watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - RIP Ray Manzarek

Started by The Equalizer, May 20, 2013, 11:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

I know that there are a lot of music lovers on here, so I felt the need to share the passing of one of the true musical greats: Ray Manzarek.

Keyboard player of The Doors, and truly the backbone of that band, his playing inspired many and was often copied but never bettered.

RIP Ray.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ray-manzarek-doors-keyboardist-dead-at-74-20130520
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

chiefo

Time to listen to The Doors again, RIP to a true great.

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

chiefo

Vile sick c.... One was done on Morgan Freeman few months ago.

dlc

Sky news confirms it is true. His manager has released a statement.  Sad day. R.I.P.

The Equalizer

No, his manager has confirmed the death. That site that Don was looking at seems to be a hoax within a hoax:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/keyboardist-ray-manzarek-founding-doors-member-dies-at-74-from-cancer/article12031176/?cmpid=rss1

Such a shame that some parties thrive on misinformation derived from sad news.

The Bronsons

What a great band they were. RIP, Ray, and thanks for the music.

Patrick

The soundtrack of my youth....I saw him with Robby Kreiger over in Shepherds Bush Empire a few years ago...great gig...even with a substitute 'Jim' .....     RIP Ray.... and thanks...

Forever Fulham

"Riders on the Storm".  Amazing keyboards.  That was one fantastic blues band that kept experimenting with genres and boundaries.  Ah, Jim, we need real artists like you and Ray today.  I watched the Billboard something or other  on TV last night--skimmed through it really--and my wife  (a/k/a "the missus") and I were amazed at how poor the nominated music was, how offensive and stupid the artists were.  Dry humping, crotch grabbing, inane braggadacio, chest thumping, childish lyrics, simplistic melodies with predictable derivative beats.  And the theft!  The copyright infringement hiding behind a claim of 'sampling' or "tranformative" labels to seek a fair use defense.  It's just theft.  The best part of most of these songs are the hooks/refrains/melody lines of famous pop/rock songs of 20-40 years ago.  What a sad commentary on the state of modern music.  I don't want to sound like someone's dad here, but my god what has happened to the music industry?!  It's all the trappings now.  The tattoos, the ridiculous clothing, the dumbing down, the vapid noise.  In Texas they say, "All hat; no cow."  OK, OK.  I'll get off my box now.  The 70s really were a great decade for music...  Don't you miss real music?  

Patrick

Quote from: Forever Fulham on May 21, 2013, 09:07:19 AM
"Riders on the Storm".  Amazing keyboards.  That was one fantastic blues band that kept experimenting with genres and boundaries.  Ah, Jim, we need real artists like you and Ray today.  I watched the Billboard something or other  on TV last night--skimmed through it really--and my wife  (a/k/a "the missus") and I were amazed at how poor the nominated music was, how offensive and stupid the artists were.  Dry humping, crotch grabbing, inane braggadacio, chest thumping, childish lyrics, simplistic melodies with predictable derivative beats.  And the theft!  The copyright infringement hiding behind a claim of 'sampling' or "tranformative" labels to seek a fair use defense.  It's just theft.  The best part of most of these songs are the hooks/refrains/melody lines of famous pop/rock songs of 20-40 years ago.  What a sad commentary on the state of modern music.  I don't want to sound like someone's dad here, but my god what has happened to the music industry?!  It's all the trappings now.  The tattoos, the ridiculous clothing, the dumbing down, the vapid noise.  In Texas they say, "All hat; no cow."  OK, OK.  I'll get off my box now.  The 70s really were a great decade for music...  Don't you miss real music? 

Don't get me started re. current chart music and 'celebrity'.... all part of the plan to keep the proles dumbed down and compliant.... we need bands like The Doors and The Clash today...

Buffalo76

Quote from: Patrick on May 21, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
The soundtrack of my youth....I saw him with Robby Kreiger over in Shepherds Bush Empire a few years ago...great gig...even with a substitute 'Jim' .....     RIP Ray.... and thanks...

Was the substitute Ian Astbury or Scott Weiland at all?

Patrick

Quote from: Buffalo76 on May 21, 2013, 12:02:13 PM
Quote from: Patrick on May 21, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
The soundtrack of my youth....I saw him with Robby Kreiger over in Shepherds Bush Empire a few years ago...great gig...even with a substitute 'Jim' .....     RIP Ray.... and thanks...

Was the substitute Ian Astbury or Scott Weiland at all?

Neither..... a guy called Miljenko Matijevic..... a heavy metal singer......but he was decent enough...

tonywildman

:012:a sad loss, the best bad ever, long may the doors music carry on

HatterDon

"Riders on the Storm".  Amazing keyboards.  That was one fantastic blues band that kept experimenting with genres and boundaries.  Ah, Jim, we need real artists like you and Ray today.  I watched the Billboard something or other  on TV last night--skimmed through it really--and my wife  (a/k/a "the missus") and I were amazed at how poor the nominated music was, how offensive and stupid the artists were.  Dry humping, crotch grabbing, inane braggadacio, chest thumping, childish lyrics, simplistic melodies with predictable derivative beats.  And the theft!  The copyright infringement hiding behind a claim of 'sampling' or "tranformative" labels to seek a fair use defense.  It's just theft.  The best part of most of these songs are the hooks/refrains/melody lines of famous pop/rock songs of 20-40 years ago.  What a sad commentary on the state of modern music.  I don't want to sound like someone's dad here, but my god what has happened to the music industry?!  It's all the trappings now.  The tattoos, the ridiculous clothing, the dumbing down, the vapid noise.  In Texas they say, "All hat; no cow."  OK, OK.  I'll get off my box now.  The 70s really were a great decade for music...  Don't you miss real music?  

Brilliantly stated ... although there was a lot of unmitigated crap in the 70s that stayed on the charts. I can't argue with anything else you stated.

Oh, I know several young musicians who are creative, technically brilliant, and who come up with music I could never conceive of let alone create. They are determined to stay away from recording contracts and to remain true to the music they believe is true for them. They believe that record companies are archaic and evil. I think they may be right.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nevzter

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

chiefo

:plus one:
"Riders on the Storm".  Amazing keyboards.  That was one fantastic blues band that kept experimenting with genres and boundaries.  Ah, Jim, we need real artists like you and Ray today.  I watched the Billboard something or other  on TV last night--skimmed through it really--and my wife  (a/k/a "the missus") and I were amazed at how poor the nominated music was, how offensive and stupid the artists were.  Dry humping, crotch grabbing, inane braggadacio, chest thumping, childish lyrics, simplistic melodies with predictable derivative beats.  And the theft!  The copyright infringement hiding behind a claim of 'sampling' or "tranformative" labels to seek a fair use defense.  It's just theft.  The best part of most of these songs are the hooks/refrains/melody lines of famous pop/rock songs of 20-40 years ago.  What a sad commentary on the state of modern music.  I don't want to sound like someone's dad here, but my god what has happened to the music industry?!  It's all the trappings now.  The tattoos, the ridiculous clothing, the dumbing down, the vapid noise.  In Texas they say, "All hat; no cow."  OK, OK.  I'll get off my box now.  The 70s really were a great decade for music...  Don't you miss real music? 

A touch before my time of appreciating but hell ya thats a def  :plus one: