watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

why do so many think that a lack of goals is our problem

Started by fulhamben, June 17, 2013, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

we scored more last season than we ever did under roy or hughes. couldnt be bothered to check any further back, but to me its clear that our defence was the main problem and the lack of help they got from the central 2 (even if it was just ball retention to ease some pressure). and this is something jol has clearly tried to rectify early doors with his signings and contract extensions.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

ok i checked we have only ever scored more once in the prem way back in 2003

Deanothefulhamfan

I think it was our play in the final third that bothered me.... We were poor defensivley, and equally poor going forward.... Losing djegajah was when we lost our balance.... Things will be better this season I am sure of that

fulhamben

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on June 17, 2013, 08:19:11 PM
I think it was our play in the final third that bothered me.... We were poor defensivley, and equally poor going forward.... Losing djegajah was when we lost our balance.... Things will be better this season I am sure of that
ashkan was on fire before he got injured, was a huge loss

Deanothefulhamfan

Yeah he was ridicliously good, we lost our shape and balance after he got injured...

Arthur

First 12 games of the season - 25 goals scored.

Remaining 26 games of the season - 25 goals scored.

Perhaps this is why.

fulhamben

Quote from: Arthur on June 17, 2013, 08:43:04 PM

Perhaps this is why.
we would have probably won the league if we would have kept that statistic up

Apprentice to the Maestro

I think that our problems started in midfield which made things more difficult for both the defence and the attack.

The attack in general was not that well coordinated and you did not often sense that the opposition felt particularly threatened. If Dejagah and Kaliniklic play and play at their best from last season then things will be looking up but a pacey striker who can make runs beyond the last line of defence would be valuable. Bent or Defoe can do this but there may be better options. If both our midfield and attack can hold on to the ball, not give it away so easily or win it back promptly like Barcelona and we can more quickly turn defence into a serious attack then we will fare much better.

bill taylors apprentice

In my opinion, it wasn't so much the lack of goals, more the fact we didn't sustain pressure on the opposition enough during matches.
While we managed to keep the ball for long periods at times and the match stats sometimes showed healthy figures for possession, we never did it enough in the danger areas.
This as a result gave teams room to put our defense under more pressure than would be usual , with the ball constantly coming back at our back four.
Its all well and good trying to keep the ball but there is a long list of games when these failings lost us easy points.

Humbled

poor defensively
and wasnt much of a threat centrally
our main threat was wide and i think Dejagah and Riether offensively will be even better with a striker in the box to find

RidgeRider

Quote from: fulhamben on June 17, 2013, 08:44:49 PM
Quote from: Arthur on June 17, 2013, 08:43:04 PM

Perhaps this is why.
we would have probably won the league if we would have kept that statistic up

Agreed! Remember we were in 1st or 4th or something like that after week 2 or 3? :)

We lost our shape in the back and our forwards were not as committed to defense. He played a higher line than Hodgson did. Hodgson's system didn't require many goals. It was 'let's win 1-0 at home' and 'draw 0-0 on the road'. It worked well but just ask Mr. Lighthouse, it could be tedious and nervy on the road.

Lighthouse

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 17, 2013, 09:44:20 PM
In my opinion, it wasn't so much the lack of goals, more the fact we didn't sustain pressure on the opposition enough during matches.
While we managed to keep the ball for long periods at times and the match stats sometimes showed healthy figures for possession, we never did it enough in the danger areas.
This as a result gave teams room to put our defense under more pressure than would be usual , with the ball constantly coming back at our back four.
Its all well and good trying to keep the ball but there is a long list of games when these failings lost us easy points.

I agree and by losing possession of the ball because we couldn't hang on to it further up the pitch meant pressure was put on our  defence too often and for long periods. THAT is why the problem lay with the lack of forward play and not just with the defense.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 17, 2013, 11:57:55 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 17, 2013, 09:44:20 PM

I agree and by losing possession of the ball because we couldn't hang on to it further up the pitch meant pressure was put on our  defence too often and for long periods. THAT is why the problem lay with the lack of forward play and not just with the defense.

:plus one:

nose

I don't think 'lack of goals' was the problem rather lack of forwards that maintained pressure on the opposition.
We scored freely early on then dried up a bit because of all the reasons we have endlessly discussed. we need to get a system with a proper forwards capable of holding up play, bringing in others, turning defenders and scoring a few. A bit like what BZ did when he was at his best. Doesn't have to be a big man, just capable of makijng himself available holding onto the ball and using it effectively.
The trouble with Berba is he could do that but it would be a bit of a waste of his unique skills, If we had such a player then berba could have  a more free role.

filham

Remember that spell of five games, Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton, when the only goal we scored was an own goal against Villa. We looked terrible in that period and in some of the games we had but one or two shots on target in the whole game.

We missed Dejegah in that period but our attacking ability will only get better when we find an attacking midfield replacement for Dembele.

epsomraver

Why is it when we play and lose badly it is always because we miss "a player"   there are 11 in a team!

Craven Mad

Quote from: fulhamben on June 17, 2013, 07:49:28 PM
we scored more last season than we ever did under roy or hughes. couldnt be bothered to check any further back, but to me its clear that our defence was the main problem and the lack of help they got from the central 2 (even if it was just ball retention to ease some pressure). and this is something jol has clearly tried to rectify early doors with his signings and contract extensions.

I completely agree with this statement. In our first two games we had Dembele and Diarra in CM, and scored 7 goals - 14% of league goals in just 5% of league games (give or take). We also scored 7 and conceded 3 against two teams that finished above use, with one game at home and one away.

Without a classy ball-winning CM (Diarra) and an amazing ball-holding CM (Dembele) the delivery to the front was poor (forcing Berb/Ruiz deeper) whilst also putting undue pressure on the back 4.

Boateng gives us a clear ball-winner, but we need a creative CM who knows how to dribble and push the ball higher up the pitch - someone like Banega/McCarthy would be great for this. And maybe a stronger left-side partnership (I hope Kaca will continue his development next season) would help give our attack more options (we rely on Dejagah/Sascha too much IMO).

I'm honestly not at all worried about the Ruiz/Berba strike partnership. I think that their class will be key to us pushing up the table next season. Please leave players like Bent and Defoe to Stoke.