News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A question for the more experienced supporters.

Started by valdeingruo, June 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

For those supporters who have seen generations of Fulham players, who do you think would be able to make it in todays top flight. I know there are certain things that you just cant compare from when they did play to now, but please give an honest summary of why they would. Obviously names like Haynes, Jezzard and Davies will probably make the list, but who else would?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Holders

Mullery and Allan Clarke would be my nominations.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

cebu

Peabody

Certainly Jim Taylor (an England Centre Half) and possibly Len Quested, who was a very energetic Half Back. Jim Langley and Graham Leggett. It truly was a different game back then, so it is difficult to make a good assessment.

Rupert

The squad of 1982 needs mentioning, one of the great "What ifs" of Fulham's history. Some of them (Ray Houghton, Ivor, Gerry Peyton) went on to prove themselves at the top level, and both Peyton and Houghton would be a good shout for today's football, but I do wonder how many others might have made it bigger than they did if MacDonald had managed to keep that squad together and win promotion.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

SuffolkWhite

I agree with Rupert,  the likes of Paul Parker would do it for sure, great team they were.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bulgariawhite

The game and the rules have changed so much. So whether any would cope would be hard for them. Haynes would probaly be marked and kicked out of the game, but I think Cohen would have coped, and maybe Langley. Les Strong maybe and Stan Brown would have given what they got. Overall I would say none. The game now has changed so much, I doubt any of our legends would fancy it. Saying that Hayles still fancies the chance at 50 years old!!!!

cmg

An interesting, if impossible, question. The game has changed so much - the surface it's played on, the ball it's played with, the pace of the game and the interpretation of the laws.

I rather think that genius would find its way at any time. So I would say Haynes, who had the kind of skill that is still highly prized today, would still be a top player, despite today's greater speed and closer attention, perhaps more suited to Italy or Spain (I'm thinking 'Andrea Pirlo' here.)

Both Cohen and Langley were fast for their day, but would be outstripped, I'd say, today. And, although Jim Langley was noted for his fairness and sportsmanship, I doubt that his style of tackling would be acceptable to today's refs who are more concerned with the look of the thing are than with the timing of the tackle.

Mullery's all-action style would probably find a place in today's game as a defensive mid.

What changes would Alan Clarke have to make to his game to be the same potent force today?

Goalkeepers are given so much protection these days that Tony Macedo would think he was playing friendlies. Wonderful shot-stopper in the modern style, brave as they come. Is the wobbling beach-ball used today more or less difficult to deal with than the greasy, mud-heavy, lace-up leather of the past?

I agree, though, with Mr Peabody. A quick winger, can play on either flank, durable, can play as striker if required, good for 15 goals a season. How much would a Graham Leggat be worth today?

valdeingruo

I really appreciate all of the feedback that is coming through, I know it is a hard question but its great to see some of our legends scrutinized like some of todays players. It would be interesting to see some of the comments of posters if this board was around then.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

cmg

Quote from: andersons11 on June 02, 2013, 02:23:47 PM
It would be interesting to see some of the comments of posters if this board was around then.

They'd be slagging off Haynes for being lazy and moaning at his colleagues and accusing Eddie Lowe of being an accident waiting to happen.

RidgeRider

I love threads like these. I think we have had this question asked sometime in the past but it is always interesting to revisit. Gives us newbies a better appreciation of the players of the past the more importantly the posters who were around when these players were wearing Fulham kits.  :54:

sunburywhite

George Best would stand a good chance and that Robert Moore looked a good player but a little slow
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

grandad

Be thankful for Senderos, Riise & Rodallega. We had Derek Lampe, Robin Lawler & Alf Ssokes.
Where there's a will there's a wife

alfie

Quote from: bulgariawhite on June 02, 2013, 01:31:11 PM
The game and the rules have changed so much. So whether any would cope would be hard for them. Haynes would probaly be marked and kicked out of the game, but I think Cohen would have coped, and maybe Langley. Les Strong maybe and Stan Brown would have given what they got. Overall I would say none. The game now has changed so much, I doubt any of our legends would fancy it. Saying that Hayles still fancies the chance at 50 years old!!!!
[/quote

He would have to learn what that nice mr Bale does and throw himself down just in case he may be tackled.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Players can and have adapted. So the change in the game and the way it is played may not be such a problem. Fitness levels have improved beyond measure but I am sure many players could have made the team today. Although the great tacklers like Fred Callaghan would have been shocked at the change in the rules.

Players who lack pace is interesting. Like Berbatov, it is not so much pace as space. Berbatov seems to find lots of it despite being slower than he was. Haynes, like Berbatov, had a quick football brain and so pace was never an issue. Alan Mullery, Bobby Moore, Tony Gale could all have a chance in the top flight today. All our top keepers. Macedo, Peyton were just able to read shots and would be ok today.

So I am sure there are many players who could at least make the squad today when they were at their height. Now the big question is how many of todays squad could have managed on a wet Tuesday Night playing Darlington in front of me and Derek and Julie and their Dog Winston? That is a harder question.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: andersons11 on June 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM
For those supporters who have seen generations of Fulham players, who do you think would be able to make it in todays top flight. I know there are certain things that you just cant compare from when they did play to now, but please give an honest summary of why they would. Obviously names like Haynes, Jezzard and Davies will probably make the list, but who else would?

For example: The team in 1967 which played out a 2-2 draw with Manchester Utd in front of 47,290 of us at Craven Cottage! Macedo; Cohen (just won a world cup winner's medal), Robson, Dempsey, Callaghan; Brown, Haynes, Pearson; Conway, Clarke, Barrett. All of them! Each and every one had quality, character, heart and consistency in their play.

RaySmith

Yes, how would the pampered players of today have coped back then? might be a better question - the pitches like swamps, the  heavy boots, heavy footballs, heavy tackles - Haynes and the other creative players would feel liberated.

I think the top players of the past would transpose to any era - taking advantage of the better conditions, training, diet etc. Plus they were of an era where you had to be tough, and just get on with it.

There is the essential mental aspect that is essential to top players - not just self belief, but that speed of thought to be aware of what's happening around and act on that effectively without thinking ,that Berba has - and Haynes had too. The game is a lot faster, but if players were playing today they'd be brought up on that.

Fernhurst

Terrifically entertaining replies, found myself nodding in agreement with CMG and Beamer.

We all agree the fitness levels allied to scientific advances ( diet etc) would have left our former heroes in awe of today's pro's. Back in 59 to 67 our game was still regarded as a sport and not a hard nosed business.
The one thing that has not changed, however, is speed of thought!
How many of us watched in wonderment when our dear Johnny flicked a look to the wing a nano second before receiving a pass from Sticks Lowe and in one fluid movement didn't bother to control the ball but just helped it on its way inside the fullback for the winger to run on to.

I would suggest his brain would be worth 80 million these days.

We were so lucky to watch him in his pomp it was a crying shame ( when you compare him with some of todays arrogant blowhards) he was still having to work when he died aged 71.

RIP John
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

cmg

I find the sugestion that Haynes might be troubled unduly by close marking and rough treatment today less than persuasive.

A few years back I, quite accidently, came across, on one of the many cable channels, an appreciation of Johnny Haynes. It included clips of matches against Liverpool, Manchester United and Spurs. I watched with a little trepidation in case my memories proved to be a bit too rosy. I needn't have worried - JH was immaculate in all three clips. His markers? Tommy Smith, Nobby Stiles and Dave Mackay, none of them particularly noted for their weak tackling and loose marking.

Peabody

I think there is no doubt that Johnny Haynes would succeed in whatever era he played