News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Changes to the offside rule , listen up you females!

Started by epsomraver, July 02, 2013, 10:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

The Premier League could be thrown into chaos next season as a new Fifa amendment to the offside rule - and who is 'interfering with play' - has caused concerns among leading officials and could add to further confusion for fans.

I hope this means any one in the goal area is offside.

The Equalizer

Time to buy some new salt shakers and pepper pots!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

MJG

Big team=Not offside
Small team=Offside

Its as simple as that

Burt

Premier League football next season could be thrown into chaos as a FIFA amendment to the offside rule has caused concerns among leading officials and could add to further confusion for fans.
The amendment, which has been brought in by the governing body and comes into effect from today sees a considerable change to the wording of Law 11 and alters what assistant referees must take into consideration when deciding whether a forward is 'interfering with an opponent' or 'gaining an advantage'. 

On the surface, the alteration to one of football's most-talked about and controversial laws appears to reduce the uncertainty – but Sportsmail can reveal that English officials, who met for their annual summer conference this weekend, are privately worried the change will only breed further confusion among players and supporters, placing the spotlight once again on to the officials.

The law change, which was presented to officials at a conference named 'Realising Your Potential', omits the ambiguous wording of 'obstructing the opponent's line of movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent'. 

This part of the offside law, referring to what constitutes 'interfering with an opponent' had previously been left too open to the subjective interpretation of officials and has now been replaced by 'challenging an opponent for the ball.'

Less uncertainty should be provided by the clarification of what the assistant referee must consider when judging whether a forward has 'gained an advantage by being in an offside position'. 

Last season, Sir Alex Ferguson was unhappy after James Milner's opener in the Manchester derby was allowed to stand. The City midfielder's rocket deflected off Michael Carrick and flew into the back of David de Gea's net. But Ferguson claimed the goal should have been chalked off, as Carlos Tevez - in an offside position - drifted across the Spanish goalkeeper's line of vision at the moment Milner pulled the trigger.

'The first goal, the player is right in front of David de Gea,' said Ferguson. 'There is no way the linesman on that side is giving it but if that is not interference I don't know what is.'

In addition to the already established principles that a forward – should he find himself in an offside position - is offside if a ball rebounds to him off the woodwork or from a rebound to him off an opponent, the new wording also makes clear that a deliberate save or deflection rebounding to an opponent in an offside position means that the linesman must raise his flag. 

'INTERFERING' – what the law used to say
"interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.
"interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movement or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent. 

INTERFERING – what the law now says
"interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.
"interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movement or challenging an opponent for the ball.   

GAINING AN ADVANTAGE – what the law used to say
"Gaining an advantage by being in that position" means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a goal post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.

GAINING AN ADVANTAGE - what the law now says
"Gaining an advantage by being in that position" means playing a ball...

That rebounds or is deflected to him off the goal post, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position.
That rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position.
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2352258/Offside-rule-changed-FIFA--confusion-Premier-League.html#ixzz2Xt0UHO00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Admin

Quote from: MJG on July 02, 2013, 12:08:15 PM
Big team=Not offside
Small team=Offside

Its as simple as that

I was going to write something similar. They do what they want anyway.

Berserker

Ok chaps, can you explain the off side rule with all it's quirks to me, with diagrams. A powerpoint presentation would be good. A guy once tried to explain it in a National trust teashop with cutlery  and condiments, but we both ended up confused.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Sheepskin Junior

It's a lot more helpful for me as an official, there is always confusion and debates on whether or not the flag should be raised
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Holders

That's even more complicated than trying to explain cricket: "the side that's not in goes out and tries to get out the side that's in until they're all out and have gone in, then the side that wasn't in goes in until they're all out..." etc.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

epsomraver

Much simpler to just have any player inside the box is interfering with play because they must distract the the GK.

Lighthouse

I know, let's have the rule as it was before they sodded about with it. Before the refs opinion about interfering with the Mother In Law if your birthday was on the first Monday after a full moon. Good grief you are either offside or not. CHANGE THE RULE AS IT WAS.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulhampete

Why the sarcastic 'female' inference? I bet my wife knows more about the rules of football than half of the posters on this board. What a pathetic attempt at cheap humour.

filham

The words of that great irish player, Danny Blanchflower, made some fifty years ago should be remembered.

" If you are not interfering with play then what are you doing on the pitch"

Simple isn't it, but the lawmakers just have to complicate and muddle things.

Berserker

Quote from: Fulhampete on July 02, 2013, 07:02:05 PM
Why the sarcastic 'female' inference? I bet my wife knows more about the rules of football than half of the posters on this board. What a pathetic attempt at cheap humour.

Don't worry i'm still wait for a chap to reply to my post about explaining it. Going for an indian now so hoping it can be explained with onion bhaja's this time
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

Quote from: Berserker on July 02, 2013, 08:07:12 PM

Don't worry i'm still wait for a chap to reply to my post about explaining it. Going for an indian now so hoping it can be explained with onion bhaja's this time

Well, I may be wrong but the "interfering with play" piece comes in to it's own when the chickpea that escaped from the chana massala dish cannons off the bottle of Cobra and moves in front of the mango chutney stain.

Airfix

Quote from: Burt on July 02, 2013, 08:56:36 PM
Quote from: Berserker on July 02, 2013, 08:07:12 PM

Well, I may be wrong but the "interfering with play" piece comes in to it's own when the chickpea that escaped from the chana massala dish cannons off the bottle of Cobra and moves in front of the mango chutney stain.

Only if the lime pickle hasn't tracked back.

cmg

Quote from: epsomraver on July 02, 2013, 02:25:54 PM
Much simpler to just have any player inside the box is interfering with play because they must distract the the GK.

I agree with this.

Reminds me of my favourite Gordon Strachan comment. Talking about his favourite centre-back, Claus Lundekvam (the one of whom,  after he was concussed in a game, Strachan was asked if he was OK. Strachan replied, "Dunno, he's always like that.") he said, "I've no idea why he comes up for set pieces. He never gets near the ball. If we had a dead body lying in the penalty area the ball would hit it on the head several times a season. Lundekvam can't even manage that. Every time he comes up for a corner the referee should book him for time wasting."

MasterHaynes

So Taylors antics for Newcastle last season standing and jumppimg around in just in front of the keeper before the kick was taken was illegal but not called correctly by the officials allowing Newcastle to score will now be legal. So will we now start seeing at every freekick just outside the area players standing behind the wall making funny faces, doing a moonwalk and general distracting the keeper. Ridiculous.

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: MasterHaynes on July 03, 2013, 11:20:36 AM
So Taylors antics for Newcastle last season standing and jumppimg around in just in front of the keeper before the kick was taken was illegal but not called correctly by the officials allowing Newcastle to score will now be legal. So will we now start seeing at every freekick just outside the area players standing behind the wall making funny faces, doing a moonwalk and general distracting the keeper. Ridiculous.
"INTERFERING – what the law now says "interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate. "interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movement or challenging an opponent for the ball."

Clearly distracting an opponent while in between the second last defender and the goal will be ruled as offside.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507