watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who is The best Defender (Ever) In your eyes

Started by Markffc123, June 28, 2013, 02:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markffc123

Im not saying giorgio chiellini is the best Ever but last night he was phenomenal against spain..just curious to see who others thought was the best defender in the world at the moment or who is the all time best?

EJL

Thiago Silva is the one a lot of people talk about when it comes to 'best' defenders.

God The Mechanic

Maldini has to be up there for consistent quality spanning about fifteen decades.  Nesta was pretty outstanding, as was Cannavaro.

Most of my picks would end up being from the late 90s early 00s Italian teams tbh :P

Junichi

My all-time back line would be..

Cafu  Puyol   Beckenbauer  Maldini

GoldCoastWhite

Beckenbauer and Maldini for me, and I may cop flak for this but always thought Tony Adams was a terrific defender at his best. Not on the best ever list but one of my best English defenders.

cmg

FB: Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Bixente Lizarazu

CB: Carlos Puyol, Franco Beresi, Gaetano Scirea

The Big Three: Paulo Maldini - could play anywhere across the back
                    Franz Beckenbauer - more than just a defender
                    Bobby Moore - well, Beckenbauer (and Pele) said he was the best

God The Mechanic

Quote from: cmg on June 28, 2013, 03:36:38 PM

Roberto Carlos as a footballer was tremendous, but in a list of best defenders? ;P

cmg

Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 28, 2013, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: cmg on June 28, 2013, 03:36:38 PM

Roberto Carlos as a footballer was tremendous, but in a list of best defenders? ;P

Well, he'd be good enough for me (although, personally, I'd prefer Lizarazu) - but if you are questioning his defensive abilities and would prefer someone a little more robust? Well then, I'll unleash Claudio Gentile and stand well back.

sunburywhite

Johnnie Cochran

The way he got OJ off was a miracle
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Steve_orino

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 28, 2013, 04:31:23 PM
Johnnie Cochran

A mid-year vote for "FoF Comment of the Year"
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Patrick

Maldini/Beckenbauer.....and maybe Baresi....

f5shooter

Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 28, 2013, 03:08:57 PM
Maldini has to be up there for consistent quality spanning about fifteen decades.  Nesta was pretty outstanding, as was Cannavaro.

Most of my picks would end up being from the late 90s early 00s Italian teams tbh :P

Fifteen decades?  Jesus, that is quite a career.

bobby01

Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

jarv

Agree with most (Maldidn, Beckenbaur) but best English defender (in his day) Bobby Moore by a million miles.

Rhys Lightning 63

Cafu - Franz Beckenbauer - Duncan Edwards - Paulo Maldini
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

cmg

Edwards is a bold choice. However his death at 21, the biggest individual loss English football ever suffered, meant that his potential was never fully realised.
At the time of his death it was not even completely established what his ideal position might have been. He might well have settled down as a defender and would doubtless have been a great one, but his range of talent was so wide that he could really have played anywhere.
I saw the last game he played in England (at Highbury) and a few b&w televised matches and confirm that he was an awesome talent. Even at that young age he dominated the scene.

Take a look at this goal against Germany and wonder if a player who could do that would have been employed solely as a defender.
Also includes an 'assist' and a neat goal from The Maestro.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/germany-1-england-3

nevzter

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 28, 2013, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on June 28, 2013, 05:22:02 PM
Johnnie Cochran

I thank you

All things considered, that may be the comment of the decade.  I'm speechless and humbled.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

..Kya.ffc..

Quote from: nevzter on June 28, 2013, 08:35:34 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 28, 2013, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on June 28, 2013, 05:22:02 PM
Johnnie Cochran

I thank you

All things considered, that may be the comment of the decade.  I'm speechless and humbled.

I agree, if we had a yearly "FoF Awards" that would be in a category with odds to win.
Beers may have been involved in this post.

danffc21

Ramos is the best centre half playing currently in my view. world class