watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Karagounis not staying it seems

Started by Zu-Meister, May 17, 2013, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zu-Meister

The veteran Greece international, who was part of the squad that triumphed at Euro 2004 in Portugal, is open to offers from other English clubs but will not stay at Craven Cottage

EXCLUSIVE
By Ed Aarons

Giorgos Karagounis is set to play his final game for Fulham against Swansea on Sunday, according to the player's agent.

The 36-year-old signed a one-year contract with the Cottagers at the beginning of the season and has made 24 Premier League appearances under boss Martin Jol.

His performances saw Karagounis voted as runner-up behind Dimitar Berbatov in the club's Player of the Year Awards last week, and he was rated in the top 10 in Opta's passing accuracy stats.

Jol's future is currently under scrutiny with Brighton boss Gus Poyet heavily linked to take over, and now Karagounis' agent, Paschalis Tountouris, has revealed that there is no future for him at Craven Cottage.

"It is most likely that Sunday will be the last game that Giorgos will play for Fulham," he said.

"He's had a terrific year and the Premier league was a great experience. There would be options for him to stay in England and would consider any challenges that may be available. It's very good that the fans of Fulham have recognised his contributions this season to vote him as the second best player and he will always have them in his heart."

Karagounis has amassed 124 caps for Greece and was part of the team that won the 2004 European Championship.

Jol has stated on several occasions that he wanted the former Panathinaikos, Inter and Benfica star to stay at Fulham, but Tountouris admitted that is now unlikely, with Karagounis targeting the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. 

"I don't want to comment on any further details about discussions with Fulham but the bottom line is that he will move on," he added.

Burt

Reality?

Or an agent touting for one last chunk of commission for a player who will be retiring in a year or so?

Zu-Meister

Quote from: Burt on May 17, 2013, 01:13:36 PM
Reality?

Or an agent touting for one last chunk of commission for a player who will be retiring in a year or so?
yeah was thinking that too, just dont know these days. as much as i like him as a player, i really dont think we should sign him, we should be looking to the future, and youth.

Lighthouse

A player that had his moments but had a few iffy ones. Thanks for the effort he gave. But at 36 I would think whoever is in charge next season would want a younger man. Karagounis was only ever a short term solution.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JBH

I am happy for him to go with my thanks for his efforts  065.gif

HatterDon

At last, some positive news about next year's squad!  0001.jpeg
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

God The Mechanic

Four months ago this would've been a shame, but he really has started to look his age of late.

H3Matt

I thank Giorgios for his fantastic efforts this season, he's been a pleasure to watch and the fans even came up with a good song for him. Also loved the guys who threw the paper plates around a couple of times.

Thank you Giorgios! We appreciate your contributions but hopefully now Martin will look at a younger midfield.

Tonywa

But my goodness what a fantastic attitude he has.  To play in what is probably the fastest-paced League in Europe for the first time at his age is extraordinary. Always so eager and hardworking, he may have been a temporary solution but he has made a major contribution in terms of effort and I salute him.  One can say that it might only be Greece, but you don't win 124 international caps if you're not a good player.  I bet he was dynamite ten years ago.  Thanks for everything Giorgios.  It's been a pleasure watching you.

Fulham FC Fan

Poor, poor move by Fulham not to re-sign him for one more season. A first class act and leader who won the hearts of many at the cottage. He could can easily step in and fill in for unexpected injuries and suspensions as he did this year. Overall, an inexpensive insurance policy for the mid field. Jol praised Giorgos for months, now he is of no benefit to the team?  You rarely find players with three Euro and World Cup appearances still play with such effort at 36. Unlike Berbatov who checkout out early this season, Giorgos is great roll model for young players to learn to complete, as we will with no doubt be battling relegation next season.   THANK YOU GIORGIOS!

Barrie

Thanks for your effort Giorgos.  We'll be back in touch in September after we screw up the transfer window again.

Slaphead in Qatar

Love the guy, but we need less 30+ guys starting next season.

The Bronsons

He might well have had a second season in him for us if we hadn't ended up playing him every game this season. Not blaming anyone for that - we didn't have much choice - but so it goes. Thanks for the effort, Giorgios, and the enthusiasm, and two superb goals.

mullers

I want him to stay. His celebration of his goal against Blackpool [and his efforts to shake the hand of a younger fan holding a Greek flag by climbing over seats in the warm up] reminded me of Moritz Voltz. His only real weakness was showing up the willingness of others to cave in this season.

Cravenawin

If only he was five years younger, but unfortunately we cannot afford tired legs in the middle. Had a great spell during the middle part of the season, but time and age has caught up with him. I'll miss him though.

MJG

Even if he signed i doubt he would haave lasted much after xmas.
Its time to move on and get some younger cm's in to freshen things up.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: MJG on May 17, 2013, 07:39:52 PM
Even if he signed i doubt he would haave lasted much after xmas.
Its time to move on and get some younger cm's in to freshen things up.

That's the thing, he SHOULD only be a squad player at his age.  But equally, I'd rather a younger player get those chances in his stead.  May have been good to keep him around, but I reckon he'd rather be playing.

Highlander

The only player I can remember acknowledging the JH stand following a goal (in my short time at Fulham <5 years) always made me smile. :54:

Fulham FC Fan

PREMIER LEAGUE OWL ARTICLE:

Fulham have apparently decided not to retain Giorgios Karagounis beyond this season, and that's quite surprising.
The Greek international is a few years past his best, but he's still a model professional with something to offer over the course of a full campaign.

A couple of interesting statistics from Karagounis' season:

– He's made 20 league starts, and a further four appearances from the bench.
– He has a higher pass-accuracy than any other Fulham player (90.3%).
– He averages 1.9 successful tackles per game and 1.2 interceptions.
– He plays an average of 41.1 passes per game, more than either Steve Sidwell (39) or Eyong Enoh (37.9).

Karagounis isn't the same kind of player as Steve Sidwell, so maybe that last statistic isn't the most relevant – but the combination of all of those numbers adds up to something which has been useful to Martin Jol this season. With someone like this, it's not possible to price his value purely on statistics or other obvious attributes; he has an intangible worth to Fulham.

This is a seasoned international who has played at the very top of the game: for major European clubs, at World Cups and at European Championships – having someone like that in a dressing-room is nearly always valuable, and having them train every day with the younger players in the squad is even more so.

He's a personality who isn't intimidated by illustrious opponents, and Fulham need that kind of player. I'm not prejudging the situation; maybe his contract is too large, or maybe Jol has other plans this Summer, but it's just a shame that Fulham are losing him – he's useful, and his fiery personality makes him quite unique.

Logicalman

I do like him, he's got a great attitude, the only issues are his age, and he does tend to go down and little too dramatically for my liking. A couple of more seasons in the Prem and he will be both cream crackered and likely have a tag like Bale.