News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Iran has officially qualified for World Cup 2014!

Started by IranianCottager, June 18, 2013, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

It seems weird to me the powers that be consider Iran an Asian team.  But I guess they had to do draw a line somewhere.  Things are looking up for Iran.  A moderate, perhaps a reformer, wins the big election by a wide margin.  Perhaps everyone will tone done the bellicose rhetoric and positive relations will ensue.  Sure hope so.   I think there's such a disconnect between the middle class/professional class and the government over there.  Good news all around.  Oops, I used the word "Iran" in an email.  Now I'll probably be monitored by the NSA.   :doh:

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 20, 2013, 02:00:59 AM
It seems weird to me the powers that be consider Iran an Asian team.  But I guess they had to do draw a line somewhere.  Things are looking up for Iran.  A moderate, perhaps a reformer, wins the big election by a wide margin.  Perhaps everyone will tone done the bellicose rhetoric and positive relations will ensue.  Sure hope so.   I think there's such a disconnect between the middle class/professional class and the government over there.  Good news all around.  Oops, I used the word "Iran" in an email.  Now I'll probably be monitored by the NSA.   :doh:
Well said FF - and congratulations to Iran. Hope "Mick" Dejagah puts on a great show !

timmyg

can anyone elaborate on that awkward tension at the end of the match?

Iran was clearly flaunting the victory right in front of the South Korea bench, running by them and yelling less than spirited cheers. SK meanwhile also went after them.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

LordNelson

I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but Hassan Rouhani is no moderate. 
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

cebu

It seems weird to me the powers that be consider Iran an Asian team.  But I guess they had to do draw a line somewhere.  :

Moving from west to east, where Africa ends, Asia begins. Iran is part of Asia - Asia is BIG!

Forever Fulham

Rouhani isn't the ideal candidate for progressives to be sure.  But the government controlled who could run in this election, and you have to admit Rouhani was the best of the lot.  He's saying some positive things.  Let's hope.  And as to the "Asian" country label, I guess reasonable minds can differ on that one.  I see the Iranian people as more Western than Eastern.  Now if you try to make me explain myself, I'll probably fail miserably.

HatterDon

I wouldn't worry so much about the NSA as I would your old Geography teacher. Where else would Iran be but Asia?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RolandAJ

Congratulations Iran!  Now I have more leverage to use on my Iranian friends to get them to go to Brazil.

Moderate is a very relative term.  H Rouhani is better than many expected.

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

IranianCottager

Quote from: timmyg on June 20, 2013, 03:13:04 PM

Iran was clearly flaunting the victory right in front of the South Korea bench, running by them and yelling less than spirited cheers. SK meanwhile also went after them.
In build-up to the match, South Korea's coach claimed he wanted to defeat Iran and therefore allow Uzbekistan to make the World Cup instead of Iran. Iran's coach, Queiroz, responded by saying he will by him an Uzbekistan jersey if they are the team he cares about.

Also, Son Heung-Min of Korea said he wanted to make Iran's captain, Javad Nekounam, cry tears of blood after defeating Iran.

So there was a lot of tension leading up to the match, so it was a huge win for Iran, not only qualifying us for the World Cup, but also defeating Korea for the second time in a row and doing so in style.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on June 20, 2013, 08:34:43 PM
It seems weird to me the powers that be consider Iran an Asian team.  But I guess they had to do draw a line somewhere.  Things are looking up for Iran.  A moderate, perhaps a reformer, wins the big election by a wide margin.  Perhaps everyone will tone done the bellicose rhetoric and positive relations will ensue.  Sure hope so.   I think there's such a disconnect between the middle class/professional class and the government over there.  Good news all around.  Oops, I used the word "Iran" in an email.  Now I'll probably be monitored by the NSA.   :doh:

I wouldn't worry so much about the NSA as I would your old Geography teacher. Where else would Iran be but Asia?

I'd still call Iran part of the Middle East, I guess.  With Pakistan and Afghanistan and India framing the western edge of "Asia".  But then again, I still struggle with Mexico considered part of North America.
http://www.google.com/#gs_rn=17&gs_ri=psy-ab&suggest=p&pq=map%20of%20iran&cp=17&gs_id=2j&xhr=t&q=map%20of%20Middle%20East&es_nrs=true&pf=p&biw=1097&bih=502&sclient=psy-ab&oq=map+of+Middle+Eas&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48175248,d.eWU&fp=cce259cac67cc26

SKSW6

Quote from: IranianCottager on June 21, 2013, 12:49:00 AM
Quote from: timmyg on June 20, 2013, 03:13:04 PM

In build-up to the match, South Korea's coach claimed he wanted to defeat Iran and therefore allow Uzbekistan to make the World Cup instead of Iran. Iran's coach, Queiroz, responded by saying he will by him an Uzbekistan jersey if they are the team he cares about.

Also, Son Heung-Min of Korea said he wanted to make Iran's captain, Javad Nekounam, cry tears of blood after defeating Iran.

So there was a lot of tension leading up to the match, so it was a huge win for Iran, not only qualifying us for the World Cup, but also defeating Korea for the second time in a row and doing so in style.

Jesus, "tears of blood"?! Maybe that's what the PL's missing. Lets get Brede to say it to Fat Frank before the derby next season.

zschwartz

Quote from: SKSW6 on June 21, 2013, 01:59:04 AM
Jesus, "tears of blood"?! Maybe that's what the PL's missing. Lets get Brede to say it to Fat Frank before the derby next season.
haha, i'm sure its just something to do with the translation... he probably said something along the lines of "i hope he isn't negatively effected by the pollen..." and one thing lead to another.

lamby

It seems weird to me the powers that be consider Iran an Asian team. 
Now I'll probably be monitored by the NSA.   :doh:

Yeh, but Australia now qualifies through and we are actually in Oceania - and there is still an Oceania group. I still have no idea how a country can migrate! I have no complaints, qualifying via Asia is at least fair, as opposed to the old method:

• Beating various farmers in Oceania 15 - nil in one of the Oceania groups
  • Beating NZ 0-2 then 4-0 in a home an away
  • Playing one of Argentina (with Madonna) or Uragay in a home and away
So 2 serious games every 4 years!

I think if you are rich or a middle class educated MALE, then most countries are pretty similar. It is the poor and females where the countries differ.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: lamby on June 21, 2013, 01:39:45 PM

Yeh, but Australia now qualifies through and we are actually in Oceania - and there is still an Oceania group. I still have no idea how a country can migrate! I have no complaints, qualifying via Asia is at least fair, as opposed to the old method:

I think if you are rich or a middle class educated MALE, then most countries are pretty similar. It is the poor and females where the countries differ.

Playing one of Argentina (with Madonna) or Uragay in a home and away

No I'm not. And even if I was, it's none of you're business  :005: 086.gif

cebu

Quote from: lamby on June 21, 2013, 01:39:45 PM

Oz pointed out their situation quite some time ago to FIFA and persuaded the bureaucrats to give them a fair chance - I'm glad it's worked.

Forever Fulham

How did New Zealand manage to lose to Tahiti?  Every player on the Tahitian team, save one, is an amateur.  Did you see the photos of the ocean rowing pantomime celebration they performed on the pitch?  the several hundred spectators captured in the background of the photos were grinning from ear to ear.  Unbridled joy just to be there, playing against other countries.  Pretty darn fantastic if you ask me.  What's the population of Tahiti anyway?