watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin Jol - tight budgetary constraints this summer

Started by Roberty, June 09, 2013, 07:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

"Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol has been told he must work inside tight budgetary constraints this summer"

This is from the Mirror but is typical of how our transfer budget is described in the press.

Can anyone think of a Premier League club whose manager does not have "tight" budgetary constraints?

I have set tight budgetary constraints - Mrs Roberty asked for more money two weeks ago - I am still negotiating.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Rupert

My theory is that as we are famous for not doing our transfer dealings via the back pages of the yellow press, this is their way of getting back at us. If Jol gave weekly press briefings where he said he admired Joe Smith of Northern Town United, but did not want to speculate about the future of a player who belonged to another club, this sort of thing would not appear.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

alexbishop

I think the board recognise that money needs to be invested in the right areas of the squad this summer but aren't prepared to blow silly amounts of money doing so. They will spend on the right player if they think it represents good value. E.g. 4.7m for A world class keeper such as Maarten represents good value so they spent. Riether for 2m was good value. Berba at 5m was good value. If and when Jol finds a quality midfielder that represents good value I'm sure the board will back him as that is an area that needs strengthening.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Danitar

Quote from: alexbishop on June 09, 2013, 08:27:25 AM
I think the board recognise that money needs to be invested in the right areas of the squad this summer but aren't prepared to blow silly amounts of money doing so. They will spend on the right player if they think it represents good value. E.g. 4.7m for A world class keeper such as Maarten represents good value so they spent. Riether for 2m was good value. Berba at 5m was good value. If and when Jol finds a quality midfielder that represents good value I'm sure the board will back him as that is an area that needs strengthening.

Well said

grandad

I am happy with our restraint. We may not be able to buy the players in the 40 - 80 mil bracket like the biggies but let them carry on committing financial suicide. The bubble will burst but we will still be here.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

After last season when we failed in the transfer market, sold big money players and brought in old men and free transfer out of contract players. It does mean we have to spend out on players as we have had to do with the keeper. Restraint is fine but clearly we had to start early to bring in players as we are a season behind a sensible rebuilding.

There is no shock about us being short of big spending clubs. But a poor result last season means the restraint couldn't be as restraining as it may have been.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

I prefer to go down the "good value" route and live within our means rather than do a Leeds, Pompey (and most probably) QPR by trying to compete with those clubs who do splash the cash, and probably distort the market as a result (i.e. inflate transfer fees, wages etc).

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Artful Dodger

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 09, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
How many would consider this 'good value' if we were to snap him up?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/spurs-line-up-7million-transfer-for-bayern-munich-striker-mario-gomez-3832763/
A couple of years ago Gomez was one of the most sought after strikers in Europe so, yes £7m would be good value. A couple of years ago he would have commanded a bigger fee but he seems to have slipped down the pecking order this year.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Enter the Frei

Gomez, not a chance we could afford his wages but his a world class goalscorer. No chance he'll be playing for us next year.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 09, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
How many would consider this 'good value' if we were to snap him up?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/spurs-line-up-7million-transfer-for-bayern-munich-striker-mario-gomez-3832763/

He has scored better than one goal in every two games for Bayern. That seems good enough for me.

zschwartz

Only 28 (tomorrow) with an incredible goal scoring record and a regular german international?  no way in hell he goes for just 7.

Anyway, to feign indifference, i am not sure where he would fit in here. we conceded 60 goals last season and that was whilst playing half a striker up front (...in reference to dimitar's drifting back to help out, not his quality). if he were brought in at the expense of the midfield and left back, no.

cebu

Gomez - excellent choice!

But shouldn't this be in the "Silly Season ..." thread?

RidgeRider

Quote from: Burt on June 09, 2013, 11:46:50 AM
I prefer to go down the "good value" route and live within our means rather than do a Leeds, Pompey (and most probably) QPR by trying to compete with those clubs who do splash the cash, and probably distort the market as a result (i.e. inflate transfer fees, wages etc).

Agreed. It limits how far up the table we can go but we should all take some solace in how well we do compared to how much we spend.

Hodgson truly was the perfect manager for us because he could get the most out of players. Not every manager has that skill.

EJL

cebu

Quote from: EJL on June 10, 2013, 10:38:41 AM
Mario Gomez? Come on, guys...

We're Fulham - "please mister, can we have him on loan?"

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife