FFCByTheRiver

Stekelenburg

Riether  Hangeland  Amorebieta  Richardson

Boateng

Dejagah                      Duff

Ruiz

Kacanicklic
                   Berbatov

This is how I'd like to see Fulham line up next season, based on the current squad and the type of player that is being linked for a move to the Cottage – that is, multiple wingers and a number of left backs.

Perhaps the most controversial part of this lineup is having Kaca playing just off Berbatov up front. However, in the few games where he has explored this role (notably Swansea, allegedly at Berbatov's direction) he has been sublime, adding a determination and wilfulness to Fulham's attack that the team often lacks when Ruiz and Berbatov provide the spearhead alone. I think it's obvious that this is a move that Berb would approve of, and whilst the club cannot cater to it's star man it would be prudent I think to accommodate certain desires that would help to elevate his own performances.

Ruiz here would fill the gaping hole of Fulham's 'creative midfielder'. Watch the through ball to Kaca for the goal away at West Brom and you can be left in little doubt that he has the vision and skill to finally flourish at Fulham. Obviously, this means that there is a lot of defensive duties for the rest of the midfield. Boateng is an incredibly astute signing in this regard, able to put in an extremely competent and unrelenting shift covering for the more creative players.

Now let's hope Levy and co keep their grubby paws off Alex..

http://ffcme.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/changing-the-system/

Thoughts?

Brown@FFC

Not Duff. END OF STORY. He provides nothing.

TWFL

Switch Duff out with Kaca, sign another ST play him ahead of Berba and that's not bad. Quick attacking but not bad.

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: Brown@FFC on June 18, 2013, 02:15:59 PM
Not Duff. END OF STORY. He provides nothing.

I think this is part of why we've been linked with so many wingers - Jol is looking for another option too.

However Duff did get a lot of assists this season.

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: TWFL on June 18, 2013, 02:38:20 PM
Switch Duff out with Kaca, sign another ST play him ahead of Berba and that's not bad. Quick attacking but not bad.

I think the main point here though is that Kaca would be playing behind Berbatov. It's worked (Swansea away!!) and Berb clearly wants it too.

twang

Kaca's runs into and around the box is, IMHO, one of his main attributes as a winger, and he wouldn't be nearly as effective if he is supposed to start from a central position. His and Dejagah's willingness to make runs into the middle and behind defenders, therefore hopefully making up for Berba's lack of such traits, is the main reason why I think last season's 4-2-3-1 might actually work next season.

Plus, just having one defensive minded midfielder won't work most of the time so either the two wingers will have to be much more restricted than they were last season or Ruiz will have to drop deep into a position he's yet to master.

CurryForMario

It's good on Fifa...not so sure about real life though.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Humbled

Quote from: CurryForMario on June 18, 2013, 03:46:45 PM

talking of fifa, does anyone fancy a game on the 360??

MikeCdawg

Quote from: Humbled on June 18, 2013, 03:49:26 PM

I would prefer not to humiliate another member of this board

Humbled

Quote from: mikecdawg-ffc on June 18, 2013, 04:37:37 PM

I would prefer not to humiliate another member of this board

im open to humiliation.... fancy a game?

CurryForMario

I'm on the playstation, anyone else?
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Classic94

I think it's a good idea. It would allow us to accommodate both Ruiz & Berbatov (players who Jol will not drop), and deploy Kacaniklic in a more advanced, central role. However, for it to work, we would be heavily reliant on our wingers to provide pace and width - so no Duff.

JackyFulham90

Kacaniklic & Dejagah have to be on the wings

grandad

No way Duff & Richardson. We need a LB, Kaca wide left & either Defoe or Bent or some other striker alongside Berba who can read his deft touches.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Bryanthebroom

Where is our CM in this formation? Duff/Kaka and Dejagah would have to come inside to become central midfielders when we don't have the ball. Fat chance. We would get destroyed in the middle of the park.

Personally I wouldn't abandon wingers, but on the point of accommodating Ruiz as an AM to play behind Berba and a pacey striker:

The only way I could see this working is to abandon wingers and play.

GK

CB                          CB
     RWB                                                                LWB
       '                                                                     '
       '                              Boateng                            '
       '                CM                            CM                 '
      \/                                Ruiz                              \/

Berba

ST

The width would have to be provided by our wingbacks bombing forward.
We'd never play this way though as it requires a possession-based game, otherwise every time we lose the ball we'd be super vulnerable in the fullback positions (even with Boateng on the cover). It would require much better central midfielders than we have now.

JackyFulham90

We are a creative midfielder away from having a good team, a front 4 of , Berbatov,  Ruiz, Kacaniklic & Dejagah is dangerous we just need to be more creative in centre midfield

KP_FFC

i like the current 4411 set up
but i would like ruiz as the attacking cm and us to buy a new partner for berba

Bryanthebroom

Quote from: KP_FFC on June 18, 2013, 11:09:03 PM

I think everyone wants this to happen - the problem is that Ruiz has never looked comfortable in that position. Ah well, just have to see what Jol comes up with. In Jol I trust.

Humbled

Quote from: Bryanthebroom on June 18, 2013, 11:29:16 PM
Quote from: KP_FFC on June 18, 2013, 11:09:03 PM

I think everyone wants this to happen - the problem is that Ruiz has never looked comfortable in that position. Ah well, just have to see what Jol comes up with. In Jol I trust.

i for 1 dont want the front 2 to be Ruiz and Berba again next season..