more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (19/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 19, 2013, 08:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League: Giorgos Karagounis and Simon Davies to depart Fulham

Experienced midfielders Giorgos Karagounis and Simon Davies are set to leave Fulham this summer.

The contracts for both midfielders are due to expire at the end of the season, and they are not being offered fresh deals.

The 36-year-old Karagounis joined the club on a free transfer in September and has played over 20 league games, becoming a firm fans' favourite.

"It is most likely that Sunday will be the last game that Giorgos will play for Fulham," his agent, Paschalis Tountouris, told Goal.

"He's had a terrific year and the Premier league was a great experience. There would be options for him to stay in England and would consider any challenges that may be available.

"It's very good that the fans of Fulham have recognised his contributions this season to vote him as the second best player and he will always have them in his heart."

Davies, 33, is moving on after six successful seasons at Craven Cottage which have seen him play over 150 games - but recently he has been dogged by injury.

"The thing with Simon is as long as I was here he was never fully-fit for more than two or three weeks, and that's a problem," said Fulham boss Martin Jol.

"When he was fit he was a wonderful player but if he's not fit we've got a problem, so we've got to sit down with him and talk about it.

"We will look after Simon and, of course, he can stay here as long as he needs to get fit, but it's about him as well. He has to make his mind up about his own fitness and if he wants to play again."

Fulham have already moved to bring in new midfield reinforcements as they are set to confirm the signing of Ghana international Derek Boateng on a free transfer.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8719694?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss lifts the lid on difficult season

TWO turbulent transfer windows made securing Premier League survival difficult for Fulham, according to manager Martin Jol.

Fulham head into Sunday's final-day clash at Swansea on the back of a run of five straight defeats in a disappointing end to the season for Jol's men.

The club are safe though, having reached the magical 40-point mark following a 1-1 draw against Aston Villa in early April, and Jol is a relieved man.

The Dutchman believes losing star duo Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele (pictured) to Spurs on transfer deadline day last August was a major blow to club.

And bringing three loanees, Urby Emanuelson, Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh, in on the final day of the January window meant the trio had little time to bed in.

Jol reckons Fulham were the most unsettled team in the league last season given all the changes and considers survival a decent achievement in the circumstances.

He said: "If you look at the changes and the problems we had and I always play with an English spine, we couldn't quite find the balance. Of course Berbatov was here but without him we wouldn't have had those 14 goals in the league, so in hindsight it was good to have him here. Even Petric scoring five goals without really playing and [Mahamadou] Diarra helped us big time but he was injured.

"I feel that we were probably the most unsettled team of all after the transfer windows and to still be in this league was our first priority. Of course, if you consider us a top-10 club, we are twelfth now, but if we win on Sunday I think we can finish tenth or eleven. It's close and it wasn't good in the last seven games."

Jol has already recruited Sascha Riether on a permanent deal for next season.

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/05/18/82029-33346970/?#ixzz2TioNPAhR

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol confirms exit of Giorgos Karagounis, Simon Davies

Giorgos Karagounis and Simon Davies will not be offered new deals at Craven Cottage this summer, manager Martin Jol has said.

Karagounis, 36, joined the Cottagers on a free transfer in September and has been popular with the Fulham faithful.

Despite this, the Greek will not be considered for a fresh contract.

"It is most likely that Sunday will be the last game that Giorgos will play for Fulham," said Jol.

"He's had a terrific year and the Premier league was a great experience. There would be options for him to stay in England and would consider any challenges that may be available.

"It's very good that the fans of Fulham have recognised his contributions this season to vote him as the second best player and he will always have them in his heart."

Davies, 33, will move on after six seasons in West London which have seen him play over 150 games.

"The thing with Simon is as long as I was here he was never fully fit for more than two or three weeks, and that's a problem," said Jol.

"When he was fit he was a wonderful player but if he's not fit we've got a problem, so we've got to sit down with him and talk about it."

The club are said to have already moved for new midfielders and, according to reports, they are expected to confirm the signing of Ghana international Derek Boateng on a free transfer.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-pair-karagounis-davies-on-their-way_84885.html

WhiteJC

Opta Stats: Swansea v Fulham

It's the final day of the season at the Liberty Stadium as Swansea host Fulham. Opta have all the stats.

Swansea have won each of their previous three Premier League meetings with Fulham. The Swans are 1.82 to record another victory.

11 of Dimitar Berbatov's 14 Premier League goals for Fulham have come before half-time. Berbatov is 8.2 to score the first goal.

Only Robin van Persie (12) has scored more goals at home than Michu (11) in the Premier League this season. Michu is 2.08 to find the net.

Michu has scored 38% of Swansea's goals this season; only Aston Villa's Cristian Benteke (42%) has scored a higher proportion of his sides' goals in the Premier League in 2012-13. The Spanish attacker is 5.7 to score the first goal.

Swansea have scored the highest percentage of goals in the second half of matches in the Premier League this season (70%). They are 1.57 to score the last goal.

Fulham have lost five successive Premier League games. They have only lost six in a row once before in the competition; between Feb-Mar 2002. Swansea are 2.9 to win to nil.

The Swans have won just one of their last nine Premier League games (W1 D3 L5). You can lay Swansea at 1.83.

Michael Laudrup's side have conceded exactly two goals in seven of their last nine Premier League games, keeping a clean sheet in the other two. The 2-2 draw is available at 17.0.

Swansea are one of only two teams this season yet to win a penalty kick (alongside Spurs). No side have gone a whole season without winning a penalty since Charlton in 2004-05. The odds on a penalty being taken are 3.55.

Just 11% of Swansea's goals (five of 47) have come from set-pieces this season; the lowest proportion in the Premier League. Fulham are 6.0 to keep a clean sheet.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-swansea-v-fulham-180513-629.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol says he would love Fulham to finish with a win at Swansea and 43 points

Fulham boss Martin Jol says he is very keen to end the season on a high with victory at Swansea on Sunday.

Despite never having been in serious relegation trouble, Fulham are considered to have had a somewhat underwhelming campaign and lie 15th in the table after five losses in a row.

But Jol points out that a win on Sunday would take them to 43 points and a finish just three points behind their hosts, who are considered to have done well this term.

"I would love to have a good result over there," said Jol. "That would put everything in perspective again if we could finish this season off on 43 points.

"Look at all the other teams around us - they have 39 points, 40, 41, 43. Swansea is probably the first team of that group and could finish in the top eight, if they beat us.

"It will be a boost for us if we can win and for the 800 or 900 fans we take with us.

"Last year we had a big problem and we managed to get these players in on loan and everyone was happy.

"Later, it probably turned a bit against us, because we had too many players on loan, and we knew that. It is not healthy but that was the situation and we still managed to stay in the league and get 40 points.

Results-related business

"I can explain these indifferent results but, on the other hand, it is a result-related business.

"The difference between us and Swansea is the game at Craven Cottage (which Swansea won 2-1). They've got 46 points, we've got 40.

"We were the first team that had more possession against them but two goals due to our defence gave them the win.

"If we had won, we would have both been on 43 points, but they were fantastic and we were useless this season. That is the Premier League, it is a thin line."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8719949/?

WhiteJC

Early Bird Season Tickets

2013/14 Season Tickets are now available on General Sale, with some great new seats now on offer to buy. All 2012/13 Season Ticket seats which haven't been renewed are up for grabs so be sure to get in quick for the best availability.

Purchase your Season Ticket before 5pm on Tuesday 28th May to take advantage of our Early Bird prices which start from £399 for adults and £95 for juniors.

That's just £21 per game for adults and £5 per game for juniors.

You can find out more information about 2013/14 Season Tickets, including the benefits you'll get as a Fulham Season Ticket Holder here.

The quickest and easiest way to purchase your Season Ticket is online, or alternatively you can call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (option 3).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/18/early-bird-season-tickets?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfield duo to depart, paving way for Derek Boateng

Experienced midfielders Giorgos Karagounis and Simon Davies are set to leave Fulham this summer paving the way for Ghanaian Derek Boateng to join the club.

The contracts for both midfielders are due to expire at the end of the season, and they are not being offered fresh deals.

This paves the way for the Cottagers to sign Ghanaian Boateng despite the threat from Greek giants Olympiakos who claim they have a deal in place for him.

The 36-year-old Karagounis joined the club on a free transfer in September and has played over 20 league games, becoming a firm fans' favourite.

"It is most likely that Sunday will be the last game that Giorgos will play for Fulham," his agent, Paschalis Tountouris, told Goal.

Davies, 33, is moving on after six successful seasons at Craven Cottage which have seen him play over 150 games – but recently he has been dogged by injury.

"The thing with Simon is as long as I was here he was never fully-fit for more than two or three weeks, and that's a problem," said Fulham boss Martin Jol.

"When he was fit he was a wonderful player but if he's not fit we've got a problem, so we've got to sit down with him and talk about it.

"We will look after Simon and, of course, he can stay here as long as he needs to get fit, but it's about him as well. He has to make his mind up about his own fitness and if he wants to play again."

Fulham have already moved to bring in new midfield reinforcements as they are set to confirm the signing of Ghana international Derek Boateng on a free transfer.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/fulham-midfield-duo-to-depart-paving-way-for-derek-boateng/?

WhiteJC

Fulham All Stars 7-5 Sealand All Stars

Fulham All Stars lifted the Shooting Star CHASE Cup after a 7-5 win over Sealand All Stars at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

The game was played in aid of the club's official charity, Shooting Star CHASE, a local children's hospice service who provide expert care for local families with a child or teenager with a life-limiting condition.

A little way away from their Cottage heydays, a whole host of former Fulham stars turned out for the Whites, while Sealand's side included the likes of England rugby ace Ugo Monye and X Factor contestant Kye Sones.

Led by a three-pronged managerial team of Les Strong, Tony Gale and Simon Morgan, Fulham were in front with less than a minute on the clock. Mark Pembridge floated a ball over the top and, after hesitation in the Sealand defence, Barry Hayles - still playing for Truro City at the ripe old age of 41 - nipped in to slot home.

Fulham Foundation staff member Ryan Moore fizzed a free-kick just wide at the other end, before Sealand drew level on eight minutes when the powerful Monye ghosted past Andy Melville and Chris Coleman and beat Dave Beasant.

On 13 minutes, Fulham's Paul Peschisolido skipped round goalkeeper Bobby White, but saw his shot from a tight angle hit the outside of the post, before Beasant tipped a header from Monye over the bar.

Sealand were in front on 16 minutes when Phil Eceranno beat the offside trap and poked the ball through the legs of Beasant. But Fulham equalised two minutes later when Pembridge's corner was nodded towards the net by Neil 'Smudger' Smith with Sones only able to head the ball into the roof of the net.

Monye had his second of the game to make it 3-2 on 22 minutes when he collected a Somes pass and sent a fierce drive past Beasant at the near post.

It was 4-2 to Sealand on 34 minutes. The impressive Monye again caused the Fulham defence problems and when the ball eventually found its way to Moore on the edge of the area, he curled a delicious effort past Beasant.

Fulham reduced the deficit on 36 minutes when Hayles controlled a cross and fired past Great Britain handball ace White and it was 4-4 on 41 when Peschisolido collected a pass from substitute Gordon 'Ivor' Davies and slotted home.

A minute before the break, Sealand got their noses back in front, Mohammed Diakite bursting through, bundling past Beasant and smashing into an empty net.

At the start of the second half, Beasant tipped a rising shot over from Monye, but it was 5-5 on 52 minutes when Andrejs Stolcers' cross eventually fell to Peschisolido who scored from a few yards out for his second of the match.

Fulham were back in front on 65 minutes when Motspur Park Security Manager Leighton Jones tapped in after great work by Hayles.

Beasant made a fine save to deny Temi Williams, brother of JLS star Oritse, on 69 minutes, while Hayles went through but hit the post at the other end as he looked for his hat-trick.

Adam Green forced a good save from White shortly after but the Fulham man made it 7-5 on 80 minutes when he smashed a half-volley into the right-hand corner of the net from 12 yards after good work down the right by Brian Greenaway. It was to prove the final goal from an entertaining fixture down on the banks of the Thames.

Afterwards, Gale said: "It was a good game for a good cause and it was lovely to see some of the old boys. I must give a special mention to Brian Greenaway, who's 55, and Ivor, who's 56.

"It was my first delve into management and it was easy, I don't know what all the fuss is about! No, it was fun with Les and Morgs and it was a great crowd. There's no better place to be than the Cottage when the sun's shining. My man of the match would be Barry Hayles, who scored two and is still really fit. He got the hump when we substituted him twice, mind!"

Morgan added: "It was a great game for a great cause and there was a lot of laughter. The hardest bit was getting them out on the pitch as there was such a good atmosophere in the dressing room – all the old jokes came out."

Kit Symons, Fulham Under-21s Manager, said: "It was brilliant to see all the old boys again and it was a really good atmosphere. I was pleased to come on and make a difference; they have some real fit guys in their team so I was pleased just to keep up with them. There was a lot of good play out there and it felt just like the old days."

Sealand manager John Scales, who played the first half, stated: "I loved it. I haven't played at Craven Cottage for a long time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought we played really well, Ugo Monye was especially good. But the main thing was supporting the kids and raising some money."

Sealand's Sones, who was part of the 2012 X Factor competition, said: "It was great. It wasn't the pace that I thought it was going to be and after the goal went in after about 45 seconds I was seriously worried, but we got back into it. Just to be out there on the Cottage pitch was amazing and it was great to see so many people here to support both sides."
England and British Lions rugby player Monye stated: "It was nice to blow a few cobwebs out as I haven't been in training for a week or so, but it was amazing to be involved for a great cause today on a surface like that. I'll feel a lot better tomorrow than I would after a rugby match and it was really good fun day to be a part of."

Shooting Star CHASE provide expert care at Christopher's in Guildford and Shooting Star House in Hampton, Middlesex. To donate, text FFCF05 followed by either £1, £2, £5 or £10 to 70070.

Bid for a 5* holiday to Mauritius!
The Fulham Foundation have kindly been donated a 7 night stay for 2 persons at the 5* Long Beach hotel Mauritius. The proceeds from this auction will be split equally between the Fulham Foundation and Shooting Star CHASE.
Bid online for a chance to win this fantastic prize!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/18/all-stars?

WhiteJC

Six and out for Fulham?

Our long descent into darkness comes to an end at the Liberty Stadium. A season that seemed to endure forever is one that will not live long in the memory, with Fulham hoping to avoid a sixth straight defeat at the hands of Swansea. So flat have performance levels been since the Whites hit the 40 point mark, it's hard to see where our next win is coming from. I am not predicting one in South Wales either, Swansea having won all three games against us since being promoted.

- Jol: Davies must get fit or leave

Thankfully, come August we will still be playing in the Premiership -- but surely with a much-changed team. Will Martin Jol still be leading it? Indications during a week where Fulham have attracted a fair amount of press suggest the manager lives to fight another day. From a financial point of view a win would help enormously. So there's plenty of reasons for the lads to give it the maximum.

And does Jol still have enough supporters on the board to brush off another hammering?

While the paper talk and Jol's own press conferences give indications of imminent new signings, for now we are left with the last knockings from a lopsided team way short of being competitive. The penalty paid for lack of foresight and real investment over the past 12 months, with Jol by degree now hinting the blame for our decline should not be laid at his door.

I maintain Jol must shoulder some blame for our rapid falling away this season. He need only look across the dugout at the Liberty to his opposite number for a lesson in nurturing talent and drawing the best from limited resources.

But this is a theme we can ruminate on at length in the days to come. Here are the stats ahead of the last rites to this miserable season.

Swansea have enjoyed a terrific second season and even lifted silverware. They can look forward to playing the Europa League after beating Bradford City in the Capital Cup. They are also on course for a top 10 finish in the Premier League. In short, they've had the kind of season Fulham fans dreamt of last August.

The Swans' success stems from the very impressive Michael Laudrup and goals from the outstanding Michu, with 18 for the season to date. Fulham, notoriously feeble on the road, are looking to upset the odds by sneaking a fourth road win, but that will not be easy. Swansea have only lost four home games all season. Our Premiership record to date with the Swans makes grim reading:

Fulham 1 (Ruiz) Swansea 2 (Graham, De Guzman), Premier League, December 2012

Fulham 0 Swansea 3 (Sigurdsson x2, Allen), Premier League, March 2012

Swansea 2 (Sinclair, Graham) Fulham 0, Premier League, December 2011

Not that anyone should need reminding, but I've left the most damning stat till last.

The Cottagers have never come from behind to win a game so far this season. I'm praying for a Dimitar Berbatov hat-trick to beat the bookies' predictions and reward those die-hards making the trip to South Wales. I myself am heading off to the Cottage Sunday to cheer on Kit Symons' kids -- they've got more chance of winning.

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1050?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Swansea v Fulham

This has been a good season for both teams, although they have both been on a run of poor results recently.

The Cottagers have earned only one point from their last seven games which has led to doubts over the future of Fulham manager Martin Jol but, as far as replacing him is concerned, it is very much a case of better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

There is monster money for the Premier League clubs from next season onwards and chairmen and chief executives should be very cautious about changing their managers if there is no real need to do so.

Swansea's win at Wigan on 7 May was only their second since they won the League Cup final at the end of February.

The Swans almost spoiled the party at Old Trafford for Sir Alex Ferguson in his farewell game last week too but I think they will end their campaign on a positive note.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22553885

WhiteJC

ASTON VILLA STRIKER DARREN BENT TARGETTED BY FULHAM

DARREN BENT will be offered an escape route out of Villa Park by Fulham this summer.

The outcast Aston Villa striker is set for talks with boss Paul Lambert in the next 48 hours and will be told he can leave the club.

Villa are desperate to offload their highest earner and shed his £65,000-a-week wages following Bent's season sat on the bench.

The club are aware of Fulham's interest and have fielded tentative calls about a deal as Martin Jol looks to beef up his squad for next season.

But any deal hinges on Villa being prepared to lower the £12million valuation they placed on the hitman, 29, in the January transfer window.

Another key factor in any move will be Bent's willingness to take a significant pay cut to move to Craven Cottage.

The former England man has made it clear he wants to meet Lambert to get a clear picture of the situation and last week claimed he is fed up of warming the bench behind Christian Benteke.

The Belgian is set to be offered a new deal this week, doubling his current £25,000-a-week contract – and Bent knows he has to move on to restart his career.

Turkish side Galatasaray are also in the market for Bent and could meet his wage demands.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/315337/?

WhiteJC

Swansea v Fulham

By Dan O'Hagan
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Liberty Stadium Date: Sunday, 19 May

TEAM NEWS
Swansea boss Michael Laudrup may select the same team that narrowly lost to Manchester United last weekend.
Goalkeeper Michel Vorm is again missing, along with injured midfielder Ki Sung-Yeung.

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell will not feature as he serves the final match of a four-game suspension.
Midfielders Simon Davies, Ashkan Dejagah and Mahamadou Diarra will not play again for the Cottagers until next season.

MATCH PREVIEW
Few teams this weekend will have deserved the obligatory lap of honour quite as much as Swansea. If last season's historic, best-ever 11th place finish under Brendan Rodgers was the stuff of dreams, then this season Michael Laudrup has "Jacked" up the bar even higher.

The prize of eighth place, coupled with their League Cup win, and guaranteed Europa League football next season will earn the Swans a raucous, joyous send-off on Sunday.

This was the team that Rodgers built, and Laudrup, using his Spanish league know-how, perfected. His ability to sign players of great technique, if not reputation and price tag, has marked him out as a manager who'll doubtless be linked with many a summer vacancy - and not just in the Premier League.

I notice that Laudrup himself has suggested that, for now, eighth is probably the summit of what is realistically possible for Swansea, effectively winners of the mini-league within the Premier League. Mind you, next season they'll have another target - not only to match what they've done this year, they'll also HAVE to beat Cardiff home and away!

Fulham travel to South Wales in, frankly, dreadful form - over the last six matches the worst in the Premier League, with a run of five successive defeats and no wins in seven. Of course they are now safe from relegation, but back-to-back top-half finishes under Mark Hughes, and last season with Martin Jol already seem an awfully long way off.

Jol's position now seems secure into next season, despite recent speculation suggesting a parting of the ways could be imminent.

Either way, Sunday could be a farewell for several of Fulham's players - the Cottagers have an ageing group of players with 10 of the first-team squad out of contract come the season's end and 12 of them aged 30 or over.

These are two clubs with relatively modest budgets by top-flight standards, and so the merit payments for final Premier League placing will perhaps mean more to them than most. Both can, on their day, play football easy on the eye, and of a very high standard - I was at Fulham to see them humiliate Norwich 5-0 in August, and here at the Liberty the following week to see "Swansalona" pass West Ham into submission.

Let's hope both turn up - and turn on the style - to give us an end-of-season cracker

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Swansea have beaten Fulham in all three of their Premier League meetings, conceding just one goal.

Prior to that, the Swans had beaten Fulham just once in 13 meetings in all competitions dating back to 1990.

This is the 63rd meeting between the sides. Fulham have won 30 times, Swansea 22 and there have been 10 draws.

Swansea
Swansea have taken just six points from their last nine games (W1 D3 L5), putting them below the likes of Aston Villa, Sunderland, Norwich and Wigan in the form table.

The Swans have not beaten a side in the top half of the table since defeating Arsenal on 1 December. If they beat Fulham on Sunday it will mean that each of their last six league wins have been against clubs now in the bottom half of the table.

Swansea are one of only two teams this season yet to win a penalty (alongside Tottenham). Charlton in 2004-05 were the last side to go a whole Premier League season without winning a penalty.

Just 11% of Swansea's goals (five of 47) have come from set-pieces this season, which is the lowest ratio in the Premier League.

Swansea have scored the highest percentage of goals (70%) in the second half of matches in the league this season.

Fulham
Fulham have lost five successive Premier League games. They have only lost six in a row once before in the competition - between February and March 2002.

Eleven of Dimitar Berbatov's 14 league goals for Fulham have come before half-time. Only Clint Dempsey has scored more goals (17 last season) in a single Premier League season for the club.

They have thrown away 23 points from winning positions and gained just five from losing positions this season.

Fulham's record of four points from their last eight games puts them 19th in the form table with only relegated QPR below them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22499103?

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL ODDS-ON TO LEAVE FULHAM

BOOKIES have made manager Martin Jol odds-on to leave Fulham by the start of next season.

William Hill are offering 4-6 that he could become another manager casualty in the coming weeks.

Spokesman Joe Crilly said: "There has been a lot of managerial movement over the last few days and we predict that Martin Jol could be the next in line."

Having led Fulham to a ninth-place finish last term, the Dutchman's side only narrowly avoided relegation this season.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/315370/?

WhiteJC

Bargain hunt: 'Michu buy was a better than signing Dimitar Berbatov' admits Fulham boss Martin Jol

'Everyone would like to have a player like him,' says Cottagers chief

Fulham manager Martin Jol has conceded that he lost out to Michael Laudrup in the battle for the bargain of the season.

The two managers come face-to-face today with their Premier League status for next season secured – and their next battle will be off the pitch in the cut-throat transfer market.

Jol lost out to his Danish rival for the signing of ­Michu last summer but Jol has proved in the past, with the signings of short-term goal machine Pavel Pogrebnyak and this season's 14-goal hero Dimitar Berbatov, that he himself is a dab hand with a chequebook.

Jol said about Michu's unofficial candidacy for bargain of the season: "If you consider it has not only been in spells, it's been throughout the season then yes, he is.

"Berbatov was quite well known so it was a matter of proving it again. Michu had never played in England so it was a gamble. I don't think they paid the world for him, and everyone would like to have a player like him.

"Michu was on our list like a hundred others ­because we have a shadow list and in each position we have about ten players, but it was never a priority for us."

Jol's summer plans have taken a late twist following the news first-choice ­goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has rejected the club's most recent contract offer, but that doesn't faze the Dutch art collector who is used to ­getting creative.

"We sold for £28million in the summer and we bought some players in and we still try to be ­creative in the next couple of weeks," he said.

"You have to keep your business quiet because if you don't then other clubs come in for those good ­players. It is easy to pay £12m but we don't want to do that, it would be ­impossible. We would like to generate our own money with youngsters.

"We have to find these players and hopefully we have a little bit of money to spend as well."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-boss-martin-jol-admits-1896690?#ixzz2TisO3FvL
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Head-To-Head

Our final game of the 2012/13 Barclays Premier League season sees Fulham travel to Swansea City with our place in the top flight secured for another year.

The month of May has not been kind to us as we lost at home to Reading and Liverpool – making it five defeats in a row – but with FA Cup with Budweiser winners Wigan Athletic losing to Arsenal in midweek and becoming the third team to drop into the npower Championship, we are safe once again.

Our recent record against Swansea has not been good as we have lost the last three games, but we have the edge in the historical contests going all the way back to 1925 and have won 28 of the 59 games in the league. Last time out at the Cottage on 29th December, we slipped to a 2-1 defeat without regular number one Mark Schwarzer in goal and were unlucky as we had more than twice as many shots as the opposition.

At the Liberty Stadium, we will likely be without Kieran Richardson after the left-back was forced off with an injury against Liverpool, but aside from the absence of Steve Sidwell who is on the last of his four-match ban, the rest of the squad are fit and focused on ending the season on a high.

The Swans will assess Angel Rangel who has been out with a calf injury and goalkeeper Michel Vorm (concussion) ahead of the game, but they will have top scorer Michu in the side after he recovered from a hamstring injury to take part in the 2-1 defeat against Manchester United last weekend. Ki Sung-Yueng and Roland Lamah have had recent complaints, but could be called into action from the bench.

The opposition

It has been quite a season on the Welsh coast as a top half finish in the Premier League looks assured and their incredible Capital One Cup success – the first major trophy in their 101 year history – has seen this side written into the history books.

Two years ago, Swansea arrived as the first Welsh team to reach the Premier League (since its inception in 1992) under Brendan Rodgers and have not looked back since. Now under the watchful eye of Danish legend Michael Laudrup, the side have gone from strength-to-strength as they have won many admirers for their passing style and are regularly on top in the possession stats.

In bringing in 18-goal striker Michu for a paltry sum last summer, the Swans have shown considerable acumen in the transfer windows as well, and it has seen them pull off some impressive results: most notably a 2-0 win against Arsenal at the Emirates and holding the top three (Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea) to draws at home.

Currently sitting in ninth place in the table, they have struggled a little of late and have only won once in their last nine games; although a 3-2 win over Wigan at the DW Stadium was the hammer blow that virtually assured the Latics of relegation.

Last time out

Fulham 1-2 Swansea City 29.12.2012

In our last match before the New Year, Fulham hosted Swansea with David Stockdale making his return in goal to plug the gap left by the injured Mark Schwarzer. Unfortunately, it was not the return he would have hoped for.

With a tough festive schedule approaching its climax, Fulham made six changes from the last game and welcomed back forward Bryan Ruiz into the fold. The Costa Rican's corner saw the first chance of the match on 10 minutes, but Dimitar Berbatov volleyed over having done well to out-muscle his marker.

The 19th minute provided the first goal as Nathan Dyer's scuffed cross was pushed back into the danger area courtesy of a save by Stockdale – who had been recalled from his loan spell at Hull City a week previous – and Swansea striker Danny Graham hooked it home.

Before the break, Ruiz went close with a couple of free-kicks that fizzed wide of the upright, while Kerim Frei hit an effort wide after good interplay with Berbatov.

But Swansea then doubled their lead as Stockdale's 52nd minute clearance hammered against Brede Hangeland and it rebounded for Pablo Hernandez to knock a square ball to Jonathan De Guzman who slotted home.

Ruiz continued to pressure the Swansea defence and he got one back as Berbatov headed Frei's cross against the bar for the forward to net from close range. Berbatov then had the ball in the net again, as Giorgos Karagounis' effort was spilt by Gerhard Tremmel in the wet conditions but the offside flag denied us a point.

Players to watch

Ashley Williams: One of the top defensive performers in the league this season, the 28-year-old has played in all but one of the club's games and has received rave reviews for bolstering the Swansea defence. Williams was playing in the npower League Two with Stockport as recently as 2008, but has enjoyed a quick rise to the top, becoming captain of his country as well as his club.

Leon Britton: The metronome in the heart of the Swansea midfield, Britton has come on leaps and bounds since he left the club on a free in June 2010 only to return a year later. Against Fulham at the Cottage last season, the 30-year-old was arguably at his most influential as he passed the ball 100 times, with 96 per cent accuracy. That is his game in a nutshell and his vision forms a key part of the Swans' attack.

Michu: With 18 goals this season, the Spanish striker has proved himself to be one of the most potent forwards in the league. He was a virtual unknown in England when he arrived for £2m but his power, pace and cool head in front of goal have seen him stamp his authority on most who have come up against him.
The magic numbers

11. The percentage of Swansea's goals (five of 47) from set-pieces this season; the lowest proportion in the Premier League.

2. Swansea are one of only two teams this season yet to win a penalty kick (alongside Spurs). No side have gone a whole season without winning a penalty since Charlton in 2004-05.

1. The Swans have won just one of their last nine Premier League games (W1 D3 L5).

5. Fulham have lost five successive Premier League games. They have only lost six in a row once before in the competition; between Feb-Mar 2002.

70. Swansea have scored the highest percentage of goals in the second half of matches in the Premier League this season (70%).

38. Michu has scored 38% of Swansea's goals this season; only Aston Villa's Cristian Benteke (42%) has scored a higher proportion of his sides' goals in the Premier League in 2012-13.

11. Only Robin van Persie (12) has scored more goals at home than Michu (11) in the Premier League this season.

11. The number of Dimitar Berbatov's 14 Premier League goals for Fulham which have come before half-time.

3. Swansea have won each of their previous three Premier League meetings with Fulham.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/18/head-to-head

WhiteJC

Fulham End Of Term Report: Loan Lukaku, Ditch Senderos & Laugh At Chelsea Fans

The jury is still out on Jol after a dire season that harked back to the Sanchez days, but there is always hope...

Fulham End Of Term Report: Loan Lukaku, Ditch Senderos & Laugh At Chelsea Fans...

The 'I f*cking love this game' highlight of the season?

Sadly few and far between, but going 3-0 up against QPR at home was fun, especially given their league placing at the time.

The season ticket shredding moment?

Losing away at QPR.  We've had a number of gutless displays this season but that took the biscuit. It was like they'd passed a very, very strong spliff around the dressing room at 2.45pm.  It was one of those games where a supporter needed to do the pre-match teamtalk as the players genuinely looked like they didn't give a poo.  QPR evidently did and won deservedly.

Moment that just about summed it all up?

Fulham's loyal supporters have just suffered three inexcusable defeats in a row; six of the last seven games have been lost.  The players seemingly switched to an end-of-season kit of Haiwaian shirts with Pina Coladas in hand as soon as we reached forty points.  But in the last game at home to Liverpool, and after not being given a blatant penalty, followed by another decent shout for a sending off, Liverpool walzed upfield and Daniel Sturridge was given all the time in the world to make it 2-1.  Our defensive frailties have rendered Craven Cottage a fortress no more and that has been our undoing this season.

Got the right manager?

I'm really not so sure we have to be honest.  I think we've played some fantastic stuff under Jol, but all too fleetingly.  Mark Hughes was able to maintain the momentum established under Roy Hodgson, but flounced out over budgetry issues.  That seems to be the problem again, but recent form has suggested there's a deeper malaise.  We've looked a shambles at times, as bad as we looked under Lawrie Sanchez and that takes some doing.  It takes a lot for Fulham's crowd to boo them off on such a regular basis. We're not the only club with a limited budget, but you've also got to invest the money you do have correctly.  Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele generated a fair amount of cash that hasn't been spent in a way that inspires confidence.   In fact, Jol has wasted fair few quid and I wonder whether he'll inspire the confidence to invest the windfall from the increased TV money.

Player of the season?

Sacha Reither by a country mile.

What would you change next term if you were the gaffer?

We have a slow, ageing squad.  We need pace, a young ball winning midfielder, a goalscorer and a central defender.

Which player would you like to sign?

Realistically someone like Lukaku. West Brom have really benefited from giving a young, talented player game time.  Jol's loan signings after Christmas have been mercenary landfill.  A big, dominant centre half is in the offing too in the shape of Fernando Amorebieta from Atletic Bilbao.  Phil Senderos is loveable but there's a mistake in him every single game if he starts.

Biggest own-goal?

The club choosing to play "You're too good to be true" (albeit a Fulham anthem) as the players trooped round after their sixth defeat in seven games post Liverpool at home.  The Laurel and Hardy theme tune would've been more apt.  Or maybe the one that ised to herald the kid's cartoon Rhubarb and Custard.  The players deserved to be pelted with rubbish given recent performances,

Biggest t*sser?

There's too many to mention in football these days, particularly in the media, but the biggest collective t*ssers are those Chelsea fans that took the effort to abuse a manager that subsequently won them a European trophy.  Imagine them at home, in semen speckled track suit bottoms making those banners.  Pondlife.

Best away pub?

The Crown and Sceptre, Shepherd's Bush.

Best pie?

Food at Fulham and elsewhere at football grounds is overpriced pap.  I wouldn't touch it.

Best chant?

"Your ground's too big for you" sung at QPR away.

Player's tweet of the season?

I don't tweet but am aware that Sacha Reither often credits our supporters which is nice.

Best laugh you had all season?

QPR going down.

How do you plan to get through the summer without football?

It's been one of those seasons where it's a blessed relief not to suffer it during the summer.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/fulham-end-of-term-report/?

WhiteJC

Baird Interesting Reading

Following the apparent decision not to award Chris Baird a new contract, therefore letting him leave on a free transfer this summer, it looks as if one club is set to take the plunge and sign him.

Relegated Reading look set to make the versatile Baird an offer. Nigel Adkins, aware that Baird can play in a host of positions, believes Baird could be somebody who could assist in Reading`s aim of making an immediate return to the Premier League.

However, with several other Championship clubs monitoring the situation, Baird may take time out to consider which offer gives him the best option.

We`ll continue to monitor any developments

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319842#ixzz2Tk0N5TNY

WhiteJC

Heading for Home

With his position at Craven Cottage still not decided, could we be bidding farewell to Mark Schwarzer?

Or to be more precise, could Schwarzer be bidding farewell to England?

One Sunday red-top is going with the inference that Schwarzer could, at 40, be prepared to listen to offers from Australian clubs, the place of his birth.

Once again, some speculation that we intend to follow up if anything of any significance happens.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319843#ixzz2Tk0cmmDV

WhiteJC

Lower the Price And........

We might be doing some business!

Some news sources are reporting that Fulham are, once again, looking at bring the out-of-favour Aston Villa striker, Darren Bent, to Craven Cottage.

Apparently, Bent has been told he can leave Villa Park this summer but the £12 million variation put on his head by Villa, the deal may well be a non-starter, unless, of course, Villa lower the price!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319853#ixzz2Tk0pqEJr