News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A question for the more experienced supporters.

Started by valdeingruo, June 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jms

Arthur

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on June 02, 2013, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: andersons11 on June 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM
For those supporters who have seen generations of Fulham players, who do you think would be able to make it in todays top flight. I know there are certain things that you just cant compare from when they did play to now, but please give an honest summary of why they would. Obviously names like Haynes, Jezzard and Davies will probably make the list, but who else would?

For example: The team in 1967 which played out a 2-2 draw with Manchester Utd in front of 47,290 of us at Craven Cottage! Macedo; Cohen (just won a world cup winner’s medal), Robson, Dempsey, Callaghan; Brown, Haynes, Pearson; Conway, Clarke, Barrett. All of them! Each and every one had quality, character, heart and consistency in their play.

On the one hand, my memory makes me think that Cohen, Dempsey, Callaghan, Robson, Haynes, Conway, Clarke and Barrett would have got into last season's team (with Macedo rivalling Schwarzer for the goalkeeper's jersey); on the other hand, we suffered a dismal relegation just twelve months later and, of these players, all but Cohen and Robson were part of that side.

Tonywa

I'm certain that the Maestro would have made it in any era, as would Graham Leggatt who had everything - technique, pace, great finishing ability, bravery  and the ability to play down the middle as well as on either wing. 

ron

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on June 02, 2013, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: andersons11 on June 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM
For those supporters who have seen generations of Fulham players, who do you think would be able to make it in todays top flight. I know there are certain things that you just cant compare from when they did play to now, but please give an honest summary of why they would. Obviously names like Haynes, Jezzard and Davies will probably make the list, but who else would?

For example: The team in 1967 which played out a 2-2 draw with Manchester Utd in front of 47,290 of us at Craven Cottage! Macedo; Cohen (just won a world cup winner's medal), Robson, Dempsey, Callaghan; Brown, Haynes, Pearson; Conway, Clarke, Barrett. All of them! Each and every one had quality, character, heart and consistency in their play.

I was there too! As I remember, we had to buy tickets for that game in advance, and they charged us five bob for the terraces instead of the usual four! Daylight robbery. I mean, twenty-five pence for a game like that ??!!

LBNo11

...alongside BishopsParkFantastic and ron I was at the 1967 Easter weekend match against Man Ure, in fact it was my first ever live game. Amongst all the stars on display there was one player who for me could easily rub shoulders with the great - and he also scored that game, the finest left winger I  have ever seen at Fulham, he would easily walk into the current team, Les Barrett, he wore the number 11 shirt you know...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Vinnieffc

As a fan I only date back to the early 80's, however I think Gerry Peyton would probably make it in the Prem. I also have fond memories of Tony Gale and Chris Guthrie, but am not sure they would hack it in this day and age..

David Allen Crankshaw

I was also at the 2-2 draw with Manchester United in 1967. Standing at the Putney End and the expression 'squashed like sardines' springs to mind.

mouse

Allan Clarke definately,of course Haynes and Cohen.
Two I would like to chuck at you are...........Graham Leggett and unsung Stan Brown.