstly, the possible return of Mladen Petric who's been out with a knee injury.

Secondly, the hope that if they win their last 2 matches (Liverpool (h) & Swansea (a)) they could possess a top-half finish, something which will be difficult but something of which Fulham and Martin Jol can be very proud about. Lastly, they are one of the few mid-table clubs who have actually had success against Liverpool in the past, most recently doing the double over Liverpool last season.

The Reds on the other hand, have been a mixed bag of late. There have been a mix of mediocre performances; 2-2 at home to Chelsea, and 0-0 in the Merseyside Derby, where, on both occasions, Liverpool have gotten a tad lucky, especially with the Luis Suarez equaliser in the 96th minute against Chelsea. Alongside these average performances, there have also been some very good performances, most notably the 0-6 humiliation of Newcastle and the extremely unfortunate 0-0 draw away at Reading, where Liverpool had 22 shots overall, 11 on target. It's safe to say, Alex McCarthy, in the Reading goal, had the game of his career.

Overall, my money would be on the Draw at 13/5 with Ladbrokes. This is based on Liverpool, although picking up points, haven't been in the best form lately and Fulham will be motivated by their recent success over Liverpool and the knowledge that they know they can beat The Reds, especially at Craven Cottage.

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/05/10/preview-can-fulham-end-rotten-run-at-home-to-liverpool/201305108995?

WhiteJC

Taking Their Time!

With only two games to go before we wave goodbye to the 2012/2013 season, the future of our 40 year-old Australian keeper, Mark Schwarzer, is still shrouded in mystery.

According to comments in the Evening Standard today, a deal is far from done and Schwarzer may be forced to ply his trade elsewhere with the Aussie quoted as having remarked,

'There has been a discussion but there's no actual offer on the table at the moment,'

"I'm just concentrating on playing football and playing as well as I possibly can. One way or another it will be sorted out. I've got no concerns about that, whether it's at Fulham or elsewhere.'

Come on folks, can we get this sorted out quickly!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319102#ixzz2Sx3xq5qa

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Liverpool at Craven Cottage on Sunday May 12, 2013, kick-off 15.00 (BST).

Sunday, May 12 2013
Fulham v Liverpool
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 BST.
TV: Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day2.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Riether, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise; Duff, Enoh, Karagounis, Emanuelson; Ruiz; Berbatov.
Out: Davies (hip), Dejagah (ankle), Diarra (knee), Sidwell (suspended).

Liverpool (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique; Lucas, Henderson; Coutinho, Shelvey, Downing; Sturridge.
Out: Agger (back), Allen, Gerrard (both shoulder), Flanagan, Kelly (both knee), Suárez (suspended).

Referee: Mark Halsey. Matches: 16, R2 Y37.

Team News
Sascha Riether and Mladen Petric will be available again when Fulham tackle Liverpool.

Right-back Riether is back following an ankle problem and forward Petric has recovered from his hamstring injury, but midfielder Steve Sidwell is again suspended.

Midfielders Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Simon Davies (hip) are out for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and defender Daniel Agger will miss the final two matches of the season, starting with Sunday's game at Fulham.

Gerrard is scheduled to have an operation on a shoulder problem this weekend while the Denmark centre-back will undergo a series of injections in his back as part of a long-planned rehabilitation programme.

Striker Luis Suárez is suspended, midfielder Joe Allen is sidelined after shoulder surgery while Martin Kelly continues his recovery from a knee operation late last year.

Match Notes
Liverpool's sole remaining target is to catch Everton and claim sixth spot.

But, with five points separating the Merseyside neighbours even that seems unlikely and the decision to bring forward Steven Gerrard's shoulder operation this week provided further confirmation the Anfield club's focus is already trained on next season.

The continuing uncertainty surrounding Dimitar Berbatov's future provides an unwanted backdrop for a Fulham side who have taken just one point from their last six games.

Betting: Home 11-4, Away Evens, Draw 12-5.

Stat of the game: Fulham have lost their last four games, their worst run since January 2010, when they lost five in succession.

Ian Winrow's prediction: Fulham 1 Liverpool 2.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10039164/Fulham-v-Liverpool-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL FACING SHOWDOWN WITH MOHAMMED AL-FAYED OVER FULHAM TRANSFER FUNDS

FULHAM boss Martin Jol will seek assurances about ­the club's ambitions when he meets chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed to discuss plans for team ­rebuilding this summer.

Jol has been forced to work on a shoestring this season and his patched up squad of free transfers and loanees still need one more point to be sure of Premier League safety.

That has frustrated the Dutchman's ambitions and, with several senior players set to leave Craven Cottage this summer, he faces another hectic close season trying to update his squad.

Jol and Al-Fayed will sit down in the next two weeks to discuss the size of the summer budget that will determine whether the club will be forced to wheel and deal in the bargain basement once again.

The manager insists he has not yet crossed swords with the board over spending plans, but he does admit there could be a possible ­conflict when talks ­finally do ­begin.

Jol, who has one year left on his contract, said: "Every ­manager would like a few bob to spend – and we need a few bob.

"Of course next week or the week after I will sit down with the chairman and ask him what he wants.

"But we haven't sat down before so there was no fire, maybe a little bit of smoke."

And asked if he would still be at the club in ­August, he added: "Yes, I think so.

''But maybe the ­chairman wants to play in the top eight – then I've got a problem."

Jol, whose side are at home to ­Liverpool ­tomorrow, ­believes his success in steering clear of the drop zone this ­season could count against him.

He said: "They (the club) can sometimes hold it against you.

''They can say you did fantastically well in the summer with all these loans and other players like Pavel Pogrebnyak, who was free.

"And of course we can try and do that again, but it is not really healthy for a club.

''I would love to have some 23 and 24-year-old players, like Moussa ­Dembele, to build them up and try to build up your own funds.

"It's not easy because you need a lot of money to buy players and if eight or nine players are ­leaving the club we need five or six to come into the club.

"Hopefully we will be able to do that or we will have to be very creative again.

''When you get good players everyone will say you did well.

"But, in ­hindsight, if you don't do well everyone will say it's a club of mercenaries.

"I would like to be a bit more stable. I said when I came here I wanted to be in the top 10 and that is not easy when you are not stable."

But Jol insists Dimitar Berbatov will remain at the club after Galatasaray became the latest side to be linked with the striker.

He said: "Berbatov is not a concern at all because he has another year left on his contract."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/313960/?

WhiteJC

Jol: It's In Our Hands

Ahead of the visit of Liverpool this Sunday, Manager Martin Jol is pleased that the Club's ability to seal our Barclays Premier League status is still in our hands.

Fulham are on 40 points – a total which is often enough to secure top flight status – but we have not picked up a point in our last four games. With Reading and Queens Park Rangers already relegated, there are a number of nervous clubs in the bottom half of the table, although Wigan Athletic's 3-2 loss to Swansea City in midweek has seen the Latics installed as favourites for the drop.

Jol knows that his side – currently 12th in the table - can cement their place in the league again with a good result against Liverpool, but is amazed how competitive the season has been.

"It has been unbelievably competitive this season," he said. "If Wigan could have beaten Swansea then they would have been on 38 points and all the clubs in the bottom half could have been in trouble.

"Who are we to say we are not like Newcastle or Stoke this season, as we are all in the same position. If you look at the positive side, you can say that we are as strong as all these clubs but I am still counting my blessings and am happy that we are in this position because it is still in our hands. Even if it is not, then we still have a chance."

The nature of the Premier League is such that Jol always expects a few surprises towards the end of the season, but he is confident that his side will be safe.

"I feel that the league was always pretty strong," he added. "But what you hope for when you are at a club like Fulham is that there are three clubs like Reading and QPR. In England, it is almost impossible because every year there are a few surprises – you could be in the bottom four over Christmas and then you get a totally different picture at the end of the season.

"There could still be a surprise with the club that goes down, if for example Wigan win their two games. It is an unbelievably strong league and to have 40 points and still not safe mathematically is awful for all the clubs. I can assure you that there will be a lot of managers who will be looking at the results this weekend and they will be very happy – or not!"

Asked what needs to change for Fulham next season, our Manager insisted that stability is the key over the summer in a bid to push for another finish in the top half.

"I would like to make a little step, which is what I said when I came here, and be in the top 10 – like Everton" he said. "But that is not easy when you have to change your personnel every time, so we need to try and be a bit more stable."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/11/jol-its-in-our-hands?

WhiteJC

Liverpool: Lawro Predicts Fulham Result

What scoreline has former Reds defender Mark Lawrenson plumped for in the latest edition of his prediction feature?...

Ex-Liverpool centre-back turned media pundit Mark Lawrenson has expressed his thoughts ahead of his old side's trip to Fulham on Sunday.

Writing in his regular 'Lawro Predicts' column for the BBC, the 55-year-old revealed that he expects the hosts to sneak the three points.

Here's what he had to say in full...

"Fulham were tripped up by Reading last week so I think they will be even more keen to sign off with a decent display in their last home game of the season.

"I think it will be an open game, because neither side can really go anywhere - Fulham are not mathematically safe but they are not in any real danger.

"Liverpool are without Steven Gerrard after his shoulder injury and I think the Cottagers might just edge it.

Lawro's opponent
Each week Lawro invites a guest to give their Premier League predictions before seeing who guesses the most scores correctly. This week, he's up against indie rock band Vampire Weekend.

Opponent's prediction: 1-2

"There has been a lot of speculation about Dimitar Berbatov's future at Craven Cottage but I think Fulham manager Martin Jol is a big factor in whether he stays or goes.

"The fact he is in London will make a difference to Berbatov too - I think he is happy and enjoying his football at a team where he is the fulcrum of everything that happens which, as we know, is important to him.

"Unless Berbatov is absolutely itching to go somewhere else then I am not sure a move will happen."

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Read more: http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319169#ixzz2SzdlHA74

WhiteJC

Fulham-Liverpool Betting Preview: Solid Reds can claim a win over toothless Cottagers

Brendan Rodgers' side have kept a clean sheet in four of their last five outings and our tipster believes that the visitors are value to claim three points against Martin Jol's men

The Premier League edges closer to its conclusion this weekend and Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool will be hoping to extend their six-match unbeaten run when they travel to face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon.

The Reds will be without key duo Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez through injury and suspension respectively and the visitors are chalked up at a juicy 10/11 (1.91) with Bet365 to claim victory in west London.

Fulham are in dismal form ahead of this weekend's clash, having collected just one point from their last six matches which makes that price a very appealing one, even without Gerrard and Suarez for the Reds.

Martin Jol's men have lost each of their last three fixtures at Craven Cottage and the home side are available at 3/1 (4.0) with Bet365 to reverse that trend with victory over the Reds.

The same firm go 12/5 (3.40) that both sides are forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

It should be noted that Liverpool have been held to a goalless draw in three of their last five matches while Fulham have failed to score in four of their last six games.

Should the match end 0-0, Bet365 will refund all correct score, half time/full time and scorecast bets placed before kick-off as part of the firm's fantastic "bore draw" special offer.

Liverpool smashed six past Newcastle United at St James' Park on their last away day but this promises to be a much tighter affair and the 11/10 (2.10) quote from Bet365 for fewer than three goals to be scored looks to represent decent value here.

Brendan Rodgers' side have kept four clean sheets in their last five outings so the 11/4 (3.75) quote from Bet365 for Liverpool to winto nil is excellent value and should be eagerly snapped up this weekend.

Those seeking bigger prices may be enticed by Bet365's correct score market and the chunky 10/1 (11.0) quote for the Reds to win 2-0 is a price which is sure to attract plenty of support from punters.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2994/betting/2013/05/11/3964189/-?

WhiteJC

Swansea City star Michu set to return to Premier League action

The Spaniard himself suggested his hamstring injury had finished his campaign but the Spaniard has made an impressive recovery

Swansea City's top-10 hopes are set for a major boost with the news Michu could make the final day clash with Fulham.

Michu's 21-goal season seemed to have come to an end when he limped off during the goalless draw with Manchester City on Saturday after damaging his hamstring.

The Spaniard himself suggested afterwards that the injury had finished his campaign while manager Michael Laudrup conceded he would be without his top scorer for the final three fixtures.

But it is understood the Spanish star has made an impressive recovery and is being lined-up to face Fulham a week on Sunday.

And he could even be in contention to figure against Manchester United in Sir Alex Ferguson's Old Trafford farewell this weekend.

But that would be a gamble, and Laudrup will instead try and make sure the 27-year-old is ready for the game with Martin Jol's Cottagers on the final weekend of the season.

Swansea are still hopeful of being able to call upon goalkeeper Michel Vorm for the clash with United, the Dutchman taking a blow to the head and left with bruising and a cut lip following a mid-air collision with defender Ben Davies in Tuesday's 3-2 win at Wigan.

But they are set to be without centre-back Chico Flores who is continuing to struggle with arm, calf and ankle problems while Ki Sung-Yeung is a major doubt with a thigh injury.

Laudrup said: "Michu will still be out but maybe, maybe, he will be OK for the last game against Fulham.

"With Chico it is both his arm and calf and he has had a scan. Maybe for Sunday, but he can play the last one against Fulham.

"Ki suffered a dead leg against Chelsea so it's a longer one. I don't know about the weekend. Both of them are very doubtful."

Swansea are still hopeful of sealing a top-half finish, the hopes of which were given a major boost by winning at Wigan without Michu.

Facing an uphill task at an emotional Old Trafford, it could be the Fulham game that decides their fate.

Swansea are also targeting to better last year's tally of 47 points made under Brendan Rodgers in their Premier League bow.

Michu currently has 17 Premier League goals to his name in what has been a remarkable first season in English football.

That is three behind double player of the year winner Gareth Bale, while Robin van Persie and Luis Suarez lead the top scorers' chart with 25 and 23 goals respectively.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-star-michu-set-3613422?

WhiteJC

Liverpool FC: Tommy Smith on how Reds have little left to play for against Fulham FC but pride

An away game at Fulham isn't really big box office at the best of times. And make no mistake, these aren't the best of times.

The season is all but over and we have little to play for but pride. So I'd expect a real end of season feel at Craven Cottage. And if it's any better than that, it'll be a bonus.

But if all that's understandable, then the stalemate at Anfield last weekend is less easy to explain or fathom.

This was a derby match – but one of the most  forgettable in many, many years.

Everton needed to win to have any realistic hope of making Europe next season, while we needed three points to have a chance of at least finishing above the Blues.

Frankly it shouldn't matter what is or isn't at stake. A derby should be about blood and thunder anyhow – but this was one of the most passionless I can remember.

Both teams looked more interested in ensuring they didn't lose the game, rather than winning it. OK, I understand the nervousness having played in lots of these games – there is no worse feeling than losing a derby.

But on the flip side of that there is no better feeling than winning one. And unless you are prepared to show your mettle and really go for it, you're not going to get that high or give it to your supporters.

When both teams are of a similar mindset, dropping deep in numbers and staying organised to shut each other out, it makes for what we saw.

From a Reds point of view, it was so disappointing. We'd hammered six past Newcastle the week before and after two previous 0-0 draws, The Kop were hoping to see the Blues comprehensively put to the sword.

But it just didn't happen.

The last game at Anfield, next weekend against QPR, will be an emotional occasion as it will be the last time we'll see Jamie Carragher in a red shirt.

But tomorrow's at Fulham? Well there's nothing about it to excite me, I'm sorry to admit.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-columnists/2013/05/11/liverpool-fc-tommy-smith-on-how-reds-have-little-left-to-play-for-against-fulham-fc-but-pride-100252-33314938/?#ixzz2SzfKvRBK

WhiteJC

Jol targets Liverpool win and discusses summer transfer plans

Martin Jol is targeting a victory in Fulham's final home match of the season against Liverpool tomorrow to banish the memory of defeat to relegated Reading.

A six-match winless run has featured four successive defeats, the most recent a 4-2 loss to the Royals last weekend.

Jol recognises his team have the capacity to crumble as he prepares for a summer of rejuvenation at Craven Cottage.

The Dutchman said: "It was awful to get all these goals against us. But that is us.

"Every time when we need a result, are 1-0 down, it's not easy for us, because we give away a lot of space at the back.

"We're a good team if we can play compact and stay together. If not, sometimes you end up with a problem.

"They were very lively, no pressure at all and it showed."

Staying together will be the issue this summer.

With many of his squad out of contract, or returning to their parent clubs following loan spells, Jol faces discussions with owner Mohamed Al-Fayed over the club's recruitment strategy.

After numerous changes last summer and at the start of this season - including the departures of Danny Murphy, plus Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey leaving for Tottenham - Jol believes the season has been a success.

"I think we did ever so well because we had to change a club that was at the end of an era," he said.

"Hopefully we will be fine after the next transfer window."

Liverpool have been a team in transition this term under Brendan Rodgers.

Jol was reluctant to comment on whether Liverpool had improved, given the Reds finished eighth last season and are on course for seventh this term.

"With Kenny Dalglish of course expectation levels at the start were different," Jol added.

"That was a big advantage for the new manager and he's building a new team.

"They had a lot of new players. They spent a lot of money at the start of the season."

Liverpool will be without two of their established stars tomorrow - Luis Suarez, who is banned due to his bite on Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and England captain Steven Gerrard, who has undergone shoulder surgery.

"Last year we beat them twice and there were no problems injury-wise for them last year," Jol said.

"Maybe [Gerrard's absence] helps. He's one of the better midfield players over the last 10 years in England.

"[But] I wish him the best. I can't say I would like to see him in the stand or being injured, I don't want that for a player.

"But maybe it helps a bit if he's not playing."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_targets_liverpool_win_and_discusses_summer_transfer_plans_1_2189828

WhiteJC

Does it Really Matter? Liverpool v Fulham Preview

A preview of the upcoming match against Fulham and gamethread.

I'm not even sure what to write about this one. It very much has the "just biding our time" feel to it as the season plays out with little to play for. Liverpool were coming off an absolutely stunning display against Newcastle and then promptly laid an egg in the Derby, something that should never happen. Liverpool did thrash Fulham 4-0 earlier this season, perhaps we will get a nice repeat.

With Liverpool lacking Gerrard, Agger and Suarez, what can we expect now? Who knows? The line up will be quite different and with all the loving Rodgers has been showing Shelvey I'm sure we'll see him for one last chance/putting him on display in the storefront window.

Fulham have had another average season and reached the relative safety of 40 points a while back. Then they apparently decided to go on holiday as their last 6 games are the worst in the league: LDLLLL. They will be missing Sidwell who will be suspended as well as Davies, and Diarra most likely due to injury. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know a ton about Fulham, I don't. In fact, this season they have flown under the radar so much that I almost forgot they were still in the league.

Some talking points:

-BR says Reina is not for sale. We'll see how true that is based on how much he plays the last couple games.

-Man do I miss John Arne Riise. I'll be quite disappointed if I don't here his song sung from the traveling Kop.

-I hope to see a couple of youngsters get a good run out, particularly Suso, Assaidi and maybe even Coady and Wisdom.

-That's all I got. I really could care less about this game. I still want to win, but it feels like it'll be a preseason friendly and those are just hard to get overly excited about. It is almost along the lines of a sort of tree falls in the forest idiom.

http://www.anfieldasylum.com/2013/5/11/4320924/does-it-really-matter-liverpool-v-fulham-preview?

WhiteJC

Jol wants final home comfort
Martin Jol is targeting a victory in Fulham's final home Premier League match of the season against Liverpool on Sunday.

Jol is keen to banish the memory of defeat to relegated Reading.

A six-match winless run has featured four successive defeats, the most recent a 4-2 loss to the Royals last weekend.

Jol recognises his team have the capacity to crumble as he prepares for a summer of rejuvenation at Craven Cottage.

The Dutchman said: "It was awful to get all these goals against us. But that is us.

"Every time when we need a result, are 1-0 down, it's not easy for us, because we give away a lot of space at the back.

"We're a good team if we can play compact and stay together. If not, sometimes you end up with a problem.

"They were very lively, no pressure at all and it showed."

Staying together will be the issue this summer.

With many of his squad out of contract, or returning to their parent clubs following loan spells, Jol faces discussions with owner Mohamed Al-Fayed over the club's recruitment strategy.

After numerous changes last summer and at the start of this season - including the departures of Danny Murphy, plus Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey leaving for Tottenham - Jol believes the season has been a success.

"I think we did ever so well because we had to change a club that was at the end of an era," he said.

"Hopefully we will be fine after the next transfer window."

Liverpool have been a team in transition this term under Brendan Rodgers.

Jol was reluctant to comment on whether Liverpool had improved, given the Reds finished eighth last season and are on course for seventh this term.

"With Kenny Dalglish of course expectation levels at the start were different," Jol added. "That was a big advantage for the new manager and he's building a new team.

"They had a lot of new players. They spent a lot of money at the start of the season."

Liverpool will be without two of their established stars - Luis Suarez, who is banned due to his bite on Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and England captain Steven Gerrard, who has undergone shoulder surgery.

"Last year we beat them twice and there were no problems injury-wise for them last year," Jol said. "Maybe [Gerrard's absence] helps. He's one of the better midfield players over the last 10 years in England.

"[But] I wish him the best. I can't say I would like to see him in the stand or being injured, I don't want that for a player.

"But maybe it helps a bit if he's not playing."

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/8706274/-?