watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nel Etheridge

Started by malcbridger, June 05, 2013, 08:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcbridger

Good morning. With (hopefully) the imminent arrival of Stekelenberg and the likely departures of Schwarzer and Stockdale, is Etheridge ready to step up to the bench? He got rave reviews yesterday, saving a penalty and playing a blinder for the Philippines according to reports. Has anyone seen him play, is he ready?

JBH

Is Nel Neil's sister? 065.gif

Burt

Only seen him playing a game in the Europa - I think it may have been against Odense. He certainly has potential and would be a good #2 to develop.

Burt

Given my number two comment, if Mr Finn were with us, god bless him, he would have hijacked this thread and gone down the toilet humour route...  065.gif

cmg

Neil won't have very far to step up to the bench as he has been on it all season.

I've only seen him the once so can't comment, but obviously those in the know are sufficiently confident of his ability to a) have him on the bench on a regular basis and b) be cool about Stockdale's future.

Not many 23 year olds have 40 full international caps.

Deanothefulhamfan

I like etheridge, Saw him in the Europa league at home and felt he played very well on his debut.... No problems at all with him being our number 2

David Allen Crankshaw

Didn't Martin say that he wanted him to go out on loan next season which would mean that we would need someone else for the bench.

EJL

Does anyone remember him taking the ball around Peter Utaka against Odense? Not many keepers have the confidence to do that - especially on their debut.

hongkongfulham

I probably should of gone to the game... woops

ffc73

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on June 05, 2013, 10:46:59 AM
Didn't Martin say that he wanted him to go out on loan next season which would mean that we would need someone else for the bench.

Neil said that he wanted to go out on loan to play games.  Jol has not said either way as he is still probably working out whether Skelenburg is signing and/or Schwarzer and Stockdale are leaving

YankeeJim

Quote from: cmg on June 05, 2013, 09:57:17 AM
Neil won't have very far to step up to the bench as he has been on it all season.

I've only seen him the once so can't comment, but obviously those in the know are sufficiently confident of his ability to a) have him on the bench on a regular basis and b) be cool about Stockdale's future.

True, but 23 caps for a minnow is a far cry from playing for a top ranking side. I suspect that Monaco, Andorra & Malta have players with lots of caps that can't play in a top league.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

MJG

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on June 05, 2013, 10:46:59 AM
Jol did say that in one of his interviews on the website. I full expect to see him go out to a lge 1 or 2 club. Stockdale sold and a cheap 35 year old reserve keeper brought in to kick balls in the warm up.

Matt Inglis

I definitely think that Etheridge should go on loan next season!
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

cmg

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 05, 2013, 06:23:21 PM
Quote from: cmg on June 05, 2013, 09:57:17 AM

True, but 23 caps for a minnow is a far cry from playing for a top ranking side. I suspect that Monaco, Andorra & Malta have players with lots of caps that can't play in a top league.

You are, of course, quite right. Playing for the Phillipines does not mean you are certainly good enough for the top leagues. You could say the same for Wales or Northern Ireland or (perhaps, dare I suggest it?) the USA, why even playing for England doesn't guarantee a PL start.

And yet I'm a bit in awe of anybody who is considerd good enough to play for their country, whatever that country may be. If all the countries of FIFA were playing on the same night it would still mean that only just over 200 goalkeepers, out of all the millions playing in the world today, would receive a cap. If Etheridge were to play for as long, and to keep his form for as long, as Mark Schwarzer he would end up with something like 180 caps (he's got 40, not 23, although your point is still just as good). Wouldn't that be something? And he still might never hack it as a PL starter.

I bet he's proud, though, every time he stands there while they play his National Anthem. Or maybe I'm just an old Romantic at heart. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."