more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (23/06/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 23, 2013, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham face fight to keep newbie

Despite only having agreed a permanent deal for Sascha Riether just over a month ago, Fulham are now facing a fight to keep him at Craven Cottage, with Schalke interested, according to reports from the Daily Star.

The German giants are keen to lure the defender back to his homeland, as they step up their transfer plans after securing Champions League football for next season.

Riether enjoyed a successful loan stint in London last term, convincing Cottagers chief Martin Jol to agree a permanent deal for his signature with Koln.

However, this has not deterred Schalke, who have made the right-back on of the transfer priorities.

Fulham only paid £1.3m to push through the move recently, but the Bundesliga side are thought to be willing to offer a significantly higher figure to steal him away.

Although he has openly said that he is happy with his current employers, Riether may be tempted to return to Germany in a bid to force his way into the national team ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

The lure of top level European football may also be another tempting factor, and something Fulham are highly unlikely to be able to promise him in the future.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/fulham/fulham-face-fight-to-keep-newbie?

WhiteJC

Galatasaray keen on Fulham´s Frei

Galatasaray president Unal Aysal and the club's manager Fatih Terim have expressed an interest in signing Fulham forward Kerim Frei.

The 19-year-old has struggled to break through at Craven Cottage since moving from Swiss club Grasshopper in 2011.

He made just eight appearances under Martin Jol last term, and was recalled from a loan spell with then-Championship outfit Cardiff after just three outings.

But Aysal is keen to hand the Turkey international, who was born in Switzerland, a move away from the London club.

"We are interested in Kerim Frei," he told Lig TV.

And Terim echoed Aysal's sentiments, saying: "We have been scouting Frei for over a year and remain interested."

Barring one cap earned with Turkey's Under-20 team, Frei represented Switzerland at all age groups up to Under-21.

However, he elected to represent the country of his father's birth at full international level, rather than that of his own.

He has scored just one goal in 33 appearances for Fulham, which came during a 2-2 draw with Odense during his side's 2011-12 Europa League campaign.

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/June/21/galatasaray-keen-on-fulhams-frei/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Interest in Parker

I`m probably not alone in suggesting that our midfield wasn`t out strongest area last season.

Therefore, I`m also probably not alone when I admit to being pleased that we`re being linked with a move for the Tottenham player Scott Parker,

It seems that Andre Villas-Boas is intent on bolstering his own midfield this summer and that the former England international might be surplus to requirements.

However, there is further West London interest in the player with Harry Redknapp, over at Queens Park Rangers, also reputedly interested.

As for a price, it appears it could be a very modest £4 million!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=322587#ixzz2X1TXktKF

WhiteJC

Heldt confirms Cottage stopper interest

Sascha Riether is a transfer target for German Bundesliga side Schalke just a month after he signed a permanent deal at Fulham.

The highly-rated 30-year-old right-back earned a full-time move to Craven Cottage after impressing Cottagers boss Martin Jol while on a season-long loan deal from Cologne when he made 34 appearances and was named Player of the Season. However, Schalke are now looking to take Riether back to his homeland with the lure of Champions League football in the upcoming season. But club's general manager, Horst Heldt, is adamant that they will not pay a big fee to sign him. "If the asking price is too high, it will not happen," Heldt is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/heldt-confirms-cottage-stopper-interest-1601626.html?

WhiteJC

Premier League move to ban internet site that streams live matches

The Premier League is to take legal action to make internet service providers block a website which streams live football matches.

The governing body - which agreed a new worldwide television deal worth around £5.5billion over three years to start with the new season - is in the process of requesting a court order which would force ISPs to effectively ban their customers from accessing www.FirstRow1.eu, a website based in Sweden.

Legal action: The Premier League is to take legal action against internet sites that stream live football matches

The moves follow on from those made by the music and film industries, which have successfully blocked websites which offer the opportunity to download copyrighted material, such as Pirate Bay, under Section 97 of the 1988 Copyright, Design and Patent Act.

BT is to move into the live broadcast market for the 2013-14 season, having paid £246million to the Premier League for three years - and is set to offer free access to their live sports offerings to its broadband subscribers. Sky also acts as an ISP, and has invested £760million in their football coverage for the next three seasons.

The Premier League has already written to the major UK ISPs, which also include Virgin Media and TalkTalk, to outline its plans to apply for a court order to block www.FirstRow1.eu, which are expected to be put forwards by the end of the month.

Star attractions: The new deal is worth around £5.5bn for three seasons

Should the court order be granted, the ISPs would then have to contest the application, or comply and restrict access.

It is understood indications are the ISPs have no plans to go against any such application.

The Premier League has for many years monitored various websites during live matches and enforced the removal of any streaming content which breaches copyright.

New players: Gareth Bale have entered the market paying £246m for the right to air matches

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2346427/Premier-League-legal-action-sites-stream-live-matches.html#ixzz2X1U5yM4h
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

U20 World Cup Update

Kerim Frei produced a lively display in Turkey's comfortable 3-0 victory over El Salvador on Saturday as the host nation stormed to the top of Group C in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

The tricky winger was withdrawn after 65 minutes as he continues to work towards full fitness following an injury-disrupted season, but by that point he'd already helped his side establish a three goal cushion.

Salih Uçan handed Turkey an early lead when he finished well after good work from Cenk Sahin, and it was a case of role reversal a minute after the restart when Uçan provided an excellent assist for Sahin to double the advantage.

Sahin grabbed his second and Turkey's third on 63 minutes with an impressive run and finish, before Frei was withdrawn shortly after.

The Turks had opportunities to extend their lead further, but they will happily settle for a 3-0 win to kick off their World Cup campaign.

Fulham pair Ryan Williams and Corey Gameiro both stepped off the bench as Australia secured a 1-1 draw with Colombia in the earlier kick-off in Trabzon.

The South American side went into the match as one of the pre-tournament favourites, but they fell behind to a goal from Daniel De Silva – the competition's youngest player at the age of 16 – a minute into the second half. The Perth Glory midfielder produced a flicked shot with the outside of his right-foot that Colombia keeper Christian Bonilla got a touch on, but couldn't keep out.

The Young Socceroos then found themselves under the cosh somewhat as Colombia pressed for an equaliser, and they had goalkeeper Paul Izzo to thank for preserving their lead with a string of fine stops.

Gamiero was introduced to the action as a replacement for Adam Taggart seven minutes before the score was levelled through Jhon Cordoba's accurate finish inside the penalty area.

Winger Williams was then brought on with nine minutes remaining to try and help restore Australia's lead but neither side could find the back of the net again in what was a decent opening result for Paul Okon's side.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/22/u20-world-cup-update?

WhiteJC

Cult Hero

Fulham have had more than their fair share of characters over the years, players that for one reason or another have left their mark on the Cottage faithful. Ian McCulloch reveals our most colourful cult heroes...

He didn't really look like a footballer. In fact, with his long, flowing black locks and his swarthy features, Robbie Herrera looked for all the world like a Colombian drug lord – which is what he was often called, especially by Captain Simon Morgan. But a footballer he was, and a very good one.

"I did take a lot of stick about the way I looked," says Herrera, laughing.  "But I was asking for it with my hair like that. Despite all the flak I took from Morgs, he was my best mate – we shared a room when we travelled away."

Herrera originally arrived at the Cottage in 1993 during Fulham's darkest days, with the very existence of the Club in jeopardy and property developers poised to pounce. It was only a three-month loan from Queens Park Rangers to begin with, but it went so well that not only did the Club try to sign him on a permanent basis, the supporters held a bucket collection on the terraces to help raise the money.

"That was just so brilliant, the fans doing that," Herrera says. "When I first came to Fulham I was just keen to get some games under my belt, but I ended up loving every minute of my spell there. I went back to QPR after the three months, and the two clubs tried to work out a fee to make the move permanent, but they couldn't come to an agreement. It ended up going to a tribunal but Fulham just didn't have the money."

But that's where the mystery deepens. With the transfer window about to slam shut, an anonymous benefactor stepped in, stumped up the readies, and a Fulham player Herrera became.

"I was back at QPR," he says. "And then on deadline day I got a call to go to the Cottage - I was told they'd managed to find the money. To this day, I still don't know who it was. Some people have said it was Hugh Grant, or possibly one of the Directors, Cyril Swain, but I never found out. I don't suppose the bucket collection came very close to raising the money, but it was a fantastic gesture from a wonderful set of fans."

These days Herrera is youth-team coach at League Two side Torquay United, and ambitiously looking forward to the future.

"It's going great," he says. "I'm involved with the reserve side as well and I'm really loving it. The club are doing very well at the moment. We've had a fair bit of success over the last few years - we've reached the Play-Offs and been promoted, so it's a good time for the club, and hopefully it will continue. I've been doing this for three seasons full time now - the set-up here is excellent and improving year on year.

"I've got my 'A Licence', so I'm looking to move on to First-Team coaching at some stage. I'm very happy at Torquay, but I would never turn down the chance to work at a bigger club if the opportunity arose."

Herrera experienced the best and worst of times at Fulham, seeing the Whites sink to their all-time lowest league position, and then soar as Micky Adams' wonderful Team won the promotion that sparked the Club's current renaissance.

Although he missed the end of that season with an horrific shoulder injury suffered at, of all places, Torquay, he was a key member of the squad, a skilful full-back who was as potent going forward as he was solid in defence.

"It was a real low time for the Club when I first got there," he remembers. "But I saw the fortunes change right round with Mohamed Al Fayed coming in. The season I came in on loan was when we were relegated to the bottom division. But then we had that fantastic season when we won promotion. The team spirit was unbelievable - we all got on really well and there was such a good feeling around the Club. There were a lot of good characters there - people like Darren Freeman, Danny Cullip, and the old heads like Morgs - it was a great time. We had such a good bond and so much confidence - we went into games never thinking for a moment that we could be beaten.

"Playing in front of The Enclosure was something special as well - you were so close to the fans you could hear everything that was said, good and bad! Fortunately, most of the comments aimed my way were positive, and I could hear them singing my name, so that was great running up and down the line there. If I could have my time again I wouldn't change a thing, it was that good. I'd just like to thank the fans for making my time at Fulham so special."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/22/cult-hero?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=AllSocial&utm_campaign=MB

WhiteJC

Arsenal and Man Utd ahead of rivals in player development as squad worth outweighs cost

Gunners' stars are worth £119million more than Arsene Wenger paid for them, according to new research from CIES Football Observatory

Making money: Shrewed dealings in the transfer market have also helped Wenger
PA

Arsenal and Manchester United are streets ahead of big-four rivals Manchester City and Chelsea when it comes to player development and polishing rough diamonds.

According to a new study by the Swiss-based CIES Football ­Observatory, seen exclusively by Sunday Mirror Sport, the value of the squads assembled at the Emirates and Old Trafford far outstrips the prices that both clubs paid for them.

The opposite is true at Chelsea and Manchester City. The Annual ­Football Observatory report suggests that Arsenal's squad is currently worth £119m more than Arsene Wenger paid for it.

The squad David Moyes' inherits at Manchester United, meanwhile, is worth £78m more than the transfer fees paid by his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson.

Across the city at The Etihad, the Football Observatory have calculated that, in the current ­market, there's a £51m shortfall between the transfer fees paid and those likely to be recouped by Manchester City's billionaire owners.

Deficit: Jose Mourinho's new squad is worth £31million less than the club paid
Reuters

It's a similar story at Stamford Bridge, with the squad of new boss Jose Mourinho now worth £31m less than the enormous sums splashed on flops such as Fernando Torres and Marko Marin.

Arsenal have proved the masters of picking up bargains overseas and then transforming them into players of the very highest calibre.

But it's Manchester United who lead the way when it comes to turning potential talent into the finished product. The Observatory estimates that Manchester United's current squad has a value of £422m, ahead of Chelsea's £405m and Manchester City's £391m.

Arsenal's squad is valued at £316m, ahead of Spurs (£266m) and ­Liverpool (£249m).

The Premier League team with the lowest value squad is Fulham, with the Observatory believing the ­Craven Cottage playing staff to be worth just £40m, placing it behind recently relegated pair Reading (£42m) and Wigan Athletic (£44m). Despite the incredible wealth of the Premier League big guns, none of them is likely to be writing out a cheque to sign Lionel Messi anytime soon.

At 25, the Argentinian is ­approaching his peak, which is why it would take a mind-blowing £215m to prize him from Barcelona's grasp.

That Observatory price makes him TWICE as valuable as Cristiano ­Ronaldo (£100m) and FIVE times more ­expensive than Gareth Bale (£43m), should the Spurs star ­decide to leave White Hart Lane.

For more information, visit http://www.football-observatory.com/

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-man-utd-ahead-rivals-1980412#ixzz2X1XsbiLz
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Redknapp keen on Baird – report

QPR boss Harry Redknapp is interested in signing Chris Baird, the Sunday People say.

Baird, whose Fulham contract is about to expire, is available on a Bosman free transfer.

The People also suggest Redknapp wants West Ham striker Carlton Cole and that QPR's Stephane Mbia is wanted by Napoli.

Roma have opened talks with R's goalkeeper Julio Cesar, the Sunday Mirror report.

Arsenal have been linked with the Brazil international, who moved to Loftus Road from Inter Milan last year and is set to move on following Rangers' relegation from the Premier League.

AC Milan are also reported to be interested, but Roma are said to have made the first move to sign him.

Meanwhile, The Sun on Sunday report that Redknapp has told Bobby Zamora he will be QPR's number one striker for the coming season.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/redknapp-keen-on-baird-report

General

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 23, 2013, 08:39:24 AM

Sascha Riether is a transfer target for German Bundesliga side Schalke just a month after he signed a permanent deal at Fulham.

The highly-rated 30-year-old right-back earned a full-time move to Craven Cottage after impressing Cottagers boss Martin Jol while on a season-long loan deal from Cologne when he made 34 appearances and was named Player of the Season. However, Schalke are now looking to take Riether back to his homeland with the lure of Champions League football in the upcoming season. But club's general manager, Horst Heldt, is adamant that they will not pay a big fee to sign him. "If the asking price is too high, it will not happen," Heldt is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/heldt-confirms-cottage-stopper-interest-1601626.html?

Again, why post this...? It shouldn't happen, riether agreed to sign for us. Shalke have had since January to approach cologne and dragged their heals. Plus he's a starter for us and isn't apparently going to be for shalke... Only family reasons would make sense or a stupidly high fee because he signed on...

Baider

Quote from: General on June 23, 2013, 11:24:05 AM

Again, why post this...? It shouldn't happen, riether agreed to sign for us. Shalke have had since January to approach cologne and dragged their heals. Plus he's a starter for us and isn't apparently going to be for shalke... Only family reasons would make sense or a stupidly high fee because he signed on...

I read that we actually offered Riether to Schalke

fulhamfever

He is going to Germany with Fulham to play Bremen

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 23, 2013, 11:22:04 AM

Redknapp keen on Baird – report

QPR boss Harry Redknapp is interested in signing Chris Baird, the Sunday People say.

Baird, whose Fulham contract is about to expire, is available on a Bosman free transfer.

The People also suggest Redknapp wants West Ham striker Carlton Cole and that QPR's Stephane Mbia is wanted by Napoli.

Roma have opened talks with R's goalkeeper Julio Cesar, the Sunday Mirror report.

Arsenal have been linked with the Brazil international, who moved to Loftus Road from Inter Milan last year and is set to move on following Rangers' relegation from the Premier League.

AC Milan are also reported to be interested, but Roma are said to have made the first move to sign him.

Meanwhile, The Sun on Sunday report that Redknapp has told Bobby Zamora he will be QPR's number one striker for the coming season.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/redknapp-keen-on-baird-report

Please NO.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

General

Quote from: Baider on June 23, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

Now you're really making stuff up. You heard? You mean you may have heard from a friend who may have got it from a made up story with no quote to it, which may have been made up by a bored journalist... Why would the shalke representative say "if the price wasn't too high.."? If you offer a player to a club it normally comes with a fee attached.

Well at least I know never to trust anything that comes out of your mouth... Makes reading this board easier.

cebu

Actually, no. Fulham had an option to buy him (kind of like a pre-contract, but with a time limit). Unless Fulham chose not to exercise the option, no other club would be allowed to talk to Cologne.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: General on June 23, 2013, 02:04:17 PM
Quote from: Baider on June 23, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

Now you're really making stuff up. You heard? You mean you may have heard from a friend who may have got it from a made up story with no quote to it, which may have been made up by a bored journalist... Why would the shalke representative say "if the price wasn't too high.."? If you offer a player to a club it normally comes with a fee attached.

Well at least I know never to trust anything that comes out of your mouth... Makes reading this board easier.

I imagine that Baider is saying this because he has seen the original article or the long thread on this message board about this http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=30901.0 and using those phrases however bizarre or false the story may be.

RidgeRider

Thanks to WhiteJC for creating this thread everyday. Today's news is a rehash of the same stories that have been going on for more than a week. Riether back to Germany, Frei to Turkey, etc....very slow news week. :)