watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Minder

Started by malc, June 17, 2013, 06:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malc

One for the (slightly) older generation.

Just watching a re-run of Minder on ITV4,Arthur says to Terry "What's this bloke like then?"
Terry- QPR supporter
Arthur-Well come on there must be more to it than that
Terry-Not really

Classic

spikey norman

Loved minder - if I remember rightly terry was a fulham fan in the programme
Two other brilliant programmes where main character were fulham fans were citizen smith (wolfy) and budgie (Adam faith) which was written I think by terry venebles
Have I missed any others?

malc

Terry was a Fulham fan in the programme,not sure if Dennis Waterman is in real life.
Can't remember if any of the characters were Fulham fans but does anyone remember a programme called Fox from the early 1980's?A scene in one of the episodes was filmed at Craven Cottage-Hammersmith end by the river.

Slaphead in Qatar

Waterman is a chelsea fan in real life. I remember the episode with the qpr fan, it was called the bengal tiger, arthur gets involved in a scam with an asian businessman.

Fulham Tup North

049:gif Bobby Box was a Fulham fan in 'Big Deal'.  His girlfriend in the show was an actress called Sharon Duce and I used to see her at loads of Fulham away games in the late 80's early 90's.
:beer:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Fernhurst

Sharron was a mad keen Fulham fan back in the day but apparently fell out of love with the club over the sacking of Micky Adams.

Ah bless her.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Travers Barney

Can watch them over and over again and do.

My favourite one was when Oilly Rag (played by Pete Postlethwaite) returned from Spain...'I wanna decent pint of keg and go down to Fulham every other week'.

Arthur was at his sarcastic best in this episode moaning about Oilly whilst quoffing his Moet.......'if he starts that Biggsy said this and Biggsy said that cobblers'.

Class.

coyw
We are the whites

HillingdonFFC

Loved Minder, tons of Fulham references. The series was set in Fulham, in the Leon Griffiths book  Arthur came from the Fulham Palace Rd so I couldnt understand how it was suddenly switched to Willesden in the later series??.
Sharon Duce said the episode she was in, Denis Waterman was a bit funny to her as he was a rabid Chelsea fan. Shame about her and her partner Dominic Guard copping the major hump about Mickey Adams

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Bob Hoskins and John Thaw had a Fulham scarf on the front room wall in thick as thieves, which was  set in Prothero Road in Fulham

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/thickas.htm

Edward Winston Malone (Razor Eddie) was a small time crook in Turtles progress who also went to Fulham.  Fulham was referenced several time in the series.

Tv Theme Turtle's Progress

millsy

I actually found myself at some do at the Lancaster Gate Hotel a while ago and noticed Denis Waterman drinking in the corner, so I waited until he was alone then introduced myself as a Fulham man, then regaled him with memories and team opinions. To his credit, he listened then politely told me he was a Chelsea nut and really tried hard to get the script changed, as he hated pretending to support the Whites in the show. Apparently, he was told that Fulham fitted the character better than Chelsea and he just had to grin and bear it.

On this subject, I've tuned into loads of Minder re-runs in the hope of catching the episode where Terry is actually on the terrace, leaning on the rail inside the Cottage but I have no idea about the plot or episode title. Can anyone help?

JHunter_Fulham4Life

ROTFLMSWAO!  064.gif

Reminds me of that great line from the first season of "Life on Mars", when the victim was a Manchester United supporter, and Philip Glenister insists he must have been killed by a City fan. John Simm's answer was classic:

"He wasn't beaten up! He didn't have 'Georgie Best is a tosser' written on his forehead!"

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: millsy on June 17, 2013, 10:57:29 PM
I actually found myself at some do at the Lancaster Gate Hotel a while ago and noticed Denis Waterman drinking in the corner, so I waited until he was alone then introduced myself as a Fulham man, then regaled him with memories and team opinions. To his credit, he listened then politely told me he was a Chelsea nut and really tried hard to get the script changed, as he hated pretending to support the Whites in the show. Apparently, he was told that Fulham fitted the character better than Chelsea and he just had to grin and bear it.

On this subject, I've tuned into loads of Minder re-runs in the hope of catching the episode where Terry is actually on the terrace, leaning on the rail inside the Cottage but I have no idea about the plot or episode title. Can anyone help?

I dont remember any one at Craven Cottage, pretty sure it was Stamford Bridge?, Terry tells Arthur he`s off to Chelsea, Arthur said "I thought you were a Fulham fan?", they`re away today he replied. Then you see him watching and cheering? Chelsea in their late70s, early 80s?  shite days.
I think I read somewhere years ago that for some reason they weren`t allowed to film at Craven Cottage so went to SB instead, maybe Waterman pulling a few strings?

bulgariawhite

I maybe wrong but weren't their references to Fulham FC in "the Sweeny" as well

Buffalo76

I remember watching a drama series in the early 90's called Growing Pains starring Ray Brooks and Sharon Duce as a married couple. In the scenes at their home there was things like a Fulham mug and Fulham tea towel on view.His daughter in the show is now that moody doctor in Holby City.

domprague

I was watching it yesterday and waiting for that line. The fan concerned is a sweet bloke but a right dork who is generally out of his depth in life. Can't think why they made him a QPR fan.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Fernhurst

Minder and Only Fools kept me sane when I lived a million miles from Craven Cottage.

That and discovering there were actually other Fulham Fans through a newly published mag TOOFIF

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Rupert

I believe the bloke who wrote "The Magic Roundabout" scripts was a Fulham fan.

I recall an episode where Dougal and Brian met a table football team (it was a kid's programme, from the drugged up sixties, this sort of thing was normal for the programme) and Dougal quips that even Fulham could beat that lot. It was a very rare FFC reference on TV back then.
There was a Magic Roundabout cartoon strip in one of the red-tops too, where Brian is shown waving a football rattle (can't recall what with, he was a snail, maybe I just imagined the rattle) and shouting "Come on Fulham!"
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.