watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who deserves the next statue?

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, June 10, 2013, 04:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

Just came to mind, with the increased TV income from this year, most of it will go towards players and eradicating debt (assuming we have some left, I'm not 100% sure what the deal is with that, somebody told me that WE were debt free and MAF had taken it all on personally, but I digress).

However, what if we were to put it towards another statue? Put it alongside the Haynes one, or indeed maybe nearer the Hammersmith End.

The Johnny Haynes one came around after us fans begged the club to build one after we earned 'Best Behaved Fans' award for 07/08 and it came with a £20,000 cheque.

So if we were, theoretically, to put up a new statue. Who should it be and where should it go?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

The Doctor

May as well get your money's worth in terms of materials, so Big Jim Stannard.  Mount it on wheels and put it in whichever goal we're defending

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: The Doctor on June 10, 2013, 04:03:05 PM
May as well get your money's worth in terms of materials, so Big Jim Stannard.  Mount it on wheels and put it in whichever goal we're defending

That suggests not a lot of faith in Stekelenburg

Peabody

Sorry to disagree but that JH statue came about because of the dedicated campaigning of the likes of LB and a few others. The rest of us just submitted a few ideas.

The Doctor

Not at all, haven't seen him play that often to be honest.  More for comic purposes

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Ray Lewington... He's done so much for FFC so over the years and perhaps deserves recognition more than anyone else.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Peabody on June 10, 2013, 04:06:38 PM
Sorry to disagree but that JH statue came about because of the dedicated campaigning of the likes of LB and a few others. The rest of us just submitted a few ideas.

I'll take your word for it. It all came about when I was starting 6th form, so I didn't pay 100% attention to the goings on

The Doctor

Peabody's spot on.  The £20k prize pot was convenient timing and was conditional upon being spent on "initiatives to benefit the fans", so the already up-and-running JH statue was an obvious choice.  Some of us helped out with bucket collections at a few games and I think the balance was paid by MAF

ToodlesMcToot

Dear Lord,

Please don't let Justin Bieber come for a visit.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 10, 2013, 04:16:45 PM
Dear Lord,

Please don't let Justin Bieber come for a visit.

:plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

Vinnieffc

Is there really ANY alternative other than Chairman MO for a new statue ? I could also recommend it's location - either just outside the Hammy End OR it could replace another, errm, rather less loved statue that is already in place.  :Haynes The Maestro:

Holders

If Chairman Mo were too modest to commission one of himself, then Jimmy Hill. Might take a bit of extra bronze/plastic for the chin though.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham Tup North

049:gif  Ralph McTell.... For those who do not know who he is, look it up on google.... after you have finished your homework!!  :yay:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Burt

MAF is a good call. Were it not for him, I dread to think where we would be today...

Andy S

George Cohen The only Fulham player to appear in a world cup final much less win it.

Jimmy Hill who went out of his way to save the club. Without him we were down the river

Jack Fulham

Can't think anyone really. We've already got one statue too many.

cebu

Quote from: Andy S on June 10, 2013, 06:24:39 PM
George Cohen The only Fulham player to appear in a world cup final much less win it.

Jimmy Hill who went out of his way to save the club. Without him we were down the river

Both good call, mate.

But MAF is a great shout.

WhiteJC

"the unknown supporter"

for those of us who have had to support such "challenging" teams over the years

grandad

Quote from: Holders on June 10, 2013, 06:14:10 PM
If Chairman Mo were too modest to commission one of himself, then Jimmy Hill. Might take a bit of extra bronze/plastic for the chin though.
:plus one:
He was our savior in the dark days
Where there's a will there's a wife

JackyFulham90