watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sako worth £4m?

Started by JackyFulham90, June 29, 2013, 10:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

I read we are unwilling to match the £4m fee for Sako?  Should we spend that sort of money on Sako?

Lighthouse

If the reports are true then it appears Sako wants to move and has asked Wolves to lower their price. He says he was told that if they didn't get promoted they would allow him to leave. As they are now relegated it appears they are rightly trying to screw as much money out of clubs as they can.

Is he worth 4million? He is worth what anybody wants to pay for him. Is he worth 4m to us? It depends why we want him. A replacement or a squad player or a player that will play every week in the starting 11. Hard to say.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JIMMY D

No way is he worth 4million. We can do so much better!

zschwartz

if he can be played in a different role than wide, maybe. as-is our wings are well staffed. Plus, unlike many other positions, the wide players are all relatively young.  the club are right to attempt to get a lower price for a player under these circumstances.  if other clubs express an interest and jol believes he can be converted... maybe.

if we were preparing for a campaign that had a european front, sure.

JHunter_Fulham4Life

This sounds like just another excuse not to spend money. I don't buy this "MAF's lying low until the last minute." We need people in place NOW, and the people we've gotten already aren't good enough to stop buying/looking!

And to answer the question, yes, I think 4 million is about right -- though if Marseille or Lyon go above that number, we lose.

grandad

For God´s sake. 4 mil is petty cash by today´s standard. The Club is supposed to be getting something like 80 mil from TV rights alone. 5% of that is peanuts. C´mon McKintosh, pull your finger out.There are only so many out of contract players & decent loanees out there. Splash the cash & prove to us we have ambition. Other mid table teams are spending 10 to 12 mil on a single player while we are quibbling about a measley 4 mil.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bulgariawhite

Well said grandad. Totally agree

MJG

Quote from: grandad on June 30, 2013, 08:37:33 AM
For God´s sake. 4 mil is petty cash by today´s standard. The Club is supposed to be getting something like 80 mil from TV rights alone. 5% of that is peanuts. C´mon McKintosh, pull your finger out.There are only so many out of contract players & decent loanees out there. Splash the cash & prove to us we have ambition. Other mid table teams are spending 10 to 12 mil on a single player while we are quibbling about a measley 4 mil.
for a club our size and one that is trying to have a balanced budget then 4 m is not peanuts. It could be 40% of Jols budget for players. Is he worth spending 40% of our transfer budget or would it be better spent on what we really need, which are central midfielders.  We only have 2 senior ones turning up for training next week.

grandad

Quote from: MJG on June 30, 2013, 09:12:31 AM
for a club our size and one that is trying to have a balanced budget then 4 m is not peanuts. It could be 40% of Jols budget for players. Is he worth spending 40% of our transfer budget or would it be better spent on what we really need, which are central midfielders.  We only have 2 senior ones turning up for training next week.

MAF has always said there will be funds available for the right player. I agree that we badly need a couple of playmakers but young ones are right out of our price range & they may have potential but one needs experience in that position. This is why we will probably go for a 30+ out of contract player.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Arthur

We appear to be haggling over whether he is worth as much as £4M or merely just £3M.

I can understand Wolves' stance. From their point of view, any limitation MAF may have placed on our spending is arbitrary. The fact remains (as Grandad says) that PL clubs are getting additional millions and millions from the new Sky deal. For Wolves to look at our hugely-swelled bank account as justification for their valuation of him is not unexpected, nor does it seem unreasonable.

I can imagine the deal being concluded for a total fee £4M on the proviso that the final £1M is dependent upon his making a specific number of appearances.

Jack Fulham

The same amount we paid for Bouazza. I'd say go for it.

SaltfordWhite

I don't really get why we are showing so much interest in a guy who got relegated from the championship when not many others really are.

Admin

Quote from: SaltfordWhite on June 30, 2013, 01:44:41 PM
I don't really get why we are showing so much interest in a guy who got relegated from the championship when not many others really are.

Riether got relegated with Koln but has been brilliant for us.

HFD Wolf

(Posted this on another thread,, probably more relevant here)

Hi all

Wolves Fan here..

Firstly thanks for accepting my request to post onto these forums. I just had to comment on the news that I read this morning that Sako has requested permission to talk to Fulham. This was no big secret as it was posted on twitter about 6 weeks ago by a fellow Wolves player that Sako was going to be moving to Fulham, it just wasn't confirmed by anyone but no smoke without fire and all that.

Last season Sako was without doubt our best player (but competition was low tbh) he's exciting to watch, pacey and knows where the goal is. At times though, usually about 70 minutes into a game, he looks uninterested and goes off the boil but many Wolves Fans believe he just gets burnt out as he is expected to do everything at Wolves (when under pressure kick the ball for Sako to chase).

He looks clumbsy when running with the ball, almost looks like he has lost control or about to fall over (remember Faustino Asprilla?) but generally he gets past defenders and gets in a shot at goal. He can also cross in a wicked ball with pace.

Despite the fact that it looks inevitable that we will lose him, I do not know ANY Wolves fan that wouldn't tap him on the back, thank him for his services and wish him the best of luck at a better placed club than Wolves. Our demise down to League 1 is in no way any fault of his and we all appreciate his efforts to keep us up.

As for Fulham,, If Sako joins you then tbh I think his agent has done really well as he will be well suited to a Club on your level. He isn't good enough to play for your Arsenals or Manchester Uniteds but he is a premiership player. Don't expect much more than a traditional winger who can beat defenders with ease and put in a great cross or run thru a defence from out wide right upto the keeper and slot the ball past him.

There were some suggestions that he might play as a full back or centre mid on here well imho you need to forget that, that's not SAKO.

As for the question is he worth 4 million?? I would say that if you asked Kenny Jackett or any Wolves fan do you want 4 million in the transfer kitty or do you want SAKO to stay? 99% of the time we would opt to keep Sako.

Come on you Wolves  Cheers!

cmg

We must be a nightmare to negotiate with. I appreciate that we are not silly with money and that must always be so. But I sometimes think we overdo the East Street Market haggling bit.

£4million isn't that much for a decent player with some potential sell-on value. I suppose after hours of argy-bary we will get him for £3,999,999 and think ourselves smart operators for getting him for under £4mil.

Fernhurst

Does 8 million for Tom Ince put this more or less in perspective?

Cardiff buying a bit of potential IMO..... Not a prolific finisher either.

Good luck Cardiff but I fancy our fullbacks to handle him with ease.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

mangoputney

+1 I do wonder why we are sooooo unwilling? Are wages are a lot lower than direct competition, ?debt cleared?, long term Prem team, loads a tv money and we faff about
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

JackyFulham90

Surely we can afford £4m? With Frei looking like he will go to Turkey it will be very like for like

SaltfordWhite

Quote from: Admin on June 30, 2013, 04:39:56 PM

He did, but he was relegated from the German top flight into the second, not the English second into the third.

I won't knock Sako, that's not what I am trying to do. I was just wondering why we are apparently chasing him so hard.

FFC1987

Quote from: SaltfordWhite on July 01, 2013, 08:50:41 AM
Quote from: Admin on June 30, 2013, 04:39:56 PM

He did, but he was relegated from the German top flight into the second, not the English second into the third.

I won't knock Sako, that's not what I am trying to do. I was just wondering why we are apparently chasing him so hard.

In another thread, have you read the Wolves fan very insightful breakdown? They reckon he was brilliant and just didn't have the players around him for the team to compete. Sako apparently carried them at times. Well worth a read.