News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hughes, Riise and Duff. Why are they still here?

Started by Brown@FFC, June 25, 2013, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brown@FFC

Hughes was awful last year. Hangeland was no where near his best last season, but there was a significant improvement in his performances when Senderos played. Especially now we have got Amorebieta, he will be nowhere near the first team. Plus, with the youth that we have got, I'd rather see them get a run out, rather than a 34 year old. Grimmer and Arthurworry should get a look in ahead of Hughes. He is deadwood, and there is no point in having him.

Riise, a legend of the game, with a superb free kick..... once. He is rubbish. He is too slow, he offered nothing going forward, and he offers nothing defensively. We have got our starting left back, who is injured 50% of th season, a younger player who will never make it, and Riise. We desperately need to invest in a left back.

Duff, I know I will get some stick for this, but, he is rubbish. All people talk about are his defensive capabilities and his crossing. But, he is far too old, slow and ineffective. Dejagah and Riether are on another level to him, and so is Kacaniklic. Riether can cross the ball, and Dejagah has learnt how to defend. Duff should be nowhere near the team, and with the other, young, attacking midfielders and wingers we have been linked with, inc Frei, Kasami, Mesca, David, Sako, Downing and Mollo, Duff might as well leave. The only reason he is still here is because Jol has a strange obsession for Riise and Duff, and by the season we had, it doesn't work. You need pace out wide these days, and you don't get that with Duff.

ron

Add to that the amount of times Duff fails to beat the first man with his crosses and corners, then you have a very valid point there.

It's a shame, because Duff has always been everything I want to see in a player who represents this club. But, alas, time passes.

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

EJL

To directly answer the thread title: we need a squad. As much as you dislike a lot of our players, and I'll admit many of them are over-the-hill, we need more than eleven players for the start of next season. Your hatred for Duff - and that's what it is - is staggering. Rather than constantly churning out the same diatribe on here, put his photo on your dartboard and spare us.

Funnily enough, I agree that he shouldn't start - but to say he should be 'nowhere near the team' - not even the bench - is laughable. The pace is withering and his end product isn't quite what it used to be, but he's one of the fittest players in the squad; dare I say, the League, and his defensive qualities that you, albeit briefly mention are invaluable when a team has two marauding full-backs, which is the case with our starting XI.

"The only reason he is still here is because Jol has a strange obsession for Riise and Duff": No, the reason both of those players are still at the club is that they are good, battle-hardened, Premier League squad players who can still do a job when called upon.

"Riether can cross a ball, Dejagah has learnt how to defend": Well what do you know, Duff can do both, which is exactly why he's still here.

Bracken White

Really disagree fundamentally with the comment re Aaron Hughes. Always looked safer than Senderos - though could be bullied off the ball, its true. With the new Venezuelan on board - Hughes is still an excellent understudy & a great servant to the club. Duff/Riise - case for both arguments really - but with Richardson's fitness still a doubt, I don't think its in our practical interests to part with Riise. Don't see that Briggs is good enough to take the step up, either. Fully in accord with the squad argument, too.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Lighthouse

Why are any of us still here? It is a question of chosen reality against a Universe made up out of the ear lobe of a god who doesn't believe he exists. Or believes at best that he is unbelieved. But I digest. Badly of late.

It is very early to ask why players are still hanging around the place. All three are at this moment standing outside Motspur Park, smoking and drinking and upsetting any passer by. Hughes remembers the time he was the best defender we had at the club. I saw very little last season to suggest he is 'rubbish'. Not convinced that Brede was that much better with Senderos. But certainly he is slow but his positional sense is still good.

Duff is a fine defensive player. He too has lost pace, but he is still clever at running off the last defender and although not an out and out wide player, can still do damage and also protect the full back.

Then there is Riise. Yeah well he is just really rubbish. :Get Coat gif:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Classic94

All three are dispensable. Riise was possibly our weakest player last season which is some feat. Duff still has something to offer as a squad player, but I agree that he should not be starting. Hughes should move on. It would be a shame to see his career fizzle out here given his services to the club.

DiegoFulham

Come on we only see the players on the field, we don't see what they do in training each and everyday....
@DiegoFulham follow for a follow back

St Eve

Hughes is better than Senderos, Duff is still a good squad player and Riise is the best we have right now. A better question is why are Richardson and Sidwell still here?

jarv

Experience and Loyalty.

Hughes had the best years of his career at Fulham and I am sure he (and Duff) have both thoroughly enjoyed their time here. Even though getting past it (but not there yet) they can be relied upon. That, imo, is why they are still here.
Risse? I hope he achieves a bit more consistency. He had some decent games but not enough.

jarv

Sorry Steve, didn't read yours but Sidwell.? Easy, he is the only ball winner in midfield and his absence was clearly why Fulham finished so badly. Perhaps he will learn not to dive in this season and stay on the pitch for 90.

EJL

Quote from: St Eve on June 25, 2013, 01:28:41 PM
Hughes is better than Senderos, Duff is still a good squad player and Riise is the best we have right now. A better question is why are Richardson and Sidwell still here?
For the same reason: we need players next season. It's all very well and good chucking out the guys who are past 30 years of age, but we'd need replacements and those cost money. Why spend money when he have two perfectly capable Premier League players? If those guys go, the powers that be will only replace them with more thirty-somethings or Bosmans.

Re Sidwell, I'll admit my first reaction to his double red was "ship him out in the summer". But after cooling down and further thought, what would be the point? He was our most consistent central-midfielder last season; he gets in opponents' faces and he's a more than decent box-to-box player with a good enough range of passing. So what if he's over 30 and he can't tackle to save his life? The latter is a bi-product of being an aggressive ball-winner such as Sidwell.

valdeingruo

You could make a case for every one of our squad with your open ended statement. Why is Frei still here, why is Hangeland still here, heck why is Reither still here? You have a few good points about them not being what they were, but EJL is right we need a SQUAD.

Many of these players, not just the three you mentioned could be considered "past it" However you just see them on the field of play. Yes Riise used to be able to hit a mean free kick, still can. He just isnt what he used to be I get that, however he could be mentoring our squad on how to do it. You just dont loose that kind of knowledge as a footballer. It goes the same with Duff, he could be teaching our youngsters how to beat a man and Hughes, how to position themselves to defend. We need their footballing brains to help our youngsters progress. Its the same with any work environment, the old dogs help the new ones to survive.

As for calling each player rubbish I have a strong dislike with that. Could you do a better job? We moan about players mistakes, its natural being a supporter, however just bashing a player because he isnt what he once was is absurd.

Fulham is good at getting rid of what you would call "dead wood" and if the manager or the rest of those didnt see a purpose of them being here they would be gone. They still could be on their way out depending on the next few weeks, its too early to say.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Brown@FFC

Quote from: St Eve on June 25, 2013, 01:28:41 PM

Have you seen Hughes play, he shows nothing. Senderos at least is a strong unit. Duff and Riise are just taking wages, not playing effective football. Richardson I can sort of agree with, but Sidwell, we don't win without him. He had to take over the reigns of Murphy and Dembele, he had a good year.

Brown@FFC

Quote from: andersons11 on June 25, 2013, 01:48:30 PM
You could make a case for every one of our squad with your open ended statement. Why is Frei still here, why is Hangeland still here, heck why is Reither still here? You have a few good points about them not being what they were, but EJL is right we need a SQUAD.

Many of these players, not just the three you mentioned could be considered "past it" However you just see them on the field of play. Yes Riise used to be able to hit a mean free kick, still can. He just isnt what he used to be I get that, however he could be mentoring our squad on how to do it. You just dont loose that kind of knowledge as a footballer. It goes the same with Duff, he could be teaching our youngsters how to beat a man and Hughes, how to position themselves to defend. We need their footballing brains to help our youngsters progress. Its the same with any work environment, the old dogs help the new ones to survive.

As for calling each player rubbish I have a strong dislike with that. Could you do a better job? We moan about players mistakes, its natural being a supporter, however just bashing a player because he isnt what he once was is absurd.

Fulham is good at getting rid of what you would call "dead wood" and if the manager or the rest of those didnt see a purpose of them being here they would be gone. They still could be on their way out depending on the next few weeks, its too early to say.

If they all became coaches, I would be happy. But as long as they stay away from the pitch. And I am not a professional footballer, they are, and I saw not much professionalism about them last year. The football was atrocious.

Brown@FFC

Does anyone realise we have one of the best youth systems in England. What's the point on having 30+ year olds on the bench when we can have the youth getting a chance of football, and potentially advancing their career.

Brown@FFC

Quote from: EJL on June 25, 2013, 11:05:00 AM
To directly answer the thread title: we need a squad. As much as you dislike a lot of our players, and I'll admit many of them are over-the-hill, we need more than eleven players for the start of next season. Your hatred for Duff - and that's what it is - is staggering. Rather than constantly churning out the same diatribe on here, put his photo on your dartboard and spare us.

Funnily enough, I agree that he shouldn't start - but to say he should be 'nowhere near the team' - not even the bench - is laughable. The pace is withering and his end product isn't quite what it used to be, but he's one of the fittest players in the squad; dare I say, the League, and his defensive qualities that you, albeit briefly mention are invaluable when a team has two marauding full-backs, which is the case with our starting XI.

"The only reason he is still here is because Jol has a strange obsession for Riise and Duff": No, the reason both of those players are still at the club is that they are good, battle-hardened, Premier League squad players who can still do a job when called upon.

"Riether can cross a ball, Dejagah has learnt how to defend": Well what do you know, Duff can do both, which is exactly why he's still here.

Duff can only do that. Riether and Dejagah are the complete couple.

EJL

Quote from: Brown@FFC on June 25, 2013, 01:59:22 PM
Does anyone realise we have one of the best youth systems in England. What's the point on having 30+ year olds on the bench when we can have the youth getting a chance of football, and potentially advancing their career.
You can't just have seven 18 year olds on the bench - there needs to be some balance.

valdeingruo

Quote from: Brown@FFC on June 25, 2013, 01:59:22 PM

Thats something you will have to address with the manager, weve only seen two of our players recently make the squad. Three if you count Etheridge, we will have a better picture, come the friendlies. That and if you go too extreme we could end up like Aston Villa, sweating it out.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

EJL

At first you said Duff is useless and now you're agreeing that he can cross a ball and defend effectively. Which one is it?