News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

50 Moments That Made Fulham - Hairs rise on the back of the neck time!

Started by AnotherVicHalomLoveChild, June 15, 2013, 09:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

No 31 - draw with Lincoln City earns promotion  1982 (from the FFC website)

No apologies to the "newby" FFC fans

This is deep in our DNA

Malcolm Macdonald led Fulham to promotion from Division 3 only clinched on the final day (where have we experienced THAT drama before & since?) of the 1981/82 season

Of course (as always it seems with our beloved club) it was done in dramatic fashion as a win for Lincoln would see them promoted @ our expense

20,298 spectators turned up (more than twice as for our previous highest attendance of the season)

Fulham (of course) started nervously

However,incredibly we took the lead on 57 minutes with one of our GREATEST HEROES,one Roger Brown heading in from Tony Gale's free kick

It was Brown's 12th league goal of the season - a record for a FFC defender which remains intact today (please take note Brede!)

Brown was by nature "bloody & battered" & always gave his all - a true hero

but of course Lincoln equalised a quarter of an hour later

Sean O'Driscoll (bless him) made a goal-line clearance as they piled on the pressure

but we held firm to take the third & final promotion place

As ever,the last few minutes @ the Cottage seemed to last forever but we did it!

Macdonald very nearly went on to lead us to the very top division only to be cruely robbed by Derby & beaten to it by Leicester I think (another story in our DNA history)

Never forgotten - Roger Brown - HERO

Holders

It was Lineker that scored the decisive goal for Leicester and I shall never forget that.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Arthur

Quote from: Holders on June 15, 2013, 09:52:09 PM
It was Lineker that scored the decisive goal for Leicester and I shall never forget that.

Perhaps you have. If my memory serves me correctly, it was scored by a guy named Wilson (but definitely not Lineker).

Is this right?

Holders

I remember Lineker scoring a decisive goal that prevented us getting promotion after the Derby fiasco, perhaps not in the same match as Wilson.

Arthur

Quote from: Holders on June 15, 2013, 10:26:42 PM
I remember Lineker scoring a decisive goal that prevented us getting promotion after the Derby fiasco, perhaps not in the same match as Wilson.

Memory. It's playing tricks on one of us.

As I recall, the Derby game was the final weekend of the season and, that day, Leicester drew their last match 0-0.

Cravenawin

Quote from: Arthur on June 15, 2013, 10:17:53 PM
Quote from: Holders on June 15, 2013, 09:52:09 PM

Perhaps you have. If my memory serves me correctly, it was scored by a guy named Wilson (but definitely not Lineker).

Is this right?

You sir are most definitely correct. Ian Wilson scored the goal at the Cottage. Lineker and Alan Smith were up front for Leicester. Also, Dean Coney missed an absolute sitter from 2 yards out to get us the point which would have got us promotion.

fulhamfever

Murphy's winner against Pompey
The last few moments of the Shakthar Donetsk game away and Basel

bog

It was Ian Wilson scored that goal for Leicester. At the Putney End and it was a half hit one. Linneker was obviously class though, as was Alan Smith his up front partner who went on the play for Arsenal. 

Thank you and good night.

092.gif

Holders

I wasn't referring to a goal that Lineker scored against us but one that he scored for Leicester in a match which we needed them to lose or draw. Maybe it was Leicester's game before our match with Derby that set that up as high noon. It was a long time ago now, but it was crucial in the scheme of things.  I'm not going to get all the fixtures and results out though!

Suffice it to say that we all remember the pain of the final few matches of that season and what might have been on what was a more level playing field when these things were less decided merely by the wealth of foreign owners.

Mo is excluded, of course, as he's an honorary Brit.

So near and yet so far.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I seem to remember that when Roger Brown went up for corners he would put the ball (and anyone between him and the goal line, be they friend or foe) into the back of the net...

Legend...

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on June 15, 2013, 09:23:01 PM
No 31 - draw with Lincoln City earns promotion  1982 (from the FFC website)

No apologies to the "newby" FFC fans

This is deep in our DNA

Malcolm Macdonald led Fulham to promotion from Division 3 only clinched on the final day (where have we experienced THAT drama before & since?) of the 1981/82 season

Of course (as always it seems with our beloved club) it was done in dramatic fashion as a win for Lincoln would see them promoted @ our expense

20,298 spectators turned up (more than twice as for our previous highest attendance of the season)

Fulham (of course) started nervously

However,incredibly we took the lead on 57 minutes with one of our GREATEST HEROES,one Roger Brown heading in from Tony Gale's free kick

It was Brown's 12th league goal of the season - a record for a FFC defender which remains intact today (please take note Brede!)

Brown was by nature "bloody & battered" & always gave his all - a true hero

but of course Lincoln equalised a quarter of an hour later

Sean O'Driscoll (bless him) made a goal-line clearance as they piled on the pressure

but we held firm to take the third & final promotion place

As ever,the last few minutes @ the Cottage seemed to last forever but we did it!

Macdonald very nearly went on to lead us to the very top division only to be cruely robbed by Derby & beaten to it by Leicester I think (another story in our DNA history)

Never forgotten - Roger Brown - HERO

the cyprus one

Quote from: Holders on June 16, 2013, 09:06:47 PM
I wasn't referring to a goal that Lineker scored against us but one that he scored for Leicester in a match which we needed them to lose or draw. Maybe it was Leicester's game before our match with Derby that set that up as high noon. It was a long time ago now, but it was crucial in the scheme of things.  I'm not going to get all the fixtures and results out though!

Suffice it to say that we all remember the pain of the final few matches of that season and what might have been on what was a more level playing field when these things were less decided merely by the wealth of foreign owners.

So near and yet so far.

Quote from: Holders on June 16, 2013, 09:06:47 PM
I wasn't referring to a goal that Lineker scored against us but one that he scored for Leicester in a match which we needed them to lose or draw. Maybe it was Leicester's game before our match with Derby that set that up as high noon. It was a long time ago now, but it was crucial in the scheme of things.  I'm not going to get all the fixtures and results out though!

So near and yet so far.

Was there, lost to derby, they drew 0-0 with burnley.  lost of grief after.

domprague

It was the Lincoln match that drew me back into Fulham after a few years away. I was 13 and went with a mate and his Dad. Amazing atmosphere and confirmed my love of Fulham. Given all the Fulhamish incidents that followed, it has a lot to answer for.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

nose

What a night that was, one of the best ever along with the maine road, mansfield and carlisle (couldn't make midweek in blackburn and have regretted it ever since) and of course most recently away at portsmouth, woolfsburg and hiome to juve and Hamburg. I can't separate those for the elation but the lincoln game does have a very special nostalgic appeal as it is so often forgotten when we talk!