News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why do English players cost so much more than foreign players ?

Started by Riverside, June 11, 2013, 04:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverside

There has been much in the Press on our ( and other Club's ) habit of buying foreign players as we find them so much more affordable than English players.
This is true.

But I am left asking why English players cost so much more ?
- there are no quotas for European players . If we want to play 11 non English we can play 11 non English ( and actually only notice a day after when someone in the media points it out )
- fans will not pay more or favour a player just because he is English . Richardson and Sidwell being our 2 English starters are not really given any favourable fan treatment .

So why pay more ?
Therefore why do they cost more ?

ffc73

The Premier League takes all the tv revenue. 

In the days before the Premier League (yes there was life before) the TV money was spread across the 92 league clubs.  Now it goes to the richest, making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

When a poor relation has something that the rich man wants the poor relation will ask for the value it is worth to the seller (+ a bit as he knows the rich man has been greedy and has more than he should have).

Unfortunately there is the whole world market that the rich man can spend his money in so he goes there to buy instead.

On a whole different but related topic, I do recall that the founding fathers of the Premier League did say that its creation would help the English national side.  Help it to what end was not clarified.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Riverside on June 11, 2013, 04:30:57 PM
There has been much in the Press on our ( and other Club's ) habit of buying foreign players as we find them so much more affordable than English players.
This is true.

But I am left asking why English players cost so much more ?
- there are no quotas for European players . If we want to play 11 non English we can play 11 non English ( and actually only notice a day after when someone in the media points it out )
- fans will not pay more or favour a player just because he is English . Richardson and Sidwell being our 2 English starters are not really given any favourable fan treatment .

So why pay more ?
Therefore why do they cost more ?

The only thing I've ever been able to think up is that there are exemptions for them (English players) within the confines of FFP? I don't know this 100%, but I believe that I can recall reading it.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Jack Fulham

English clubs generally pay more in transfer fees and wages. Lack of good English players means when a good one comes along, they command a high price.

Riverside

Quote from: Berserker on June 11, 2013, 05:20:36 PM
Supply and Demand theory

My point is why the demand ?
No quotas
No fan impact
No TV revenue impact

Riverside

Quote from: Jack Fulham on June 11, 2013, 05:24:28 PM
English clubs generally pay more in transfer fees and wages. Lack of good English players means when a good one comes along, they command a high price.

Why overpay for a Henderson when you can get a Mata for less ?

btings

There are social pressures on clubs to employ English players (see WhiteJC's post about the media bashing Fulham for having too many overseas players).  Not every club (eg, this one) seems to feel that pressure, but enough do that it increases demand.

Also, they are much easier to scout.  Every club (not to mention every supporter) in England knows how good Callum McManaman looked in the FA Cup Final.  But most clubs have limited resources to pay close attention to even all the European leagues, let alone places further afield.  So there is more demand for English players because more people know who they are.

Jimpav

I'm guessing that part of this is to do with the culture and language barrier. There is no language barrier or culture shock to deal with that you get with some foreign players

This works both ways - very few British players play overseas in their prime. The current exception to the rule is Barton but that is only because he has outstayed his welcome here.

Whiteroom

It IS very nice having players in your tram playing in the national side, or vying for a place. I remember when Zamora was playing in England I cared A LOT more about the team.

Nero

it will be due to the the number of homegrown players you need in your 25 man squad. So teams want to try and keep there best young English talent hence also why they buy all the foreign 15 year old as by the time there about 19 they qualify as home grown. But if English youngsters were good foreign clubs would be after them like English club are after every french or Spanish lad as soon as he voice start breaking 

FFC1987

I genuinely blame Liverpool right now. The FFP is a factor that has certain teams panic buying but Liverpool forking out for some very average names imploded the market.

EJL

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Berserker on June 11, 2013, 05:20:36 PM
Supply and Demand theory
Was going to say this. Frankly I see no reason for English players to get first preference. The best players shouldplay, regardlessof nationality. The problem lies with the way young footballers are trained as well as the way they are overhyped. They aren't technical enough by and large and when they get half decent they are lauded as world class in the media which results in them stopping trying to get better.

jmh

Quote from: Riverside on June 11, 2013, 04:30:57 PM
Disagree.  I thought Richardson in particular received some glowing reviews for mediocre performances this past season in comparison to Riise who was slated for similar levels of play. 

That being said, I don't think the fans are paying any more either way, so I still can't answer your question about why the clubs are paying more.