watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

No football so Wimbledon Tennis thread

Started by grandad, June 22, 2013, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

I used to be one of the electric scoreboard operators on Centre Court. We tried to beat the umpire in putting the score up. We did get some smiles from some of them but also some steely glares from others.
Not happy with the draw for the Men´s singles. The club have done everything possible to get Murray into the Final against Djokovic. They have Nadal, Federer & Murray all in the same half whilst Djokovic only has Berdych & Ferrer. It seems they want Federer or Nadal to meet & the winner to play Murray in the semi final. Murray will play all his games on Centre Court as will probably Djokovic.

I suppose we can live in hope that Murray loses to Becker in the 1st round. Then all the Media hype about that foul mouthed brat will be replaced by sensible reporting. The game needs more players with the behavior of Federer & Nadal. They are both true sporting gents unlike Djokovic & Murray.

Enjoy the next fortnight.
Where there's a will there's a wife

jarv

Used to be a fan in the days of Nastase, Connors, Borg etc.  (also, not a bad player myself). However, since the new equipment, huge serves, I find  it a bit dull now. I watch occasionally.
Is Murray a bad lad? I have not watched enough to form an opinion. What does he get up to?

Rhys Lightning 63

Also add in that in the round of 16, Murray has to go through Jo Wilfred-Tsonga as well. So if he wins, at least he'll do it the hard way
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

filham

Wimbledon is great to watch and eases the pain of the football close season for a couple of weeks.
Really rooting for Murray,it would be wonderful to have a British Wimbledon Champion but fear one of three others are more likely to be holding the silverware in two weeks time.

Matt Inglis

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 22, 2013, 06:42:57 PM
Also add in that in the round of 16, Murray has to go through Jo Wilfred-Tsonga as well. So if he wins, at least he'll do it the hard way
Murray vs. Tsonga would be a Quarter Final I am sure.
The whole Nadal debacle is a bit stupid. Murray said himself during Queens that having a one year ranking is not a good system as injuries can affect a player more than they should e.g. Nadal.
I don't understand why you feel that they want Murray to have a final with Djokovic, they're the 1 and 2 seeds and I don't see your logic really. I am really looking forward to this one, the French and Australian before it brought up some really fantastic games (Nadal vs. Djokovic; Djokovic vs. Wawrinka)
Here's to another brilliant tournament!
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Matt Inglis on June 22, 2013, 08:12:47 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 22, 2013, 06:42:57 PM
Murray vs. Tsonga would be a Quarter Final I am sure.
The whole Nadal debacle is a bit stupid. Murray said himself during Queens that having a one year ranking is not a good system as injuries can affect a player more than they should e.g. Nadal.
I don't understand why you feel that they want Murray to have a final with Djokovic, they're the 1 and 2 seeds and I don't see your logic really. I am really looking forward to this one, the French and Australian before it brought up some really fantastic games (Nadal vs. Djokovic; Djokovic vs. Wawrinka)
Here's to another brilliant tournament!

It is 1/4 final, my mistake. Read my bracketology wrong
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Travers Barney

School trip 74 Bushey Middle and recall seeing Francois Durr serve on centre court and think if she serves that fast what must Jimmy Conners be like....remember being so very thirsty that day despite a lovely orange lolly

First crush was Goolagong.

coyw
We are the whites

Lighthouse

Used to take my holidays at the time of Wimbledon. Went and saw Arthur Ashe in the early rounds on an outside court the year he won. Always used to love the women because there was so much variety to the games. The power serving of Francoise Durr. The ball used to aplogise to the net as it crept over.

Agree now that power has spoilt much of the game. Watching players power  smash the ball and grimace and hold a fist every time they win a point has made the game an ugly game to watch at times. Butch Williams will win the womens. The men are more open but the draw is only kind to Djokovic. To be fair in the mens game any man can beat any other on their day. Something to enjoy.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

i dislike the grunting, but looking forward to watching anyway. French Open Men's semi's got me interested again.