more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(19/06/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 19, 2013, 04:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottagers linked to failed striker bid

Fulham have been mentioned as the mystery club which failed with an £8million bid to sign Udinese's Czech Republic striker Matej Vydra.

The 21-year-old, whose 22 goals on loan at Championship side Watford last season saw him pick up the division's Player of the Year award, had looked set to stay at Vicarage Road next term to try and help the side win promotion to the Premier League following their play-off final defeat to Crystal Palace last month. However, several Premier League clubs, including the Cottagers, have been heavily linked with a permanent swoop for Vydra. His agent Ondrej Chovanec has now confirmed that a bid from one such club was snubbed by his parent side, Italian Serie A outfit Udinese, last week. Udinese's owner Giampaolo Pozzo, who also owns the Hornets, recently stated that Vydra would stay at Watford to help mount another promotion push. Covanec, though, insists that the player is looking to play in a 'top league' next season. He said: "He has a two year contract with Udinese Calcio and there is not yet a decision regarding where he will play next season. He does wish to play in a top league."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-linked-to-failed-striker-bid-1600618.html?

WhiteJC

Leaked Picture! Are Liverpool's first games in 2013-14 against Hull, Fulham & Everton?

A screengrab taken from Liverpool FC's official website is being passed around social media sites on Tuesday, showing the Reds' opening games of the 2013-14 Premier League season.

According to the image uploaded onto Twiiter by @anfieldonline, Liverpool kick off their campaign with an away match at Hull, followed by a home game against Fulham and then the first Merseyside derby of the year away at Everton.

Whilst the official fixture list comes out at 9am on Wednesday, it is unclear whether Liverpool have jumped the gun by uploading these fixtures on their website, or alternatively the Reds may have published a dummy post by mistake. Either way the article has since been deleted.

Update: Jimmy Rice, editor of Liverpool's website has taken to Twitter to call out the below screengrab as fake.

Ed Malyon @eaamalyon
Great opportunity RT @GaryParkinson: Would you like to work at FourFourTwo? http://fft.sm/workforFFT
Jimmy Rice @JimmyRiceWriter

@eaamalyon That fixtures photo is not from our website - it's a photoshop job. I'd have told you if you'd asked.
3:32 PM - 18 Jun 2013

The image of Liverpool's potential opening games of the 2013-14 season can be seen below.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/leaked-picture-are-liverpools-first-games-of-the-2013-14-season-against-hull-fulham-everton/?

WhiteJC

Giovanni Trapattoni thought Damien Duff's wife was to blame for international retirement

Damien Duff has revealed that in an effort to dissuade him from retiring from international football, Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni wanted to speak to the winger's wife.

The Fulham player, 34, who quit after Ireland's ill-fated Euro 2012 campaign, declined the request.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio 1, he revealed: "[Giovanni] wanted to speak to my wife, Elaine. I think he thought Elaine was making me retire, which I don't know where he got that from.

"It was all my own decision but he was like, 'Oh no, Damien, let me speak to your wife.' [I thought] that would be embarrassing and I didn't let him but he nearly got me [out of retirement]."

The former Chelsea player also revealed how he was asked to accept his commemorative 100th international cap at Wembley before the recent friendly between Ireland and England.

He said: "Roy Hodgson, my ex-Fulham manager (now England manager) rang me and said, 'I met John Delaney (FAI CEO) and he said we'd love to have you at the Ireland-England game in Wembley.

"Ashley Cole had his 100th cap so we'd like the two of you to get presented [at the same time]. It's lovely, it's a gold cap. And I was like, 'Gaffer, I just can't do it. I think you know me by now.'

"I actually did want to do it for him because I love him to bits... but for once in my life I have to look after number one and I said, 'Gaffer, no chance, it's not going to happen, so thanks but no thanks."

The Ballyboden native went on to reveal how he eventually got the special cap, after meeting Delaney by chance in London.

"I was with my da and we were in some scruffy pub in Heathrow and [Delaney] goes 'Effin' hell, Duffer, fancy meeting you here, look what I've got for you'. And he presented me with my gold 100th cap in some horrible pub in Heathrow.

"That's more me than getting presented with it in front of the whole world."

Duff is now an ambassador for Heart Children Ireland and spoke about how his son, Woody Luke, was diagnosed with a small hole in his heart 32 weeks into mother's pregnancy when his parents decided to have a 3D scan,
A successful operation was carried out when he was six months old.

He paid tribute to the medical staff who looked after his son: "Doctors and nurses, they should be on the footballers wages, not us, because the things they can do nowadays is just incredible."

The former Blackburn wideman also said that after his playing career is over he plans to return to Ireland and get involved in youth coaching but ruled out managing his country saying the job was "too stressful".

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0618/457333-duff/?

WhiteJC

Pre-Season Friendly Ticket Bundles

The Whites welcome Real Betis to the Cottage on Monday 5th August (8pm) and Parma on Saturday 10th August (3pm). Adults can purchase a ticket bundle for both matches at the same time for just £15 - a saving of £5.

Supporters can also purchase a Family Package (2 adults and 2 juniors) for both fixtures for £30, saving up to £20 in total.
These offers are only available by phone, so please call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (Option 3, Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm) and quote "Pre-Season Bundle" to buy.

This offer will expire 10 days before the match (subject to availability).

Inside the Opposition - Real Betis

One of the oldest clubs in Spain, Real Betis Balompié, S.A.D. finished the 2012/13 season in seventh place and impressed with their attacking football under Pepe Mel.
The club became the first Andalusian team to play in La Liga in 1932 and were also the first club in Spanish football to be given the Real prefix (by King Alfonso XIII in 1914). Now, continuing their royal roots, they are the chosen team of the current King of Spain - Juan Carlos I - who is an honorary member.

Betis enjoyed success in their early years and are one of the handful of teams to have broken up the domination of Real Madrid and Barcelona, as they won La Liga in 1935. Since then, they have enjoyed top flight football in 48 of the 82 years since its inception in Spain and also found success in the Copa del Rey in 1977 and 2005.

A golden age for the club, financially at least, came in 1998 when they broke the world transfer record to sign Brazilian winger Denílson de Oliveira Araújo for a fee of £21.5 million. Now, under Mel's leadership, the club have been back in the top flight for two seasons and will look to improve their seventh place standing next season which saw them gain a UEFA Europa League Qualifying place.

Players to Watch: Beñat Etxebarria, Rubén Castro, Casto Espinosa Barriga
Famous former players: Denílson de Oliveira Araújo, Luis Aragonés, Joaquín Sánchez
Famous former managers: Javier Clemente, Guus Hiddink, Juande Ramos

Inside the Opposition - Parma

Parma FC are one of Italy's premier clubs, finishing the 2012/13 season in 10th place in the Serie A table under the stewardship of manager Roberto Donadoni.

The club have a rich history which has seen multiple successes in European competition over the years but, like Fulham, they have also known what it is like to be at the very bottom and work your way back up to the top. With a commitment to playing attacking football and developing players through their Academy, I Crociati (managed at the time by Carlo Ancelotti) came close to breaking up the domination of Scudetto winners in 1996/97 when they finished second behind Juventus by two points.

In a golden time for the club in the 90s, Parma boasted a fine lineup of former Italy strikers including Enrico Chiesa and Gianfranco Zola and also had the likes of Lillian Thuram, Juan Sebastian Veron, Faustino Asprilla and Hristo Stoichkov on their books.

Now under Donadoni's leadership, the club are looking to get back into the elite of Italy and showed they still have what it takes by beating Internazionale 1-0 in November; finishing with only one defeat in their last five games to secure a place in the top half of the table.

Players to Watch: Nicola Sansone; Gabriel Paletta; Ishak Belfodil
Famous former players: Hernan Crespo; Gianluigi Buffon; Fabio Cannavaro
Famous former managers: Carlo Ancelotti; Hector Cuper; Arrigo Sacchi

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/18/preseason-friendly-ticket-bundle?

WhiteJC

Damien Duff thinks the doctors who saved his son's life should be paid footballers' wages

Former Republic of Ireland international also plans to return to Ireland after he hangs up his boots

Damien Duff and his son Woody
INPHO/James Crombie

Damien Duff has told how the "incredible" doctors and nurses who treated his heart-defect son should be paid footballers' wages.

The soccer legend was left devastated after discovering his unborn boy had a hole in his vital organ.

And he told how in the two months before little Woody arrived, he cried for his lad almost every day.

Duffer, from Ballyboden, South Dublin, recently became the ambassador for Heart Children Ireland.

Speaking on RTE's John Murray Show on Tuesday, the 34-year-old said: "We spotted at his 32-week scan that he had a hole in his heart that wasn't going to heal.

"We were not even supposed to go for the scan, it was just us wanting a picture of our little man before he was born.

"We went for a 4D photo and we ended up finding out he needed an operation after six months.

"[My wife] Elaine was an awful lot stronger than me. I just wanted to get him here because obviously a heart defect is a marker for more serious things.

"When we saw him when he was first born, and we realised it was only a heart problem, we were happy it was nothing else.

"He had an operation after six months in Great Ormond Street and the staff were fantastic there.

"Doctors and nurses, they should be on the footballers' wages not us, because the things they can do nowadays, it's just incredible.

"Myself and Elaine had to bring Woody up to the anaesthetic room and we had to get him in a headlock as they were giving him the gas.

"You just see him drift off and you think, 'I might not see him again', so it was tough."

The Fulham star, who has never bought a house in the UK, also expressed his desire to return to Ireland after his playing days.

He added: "We bought a house in Wicklow six months ago and that's where I plan to spend the rest of my days with the family.

"Elaine is from Bray, Co Wicklow, and I'm obviously from Ballyboden. It's just where your heart is, your home.

"I want my kids to grow up Irish and play with their cousins and just be Irish. It's a no-brainer really.

"So when I hang up my boots in England, I'll be on the first flight home. I'd like to get into coaching kids some day."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/damien-duff-thinks-doctors-who-1962501?

WhiteJC

Fulham in search of Wisdom with bid to sign Liverpool defender Andre on loan

Reds manager Rodgers willing to farm out the England Under-21 international so he can gain more top-flight experience

London calling: Andre Wisdom could join Fulham for the season
PA

Liverpool's England Under-21 starlet Andre Wisdom is wanted by Fulham on a season-long loan.

Wisdom can play right-back - where he filled in well for the Reds - or at centre-half and Cottagers boss Martin Jol is in talks to seal a deal.

Jol's Anfield counterpart Brendan Rodgers would let the 20-year-old out to a club that can offer him more regular action, as he still sees him as part of his future plans.

Rodgers is under pressure to sort the loan soon, but would also like to have Wisdom available for Liverpool's pre-season matches.

Wisdom is on a long-term contract and there are no plans to sell him, but a season of top-flight games with the west Londoners would help him at this stage of his career after just 12 league starts last season.

Fulham, whose right-back Chris Baird has been linked with West Brom, are confident they can pull off an imaginative capture.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-andre-wisdom-wanted-1960887#ixzz2Wd5SrEn4
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

COTTAGERS MAY SWOOP FOR SCOTT PARKER

FULHAM are ready to rival Sunderland for Scott Parker.

Parker, valued at around £4m, is on a list of up to 10 playersTottenham are open to offers for.

He has been told his playing time will be limited next season when Sandro returns from injury.

The Cottagers will be able to offer Parker, 32, regular football and the chance to stay in London, which could give them the edge over Sunderland.

Mackems boss Paolo Di Canio wants to add established names to his squad and has ex-Newcastle midfielder Parker high on his wanted list.

Meanwhile, Fulham boss Martin Jol has vacancies to fill after releasing four central midfielders this summer.

He has already made four signings but only one, Derek Boateng, is a midfielder.

Jol has also signed keeper Maarten Stekelenburg and defenders Sascha Riether and Fernando Amorebieta.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/321265/?

WhiteJC

Hawk-Eye selected as provider for Premier League goal-line technology

Hawk-Eye has been selected ahead of GoalControl as the provider of Goal-Line Technology for the Premier League next season, with clubs voting 20-0 in favour of Hawk-Eye.

We all remember this moment:

And there are plenty more to pick from, this incident coming in last year's FA Cup semi-final:

As clubs from the top division of English football gathered to vote on the two systems today, there was confidence that both would be capable of avoiding controversial moments concerning whether or not the ball has crossed the line.

GoalControl, a German manufacturer, has already been selected by Fifa as the provider for the Confederations Cup that shall take place this summer. Beyond that, if the technology proves to be both successful and accurate, it shall also be used the following year in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. With this technology the flight of the ball is tracked by high-speed cameras positioned around sides of the pitch. Frank Lampard's costly disallowed goal in the 2010 World Cup is what finally began Fifa's push for this technology and a recent statement from them read: "the final decision was based on criteria relating more specifically to the tournaments in Brazil, including the company's ability to adapt to local conditions and the compatibility of each GLT system."

That said Hawk-Eye is also credited with being extremely accurate and has a lot of sporting prestige, its reliability already being proven in Tennis and Cricket. The British-developed system, now owned by Sony, uses seven separate cameras and claims to be accurate to the millimetre. Furthermore in Tennis and Cricket we have already seen it's practicality in showing both the viewers at home and those at the event a computational replay that proves the decision's accuracy.

It seems that GoalControl and Hawk-Eye had a competitive advantage over Cairos and GoalRef because of the formers' camera based systems. As they use cameras the images that they produce can be shown to the public, so that where the ball has landed in relation to the goal line is clear for all to see. The latter two firms use magnetic fields and sensors inside the ball to detect when a goal has been scored.

Much of the resistance to GLT has come from a worry that it would slow down a sport that is naturally freely flowing and that has far less stoppages compared to other sports in which technology is already active. Tennis, Cricket and American football are the obvious examples of sports with regular stoppages that allow officials to take time to examine conclusive replays. Both Hawk-Eye and GoalRef are designed to avoid the need to stop play to examine a goal-line incident though.

Both technologies send and instant signal to a watch worn by the referee that will both vibrate and give the message that the ball has crossed the line. This allows the referee to continue with play if the goal was not scored, or oppositely halt the game and give the goal if it that is right.

Top-flight clubs have today voted unanimously in favour of Hawk-Eye and the 20 competing clubs in the 2013/14 Premier League season will have the equipment installed and tested during the summer. The same will happen at Wembley and it is hoped that the technology will be in place for the Community Shield in mid-August.

FA general secretary Alex Horne speaking to the BBC said "there are occasions [when GLT is needed] and we've seen them here at Wembley, we've seen them in World Cups, we've seen them 11 or 12 times in the Premier League this season alone. So technology that says 'yes, the ball has crossed the line' and lets the referee know makes an awful lot of sense to me."

The fact is, it has made sense to the more or less the whole footballing world for a very long time and its introduction to English football will certainly be widely welcomed.

http://www.eplindex.com/epl-news/30390/hawk-eye-selected-provider-premier-league-goalline-technology.html?

WhiteJC

Schalke confirm interest in Sascha Riether – still a longshot

Schalke manager Horst Heldt has confirmed the club's interest in Fulham right-back sensation Sascha Riether, but warned "if the demand is too high, it will not materialize."

The Bundesliga club wants the former Koln defender as cover for current right-back Atsuto Uchida.

Just because he's on their wish-list doesn't mean this is going to happen, and it seems Schalke have a very strict evaluation of the 30-year-old, but it's a possibility.

He has just signed a new 2-year deal with Fulham, turning his season-long loan deal permanent with a €1.4 million transfer fee to Koln.

That makes this even more unlikely, but word is the two teams are already in discussions.  How serious those discussions are remains to be seen.

I believe this move is relatively a longshot, because of how cautious Schalke are per Heldt's quote, and I would assume Fulham would wish to make a decent profit on the defender before the rid themselves of last year's Player's player of the year.

Therefore, I would imagine the two clubs would have very different valuations of Riether, and I can't imagine the two come to an agreement.

However, if they do, it will be incredibly hard to replace Riether, and Fulham will have a tough time finding someone who can fill his shoes.  Let's hope this doesn't come off, because I can't imagine the club will profit that greatly from his sale.

This isn't the first time Schalke have tried to pull off a deal for a player who just signed a contract with their club.  In 2011 they purchased Austrian left-back Christian Fuchs just after he had signed a permanent deal with FSV Mainz following a season-long loan there.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2013/06/18/schalke-confirm-interest-in-sascha-riether-still-a-longshot/?

WhiteJC

Costa Rica beat Panama to solidify qualifying spot

Costa Rica's players celebrate a goal against Panama during their 2014 World Cup qualifying soccer match at the National Stadium in San Jose June 18, 2013.
Credit: Reuters/Juan Carlos Ulate

(Reuters) - Bryan Ruiz and Celso Borges scored second-half goals as Costa Rica earned a 2-0 win against Panama on Tuesday to maintain their hold on a place for an automatic qualifying place for next year's 2014 World Cup finals.

The United States, who beat Honduras 1-0 earlier on Tuesday, lead the six-team group in the final round of qualifying from North, Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF) on 13 points from six games.

Costa Rica have 11 points from six matches while Mexico are in the third and final automatic place with eight points from six games.

The fourth-placed team, currently Honduras on seven points, meet Oceania winners New Zealand for a further place in the finals in Brazil.

In a rain-swept National Stadium in San Jose, Ruiz opened the scoring in the 47th minute from a free kick before Borges produced a long-range strike to double the advantage four minutes later.

Panama's Blas Perez returned from a stomach virus that had sidelined him but could not get the attack on track for the visitors.

(Writing by Jahmal Corner in Los Angeles; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/19/uk-soccer-world-costarica-idUKBRE95I06U20130619?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401

WhiteJC

Fulham Premier League fixtures 2013-14: Jol's boys start with Sunderland away

Find out who Fulham will face in the 2013-2014 Premier League season

Fulham Fixtures 2013/14

Fulham finished a respectable 12th last season under Martin Jol.

In a season that was solid rather than spectacular, safety was secured but the chances of a top half finish or even a push for Europe faded as the season wore on.

Fans will be hoping for more this time around, especially if Jol can get the best out of top striker Dimitar Berbatov.

Craven Cottage regulars will be looking forward to the West London derby match with Chelsea in particular.

Below we have all the fixtures for the 2013-2014 so you can plan your days out with a trip to the Cottage.

August
17/08/2013   15:00   Sunderland (a)
24/08/2013   15:00   Arsenal (h)
31/08/2013   15:00   Newcastle United (a)

September
14/09/2013   15:00   West Bromwich Albion (h)
21/09/2013   15:00   Chelsea (a)
28/09/2013   15:00   Cardiff City (h)

October
05/10/2013   15:00   Stoke City (h)
19/10/2013   15:00   Crystal Palace (a)
26/10/2013   15:00   Southampton (a)

November
02/11/2013   15:00   Manchester United (h)
09/11/2013   15:00   Liverpool (a)
23/11/2013   15:00   Swansea City (h)
30/11/2013   15:00   West Ham United (a)

December
04/12/2013   20:00   Tottenham Hotspur (h)
07/12/2013   15:00   Aston Villa (h)
14/12/2013   15:00   Everton (a)
21/12/2013   15:00   Manchester City (h)
26/12/2013   15:00   Norwich City (a)
28/12/2013   15:00   Hull City (a)

January
01/01/2014   15:00   West Ham United (h)
11/01/2014   15:00   Sunderland (h)
18/01/2014   15:00   Arsenal (a)
28/01/2014   19:45   Swansea City (a)

February
01/02/2014   15:00   Southampton (h)
08/02/2014   15:00   Manchester United (a)
12/02/2014   20:00   Liverpool (h)
22/02/2014   15:00   West Bromwich Albion (a)

March
01/03/2014   15:00   Chelsea (h)
08/03/2014   15:00   Cardiff City (a)
15/03/2014   15:00   Newcastle United (h)
22/03/2014   15:00   Manchester City (a)
29/03/2014   15:00   Everton (h)

April
05/04/2014   15:00   Aston Villa (a)
12/04/2014   15:00   Norwich City (h)
19/04/2014   15:00   Tottenham Hotspur (a)
26/04/2014   15:00   Hull City (h)

May
03/05/2014   15:00   Stoke City (a)
11/05/2014   15:00   Crystal Palace (h)

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-premier-league-fixtures-2013-14-1950589#ixzz2WfaWqCeY
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Ruiz Inspires Ticos Victory

Bryan Ruiz put in an inspired performance as Costa Rica defeated Panama 2-0 in San Jose on Tuesday.

The Captain scored one and made the other as Los Ticos kept pace with the United States at the top of their CONCACAF qualifying group for the FIFA World Cup. With four games left to play, Costa Rica sit second on 11 points – two behind the Americans, but with a three point cushion over Mexico in third (see full table below).

After a goalless first half at a rain-soaked Estadio Nacional – the venue for three Fulham pre-season friendly matches next month – Ruiz showed great ingenuity to break the deadlock on 47 minutes with a smart free-kick. The set-piece was from an acute angle and a good 25 yards from goal, but rather than float an effort towards the top corner as he usually does, Ruiz used the greasy surface to clinical effect as he hit a powerful low strike which zipped across the turf and in at the far post.

Ruiz then turned provider as he found Celso Borges in space 40 yards from goal. The midfielder took a touch before letting rip with an unstoppable strike that arrowed into the top right-hand corner to give Costa Rica their second goal in five minutes.

That was how things stayed, with the skipper withdrawn to a standing ovation from the home fans on 86 minutes.

Qualifying resumes in September and the first match sees the USMNT visit San Jose in what promises to be a mouth-watering top versus second place encounter.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/19/ruiz-inspires-ticos-victory?

WhiteJC

Jol and Mourinho to clash early in Football League 2013-14 season

FULHAM have an early season brush with Jose Mourinho to look forward to as they launch their 13th straight season in the Premier League.

The Whites visit neighbours Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on September 21, but must wait until March 1 for the return fixture at Craven Cottage.

Martin Jol's men begin their season at Sunderland on August 17 and make a quick return to the north east on August 31 to play Newcastle United, who have hogged this week's headlines with the resurfacing of Joe Kinnear.

In between those matches comes a difficult first home match of the campaign against Arsenal. Second up at the Cottage will be newly promoted Cardiff City on September 28, while supporters will eagerly pencil in a visit to Selhurst Park for another derby on October 19, following the Eagles' promotion via the play-offs.

Champions Manchester United pay a visit to west London on November 2 and Tottenham come calling on December 4.

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/06/19/82029-33495484/?#ixzz2WfbmFOFS

WhiteJC

Fixtures In Focus

There is always an air of excitement the day that the fixture list for the new season is announced and Wednesday morning was no different as Fulham fans began planning their travels for 2013/14.

Full fixture list for 2013/14
We're on the road on the opening day as we head north to the Stadium of Light to face Paolo Di Canio's Sunderland side, before London rivals Arsenal provide the first test at the Cottage a week later.

The last time the Gunners visited Fulham on the second weekend of the new season, Brede Hangeland grabbed the winner in a 1-0 victory (pictured) to claim the first three of our total 53 points in the 2008/09 campaign as we secured a highest-ever seventh place finish.

It's then less than a month until our next London derby, and it's one of the most eagerly anticipated as we make the short journey across SW6 to take on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The reverse fixture against our fierce rivals comes on Saturday 1st March, with returning manager Jose Mourinho revisiting Craven Cottage for the first time since Frank Lampard's brace helped the Blues to a 2-0 win in September 2006.

Former Fulham manager Mark Hughes makes his first return to the Cottage since his solitary season here on October 5th with his Stoke City side, before we welcome the reigning champions Manchester United at the start of November. David Moyes enjoyed a decent record on the banks of the Thames in recent years with Everton, and he'll be hoping to continue that run with United.

Consecutive London derbies are scheduled soon after, as we take on West Ham United away and Tottenham Hotspur at home – fixtures that both ended in disappointing 3-0 defeats last season.

The Christmas period sees the Whites travel to Carrow Road to face Norwich City – but December 26th has often been a prosperous day for Fulham, as we've lost only once in our last five Boxing Day fixtures.

We begin 2014 with a New Year's Day clash at the Cottage versus the Hammers as we look to make it three seasons in our row that we've won our opening match of the New Year.

Our FA Cup campaign will then begin three days later, before a tricky February sees us visit Old Trafford and the Hawthorns, in addition to hosting Liverpool, before we head to Cardiff for the first time in almost 16 years on March 8th. Our previous trip to the Welsh capital resulted in a 2-1 win in the Worthington Cup in August 1998 – John Salako and Simon Morgan on the scoresheet for the visitors that day.

Manager Martin Jol will certainly be looking to end the season strongly with home ties against Norwich City and Hull City sandwiching a trip to his former employers at White Hart Lane, before the curtain is brought down on our 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season with the visit of newly promoted Crystal Palace on May 11th.

Many have predicted a tough campaign for the Eagles following their Play-Off success, and manager Ian Holloway will be hoping for better luck on the final day than he experienced on his last trip to the Cottage when his Blackpool side were comprehensively beaten 3-0 in April 2011.

Ensure you don't miss a minute of the action at Craven Cottage – purchase a 2013/14 season ticket today! Prices start from just £449 for adults and £220 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/19/fixtures-in-focus?

WhiteJC

Why Riether Sale Would Worry Fulham Fans

The mood at Craven Cottage had lifted after the summer signings. With Stekelenburg, Amorebieta and Boateng coming in, it looked like Fulham were finally addressing the issues in the squad with quality players on permanent deals after the endless loan deals from last season.

One of those loan deals, Sascha Riether from FC Cologne, was arguably Fulham's player of the year; he was robbed when Dimitar Berbatov and Giorgos Karagounis finished above him in the fans' vote. Riether joined Fulham on a permanent deal at the end of the season, but the German press has been linking him with a move from Fulham back to Germany, to Schalke in the Champions League, which would obviously be a positive move for the right-back.

A move back to Germany would explain why the permanent arrival of a fans' favourite was greeted with such minimal fanfare on the Fulham website. Only a couple of lines tagged on at the end of Martin Jol's preview for the game against Swansea let the fans know that Riether had signed permanently.

There would be outrage among the fans should Riether be sold, and rightly so. He was a shining light in a disappointing season, and selling him would show that Fulham lack ambition, following on from the disappointing sales of Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey last summer. It would make the fans question whether Mark Hughes was actually right when he infamously said he left Fulham due to the club's lack of ambition.

The mood at the end of last season was gloomy, with hardly any supporters staying after the last home game of the season to applaud the team. The club has obviously decided the way forward is to back Martin Jol, with the three aforementioned signings, but both Amorebieta and Boateng were free transfers and Stekelenburg was only signed for a small fee.

However, if Fulham want to progress and start challenging for Europe on a regular basis, these signings need to be the beginning of a summer of spending, rather than another summer of papering over the cracks while selling our best assets.

Published by: Thomas Mcilroy

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/19-06-2013/why-riether-sale-would-worry-fulham-fans/834998?#ixzz2WfcaodDE