News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stekelenburg apparently a done deal (Italian papers)

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, May 22, 2013, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplyfulham

Quote from: westcliff white on June 04, 2013, 02:22:04 PM
the dutch are either there or en route to arrive later today / early tomorrow, so unless the medical was completed prior then I guess it will wait till next week. Of course he could pull out of the team

Is that definite?

I noticed he's not down in the call up list according to Sky.. 

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12021/8727684/Bundesliga-Holland-call-extends-Arjen-Robben-s-season

Maybe someone's pulled out and he's come in. Have you heard anything?

westcliff white

I was told by a Dutch guy in the office he was in the squad as it was a pr game they had to take almost a first choice squad. Having dinner later with him so will re confirm
Every day is a Fulham day

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

SaltfordWhite

I am finding it a little odd that even though this is fully in the public domain now that nobody else across the whole of Europe seems interested.

rusty shackleford

Burt

Further to Rusty's comment:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/06/05/4027524/stekelenburg-completes-fulham-medical-ahead-of-move-from

Dutch goalkeeper has undertaken medical tests at the Cottagers' Motspur Park headquarters as he finalises his £4 million transfer from Serie A club

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Maarten Stekelenburg has completed a medical at Fulham ahead of his £4 million transfer from Roma, Goal can reveal.

The Dutch goalkeeper underwent tests at the Premier League club's Motspur Park training base on Tuesday.
Fulham only have to tie up the formalities of the deal before announcing Stekelenburg as their third major signing of the summer, following defender Fernando Amorebieta and midfielder Derek Boateng.

Goal understands that the Cottagers will pay £4m for the 30-year-old after agreeing a fee with Roma officials last week.

As revealed by Goal, the Cottagers have been on Stekelenburg's trail for several months and made a breakthrough in their bid to sign him at the end of April.

Roma general manager Franco Baldini admitted on Monday that he had reached an agreement with Fulham to sell them the experienced goalkeeper.

As revealed by Goal, Roma have lined up Santos goalkeeper Rafael Cabral, 22, to replace Stekelenburg as their No.1.

With current No.2 Mauro Goicoechea set to return to Uruguayan club Danubio following a season on loan at the Stadio Olympico, the Giallorossi are also looking to sign Stefano Sorrentino, 34, from Palermo as experienced back-up.

Stekelenburg flew to England on the last day of the January window to complete a loan move to Fulham until the end of last season, but the Giallorossi pulled the plug on the deal when he was at Heathrow airport after failing to land a replacement in time.

The Cottagers have offered a one-year contract extension to long-standing No.1 Mark Schwarzer, but the Australian has yet to commit beyond the end of this month as he weighs up his options.

Ordar

rusty shackleford

He has signed, he's been speaking to the dutch press

QuoteStekelenburg: four years Fulham

From our Telesport Editorial
The transition from Maarten Stekelenburg to Fulham has been completed. The 30-year-old goalkeeper signed a four-year contract with the Premier League club. In London he meets his former coach at Ajax Martin Jol against. Stekelenburg comes from AS Roma. The Dutchman played there since 2011.

"I'm looking forward to playing in the Premier League", said a happy Stekelenburg know. The former Ajax goalkeeper looks back on a beautiful period in Italy. "The first half of last season I fell off the boat, but with the new coach I was there again. Only I was injured in the final weeks of the season. Now I'm fit again. This is good for the purpose of orange ", realized the former Ajax goalkeeper.
Stekelenburg hoped in the winter already a move to Fulham, but then bounced a transfer at the last moment. Stekelenburg is the second Dutch goalkeeper under the bar on Graven Cottage. Edwin van der Sar was from 2001 to 2005 under the bar in London.

farfouille

"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

zander

Burt

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Dutch international goalkeeper, Maarten Stekelenburg, from AS Roma on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee which will see the player at the Club until at least the summer of 2017.

The 30-year-old began his senior career at Ajax, having progressed through the Dutch club's youth system.

Stekelenburg made over 280 appearances during 11 seasons at Ajax, winning two league titles, three Dutch cups and four Dutch super cups before moving to Serie A and the Italian capital in 2011. He worked with current Fulham Manager Martin Jol at Ajax during the 2009-10 campaign.

Stekelenburg has 54 caps for the Netherlands and became first-choice goalkeeper following the retirement of Edwin van der Sar, having been understudy to the former Fulham man earlier in his career and at Euro 2008.

He reached the Final of the 2010 World Cup with Netherlands, narrowly losing out 1-0 to Spain in extra-time, and he represented his country at last summer's Euro 2012.

Speaking from a central London hotel, Maarten Stekelenburg said: "I am very happy to be joining Fulham, and to have everything sorted out so early in the summer, so I can really focus on preparations for playing in the Barclays Premier League next season.

"It's good that I'll be joining Martin again, he knows my capabilities very well, so I am just looking forward to joining up with the team in pre-season and enjoying some time with them prior to the new season starting."

Manager Martin Jol added: "Maarten Stekelenburg is a fine quality goalkeeper who I know well from my time working with him at Ajax and of course as the Dutch international goalkeeper I have always had an additional interest in his career. I am sure that he will do well here at Fulham in the Barclays Premier League.

"He is a player of great quality and technical ability whose distribution and ability to react quickly and read the game is exceptional; he will be a fantastic addition to the talented team of 'keepers that we already have.  I am delighted that he was so keen to come to join us and am very happy with the way that the summer is shaping up in terms of our signings, so on the whole I'm ever so pleased."

Burt

EJL

zander

Quote from: Burt on June 05, 2013, 05:05:33 PM
Blimey... goal.com was almost on the ball there.

I've posted the official article as a new topic. Feel free to merge it with this one if you deem necessary

SmithyFFC

What an unbelievable signing, so excited for next season already! COYW!
FTID

cmg

Well done, Fulham. A world-class replacement for a great keeper. If he's as good for us as Mark has been we've got a cracking deal.

Good to see he has a good grip on the jersey, although he looks rather surprised they've got the name right.

Quite a good touch from Jol just to say he adds 'to the talented team of goalkeepers we already have.'

Ordar

And so brings to an end this epic thread. Sad times!

Burt

I can extend it by asking:

Do you want me to:

LOCK IT

or

MERGE IT with the other "Stek Signs" thread?

:dft011:

L-Wizzy

Twitter: @officialslimwiz

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Burt on June 05, 2013, 05:29:27 PM
I can extend it by asking:

Do you want me to:

LOCK IT

or

MERGE IT with the other "Stek Signs" thread?

:dft011:

I suggest just leaving things as they are.

This one was the `will he, won't he' thread and it will now die naturally.

The other is a `Welcome' and `Good signing' thread which will run for a few days and then also die.

There is no need to do anything. Just let things evolve naturally.