more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (26/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 26, 2013, 08:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Briggs' Wembley Chance

Fulham defender Matthew Briggs is ready for the biggest game of his short career when Watford face Crystal Palace in the npower Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley on Monday.

The 22-year-old left-back joined the Hornets on loan for the remainder of the campaign in April – a spell which will now take in the winner-takes-all showdown with the Eagles.

"The loan spell's going terrifically well," Briggs told fulhamfc.com. "I'm getting games and playing in a successful team and we're at Wembley now, so it's all good."

After missing out on automatic promotion to Hull City and on-loan Whites goalkeeper David Stockdale, Briggs and the Hornets booked their place at Wembley after a dramatic Semi-Final win over Leicester City.

Trailing 1-0 from the First Leg, the Hornets hit back to lead 2-1 at Vicarage Road to make it 2-2 on aggregate. Leicester were then awarded a last-minute penalty but Manuel Almunia saved Anthony Knockaert's spot-kick before Watford raced straight down the other end to score through Troy Deeney.

"It was unbelievable," reflected Briggs. "I've never experienced anything like that in my life. When Leicester got the penalty our heads were in our hands as we'd fought back to get it level. But then Manuel pulled off the save and we broke away and scored. It was a magical moment and an amazing feeling."

Wembley now awaits Briggs as the Hornets and the Eagles look to book their place in next season's Barclays Premier League.

"We've just got back from a few days in Marbella and Malaga," said Briggs. "It was a training camp but they gave us a bit of time to relax. We had a training game against Malaga as well which we won 2-1. Training was good, everyone's spirits are high and we're raring to go for Wembley.

"Gianfranco Zola hasn't given any hints to what his starting XI will be but hopefully I'll get the nod. I've never played at Wembley before, I've been once years ago to watch former Fulham youngster Wes Foderingham play for England Under-17s against Spain.

"It will be a special day but it will also be a tough game against Palace. Both teams are in good form so it should be a good game to play in and a nice match to watch. We've sold out our allocation and there's a lot riding on the fixture."

Under the guidance of Hornets boss Zola, Briggs has made seven appearances during his time at Vicarage Road, adding to his experience by being deployed in three different positions.

"They play a 3-5-2 formation so I've played at left wing-back, centre-back and when they've gone 4-4-2 I've been at left-back," stated Briggs, who played eight games for Fulham in all competitions last term. "It's a much-faster pace in the Championship; you get a bit more time on the ball in the Premier League. But I'm comfortable at that level, I've been there before with Bristol City and Peterborough United and I'm accustomed to the pace of it.

"The manager's quality, he's class. He's good with young players and we've got a young squad - he's always talking to us. He joins in training and teaches us new tricks. He's still got it in training; I reckon he could still play in the Premier League!"

Once the small matter of Wembley is out the way, Briggs will set his sights on returning to Fulham for the start of pre-season and forcing his way back into Martin Jol's first XI plans.

"I'm aiming to come back here with the aim of cementing a place in the starting line-up," said Briggs. "I've definitely gained experience from this spell. I've learnt to play in two new positions, playing as one of three centre-backs and then playing at left wing-back. So I've got two more positions in my locker now.

"I've been looking out for Fulham's results and they got a great win at Swansea City at the weekend. I was happy to see Alex [Kačaniklić] on the scoresheet. It's been an up-and-down season but to finish 12th place wasn't too bad."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/25/briggs-wembley-chance?

WhiteJC

Keep Calm and Pass Him the Ball: Dimitar Berbatov, a retrospective

It was approaching 11:30pm on Monday 22nd April 2013 BFR. (Before Fergie Retired). The pubs – The Trafford, Sam Platts, The Tollgate – had been cleared and staff were starting the long, hard clean-up operation. The last, straggling cars in the many unofficial car parks surrounding Old Trafford were gunning their engines, preparing to leave. Some of them pipped out a jaunty tune on their horns as they left. At the Metro stations fans were trying to wedge their new 'Champions 20' flags through the doors of the trams. Some were heading into town to find pubs which might be open. Others headed for the station, for a longer journey home. Most of them were rowdy, and full of song. Others were quietly smug, happy in the knowledge that United were back.

It was cold, but not bitterly so. Most Reds had had their cockles warmed by the evening's main event, Manchester United serving up a 3-0 victory against Aston Villa which secured the Premier League title.

And already, even as the dust was settling on Manchester United's English record-extending twentieth championship title – their thirteenth under Sir Alex Ferguson – even as the fans and players were still celebrating, even as the possibility of the club finishing with an all-time record points-haul remained in the offing (we soon pissed that one away), commentators and journalists were beginning to turn their attention to the quality of the side. The internet message boards and the radio phone-ins were full of chatter:

How good are this current incarnation of Manchester United?

How would they compare with previous Ferguson teams?

Which players of the current squad, if any, would make it into Fergie's greatest ever United side?

Some of the chatter was fatuous, aimed at belittling United's (and Ferguson's) achievement. They said this was far from being a vintage United x11. They said the competition were no great shakes: Manchester City's defence of their 2011-12 title had been – at best – inconsistent; Chelsea were in transition; Liverpool were lurching from disaster to disaster; Arsenal... Well, United had pinched their star player.

Some of it was better informed. Some observers pointed out that Robin Van Persie had had an absolutely fantastic season, that Michael Carrick had been imperious in midfield, that Rio Ferdinand was back to his historic best in defence and that, in young players like David De Gea, Rafael Da Silva, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans, United had the foundations for a very good future.

Sir Alex Ferguson, when asked after the game for his thoughts on the respective 'greatness' of the 2012-13 United said: "It must bear comparison (with United sides of the past). I'm trying to think of a player who has scored a goal like that (Van Persie's second goal of his hat-trick was described by Fergie as the "goal of the century"). Rafael will end up being compared to Gary Neville. Phil Jones, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic are comparable to all the defenders we have had. I'm not saying they are better but great players are great players. Nostalgia does play tricks."
He also said: "I've had some great strikers, maybe 10 great strikers."

Which made my job all the more difficult. You see, I had been commissioned to write a book on Sir Alex Ferguson's Greatest United x11 (even before Fergie announced his retirement I'd been commissioned – his retirement merely hastened the publication). The publisher wanted me to consider 2, or 3 players for each position. And 10 into 6 won't go. 10 into 2 – the ultimate 2 strikers I would select – definitely wouldn't go.

I don't think I'm spoiling things too much by saying that Dimitar Berbatov didn't make the cut. Cantona, Yorke, Solksjaer, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Robin Van Persie all deserved their mentions and I just couldn't squeeze Berbatov in. Perhaps if I'd have made it an 'Andrew Kirby's Favourite United x11' he might have made the bench, but my book was supposed to contain 'Fergie's Finest', and as such he simply hadn't done enough.

What's more, I simply couldn't find enough people willing to make a case for him. In selecting the eleven greats, I canvassed a wide variety of opinions. I interviewed the editors of fanzines (like your very own Scott), merchandisers, proud Mancs and supporters clubs from around the world. I spoke to ex-players, like Norman Whiteside, and top journalists, like Neil Custis from The Sun. I sought out the opinion of Ken Loach, the film director who worked with one Eric Cantona on Looking for Eric. I also interviewed various fans and representatives of rival teams to get a 'view from the enemy': after all, the players they fear, and hate, are likely to be the real United greats.

Dimitar wasn't exactly the name on everybody's lips.

But somewhere amid the sadness of last Sunday – with Fergie and Scholes taking their final bows, with Becks signing off for PSG in tears a couple of days previously, with even Michael Owen hanging up his boots – I felt another twinge when I watched Match of the Day and saw Dimitar Berbatov scoring a lovely goal for Fulham in their away win against an already-on-the-beach Swansea side.

I miss Dimitar. And, watching him in full flow against Swansea (well, he trickled) I imagined, for a heady moment, Dimitar and RVP playing up-front together. I dreamed of the flicks, the nonchalance, the beauty. I imagined the goals they'd conjure up for each other. I imagined neither would kick it 'properly' for a whole season if they lined up in the same x11. For them, it would be all about the existential beauty: between them, they might just make up one Cantona.

And I wondered whether a case could have been made for Berbatov staying at Old Trafford another season. After all, with 15 goals for struggling Fulham, he's been the top-scoring striker in London this season (Bale has more but he is not a striker, and he's won enough awards in a team which has won nothing.)

In The Guardian the football journalists lined up to select their best player, goal, moments of the season. Bale won 'Player'. Van Persie won 'Goal' (for the over-the-shoulder beaut against Villa). But I was delighted to see Dimitar Berbatov getting not one, but two mentions (more than any City player). David Hytner nominated the Bulgarian as "the best player to watch and the best player to write about." Which I imagine he is. Journalists love caricaturing Dimi. Making out he is this gloomy oddball obsessed with death. Or else taking the piss out of his "Keep calm and pass me the ball" T-shirt.

RoM 'favourite' Sachin Nakrani was the other journo to give Berbatov a shout. He said it was "a left-field choice but then Berba is a left-field player. Languid, highly-skilled, hilariously ratty..."

Berbatov would have been a perfect fit for Arsenal, or maybe Spurs – how they've lacked a striker for most of this season. And yet he chose Fulham. Maybe he liked Al Fayed's Michael Jackson statue. Maybe he knew the only way after leaving United was down, so he just fancied being a big fish in a small pond all over again.

I can't seem to get away from the fact I feel Berb was harshly treated at United though. Being dropped from the entire squad for that Champions League final springs instantly to mind. I feel guilty about it. In the first half of that nineteenth league championship-winning season, he scored goals at a Van Persie/ Van Nistelrooy rate. Helped himself to a hat-trick against Liverpool at Old Trafford. Brought down skewed long passes as though they were things of beauty. Then there was his back-heel against Fulham. There was his shrugging. His smoking.

Damn it, I miss him. And I'm sorry I left him out of my 'Fergie's Finest' book. Certainly I'd rather have written about him than a certain Wayne Rooney... Maybe I'll write an updated version.

Or just write a whole book on the Bulgarian.

Most of us love to compare and contrast. We love to select our own 'Dream Teams', our 'Fantasy Football x11s'. We talk about it in the pubs – The Trafford, Sam Platts, The Tollgate – and on the radio. We talk about it over family dinners and in the car on the way home from OT.

Sports fans in general love to do this. In America, baseball fans make studious cases for their team's best ever line-ups. They quote reams of statistics to back up their arguments.

Football, however, is a far more subjective sport. We let our hearts rule our heads. We choose one player over another because of personal feelings, because a certain goal they scored, in maybe a meaningless match, made our heart beat faster, made us love the world, or the game of football again. We choose another player because they might have celebrated a certain goal with the fans, and maybe they high-fived us and us only, amongst the maelstrom.

In the case of Dimitar Berbatov, I wish I'd listened to my heart more. I still love to see him on Match of the Day, with that seemingly lackadaisical style of his and his lethal finishing and his T-shirts. (I'm not sure I could say the same for Rooney if I saw him lining up in another shirt.)

My book, 'Fergie's Finest' was published the week Sir Alex retired. We rushed it out. If I could make one change to the text, I'd at least give Berbatov an honorary mention. He might not have been every fan's cup of tea, but he was my measure of absinthe.
Complicated, sometimes surreal, sometimes downright hallucinogenic, he was a player could go to your head. Make you drunk with joy – witness that Liverpool hat-trick.
Yeah, I miss him.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/keep-calm-and-pass-him-the-ball-dimitar-berbatov-a-retrospective/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=keep-calm-and-pass-him-the-ball-dimitar-berbatov-a-retrospective

WhiteJC

Morgan Amalfitano on Fulham radar

French daily L'Equipe is reporting that Fulham have inquired about Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano.

The Cottagers are planning a major squad overhaul in the summer and they have already signed Fernando Amorebieta and Derek Boateng.

According to L'Equipe, Marseille attacking midfielder Morgan Amalfitano is also high on their hit-list.

The 28-year-old footballer has a contract until June 2015 at Stade Velodrome and he recently admitted he wouldn't mind staying at the club.

However, it is believed he would be tempted by an offer from English Premier League, obviously provided Fulham can reach an agreement with his current employers.

Amalfitano joined Marseile from Lorient on a free transfer in the summer of 2011, but he hasn't quite managed to live up to his potential at Stade Velodrome.

He has made a total of 58 Ligue 1 appearances for OM, but could only score two goals in the process.

http://www.soccernews.com/morgan-amalfitano-on-fulham-radar/120722/?

WhiteJC

FEATURE: Can Derek Boateng sieze Fulham chance?

West London, May 21, 2013. Holding up a Fulham shirt, the player smiled from ear to ear. He had just signed a one year contract with the English club.

To the bystander or photographer, that smile may not have been more than the routine 'smile for the camera' obligation.

Well, so it may have seemed, but for the player, the smile meant much more. English football was a dream come true, after a long ten year wait.

In 2003, he almost signed for Middlesbrough but an inability to secure a work permit scuppered that move. England was thus the perfect destination, especially after events of the last few months.

Earlier this year, he was released as a free agent, from a long standing contract dispute with former Ukrainian employers, Dnipro, by the European Court of Arbitration for Sports paving the way for this move.

More importantly however, he gets another chance to play on one of club football's biggest stages. Albeit, at an advanced stage in his career, it is indeed a rare opportunity to perhaps, just perhaps, fulfill a long standing potential.

But can he? Will he? Those questions were probably the last on Derek Boateng's mind as he smiled for the cameras; he had travelled long and hard; a very long way from the playing fields in Accra, Ghana, where it all began.

QUICK SPARK, QUICK DIM

Born May 2, 1983, Boateng, who started out as an attacker, honed his talent at Liberty Professionals, the same club that developed Asamoah Gyan, Michael Essien, Sulley Muntari, Kwadwo Asamoah amongst others.

In 1999, aged 16, and while preparing with Ghana's Black Starlets for the FIFA U-17 tournament in New Zealand, Greek club, Kalamata, couldn't wait for him to even participate in the tourney. He was whisked away to Greece and he did not disappoint; scoring 9 goals in 27 games in the 2 seasons that he played there.

His stock rose quickly and Derek eventually participated in his first FIFA tournament, the 2001 World U-20 Championship in Argentina.

Though others like Sulley Muntari and Michael Essien were on that team, it was Boateng who inspired Ghana to a runners-up position and also drew comparisons with Argentine legend, Diego Maradona from local fans.

So, when Greek giants, Panathinaikos snapped him up in 2001, a natural progression was expected, especially when he also received his first senior call up to the Black Stars that year.

Alas! It was not to be. After a good start, Boateng's appearances diminished and he was loaned to OFI Crete, also in Greece. Sadly, he failed to secure a permanent move. The pressures of adapting to a new environment at that young age had clearly taken a toll. To Sweden, and specifically AIK, he went in 2003 and with it, a life in oblivion.

RETURN FROM THE WILDERNESS

While Boateng's contemporaries like Essien, were lightening up the English Premier League, he found himself in the Swedish second tier, where AIK where relegated in 2004.

Though many Ghanaian fans had already written their eulogies on his career, Boateng kept his head up.

He stayed and helped AIK back to the top tier and built himself a massive reputation amongst local fans. And while the rest of the world could be least bothered, then Ghana coach, Ratomir Dujkovic paid attention.

Boateng was invited for a trial game against French club, Nice, at the very last minute of Ghana's preparations for her maiden World Cup appearance in 2006. That was all it took for Boateng to stage a remarkable comeback to the limelight.

He was selected and he played in the tournament in Germany. That uncommon stroke of luck or favour, will come in handy, just when Boateng needed it.

After the World cup, Boateng moved to Israeli club Beitar Jerusalem. He won back to back domestic Israeli championships from 2006 to 2008 and also participated in the UEFA Champions League preliminary rounds.

Back into the lime light he was, but Boateng was a different player from the one that made fans hold their breath; gone was the low cropped hair, replaced by locks; gone was the flamboyant style; gone was the silky flair; gone was the boy who just wanted to play.

In came the serious player who had dropped further down the pitch to defensive midfield and with a much more intense playing style. What he had lost in flamboyance and flair, he made up with good passing range and distribution.

However, with him being a natural creator rather than a destroyer of moves, his tackling ability hasn't been clean. His good attributes were however attractive enough for Germany's FC Koln, Spain's Getafe and Ukraine's Dnipro to sign him.

Many questioned his move from Getafe to Dnipro but it was suspected that the bumper deal offered was too good to reject. Relations with Dnipro however deteriorated culminating in this move to Fulham; a surprise move, considering that Boateng is at the wrong side of 30.

But can Boateng, who has experienced mixed career fortunes, seize this Fulham chance?

LAST CHANCE

Fulham is a mid-table team with moderate ambitions and the closest the team came to any sort of honour was in 2010 when they lost to Atletico Madrid in the Europa Cup final.

Egyptian business man, Mohammed Al Fayed, who is the owner and chairman alongside Dutch Manager, Martin Jol, however seek continuous improvement.

Fulham at start of the season, lost 2 of their top midfielders, Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey, and though they have at various times, brought in Giorgos Karagounis, Eyon Enoh, Urby Emmanuelson, Ashkan Dejagah as well as Boateng's compatriot Emmanuel Frimpong, the midfield has not quite been water tight.

It is the reason, an experienced player like Boateng (46 Caps for Ghana) has been brought in to shore up the defense and restore a measure of stability in midfield.

Boateng will thus be competing with loanees, Frimpong and Enoh (if they stay) and Mali's Mahamadou Diarra for positions in defensive midfield.

Boateng's experience should get him games and he should be able to consolidate his position but with the English game so physical and pacy, his age and stamina may hinder him.

If he works on his stamina, then he could possibly seize this Fulham chance, extend the contract and also position himself for a return to the Black Stars, should Ghana qualify for Brazil 2014. He has done it twice; 2006 and 2010, both in the dying minutes, when he wasn't even on the cards. If that happens, then Boateng would definitely not have bitten more than he could chew; it will tell, in his smile.

By Nii Ayittey Tetteh

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/feature-can-derek-boateng-sieze-fulham-chance/?

WhiteJC

Emanuelson Reflects

Having capped his last appearance of a productive loan spell at Fulham with a goal, Urby Emanuelson admitted the English league is a tough one to play in.

The AC Milan midfielder's initial appearances for the Whites were all from the bench but, as time wore on, he became more and more important to Martin Jol's thinking and ended up putting in a number of dazzling displays for his temporary side, including a last day goal in the 3-0 win at Swansea City.

"After finding my feet a little, I think I adapted and adjusted to the demands of English football," Urby told the official website. "I'd played in Italy and Holland – two very good leagues, as well as the Champions League. However, the football in this country is totally different – I don't think you can really prepare for the intensity. You just have to get in and play."

Emanuelson was delighted to have been given the chance to play in England, as he looked back on his favourite moments from his four-month stay in SW6.

"My first game for Fulham against Manchester United is one of the big highlights of my career, not just this season," he said. "But just to be competing in the Barclays Premier League was probably the best one for me.

"I came in during January, which had been kind of a winter break for me – I know that they do not have those in England, though. It was a great opportunity for me at Fulham as I'd always wanted to play in the Premier League. That was my personal highlight."

And when pressed for his favourite strike of the season, Emanuelson admitted he shared the opinion of football fans across the country who watched in awe as Dimitar Berbatov rattled home a winning volley against Stoke City back in February.

"Dimitar's goal against Stoke was an amazing goal," the Dutchman admitted. "He showed great technique. To connect with a high ball like that and to score from a volley was an unbelievable piece of skill. But that's what Berba is all about, he makes things like that look easy."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/25/emanuelson-reflects?

WhiteJC

Sascha Riether, The Epitome Of German Efficiency
by FPTAYLOR on MAY 25, 2013

Moritz Volz, Paul Stalteri, John Pantsil and Stephen Kelly have all played right back on the banks of the Thames in recent Fulham history, but none have quite hit the quality of former White Steve Finnan – that is, until now. In the summer of 2012, Fulham signed a relatively unknown German from relegated side FC Koln on loan. A German that had previous pedigree as a onetime Bundesliga winner with Wolfsburg has now become a solid and reliable part of the Thames Barrier, leading fans to wish for the permanent change swiftly into his spell with the club.

The composed full back has built a connection with the Fulham supporters in his first year and has turned into a favourite on the terraces. He told fulhamfc.com "I think I was appreciated by the fans at my previous clubs but they never used to chant my name. But I guess it shows that the fans like me here and they like how I play." In an up and down season, Sascha Riether has played with the same high quality consistency showing skill both defensively and an effective ability offensively, as he's chipped in with 4 assists making him 3rd in Fulham's assist charts. His high energy style is refreshing to see and his superb form this season has earned him Players' Player of the Year, as well as being nominated as Fans Player of the Year finishing a debatable third.

The family atmosphere at Fulham FC seemed to rub off on Riether as when interviewed on Fulhamfc.com "In my mind, I've never thought of myself as being here 'on loan.' I give my best as if I'm here for a long time. I've never felt I was coming here for a short time, for a holiday. I always give everything in each game I play and see myself as a Fulham player, not a Cologne player." It's quite a feeling when we are capable as a set of supporters and as club in general that we can give players this feeling.

I firmly believe that the shock of how good Sascha Riether was helped in extending the support from fans. By this, I mean that the people that had heard of him, thought he was an upgrade on Stephen Kelly but nothing special, but then his performances put that view to bed as Stephen Kelly became a thing of the pass and Sascha Riether quickly made the right back slot his own. As far as bargains go, our German has got to be up there after a settled first season, we clinched a permanent deal for Riether at a rumoured £1.3m, an absolute steal for a player of his ability.

Sascha Riether was also later partnered with former Wolfsburg team mate Ashkan Dejagah and showed an incredible understand which was a joy to watch at times down the right hand side. They seemed to have a telepathic understanding that I've not seen down the right hand side since Gary Neville and David Beckham. Unfortunately, injury to Dejagah put the partnership to bed for the season, but I, as well as many others, look forward to the pair having a season together with their superb interlinking play.

We've come accustomed to Riether's solid and reliable performances, and I'm sure most of us were over the moon for him when he scored away to Sunderland, as he deserved a goal in Fulham shirt. We hope it continues over the next few years, although next season, it seems likely that he'll have a new central defensive partner next to him. Last week, Fulham announced the signing of Athletic Bilbao's Venezuelan defender Fernando Amorebieta, and one suspects that he will take the place of Philippe Senderos; whether that means that the left footed Amorebieta will move to the left side of defence obviously is yet to be seen, but these two signings could be the start of a new Fulham defence along with a new Fulham team. Fulham look set to be busy, but I couldn't be happier that we nailed Sascha Riether down as our first bit of business.

In my opinion, Sascha Riether was our player of the season, and was robbed of the title, by an impressive, but not as consistent Dimitar Berbatov. To echo the words from above, I'm delighted, and I'm sure the club and many of you reading this, are also delighted with the permanent signing of Sascha Riether who in the coming years could challenge the shadow of Steve Finnan left on the right hand side. Thank you Sascha for the past year; and here's to many more.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/05/sascha-riether-the-epitome-of-german-efficiency/?

WhiteJC

Darren Bent, £4 million, really?

I know it's silly season, but the £4 million quoted in one of the latest posts discussing Bent leaving is slightly ridiculous. Even those who hate the player (and there seem to be plenty) would agree, and when we do sell him, I hope we at least ask for double that. Like him or hate him, he's one of the most prolific scorers in the Premiership, and I'd fancy a whole host of sides would fancy taking him off our hands.payday loans lenders online
The link appears in the Express, and while Fulham are chiefly mentioned, West Ham also come up as well:

'The Cottagers, who have already signed three players this week, have placed a bid for the former England striker, and next week expect to complete the signing of Roma goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg in a £2m deal.

Bent has been told he is free to find a new club by Villa boss Paul Lambert, and the Midlands side are now ready to make a big loss on a player they originally signed for £24m.

Bent barely figured in the side under Lambert last season as new boy Christian Benteke shone, and now Fulham and West Ham are both chasing the Londoner.

Craven Cottage manager Martin Jol knows Bent from their brief spell together at Tottenham and that might give the Dutchman an advantage, but Fulham will definitely try to bargain Villa down below £5m.'

It's interesting that they mention that a bid has already been placed, and while I don't know anything about that, Fulham and Bent have been linked for a while now. I've made my views on the player known time and again, but it's clear he's off, and it's hard to argue when we predominantly play one up front, and Benteke has done so well this season.

£4 million is ridiculously cheap though, and while it's clear we're going to take a loss on the player, I'd expect a minimum of £7 or so million. I think a fair few sides may be interested in the player, including 1 or 2 of the promoted teams perhaps. Hopefully that's enough to ensure that a bidding war of sorts takes place.

What I wouldn't like to see is us sell Bent, and then bring in someone like Charlie Austin or Dwight Gayle in for a similar amount. Still it's hard to argue by and large with what Lambert has done in the transfer market, and as I mentioned in a post earlier, hopefully we're on the up with him in charge.

http://www.upthevilla.com/darren-bent-4-million-really?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder assesses second half of the season

Fulham midfielder Urby Emanuelson felt he improved as the months went on after his loan move from AC Milan in January.

The Dutchman made 13 appearances for the Whites and scored on one occasion – in the final day win over Swansea.

"After finding my feet a little, I think I adapted and adjusted to the demands of English football," Emanuelson told the club's official website.

"I'd played in Italy and Holland – two very good leagues, as well as the Champions League. However, the football in this country is totally different – I don't think you can really prepare for the intensity. You just have to get in and play."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_midfielder_assesses_second_half_of_the_season_1_2210437

WhiteJC

Bent Rumours Resurface (Again)

Those Darren Bent for Fulham rumours refuse to go away.

This morning the Daily Express carries an article that infers that Martin Jol is keen to bring the out-of-favour Villa striker to Craven Cottage.

As for a fee, the paper insinuates that Fulham will try to land the 29 year-old for a knockdown fee of £4 million.

I reckon we might get a knockback for that fee, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320407#ixzz2UNk1olI3

WhiteJC

FRENCH FANCY DIM

NEWLY-PROMOTED Monaco are keen on Fulham strikerDimitar Berbatov, according to reports in France.

Money men behind the ambitious Ligue 1 club want to forge forward following their return to the French top flight.

Radamel Falcao, 27, of Atletico Madrid, and Manchester City's Carol Tevez, 29, have been wildly linked with the club but Berbatov, 32, is a more realistic target.

The Bulgarian scored 15 goalsfor Fulham last season, sparking questions over his future.

But Cottagers boss Martin Jol has no intention of letting Berba go, saying: "I expect him to stay."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/316672/?

WhiteJC

RYAN JOL-LY GOOD

FULHAM are interested in former Liverpool winger Ryan Babel who is out of contract with Ajax next month.

The Dutchman, 26, has resurrected his ailing career at the club where it all started for him and his return to form has alerted Cottagers boss Martin Jol.

Jol last week signed Derek Boateng, 30, from Ukrainian side Dnipro and Fernando Amorebieta, 28, from AthleticBilbao and is keen to add a left winger to his squad.

Dutchman Jol managed Ajax and hopes his links with the club will pave the way for any talks over Babel, whose four goals in 20 games has sparked talk of an international return.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/316673/?

WhiteJC

Memory Lane

Beginning his football journey in the same place that launched the careers of the likes of Alan Shearer, Michael Carrick and Peter Beardsley, serial promotion specialist Lee Clark was on solid foundations long before he joined Fulham.

A Newcastle United fan and player as a youngster, Clark made the move to SW6 after a high-profile exit from Sunderland to become a key performer in the early days of Mohamed Al Fayed's revolution at the Club. Indeed, whilst the midfielder just missed Kevin Keegan's impact at Craven Cottage, he caught the first showing at St James' Park.

"I began at Wallsend Boys Club, the famous starting block for some young players to come into the professional game," he told the official website. "I got into Newcastle as a boy and signed for them as a 14-year-old, then made my debut for the first team as a 17-year-old.

"It was a dream come true to join Newcastle and what made it even better was that I was part of a fantastic period in the club's history, getting promoted from Division One (now the Championship) in the way we did and then taking the Premiership by storm. We were always up there [finishing as runners-up for two seasons] and even in our first season in the top flight, we were challenging to win it and came third. It was a great time for the club. It was a rollercoaster ride and testament to the impact that Kevin had."

Things could have been ever better as, famously, Newcastle blew a 12-point lead in 1995/96 to see Manchester United come back to claim an unlikely title – something Clark admits wasn't easy to get over.

"Losing the title was awful. It was really hard to take," he said. "When you think you're going to win the biggest prize in England and then it's taken away from you, it's tough. I think the biggest difference was that we didn't have players who had won it before – only Barry Venison had done it before – and Manchester United had players who'd been there season in and season out, and I think that counted for a lot."

The following season, Clark opted for a new challenge: that of the Magpies' huge rivals Sunderland.

"It was a strange one in terms of me being a massive Newcastle fan and having played for Newcastle, but I just felt that I knew about the club and they were moving into the brand new Stadium Of Light," he said. "I went in with manager Peter Reid and he was absolutely brilliant. He outlined his football philosophy to me and what he wanted to do with the team. It was a no-brainer at the end of the day – I spoke to several other clubs, but I decided that I'd go to Sunderland.

"Funnily enough, the day I signed for them was also the same day that I got called up into the full international squad for the Le Tournoi tournament (June 1997) under Glenn Hoddle. Peter had mentioned to me before I signed that he would get me into the England squad, but I'm not sure he realised that it would happen so quickly!"

Unusually, for a player heading across the Tyne-Wear divide, he wasn't lambasted by either set of fans and helped the club to finish third and reach the Play-Offs in his first season; sealing promotion from Division One the following campaign in 1999.

"It was really special because we'd had the heartbreak of the previous year's defeat to Charlton Athletic in the Play-Off Final when we lost on penalties," he said. "We came back really strong and won the league with a record number of points at the time [105]. I got some light-hearted banter, as I used to go and watch Newcastle a lot of the time, but I was successful on the pitch for Sunderland so there wasn't anything untoward."

Regrettably, Clark's time at Sunderland would not see him face his former club in the Premiership as he was pictured in a derogatory t-shirt while supporting the Magpies at the 1999 FA Cup Final and left under a cloud that summer.

"I knew it was time to move on and had made the decision before the incident with the t-shirt," he said, while also admitting that he was "unprofessional" and that the incident is "the only regret that I have on my career". But his exit saw him given a chance to join former teammate Paul Bracewell at Fulham for £3m.

"I turned down some potential Premiership clubs at the time to join Fulham," he said. "I came to meet Fulham and was excited by the owner's plans. It wasn't just his plans, it was what was happening around the place and I could see what he was doing; bringing in a new type of player from a higher level.

"I was really excited when I joined and the first season we finished just outside the Play-Offs. Unfortunately the Manager lost his job, which was disappointing as he was someone I was close to, but then Jean Tigana came in and led the Fulham revolution. The Club took off and it was another period of excitement. We romped to the Division One title, broke a load of records on the way, and went on to have some very successful years in the Premier League."

In 2003/04, Clark took over the captaincy of the side and led them to their highest-ever finish – ninth – which included a stunning 3-1 win at Old Trafford in which he scored the opener. "We could've done even better," laments the midfielder. "We were unlucky to lose Louis Saha to Manchester United in January and if he'd stayed then we could've finished higher that season.

"Still, it was brilliant to be a part of the side at that time. The Chairman was always upgrading the training facilities and the ground – we obviously had that spell where we were having to groundshare with Queens Park Rangers which was a tough one for the fans but we understood the reasons why. It was a great time to be around the Club and I met some great people and made some real friends.

"I loved my time at Fulham. I loved the area where I was living and the people of the Club. I loved the support I got from the fans and it was a fantastic period in my life. People take it for granted now as Fulham are fixtures in the Premier League, but it's easy to forget where they were nine or 10 years before then when they were on the verge of being taken out of the Football League by finishing second bottom in the old Third Division."

Clark moved on when his contract expired in the summer of 2005 and headed back to Newcastle again, although this time it was to take a new step in his career.

"I went back up to Newcastle and took over as a player-coach, which was a great way to begin my coaching career and take my first steps," he says. "I helped out the reserve-team manager, then took over the job full-time when I hung up my boots. I got the experience and eventually moved to Norwich City as assistant manager to keep going on the managerial ladder. When I was offered the chance to manage Huddersfield Town, I took it with both hands.

"I had a fantastic time there, obviously culminating in breaking the Football League record of 43 games unbeaten, so I was gutted when I left because I was really enjoying my time at the club. But that's the game sometimes. I had a couple of months out of work, but then I was given a chance to join Birmingham City and it's a massive club."

Now one of the top young managers in the country, Clark still has his eyes on his former clubs and Fulham are certainly close to his heart.

"I look for Fulham's result all the time, alongside Newcastle," he added. "Me and the family have fantastic memories of the Club and whenever I've gone back to Craven Cottage I've always been treated with respect and have had a great time.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/26/memory-lane?

WhiteJC

Jamie Carragher rues Liverpool's failure to sign Damien Duff
Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher rues the club's failure to sign Damien Duff and Cristiano Ronaldo in the past

Jamie Carragher has revealed that he felt Liverpool should have signed Damien Duff before the Republic of Ireland international moved to Chelsea in 2003.

The 35-year-old retired from professional football last Sunday following a 1-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers after a decorated 16-year career with the Reds.

Carragher witnessed plenty of successful signings – and flops – throughout his spell at Anfield, with the centre-half failing to end the club's wait for the Premier League crown.

But of all the potential arrivals, Carragher named Fulham winger Duff, who was heavily linked with the Reds while at Blackburn Rovers before joining Chelsea, as the player who got away.

"At the time, I thought we missed out on Damien Duff," Carragher told Liverpool's website.

"Houllier should have signed him but instead he went for Diouf and Cheyrou.

"I think Duff would have given us the pace and width that we needed.

"Duff ended up going to Chelsea and for two or three seasons, was really influential there."

Former Liverpool assistant Phil Thompson claimed in his autobiography that the 18-time English champions were offered Real Madrid star Ronaldo before his move to Old Trafford.

And Carragher believes the Portugal international would have been a big hit at Anfield.

"Phil Thompson always talks about Cristiano Ronaldo. I'm sure he'd have done great for us."

Carragher scored five goals in 737 appearances for Liverpool after making his debut in 1997, winning the Champions League, two FA Cups and three League Cups

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/05/jamie-carragher-liverpool-damien-duff-cristiano-ronaldo/?

WhiteJC

Chasing Buckley

With very little cash, reportedly, ear-marked for transfers this summer, Martin Jol is having to scour the bargain-buckets.

Having already landed Fernando Amorebieta and Derek Boateng on free transfers, the Sunday red-top gossip has us taking a long hard look at Will Buckley of Brighton and Hove Albion.

Buckley, a forward, can play on either flank and at twenty-three years of age has undoubted potential that can be developed.

But, and it is a big but, Brighton would be reluctant to see, therefore, if Jol wants the player he may have to offer Brighton some serious cash.

One to watch out for this summer though!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320423#ixzz2UOG59R3j

WhiteJC

'No one is pressing Joe Hart, it's not healthy,' says Gordon Banks

Gordon Banks, widely regarded as England's greatest goalkeeper, is concerned by the lack of depth among his potential successors, for which he blames the number of foreign keepers in the Premier League and difficulties brought about by modern footballs.

While Joe Hart is the undisputed No 1, other contenders such as Robert Green, Scott Carson, David Stockdale, John Ruddy and Fraser Forster have been unable to establish themselves.

Banks, who won 73 caps and the 1966 World Cup, says: "We're very thin on the ground. Joe Hart's a good goalkeeper but there's nobody pressing him, and that's not a good thing.

"I'm not exaggerating, when I played you could count maybe five goalkeepers that could have come in and done a good job. That's why every game I had to keep on my toes.

"I don't think we're giving our youngsters that are coming through the academies a chance to play when they're young. I can't understand that. Foreigners are coming in and taking their positions.

"The other thing I think is detrimental is the balls. The ball is very light. Think of a 12-year-old lad who's out there kicking a ball about and goes in goal and they're knocking goals past him while he's being told, 'Get hold of it, you're rubbish'. He now says, 'Sod this, I'm going to play out[field]'.

"You can see it on television, a shot coming this way and suddenly goes that way. I saw Petr Cech make a save from one shot, he's diving to his left and he has to lift his leg up to kick it clear, that's the ball moving in the air. It's detrimental, it's not helping the goalkeepers."

Banks regards Cech as the best in the Premier League and believes Asmir Begovic at his old club Stoke is more reliable than Manchester United's David de Gea.

"I think Begovic is excellent, one of the best. He's only 25 and he does look very good in the air and on his line. De Gea has come on, but for me, on crosses and through- balls, you can't tell when he's going to make a mistake."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/no-one-is-pressing-joe-hart-its-not-healthy-says-gordon-banks-8632455.html

WhiteJC

Stoke contact Mark Hughes about managerial vacancy

The Potters reportedly see the former QPR boss as a good fit at the Britannia Stadium, where the resignation of Tony Pulis by mutual consent has attracted a number of applicants

Stoke City are eyeing Mark Hughes as the successor to departed manager Tony Pulis.

The Potters' hierarchy apparently see Hughes as a good fit for the club, and have made their interest known to the Welshman, though they have not ruled out other candidates, with Wigan boss Roberto Martinez also believed to be under consideration.

However, the 49-year-old former Manchester United and Chelsea forward, who was sacked by QPR in November, appears to be in pole position to fill the vacancy at the Britannia Stadium created when Pulis resigned on Tuesday after seven years at the club.

The striker who also enjoyed spells at Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Southampton, Everton and Blackburn has enjoyed a somewhat mixed career in management so far, having begun it unusually in 1999 by taking charge of the Wales national team before gaining experience at club level.

His creditable performance managing his country earned him the Blackburn job in 2004, and four years later he moved to Manchester City, but was dismissed after 18 months and replaced by Roberto Mancini.

Hughes then spent one season as manager of Fulham before resigning, saying: "As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences".

He was appointed as QPR manager in January 2012 and helped them avoid relegation last season, but was sacked three months into the 2012-13 season after 12 games without a win - the club's worst start to a Premier League campaign.

Stoke are expected to begin formal talks with several managerial candidates within the next few days.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/25/4003595/-?

WhiteJC

Two horse race for the Everton job?

Since Moyes' decision to head to Manchester United, the media have been in overdrive about who will succeed the Scot. Names such as Mark Hughes, Neil Lennon, Malky Mackay and even internal appointments have been mentioned. The betting agencies have also been in overdrive naming a new favourite every day. However, after a fortnight, the list has seemingly been whittled down to two names, FC Porto manager Vitor Pereira and Wigan manager Roberto Martinez.

A decision could be made as early as this week, with both candidates having been set a deadline of Monday or Tuesday to make a decision on their futures.

It is unclear who is the number 1 target for Kenwright, however, if Kenwright were to listen to the fans as he promised, then Porto manager Vitor Pereira would be the overwhelming favourite amongst the fans, given his successful spell with Porto, where he has only lost 1 league game in the last 2 seasons, resulting in back to back titles for Porto. There is a history between Pereira and Everton, with the Porto manager visiting Goodison Park late last year, which sparked rumours of a potential pre-contract agreement which was denied by Everton officials. Additionally, it is also noted that Pereira and his agent were in London this past Monday meeting a club in the top half of the table, presumably Everton.

Despite Pereira being the fans favourite to succeed Moyes. Some fans do fancy Roberto Martinez to replace Moyes. Despite being relegated with Wigan this season, the Spaniard managed to lead his Wigan side to FA Cup glory, something that Everton under David Moyes has failed to do in his 11yrs in charge.

It is a relative toss up between the two, with both having positives and negatives, and it will be a gamble whoever is in charge, personally, I feel that Pereira is the man for the job, as his CV with Porto is impressive, and he is the type of manager that Kenwright is looking for, in regards to working on a budget. However saying that, he is still unproven in this league, something Martinez is not.

Whoever the manager may be for Everton, whether it be Martinez, Pereira or perhaps another candidate, the fans should and hopefully will give their full support to the new manager, as it is vitally important that the new man settles in quickly and leads us to another successful season and hopefully Europe, something that has eluded Everton the past few seasons.

Read more: http://www.everton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320426#ixzz2UOXoBogh

WhiteJC

Fulham weigh up Brighton winger Buckley as Jol presses ahead with plans to rebuild

Fulham are considering a transfer for Brighton winger Will Buckley as manager Martin Jol prepares to overhaul his squad for next season.

Buckley has impressed playing on both of Brighton's wings within manager Gus Poyet's attractive, attacking style of play and is consequently viewed as a suitable signing as Fulham look to rebuild their ageing squad.

Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele were last summer sold at the same time Danny Murphy left as his contract expired, and with Damien Duff nearing the end of his career Fulham's midfield is now viewed as their weakness.

Talented: Will Buckley has been one of Brighton's best players over the last two seasons

To that end, Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone, who came close to joining Jol in January, is again a transfer target and Ghana's Derek Boateng has already been signed, though given Darren Bent has also been targeted and defender Fernando Amorebieta is another recruit, next season's starting line up will almost certainly have a significantly different look.

Incoming? Fulham have also targeted Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone and Aston Villa's Darren Bent

A move for Buckley or any other target could, of course, be dependent on the future of Jol. The club had a disappointing end to his second season in charge and whether he is to remain as manager is still uncertain. Brighton's Poyet, incidentally, is among those considered a potential replacement should he leave.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2331139/Fulham-want-sign-Brighton-winger-Will-Buckley.html#ixzz2UOYKYskf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

cebu

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 26, 2013, 08:32:18 AM

Sascha Riether, The Epitome Of German Efficiency
by FPTAYLOR on MAY 25, 2013

This headline - the epitome of racial/national stereotypes in Brit "journalism"?