News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

European U21 Championships kicks off today!

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, June 05, 2013, 03:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

It's one of my favourite tournaments in football. The first game is at 5.00pm (GMT) with hosts Israel playing Norway, with our very own Omri Altman on the bench for Israel. England's first game kicks off at 7.30pm GMT against a promising Italy side.

Steve_orino

As I saw you mention on twitter...very interested to see the Dutch U21 squad -- hope they do well.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Steve_orino on June 05, 2013, 06:14:05 PM
As I saw you mention on twitter...very interested to see the Dutch U21 squad -- hope they do well.

Holland are my outsider tip for the tournament, they've got a fantastic squad. Do not write off Spain either, I do worry for England vs Italy later though...

Humbled

Its really annoying me that a defender has on 9 and a midfielder is wearing 10!!!!!

Steve_orino

From my time playing Fifa...Harmeet Singh is supposed to be a highly though of prospect (he scored the late equalizer for Norway)

@F-P-T Did you see the game?  On wiki, they refer to him as the "The Norwegian Iniesta".  Can't help but think he'd be a replacement for Dembele ???  Our Captain could have a word with the young man, no?
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Humbled

For anybody watchg the game, why was the goal chalked off???? From replays its looks as though both the ref AND linesman give the goal. I'm confused

Deanothefulhamfan

I have money on Holland as well.... They are the dark horse thats for sure

Humbled

I have seen Butland play a fair few times now and I just do not rate him that highly!!!

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Humbled on June 05, 2013, 08:52:36 PM
I have seen Butland play a fair few times now and I just do not rate him that highly!!!

To be fair, he's a baby of a goalkeeper. 20 years younger then our Mark!

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Humbled on June 05, 2013, 08:45:29 PM
For anybody watchg the game, why was the goal chalked off???? From replays its looks as though both the ref AND linesman give the goal. I'm confused

I'm not sure, there was a lot of confusion. Even Martin Tyler was commentating as if England were 1-0 up.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Steve_orino on June 05, 2013, 08:44:12 PM
From my time playing Fifa...Harmeet Singh is supposed to be a highly though of prospect (he scored the late equalizer for Norway)

@F-P-T Did you see the game?  On wiki, they refer to him as the "The Norwegian Iniesta".  Can't help but think he'd be a replacement for Dembele ???  Our Captain could have a word with the young man, no?

That strike was superb yesterday, and I was very impressed with Norway. They are missing 4-5 players who may play their last group game because they are with the National team at the moment. I thought Harmeet Singh played well, I was impressed with Marcus Pedersen up top, made a nuisance to the Israel defence.

cebu

Allegedly a foul was committed in the build-up to the goal.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-report/280533/england-u-21-v-italy-u-21

Allegedly it was Caulker.

MJG

In the end England were not good enough.
As usual we lack the basics required at this level, a decent first touch under pressure, movement (or tactical awareness )and the inability to use their weaker foot.

cmg

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on June 05, 2013, 06:22:54 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on June 05, 2013, 06:14:05 PM

Holland are my outsider tip for the tournament, they've got a fantastic squad. Do not write off Spain either, I do worry for England vs Italy later though...

Looks a very estute bet now. Looking very slick and leading their friends and neighbours 2-0 at h/t.

England were very ordinary. Neither was I impressed by Pearce slagging them off. You can do that once or twice a season if you are a league manager - but this is a one-off competition and it's Pearce's team. It was up to him to get them playing. I know he's an enthusiast and a patriot (also has a good taste in music), but a top level coach???

cmg

Netherlands 3 Germany 2

Excellent game. Germans came storming back in the second half like a...a...well...like a German team, to draw level. Dutch won it in last few minutes. Ola John, brother of a former Fulham 'favourite', played for Netherlands.

Steve_orino

Alright, can someone give me a cliff-notes version of the age rules...

For example: Leroy Fer is aged 23 in a U21 competition ???
@Borino09

cmg

The u21 requirement is from the start of the Qualifying stage of the tournement which was, I think, March 2011. "Players must be born on or after 1 January 1990."

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Steve_orino on June 06, 2013, 09:38:45 PM
Alright, can someone give me a cliff-notes version of the age rules...

For example: Leroy Fer is aged 23 in a U21 competition ???

If you are 21 or under at the start of qualification, you can play for the duration of qualification and the tournament. So if you are 21 or under for the first game of the qualification stages you are free to play in the tournament hence the high amount of 22/23 year olds. Hope that's cleared things up.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

How superb were the Dutch in the first half? Lewis Holtby was fantastic as well, really seems to thrive in the middle.

Bryanthebroom

Dutch were fantastic first half but individual performance of the tournament so far has to go to Isco of Spain - love to watch that lad play.

As much as I'd like to see him every week in the prem I don't relish the thought of him playing against us!