more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (31/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 31, 2013, 04:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Frei hopes to come back stronger

Fulham midfielder Kerim Frei has vowed to impress next season following an injury hit 2012/13 campaign. Frei made 25 appearances for the Cottagers in the 2011/12 season but featured just eight times last term due to a succession of injury problems. The Turkish midfielder feels he is close to full fitness and hopes to establish himself as a regular at Fulham next year. He told the club's website: "On a personal level, I don't think it was a great season. I had two injuries and that set me back - it was difficult to get back to the level that I wanted to be at. But every day I feel a lot better, sharper, stronger and quicker." The 19-year-old, who has been included in the Turkey squad for the friendlies against Latvia and Slovenia, added: "I want to start the 2013/14 season strong, and get back to where I was. I want to be running out at Craven Cottage again and playing my part. I think I've shown that I can compete at the top level, but I know I now have to do that on a regular basis. "My number one target is to break into the First Team again and impress the Manager and coaches over the summer months - I want to be in their plans for the new season."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/frei-hopes-to-come-back-stronger-1595389.html?

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace star desperate to overcome Fulham disappointment next season

Former Fulham midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi can't wait to have another crack at the Premier League next season with Crystal Palace.

The Eagles sealed their return to the top flight with Monday's extra-time play-off final victory over Watford at Wembley.

South Africa international Dikgacoi was forced off with a calf injury after just 17 minutes, but he is already looking forward to getting his fitness back and cementing his place in Ian Holloway's side next season.

It will be the 28-year-old's second stint in the Premier League after he struggled to make an impact at previous club Fulham, where he made just 13 top flight appearances in 18 months before joining Palace.

Dikgacoi says he did not get the chances he wanted with the Cottagers, but he is hoping to put that right with the Eagles next season.

"When I was at Fulham I didn't play as many games as I was expecting to play," he said.

"But we've done it again today with Palace. I'm hoping to play as many games as I can.

"It's just up to me to work hard, to convince the manager and cement my place in the starting XI for next season."

He added: "Everyone is excited. I think overall we deserved it. We have worked hard this season, the guys have shown much commitment, our supporters have been fantastic, so I think we deserved it."

Dikgacoi was back out on the pitch at the end of normal time at Wembley, passing on words of encouragement to his team-mates.

"Everyone, even the guys who weren't in the team, they all went on there to encourage everyone on the pitch," he said.

"We have a good team spirit, the guys have shown today. I think that also added value, rallying behind everyone today.

"We always had that belief. Even when we didn't get automatic promotion we still had the belief that we were going to finish in the play-off positions.

"After we beat Brighton [in the play-off semi-final] again we had belief that we could beat Watford today."

Dikgacoi also praised Manchester United-bound winger Wilfried Zaha after his dazzling display helped seal promotion on his last appearance for Palace.

"He has been fantastic," said Dikgacoi. "Many thanks to him, he helped the team a lot. Even today he worked very hard. "Many players when they get such opportunities, after they sign the contract they start to become sluggish, they seem not to care.

"But he has been focused, working hard in each and every game."

http://www.london24.com/sport/championship/crystal-palace/crystal_palace_star_desperate_to_overcome_fulham_disappointment_next_season_1_2216393

WhiteJC

Hughes and Stoke a match made in heaven?

Mark Hughes famously walked out on Fulham in 2011, claiming the Cottagers didn't match his ambition. Six months later he wound up at QPR, a recently promoted club struggling to retain their Premier League status. Ironically, Stoke City, a club Tony Pulis struggled in vain to get into the top half of the table, could be a perfect fit for Hughes.

Both Hughes and Stoke are entities with a point to prove. Hughes has many doubters of his managerial ability to silence – a fair share of these now coming from his own support, who question the judgement of those running their club. His hand in the debacle that was QPR's relegation certainly leaves a black mark on his reputation that may prove hard to wipe clean. When you add that to the disloyalty he showed Fulham after only one season, the Welshman is not exactly the hottest of properties.

However, Stoke City have developed itchy feet of their own lately. With fans growing restless over the lack of progress, both in style and in substance, they felt a 'change of direction' was needed. Cynical snipers have dubbed this change of direction a downward slope to the Championship, but under Pulis they were already sailing too close to that wind for comfort.

It is possible that both Stoke and Hughes are meeting at the right time. Eager to put the past behind them, one successful season will render the current debate over Hughes' suitability meaningless. Following a football club is notoriously the most fickle of pursuits – arguably owning one even more so.

The sound-bites provided by Hughes in his press conference shed light on a man determined to learn from his mistakes, as he pledged to 'walk before I run'. Stoke have been walking for many years now. Is Hughes the man to turn that into a run? One thing is certain - Roque Santa Cruz will be sitting by the phone, hoping Hughes renews his obsession with the Paraguayan.

For the naysayers, it is also a dream appointment. Stoke and Hughes being involved in a relegation struggle could prove what many have been waiting for - but they might be waiting a while, as Hughes could yet prove his doubters wrong in a more solid and robust environment than at QPR. It is surely his last chance at the top level.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2013/5/30/hughes-and-stoke-a-match-made-in-heaven.html?

WhiteJC

Craig Bellamy on... that golf club, John Arne Riise and what really happened in Portugal

In the first fascinating extract from his autobiography, Bellamy tells how Liverpool's infamous Algarve trip descended into chaos

Tee hee: Bellamy's gof-themed goal celebration against Barcelona after his Riise bust-up
Getty

Craig Bellamy's autobiography, GoodFella, lays bare one of the most notorious incidents in recent English football history.

In February 2007, Liverpool travelled to Portugal for a five-day training camp to prepare for their Champions League second round tie against Barcelona.

On the last night on the Algarve, Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez allowed the players out for a meal but it was disrupted by an argument between Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise, whose nickname was Ginge...

Ginge was a nice enough lad.

He was a bit of a child. He was insanely ­competitive. If there was a competition to see who could ping a shot against the crossbar, he was always mad keen to win it.

People used to make a joke of it and say: 'I bet Ginge could do that'.

That night at Vale do Lobo, I was sitting with Steve Finnan, who was my ­room-mate, Sami Hyypia and Ginge.

I told Ginge he had to sing a song. I might have said it a couple of times. He said he didn't want to do it.

I mentioned it again and he snapped. He got s****y about it. He got up and started shouting. "Listen," he yelled, "I'm not singing and I've had enough of you banging on about it."

Sami told me to ignore him and Ginge left fairly soon afterwards. But as the evening wore on and I had more to drink, it started eating away at me.

At that time, the way I was, I didn't know how to control my emotions if someone disrespected me in front of the rest of the players.

I am one of the worst people on drink. It doesn't agree with me.

After a while, I told Finnan we were going.

I told him I wanted to sort it out with Ginge.

"I'm not having that," I said to Finny.

"What are you on about?" he said.

"That special one f****** p****, he ain't speaking to me like that," I said.

Finny told me to ignore him. He told me to forget it and go to bed.

"I'm not ignoring him," I said. "I'm going to go to his room."

Finny told me to calm down.

"No, let's go to our room," he said.

He was trying to humour me, like a warder with a madman.

We did go back to our room but I still couldn't let it go.

We had a shared lounge with bedrooms that were upstairs.

Our golf clubs were in the lounge. I'd got one out as I was stewing over what Ginge had done.

It was an eight iron.

I started taking a few practice swings with it.

"Let's go and see him now," I said.

"I just whacked him across the backside ... if I'd taken a proper swing, I would have hit the ceiling with my backlift"
Action

I just wanted to wind Ginge up a bit.

He had tried it on with me once or twice in training. He had given me a little nudge in the back.

I'd just look at him and think 'F*** off, Ginge.'

So we got round to his room and I knocked on the door. There was no answer.

So I tried the door and it was open. I let myself in and turned the light on.

Ginge was in bed.

He was facing away from me and covering his eyes with his hands because the lights had been switched on.

I just whacked him across the ­backside with the club.

You couldn't really call it a swing. It was just a thwack, really.

If I'd taken a proper swing, I would have hit the ceiling with my backlift.

Finny, by the way, was hiding behind the door at that point.

Ginge panicked.

He curled up in a ball with a blanket.

"You ever speak to me like that in front of people again," I told him, "I will wrap this round your head."

"Listen, I didn't mean it like that," he said.

"Yes you f****** did," I barked at him.

"No, no, I didn't," he insisted.

"Yes, you did," I told him again. "That's a couple of times you've pulled that f****** stunt on me and it won't be happening any more."

I was warming to my theme now, like people who have had too much to drink usually do.

I threatened him a few times.

"And if you've got a problem with any of this, come and see me in my room tomorrow," I told him. "Don't go moaning about it."

I look back at what I did now and I cringe.

It was pathetic. It was stupidity of the highest level. It was drunken, bullying behaviour.

Eventually, I left.

As Finny and I were going back to our room, the coach pulled up outside and all the players poured off it.

They bumped into us in the corridor and, not knowing anything of what had just gone on, piled into our lounge.

It had been a big night. Nobody even noticed the golf club in my hand. Or if they did, they didn't mention it.

So the night out continued.

The lounge got wrecked basically.

Sofas were turned upside down, lampshades got knocked off lamps, somebody even chucked a plate at one stage and it split someone's head open.

By the time I went to bed, that room was not a pretty sight.

The next thing I knew, Finnan was knocking on my door.

"The Gaffer and Pako are downstairs," he said. 'Oh, s**t', I thought. 'There are a whole number of reasons why they might be here'.

I went downstairs. It was not a pretty picture.

Rafa and his assistant, Pako Ayesteran, were sitting on a sofa that they must have had to pull upright themselves.

Rafa - the most ordered, controlling man I knew - surrounded by utter chaos, by a scene that screamed out loss of control.

There were plates and lampshades everywhere.

Rafa looked at me and told me to put some shoes on before I cut my feet on some debris.

"John Arne Riise has just come to my room to say you attacked him with a golf club," Rafa said.

"I wouldn't say I attacked him, exactly," I said.

I gave him my version. I was already full of remorse.

Rafa looked bemused. It turned out he had had quite a night himself.

A little while later, Dudek appeared with grazes down the side of his face.

"What the f*** happened to Jerzy?" I asked.

Save me: Dudek was bailed out (literally) by boss Benitez

After I had left the previous night, things had got out of hand.

Jerzy had refused to leave the bar and the police were called and he had ended up in the cells. Rafa had to go and bail him out.

I actually felt relieved.

'That's miles worse than my one,' I thought as I stared over at Jerzy. 'That might save me.'

That delusion didn't last long...

Click here for Bellamy on the day Shearer vowed to knock him out

Click here for the day Liverpool fan Bellamy agreed to join Everton

GRAB YOUR COPY Craig Bellamy: GoodFella, written and adapted by Oliver Holt, RRP £18,99, is published on Monday, June 3. Mirror readers can buy it for the discounted price of £15.99 from mirrorcollection.co.uk or by calling 0845 143 0001.

Craig Bellamy is donating all his proceeds to the Craig Bellamy Foundation - visit  www.craigbellamyfoundation.org for details.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/craig-bellamy-autobiography-golf-club-1922686#ixzz2UpzpylC0
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Jol revives Stekelenburg deal and closes in on £3m Roma keeper

Fulham are closing in on a £3million deal for Roma goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

Manager Martin Jol narrowly failed to sign the Holland keeper on the final day of the January transfer window but has revived the move.

Holland international: Stekelenburg had wanted to join compatriot Jol at Fulham

Negotiations are at an advanced stage, with the former Ajax No 1 due in London next week for a medical and to sign terms.

Stekelenburg will replace Australian Mark Schwarzer, who is out of contract this summer and has refused new terms.

Declining: Fulham need a long-term replacement for Mark Schwarzer

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2333591/Maarten-Stekelenburg--Fulham-close-3m-deal.html#ixzz2Uq0Rrh67
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Maarten Stekelenburg to undergo Fulham medical next week?

Roma goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg will travel to London next week for a medical with Fulham, according to a report.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol is searching for a replacement for Mark Schwarzer, who is out of contract this summer and unwilling to sign an extension.

Giallorossi director Franco Baldini was in London on Wednesday to negotiate a fee for the 30-year-old stopper.

According to the Daily Mail, the Dutch international is now on the verge of a move to Craven Cottage, with talks between the two clubs believed to be at an advanced stage.

Stekelenburg, who has 54 caps for his country, moved to the Italian capital from Ajax two years ago, but has struggled with form and injury.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/stekelenburg-to-undergo-fulham-medical_86859.html

bigglesfc

Home » Football News » Premier League »
Fulham in for Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
Date: 31st May 2013 at 7:17 am
Written by FFC News Desk | Comments (0)Fulham boss Martin Jol is reportedly interested in signing Ipswich Town's transfer-listed winger Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

Tractor Boys chief Mick McCarthy revealed last month that the 22-year-old, who has scored eight goals in 70 games since joining the club from Arsenal and has a year remaining on his current deal, could leave on a free transfer as he looks to free up some space on the Portman Road wage bill for a summer squad rebuilding job.

It is being suggested that Jol will make a move to give Emmanuel-Thomas a chance to prove himself in the Premier League, with a reported Craven Cottage source claiming that the Dutch tactician has already discussed a summer transfer for the player.

The source was quoted in the East Anglian Daily Times as saying: "Fulham like the look of Jay and are considering making a move, although they would not be prepared to pay a fee.

"He has been in and out of the Ipswich team but, with the extra finances clubs like Fulham have from being in the Premier League, they would be prepared to take a chance on a player who they feel can turn a game."

Luke

Premier League: Fulham winger Kerim Frei wants more action at Craven Cottage

Kerim Frei: Wants to re-establish himself in the Fulham side

Teenager Kerim Frei wants to re-establish himself in the Fulham side after a disappointing campaign.

After an impressive breakthrough season, the 19-year-old winger featured on just eight occasions last term.

Niggling injuries and a loan spell at Cardiff limited his playing time at Craven Cottage and Frei wants to prove his worth to Martin Jol's side once again.

"On a personal level, I don't think it was a great season," the Turkey international told the club's official website.

"I had two injuries and that set me back - it was difficult to get back to the level that I wanted to be at. But every day I feel a lot better, sharper, stronger and quicker.

"It's unfortunate that we now have the break because all I want to do is play football and show what I can do again.

"My number one target is to break into the first team again and impress the manager and coaches over the summer months - I want to be in their plans for the new season."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8743270/Premier-League-Fulham-winger-Kerim-Frei-wants-more-action-at-Craven-Cottage
Here's Davies..... It's on, It is on!!

WhiteJC

Fulham interested in Ipswich Town winger

Premier League side Fulham are considering offering Town's transfer-listed winger, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, a dramatic route out of Portman Road.

The enigmatic 22-year-old was deemed surplus to requirements by Blues boss Mick McCarthy last month and could be allowed to leave on a free transfer, with Town looking to free up their wage bill to bring in new faces.

The talented Londoner has scored eight goals in 70 games since joining the Blues from Arsenal, but has failed to be a consistent performer, leaving fans, McCarthy and his predecessor, Paul Jewell, frustrated on more than one occasion.

Despite this, the Cottagers – managed by Martin Jol – have sounded out Ipswich and the player's representatives, having watched the former Cardiff and Doncaster loanee on several occasions last season.

A move back to the Capital may suit Emmanuel-Thomas, who has a year left on his deal at Portman Road, and a source close to Craven Cottage said: "Fulham like the look of Jay and are considering making a move, although they would not be prepared to pay a fee.

"He has been in and out of the Ipswich team but, with the extra finances clubs like Fulham have from being in the Premier League, they would be prepared to take a chance on a player who they feel can turn a game."

The winger was a loan target for several teams in the January transfer window, but McCarthy refused to sanction a move – a decision that reaped its rewards for a short spell towards the end of the season, with Emmanuel-Thomas making crucial contributions in the home wins against Leicester, Bolton and Leeds.

However, we believe McCarthy made his decision on the futures of the winger, transfer-listed striker Michael Chopra, and the now released Lee Martin, after the Blues' final home game of the season against Birmingham.

The trio failed to make positive impacts as late substitutes, Martin receiving a caution, and JET and Chopra were omitted completely from the final game of the season.

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/latest-news/fulham_interested_in_ipswich_town_winger_1_2216865

WhiteJC

Kebe Linked to Cottage Move

With it being decreed that Fulham might have to scour the bargain buckets for new recruits this summer, one name is being touted as a possible signing by the red-top press.

Apparently, Fulham are looking at bringing Jimmy Kebe to Craven Cottage.

Kebe, a 29 year-old winger, was part of the squad that suffered relegation from the Premier League last season and it is being inferred that he would welcome a move back to the Premier League.

We`ll endeavor to keep an eye on this one.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320780#ixzz2UsTaP6b2

WhiteJC

Agent denies deal for Fulham target

Maarten Stekelenburg's agent, Rob Jansen, has insisted that no move has been agreed for the Fullham target.

Reports have suggested that the Whites have agreed a deal to bring the Dutch international to the club from Serie A side Roma.

But Jansen moved swiftly to deny these claims.

"Maarten to Fulham? At the moment there is nothing. It's still early, we have to wait," he told Calciomercato.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/agent_denies_deal_for_fulham_target_1_2217473

WhiteJC

Keeper Deal Moves Closer!

Speculation, in the morning press, infers that Fulham are set to add a classy goalkeeper to their squad.

With the futures of Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale far from settled, the club are on the verge of wrapping up a £3 million deal for the AS Roma 30 year-old Dutch international keeper, Maarten Stekelenburg

We`ll report further if anything concrete is forthcoming from the club.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320783#ixzz2UsU0ofbW

WhiteJC

Fulham Move Closer Towards Capturing Maarten Stelekenburg From Roma

Fulham are inching closer to a deal for AS Roma goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, but the Cottagers' bid is yet to be accepted by the Serie A club, according to Dutch daily De Telegraaf.

Stekelenburg has had previous experience of trying for a Craven Cottage contract, with a proposed January transfer window move falling through while he was on the plane to London.

While he claimed later that he was happy to continue with Roma, he has maintained his desire to play in the Premier League.

With Mark Schwarzer out of contract in the summer for Fulham, and refusing new terms, manager Martin Jol's "top priority" Stekelenburg could well find himself buying another ticket towards south west London.

Pending Roma's acceptance of an offer, Stekelenburg is expected to be called up on a four-year deal with the former Europa League finalists.

The Holland international spent a decade with Ajax, making 282 appearances before moving to Roma in 2011.

He has since played 55 times for the capital club, but his strained relationship with former coach Zdenek Zeman restricted his playing time this season.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/05/31/fulham-move-closer-towards-capturing-maarten-stelekenburg-from-roma/87743/#Q9mxHLsL66cb9YrP.99

WhiteJC

Fulham near cut-price deal for Netherlands No 1

Cottagers tried, and failed, to land the Dutchman at the turn of the year.

Fulham are on the verge of signing highly-rated AS Roma keeper Maarten Stekelenburg for next season, says the Daily Mail.

The experienced Netherlands international has been in the Italian capital for two years now, having signed for the Serie A giants from Ajax for 6 million euros in August 2011.

However, it appears as though Fuham head coach Martin Jol has managed to persuade the 30-year-old to swap Rome for London when the transfer window finally swings open into action once more on July 1.

The Cottagers actually came very close to bringing the shot stopper to Craven Cottage in the recent January transfer window, only for the deal to fall through at the very last minute.

But there are not expected to be any complications this time around, with the Dutchman contracted to the Romans until the summer of 2015 and so he will cost the west London club somewhere in the region of £3m to purchase.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/fulham-near-cut-price-deal-for-netherlands-no-1/121269/

WhiteJC

Fulham starlet Kerim Frei expected to start for Turkey against Slovenia

Abdullah Avci is expected to select an inexperienced starting XI as Turkey prepare to take on Slovenia in tonights international match.

Kerim Frei is expected to make his first start for the Turkey. The Fulham starlet will also be participating in the FIFA U20 World Cup 2013 this summer.

TURKEY-SLOVENYA:

Stadium: Schüco Arena
Kick-Off: 18:00 GMT
Referee: Marco Fritz

Turkey: Cenk, Veysel, Gökhan Zan, Ömer, Hasan Ali, Sefa, M.Topal, M.Ekici, Selçuk, Frei, Mevlüt
Manager: Abdullah Avci

Slovenia: Handovic, Brecko, Cesar, Ilic, Jokic, Birsa, Kampl, Krhin, Kurtic, Dedic, Matavz
Manager: Srečko Katanec

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=4686

WhiteJC

Fulham Linked With Ipswich's JET Again

Fulham have once more been linked with a move for Ipswich enigma Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

Vital Football revealed Martin Jol's interest in the 22-former Arsenal forward in January and Mick McCarthy's assertion that JET could leave has prompted talks between agents.

It may be that JET will unleash his undoubted ability back in the Premier League but he is too much of luxury player for Ipswich, especially in the new campaign, which will be far more about muck and nettles.

Read more: http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320798#ixzz2UsVK2zF9

WhiteJC

Fulham close in on Dutch goalkeeper

Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg is due in London next week to finalise a move to Fulham.

Manager Martin Jol tried to sign £3million-rated Stekelenburg, 30, from Roma in January.

Mark Schwarzer is out of contract and has turned down the new terms offered to him, forcing Jol to revive his interest in Stekelenburg.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-close-in-on-dutch-goalkeeper-8639629.html