watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rodallega sets himself double figure target

Started by kevin, June 27, 2013, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

This Rodallega bashing is uncalled for. The season's over why not just move on?

valdeingruo

Its good hes set himself a goal, however the general consensus on this board when he signed was good. Why bash a player who hardly featured in comparison to players in his position?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Big Martin Jol

Well, he got ten in 2009-10 and nine in 2010-11 so it's not unthinkable.

I enjoy having him here, he adds another dimension to our attack with his pace and aerial ability. The problem is that he didn't really bed in at the start of the season and after that was ditched in favour of Ruiz or occasionally Petric, just getting substitute appearances or one-off starts.

It can't be easy to find any form with such sporadic appearances - and whilst someone like Berbatov can take or leave a chance and still find himself guaranteed a starting spot, for someone like Rodallega every shot on goal must carry ten times the pressure.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Riverside

I thought we looked better each time Rodellaga started up front . He added energy and pace .

I would be happy to see him start regularly there . But that is not going to happen while Berba is fit .

He looked lost though on the wing .

Mladens Nan

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on June 27, 2013, 09:08:59 PM
Well, he got ten in 2009-10 and nine in 2010-11 so it's not unthinkable.

I enjoy having him here, he adds another dimension to our attack with his pace and aerial ability. The problem is that he didn't really bed in at the start of the season and after that was ditched in favour of Ruiz or occasionally Petric, just getting substitute appearances or one-off starts.

It can't be easy to find any form with such sporadic appearances - and whilst someone like Berbatov can take or leave a chance and still find himself guaranteed a starting spot, for someone like Rodallega every shot on goal must carry ten times the pressure.

I agree, and to put your point into perspective, the season that he scored 10 goals in the PL, he played 38 games, and the season he scored 9, he played 36 games. There's a definite link in his whole career of more games, more goals. I like Rodallega and of the few times I went to CC, he scored or worked his ass off for the team, but I don't think Jol is going to ditch his lone striker (berba) formation any time soon... But who knows, new season, new faces, new formation..? Pre-Season friendlies may give him a chance to prove himself, I very much doubt Berbatov will play much part, he doesn't seem the type to get involved in such 'pointless' fixtures haha!

grandad

I like the idea of players setting themselves targets. The problem with Rodallega is that he does not get enough playing time. If he played 38 full games I am sure 10 goals is not beyond him. He won´t get half that number of games so it will be difficult.
Where there's a will there's a wife

jarv

I agree with Riverside, I think the team looked better when he was in it. Had he played a bit more, who knows?  Best we have in the air, just need to get more crosses in.

Humbled

Quote from: jarv on June 27, 2013, 10:55:43 PM
I agree with Riverside, I think the team looked better when he was in it. Had he played a bit more, who knows?  Best we have in the air, just need to get more crosses in.

:plus one:

Lighthouse

Yes I agree that we were a better team going forward when he was playing up the middle. He created space for others and always managed to find dangerous positions. I just do not understand why Petric came on as sub instead of Rodders. Petric is slow and missed open goals compared to Rodders half chances.

Good luck to him next season and I hope it is with us.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Max Headroom

Unfortunately that means he is leaving for a championship team.

MisfitKid

Quote from: Max Headroom on June 27, 2013, 11:49:17 PM
Unfortunately that means he is leaving for a championship team.

I was going ask if this was for Fulham...?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Alan

Quote from: Nero on June 27, 2013, 07:15:27 PM
And if he said 5 the same people would be on saying only 5 he should be aiming for double figure if he a forward

Exactly, the poor sod can't win...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

Ruiz11

Rodallega has had three full seasons in English football, scoring 10, 9 and 3 goals (lastly at Fulham). Two seasons ago he was injury hit and only managed 2, so we'll take that as an outlier as he hardly played. In his first half-season in English football at Wigan scored 3, so maybe after a year of acclimatising to London he is ready to kick on. However, it still seems unlikely that he will displace either Bryan or Berba, although we have seen that despite his lack of finishing ability he can be a real handful, such as against Man Utd, Newcastle and West Ham last season.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Alan on June 28, 2013, 05:45:30 AM
Quote from: Nero on June 27, 2013, 07:15:27 PM
And if he said 5 the same people would be on saying only 5 he should be aiming for double figure if he a forward

Exactly, the poor sod can't win...

Great point.

Markffc123

I like rodallega-and hes a willing runner and tryer-i dont see why he cant get double figures-he just has to play more or make 1 hell of a impact of the bench

Forever Fulham

Ain't going to happen.  He's not a finisher. 

RaySmith

He could come good, and start taking  his chances and banging in the goals.

Look at Zamora - ridiculed for his finishing, but became a goalscoring hero.