watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham managers, best and worst??

Started by jarv, June 30, 2013, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Having just read about Rodney Marsh and his problems with Buckingham, the manager, made me think we have had a lot of managers. Who are the best and worst in your opinion.

Best....Roy, Alec Stock, Mickey Adams.  Not necessarily in that order..

Worst...Buckingham, Campbell (followed Stock I think), Branfoot and of course SANCHEZ. Was he the worst of all time?

name your top and bottom 6.

Airfix

What about Persil?  Apart from some cup success, we were truly woeful under him.

Lighthouse

Stock,Tigana,Roy,Adams,Mcdonald

Alan Dicks stands out as easily the worst manager for us.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

Duggie Livingstone was manager when I started my punishment. And very good he was, too. Macedo, Cohen and Langley were down to him and he converted Roy Bentley from centre-forward to centre-half. Pretty impressive credentials.
Bedford Jezzard took us into the top-flight and continued Livingstone's work.

Buckingham tried to change things, but was largely a flop because of his preferrence for ageing has-beens over emerging youth (this despite, as he never tired of telling anyone who would listen, supposedly having 'discovered' Johann Cruyff.)

Alex Stock was great - but was too bright to want to work with the crooks who were then infesting the club.

Macdonald was sacked over matters irrelevent to football (he had an affair, or something. Big deal!). He was one of the brightest of young managers.

We then had to endure a motley crew until Mickey Adams saved us. Unfortunately he wasn't a big enough name for the new regime.His departure was the only downside to our rejuvenation.

Wilkins was rubbish, as usual. Many people liked Keegan, although I thought we were lucky to get rid of him in the manner we did.

Tigana's side played the best football I have ever seen here and he must be high on the Best list.

The coming season will, I feel, be decisive for the present incumbent.

cmg

Oh, I forgot one.

Frank Osborne deserves a mention, he was everything at the club for 40 odd years including player, secretary, general manager and director. Probably did as much as anyone to make Fulham what it is.

MJG

THE WORST...Alan Dicks. Not much more to be said on the subject.

SaltfordWhite

Alan Dicks without a doubt, which is a shame because he seemed like such a nice bloke.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

From the website
In this section, we take a look at the men who have been handed the role of Fulham Manager down the years...

Martin Jol 2011-present
In appointing experienced Dutchman Martin Jol in June 2011, Fulham has one of Europe's most astute managers at its helm.

Mark Hughes 2010-2011
Former Manchester United and Barcelona striker Mark Hughes was appointed Fulham Manager on 29th July 2010. He resigned a year later.

Roy Hodgson 2007-2010
The appointment of Roy Hodgson as Fulham Manager in December 2007 was one of the most important in the Club's history.

Lawrie Sanchez 2007
Initially Caretaker Manager for the remaining five games of the 2006/07 season, Lawrie Sanchez was handed the job on a full-time basis.

Chris Coleman 2003-2007
Ex-Whites player Chris Coleman became the youngest Manager in the Club's history when he was appointed in the summer of 2003.

Jean Tigana 2000-2003
Part of the great France midfield of 1984, Jean Tigana was the surprise choice to take over at Fulham in the summer of 2000.

Riedle and Evans 2000
Fulham striker Karl-Heinz Riedle and Roy Evans were handed temporary charge of Fulham in March 2000 after Paul Bracewell's dismissal.

Paul Bracewell 1999-2000
Named Fulham Manager in 1999, Paul Bracewell had hoped to continue where his former mentor Kevin Keegan left off.

Kevin Keegan 1998-1999
When Ray Wilkins departed, Kevin Keegan took over First Team duties. From the start, Fulham set the pace in the Second Division.

Ray Wilkins 1997-1998
The arrival of Kevin Keegan as Chief Operating Officer and Ray Wilkins as Team Manager brought glamour and media interest back to the Club.

Micky Adams 1996-1997
With Fulham going nowhere fast in the Third Division in the winter of 1996, Player-Coach Micky Adams took on First Team responsibilities.

Ian BranfootIan Branfoot 1994-1996
The arrival of Ian Branfoot as Manager in 1994 was a controversial one. The football was not pretty but his term did mark a turning point.

Don Mackay 1991-1994
A former goalkeeper with Forfar, Dundee United and Southend United, Don Mackay was appointed to the Fulham job in January 1992.

Alan Dicks 1990-1991
With Fulham close to the relegation drop zone in 1990, Alan Dicks arrived at Jimmy Hill's behest to help Ray Lewington.

Ray Lewington 1986-1990, 1991, 1994 & 2007
Relegated and on the verge of financial collapse, Ray Lewington lifted Fulham morale.

Ray Harford 1984-1986
Initially Caretaker Manager, five wins from six gams saw Ray Harford handed the Fulham job in a full-time capacity in 1984.

Malcolm Macdonald 1980-1984
Malcolm Macdonald had spent an unhappy few months as a player at Fulham, but he proved to be a revelation as Manager.

Bobby Campbell 1976-1980
During the summer of 1976, Bobby Campbell had arrived at Fulham as Coach. By the end of the year he was had been named Manager.

Alec Stock 1972-1976
Alec Stock arrived at Fulham in 1972, leading the Club to Wembley for the FA Cup Final with West Ham United just three years later.

Bill Dodgin Junior 1968-1972
Johnny Haynes took over as Manager temporarily in 1968. On his recommendation, Bill Dodgin Junior was handed the job the next month.

Sir Bobby Robson 1968
Former player Bobby Robson was called back from Canada to manage the Club he had left as a player some six months earlier.

Vic Buckingham 1965-1968
It was easy to see why the Fulham Directors were impressed by Vic Buckingham's application for the Manager's job.

Bedford Jezzard 1958-1964
Few people have made a bigger contribution to Fulham over the last 100 years than the modest and unassuming Bedford Jezzard.

Dugald Livingstone 1956-1958
Dugald Livingstone was named Team Manager of Fulham in January 1956. He was to have a major impact on the Club.

Bill Dodgin 1949-1953
When the Second Division title was won, Fulham turned to Southampton's Bill Dodgin to be the Club's new Team Manager.

Frank Osborne 1948-1949 & 1953-1956
Frank Osborne steered Fulham to the Second Division title in just his first season at the Club.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Rhys Lightning 63

Due to my age, there have only been 6 managers whilst I've supported the club, so I can do this easily:

1 - Roy
2 - Jol
3 - Coleman
4 - Hughes
5 - Tigana
6 - Sanchez
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

cmg

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 30, 2013, 03:52:17 PM
Due to my age, there have only been 6 managers whilst I've supported the club, so I can do this easily:

1 - Roy
2 - Jol
3 - Coleman
4 - Hughes
5 - Tigana
6 - Sanchez

Wow - at least you rated Tigs as better than Sanchez.

Might I be right in guessing that you came on the scene in the latter part of Tigana's tenure?
Not only was his football breathtaking, but Marlet wasn't his only signing. On the credit side can be put Collins, Saha, Boa, Goma, VDS, Leggy, Steed and he improved several players out of all recognition (Rufus, Hayles).

Holders

Best: Tigana, Roy, Macdonald
Worst: Buckingham, Sanchez

Not necessarily in that order.

Never could quite get my head around Stock but he must be up there. Missed opportunity - Robson. Greatest affection - Micky Adams.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: cmg on June 30, 2013, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 30, 2013, 03:52:17 PM

1 - Roy
2 - Jol
3 - Coleman
4 - Hughes
5 - Tigana
6 - Sanchez

Wow - at least you rated Tigs as better than Sanchez.

Might I be right in guessing that you came on the scene in the latter part of Tigana's tenure?
Not only was his football breathtaking, but Marlet wasn't his only signing. On the credit side can be put Collins, Saha, Boa, Goma, VDS, Leggy, Steed and he improved several players out of all recognition (Rufus, Hayles).

I did come in very late as I was a rugby boy up until the age of 12/13. Also he's French and me and the French have never quite gotten along, which is why I don't want this Sako deal to go through
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

MJG

For me Tigana had the biggest influence on individual players I have ever seen. Run of the mill players like Brevett suddenly in the space of a close season looked like footballers.  Thats what coaching can do, and we dont see enough of it in england.

cmg

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on June 30, 2013, 04:15:23 PM

I did come in very late as I was a rugby boy up until the age of 12/13. Also he's French and me and the French have never quite gotten along, which is why I don't want this Sako deal to go through

Fair enough! Pity about the French; they, all 65 and a half million of 'em, speak very highly of you (although the poor loves always have such great difficulty in showing their effection - apart from for wine, cheese and themselves).

MOR :

"To the top with Alec Stock"- the best...

"Dicks OUT"- by far the worst for me...

cmg

Quote from: MJG on June 30, 2013, 04:25:11 PM
For me Tigana had the biggest influence on individual players I have ever seen. Run of the mill players like Brevett suddenly in the space of a close season looked like footballers.  Thats what coaching can do, and we dont see enough of it in england.

I expect you were at that first home match. Crewe wasn't it? We stood there with open mouthed amazement. "It's like a pinball machine out there," said a mate. Then there was Birmingham on the Friday. And then Stockport and...we have lift off! Amazing.
Some of the players looked out of it, but it is to the great credit of the coaching staff that they were soon brought on board.

MJG

My old man went to the preseason friendly at Brentford i think, and rang me as I was holiday and said he could not believe how we were playing. Pass pass pass.
I loved the way we played that first season of Tigana.
While the European final journey was great, the promotion season has been THE highlight of 35 years of supporting fulham.

Holders

Quote from: MJG on June 30, 2013, 04:46:10 PM
My old man went to the preseason friendly at Brentford i think, and rang me as I was holiday and said he could not believe how we were playing. Pass pass pass.
I loved the way we played that first season of Tigana.
While the European final journey was great, the promotion season has been THE highlight of 35 years of supporting fulham.

Agreed. I would watch Fulham with my jaw dropped in disbelief. It was like Brazil at their best that season. Undoubtedly the best football we've ever played.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

TheDaddy

Personally i really didnt care for Don Mackay, Lawrie Sanchez or Bracewell
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "